This Game Gets So Many Passes For All The Glitches and Bugs It Has!

ananda

To clarify... I platinumed the game and earned all the trophies for the Hearts of Stone DLC, but it was a very long, frustrating journey!!! I obviously like the game, but no one on this forum who has played this game from the release date can deny that it has been riddled with glitches, bugs and problems that have impeded progress and/or trophy accumulation. It has been a great test in patience for me and I am sad to say I have failed it! I remember needing to play most of the game without any of the updates applied at one point just to amass some trophies that became impossible to get after certain updates. And the more updates in, the more bugs it created!

I'm asking why does the Witcher 3 get a pass with the great amount of issues and bugs it has when games like Batman: Arkham Knight and Lords of the Fallen got basically blasted for their bugs, which also have been remedied? Is it because we love CD Projekt RED so much that we are blind to their faults or what?

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by ananda

I personally never ran into any bugs, except the horse being a bit meh... But if this game does get a pass, it's because it's a fully functional game with a great story. 

Also having a large open world where loads of stupid things can go wrong is easier to understand than something like Batman that came from a massive studio with lots of experience. CD Projekt Red are a smaller team, plus yeah they treat their customers with respect and don't try and nickle and dime them.

Witcher 3 is my favorite game ever (I think), but I'll quite happily admit the horse is fucking awful, compared to MGS5.

Edited by LetsTurnJu-On
  • Like 2

It's an incredibly massive game. It's gonna have problems. To CDPR's credit, their post-launch support of the game has been absolutely unprecedented. They have been actively participating in the community and patching the crap out of the game since day one and continue to do so. Arkham Knight, if you're talking about the problems it had on PC, was completely broken. Unplayable. W3 was not even close to that level of incompetence.

I guess it's just a matter of bad luck. I only encountered one "trophy breaking" bug during my 200+ hours with the game and it got patched eventually. Nothing game breaking though, so I guess I got lucky.

• Like 2

That's the trend with massive RPGs like this one, pretty much every Bethesda RPG could serve as just as good of an example. It's only natural that with games of this scale, glitches are bound to be missed in testing. But fixing those issues, especially when gamebreaking or progress hindering, should be top priority as soon as they get reported. At the point that Witcher 3 is at now, i don't think gamebreaking glitches should be tolerated anymore.

I only ran into one bug, where a quest giver had died, so I couldn't fulfil a quest.  It was patched eventually.  I ran into what I would call small glitches which forced me to reload a save, but it's an RPG so I am usually constantly saving anyway.

I will agree with you that it does get a pass compared to other games, but that is because of the quality of the game itself.  Just like Skyrim got a pass (from me anyway!)  I never ran into any glitches on AK but I was probably playing the fully patched version. 

One minor bug or me, where Roach's legs went whack for literally 6 seconds. The entire playthrough I did was smooth and gorgeus.

Unlike the bugs on Lords of the Fallen; I almost platinum'd it on my old account, but one of the ending trophies wouldn't pop. I beat the game 3 times aiming for the one ending, but nada!

As for Arkham, not played it.

Ouch, think I will skip that one then.

Good game, I loved it, don't get me wrong. But if you want 100%'d/Platinums from games you enjoy. Skip it. I have no clue if it has been patched, I played it a few months back, a good year after its release. I got ever trophy, including the two ending trophies, the third ending trophy didn't pop. So I rage-sold the game.

• Like 1

It's a bit like The Elder Scrolls games, filled to the brim with bugs and glitches... barely any patches by dev, but they release DLCs and whatnot. Then you got fan patches of noticeable size, with new ones coming out for years after release. Yet these games get like 9-10/10.... seriously? The games weren't finished.

Edited by MMDE

Why does the game get passes on its glitches? Because there's a tendency for people here and in other game forums to absolutely blast a game they aren't interested in for every slightest little fault or screwy policy, but when their own favorite games do the exact same thing they're either strangely silent or openly hypocritical. It's somewhat along the lines of how biased news networks like Fox News and MSNBC operate: if the entire underlying premise of your show is how pie is awesome, and then one day pie isn't awesome, what're you going to do? Be strangely silent or openly hypocritical, and that's how "spin" works. Everybody does it and it's hilarious to watch.

Yeah but Batman was unplayable on the PC so they have a right to complain about that. 

I remember when people complained about the grass in the Witcher though. Now that is stupid, its just grass. I didnt encounter a single game breaking bug while i played and i completed to 100%. Sure Roach sticks his head in the ground like an Emu from time to time but who cares. its funny

I played on release week btw

Edited by Gibbo_0113
  • Like 1

I guess for the same reason that we forgive Fallout for all of its flaws... Cause we love it and there is so much more to it than its faults.

A little like if you had a kid that constantly gets into trouble : You could strangle him every time you see him, but you still love him, it is what it is ;)

It's the same thing as with Bethesda games. People stand in line to apologize for these studios, meaning they'll never be held responsible for anything. Skyrim on PS3 finally became such a gigantic clusterfuck that even Bethesda couldn't turn a blind eye anymore. That didn't stop them from completely ignoring Fallout 3, which to this day is still a disaster on PS3. (GOTY edition becomes literally unplayable, but hey, 9/10!) They make millions, yet treat QA like it's a joke. I had a friend who worked for Bethesda as a QA and he stated numerous times when coming home from work that a lot of bugs he reported were scratched off the list and ignored. He also warned me not to buy the PS3 version before it ever came out, but I didn't listen. I should have.

The excuse of "the game world is just so big and so many things happen, that it's only natural" is such bullshit. If you make a game of that proportion, then you either do it right, or don't do it. Don't half ass it and then use the genre you chose as an excuse for shortcomings. You don't decide to build a house yourself with a leaking roof, but tell your family it's only understandable because building a house is complex. I also don't understand how the sheer amount of things I can do in Skyrim (which is actually very limited to personal RPing, but that's a different topic) is what causes certain NPCs to just randomly become hostile when I load into the companions base. I've had to restart before because Varstag, or whatever his name is, decided to suddenly grow irrationally hateful towards me and started to attack me on sight while everyone else was just sitting there drinking and eating.

I hate playing games like this. I feel like walking on egg-shells the entire time, waiting for the next inevitable crash or glitch that fucks up a quest. The entire time I played Skyrim I felt on edge. Like the system was never more than a second away from crashing. It's very hard to describe, but it's simply a feeling of discomfort and the closest thing I can think of is balancing yourself on a plank while traversing a chasm.

I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, but that's because I've heard of these gamebreaking glitches and progress-prevention bugs. I can't handle those. CDProject seems to be pretty involved with their game post-launch, so maybe everything will stabilize, if it hasn't already.

Edited by Paige-ID
  • Like 1

I, like many others here, have only had minor glitches with the game. Most of them have been visual problems. Roach has ran down hills in hilarious fashions and npcs have high stepped over nothing but I've not had anything that halted my progress. I didn't even have many framerate issues but I've seen videos of people that did. All in all I think people give better games more leniency.

The difference between Bugthesda's QA and CD's is that CD is a much smaller company and I can understand how some bugs creep through, they don't have the resources Bugthesda do. It's not a defence, it's just the nature of things. They can't spend money on QA they don't have. 

But yeah good point, I do think many games get away with bugs because of their size. But looking back on GTA games back on the PS2, I can't remember any bugs at all and they were pretty big for their era, especially San Andreas.

But unfortunately most of the community wants to get up their own asses and get pissy when anyone comments on a game they like. They also insist on paying for overpriced season passes or just paying full price for half a game and all the other shit AAA game making companies try to pull off.

I had never heard of CD Projekt Red prior to The Witcher 3, so saying I love them just because of who they are doesn't apply to me. That said, yes, I have encountered a number of glitches and/or bugs, albeit small ones and nothing that hindered my progress from the game. A few side quests and/or trophies couldn't be completed due to issues, but CDPR has since fixed those. And that is why I love them. Post-launch they have released patch after patch after patch to try and improve the game. Do these fix existing issues? Yes. Do they cause new issues? Yes. But then CDPR goes right back in to try and fix the new issues. I personally love The Witcher 3 due to the length of its campaign, diverse side quests, likable characters, interesting locales to explore, and RPG elements.

• 4 weeks later...

I always saw people complaining of bugs and all that but in my 700 hours of gameplay I only had 2 bugs that really annoyed me,it was a bugged side-quest that wouldn't allow me to speak to the quest giver properly...and the other was a bugged side-quest with Triss,although it annoyed the hell out of me because I like to have everything done to 100% I simply moved on and both quests are now fixed.Later on I couldn't get 1 trophy of the HoS DLC which was bugged for everyone but I moved on and now its fixed too.The only bug that made me stop playing the game was a bugged chest in the DLC quest to get the Wolf Amor Set...I only stopped playing though because that quest was the only thing I had left to do in the game cuz I did literally everything there is to do on it,including climbing every mountain in the game and exploring every lil bit of nook and cranny.So I had to stop but now the chest is fixed too.

I gotta say CDPR messed up with the patches but...The thing is that Witcher 3 is so amazing beyond the understanding point that its lil flaws and mistakes are irrelevant...if you look of what the game is and what it has achieved as a game its minor bugs and glitches becomes very very small.Contrary to those other games that are nowhere near the greatness of Witcher 3 and are riddled with bugs those can't get a pass,like Bethesda for instance who are synonimous with bugs and glitches without counting poor tech.And BTW I never cared for CDPR in fact I even disliked them...but after Witcher 3 ha they're simply the best multiplat devs out there and of course among the 5 best in the world.

PS:I never had those Roach bugs that everyone talks about...the only problem I ever had with Roach was when I entered in combat and he started running in circles in the middle of the fight disturbing it.Perhaps because of the pace I played and play the game...cuz I saw people playing in unbelievable fast-paced ways that basically forces the game to not work properly,no idea how people can play the game like that...ruins all the experience.

Edited by Welmosca