God of War IV HUGE Leak, Norse Mythology, Bearded Kratos and more!

MarsipanRumpan

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG *Breathing* *Crying* *Dying* SHIT IM SO HAPPY GUYSSS DAMN OMG, a tear of joy for this <3

Okay...

Hello PSNP, so today/yesterday a HUGE God of War IV Leak came out on the internet and to ad it seems that a lot of my theories is true and a lot false. :D
As we know GoW IV is already announced and it even has some info, its not a prequel its a reboot and a sequel (Wich I've explained in the past), its also heavily hinted at a new mythology.

So today a concept artist that had been working at Santa Monica Studios for 4 months released a website with tons of new concept arts for an upcoming unnanounced game by the studio. He quickly deleted the website as he leaked some heavy information (This could be proof that the leak is true) and people like Shinobi602 has even commented on it and websites like Eurogamer has been writing about it.

Edit: Also GAF states "We remind you we also expect a cinematic trailer with “Gorgon & Hydra”, according to our previous leak." but Im not sure about this :)

awxccTl.png

As you may notice, Kratos looks wiledly different, new clothes, new beard, new weapon and the ashes is gone. In the leak it also confirms that it is Kratos, as some concept arts says 'As Kratos brushes up against' and so on. So far my theory seems to be CORRECT! Kratos also has an axe wich he seems to be able to cut down wines, build pathways and fight with. I could see him dropping his blades so he could forget his past and simply has an axe as a weapon instead. 
Here's proof that its Kratos!

uCaumMb.jpg

So a ton of concept arts came out, showing locations in the Norse mythology like Alfheim, a place in Sweden I belive (My country :o ), boats and other stuff. Heres an example of Alfheim: 

rNaZIQo.jpg

So to catch up.
There is Kratos with a beard and an axe. He can cut vines and also seems to be able to make bridges/walkways. Seems to have lost his ashes.

The game is set in Norse mythology.

Kratos will visit Alfheim, "Land of Fairies", one of the Nine Worlds and home of the light elves (Concept shows wall and temple door)
Kratos will be in one or more prisons. 

The surrounding enviorments could interact with the character (if Kratos brushes-up against the vines, they will expell visible spores)

Whispers is going around stating it will launch with PS4.5 and it will be a lot better looking on that system and have better frame rate but still launch on the normal platform and look astounding.

IM SO STOKED <3 And my theory seems to be correct in some ways and super wrong in others, check it out :P

There are a ton of concept arts so heres the link to all of them on Gaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200150760&postcount=1

Here is Eurogamers article: http://www.eurogam:er.net/articles/2016-04-05-massive-god-of-war-4-leak-points-to-norse-mythology-setting

Polygon says: "We've contacted Sony for comment on the apparent leak and will update with any response. However, sources have indicated to Polygon that the artwork is legitimate." article: http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/5/11366326/god-of-war-4-concept-art-kratos-norse-mythology

Here is Shinobi's comment: https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/717018912383221761

Additional concept arts: https://imgur.com/a/Bm7Aa
Edit: My theory :P http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/25545-god-of-war-3-4-talk-major-gow3-spoilers/

Edited by MarsipanRumpan
  • Like 3

I love the God of War games, but they're always so short. If there's one thing and one thing only I want them to change in God of War IV, it is definitely the length. Beating a game in 2 or 3 days - without rushing, that is - is really disappointing.

Supposedly, this game will be a PS4K exclusive (http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/03/31/report-ps4k-gpu-launch-titles-revealed/) but... yeah. That would be incredibly stupid.

(Btw, I think the biggest leak here is that this is actually a Tomb Raider/God of War cross-over - Kratos is carrying Lara's pickaxe, which means you probably end up killing her at some point)

• Like 1

I love the God of War games, but they're always so short. If there's one thing and one thing only I want them to change in God of War IV, it is definitely the length. Beating a game in 2 or 3 days - without rushing, that is - is really disappointing.

Supposedly, this game will be a PS4K exclusive (http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/03/31/report-ps4k-gpu-launch-titles-revealed/) but... yeah. That would be incredibly stupid.

(Btw, I think the biggest leak here is that this is actually a Tomb Raider/God of War cross-over - Kratos is carrying Lara's pickaxe, which means you probably end up killing her at some point)

If the whole thing about a PS4k is true and this is going to be a launch title with it, that would totally suck. I have no intentions of upgrading to a Ps4k when I don't even own a 4 k TV.

• Like 3

Yeah, well they're on a huge hiring spree and it seems like the game will be huge, not that it means it will be longer.

They wouldn't do that, they can't and Sony realises this. Im sure they will be doing a version for 4.5/4K but I can honestly guarantee 99.9% that it won't be exclusive for it. 

Pretty excited about this. It's been a while since I've played a GOW game and I could use some more mindless hack'n'slash in my life right now.

Although, I'm not buying a PS4K so... hopefully it's not an exclusive.

Edited by simula67
  • Like 2

If this is true then damn nice. Very interested to hear this idea of "reboot/sequel" the have.

Meanwhile I'll keep dreaming about coop campaign or something of the sort...Well, who knows?

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

I highly doubt it will be a PS4K exclusive, it will not make sense when the normal PS4 is one of the best selling consoles already from this generation, they obviously realizes that the majority of people will not be able to afford the new version so they will lose a huge amount of sales.

The PS4K will probably have a better resolution and maybe FPS but I think that's all, it will not be like a next gen PS5 thing already.

• Like 2

Yay, finally. I wonder if it'll have sequels where Kratos goes to kill the Roman, Egyptian, Aztec, etc. gods too. Btw that Alfheim concept art looks very nice.

Or Lara gives it to Kratos after a certain mini game

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 3

If this is true then damn nice. Very interested to hear this idea of "reboot/sequel" the have.

Meanwhile I'll keep dreaming about coop campaign or something of the sort...Well, who knows?

Well I've done a theory on what Cory meant what he meant and basically I think Kratos will go to / be in a new mythology (Now leaked) and that he will try to go back to

Athena as she was the real enemy during all of the God of War games even though you never knew that she was.

My original theory was that Athena sent him there or that he ended up there, but now I could see Kratos hiding in a cave, leaving his blades, growing a beard and getting used to an axe. And well, the rest I guess we'll see am I right my friend? ;)

• Like 1

It might not be Kratos Kratos, if you know what I mean. Would be a weird fit to take a character from Greek mythology and move him to Norse mythology. 

Rather, they might be going for the Norse equivalent of Kratos, who is probably Tyr. (Both were associated with authority in their respective pantheons.)

So it might be a "time is a circle", rebirth kind of story and reboot. 

It might not be Kratos Kratos, if you know what I mean. Would be a weird fit to take a character from Greek mythology and move him to Norse mythology. 

Rather, they might be going for the Norse equivalent of Kratos, who is probably Tyr. (Both were associated with authority in their respective pantheons.)

So it might be a "time is a circle", rebirth kind of story and reboot. 

Rick Riordan does a good job at mixing mythologies in the same world (so far he's done Egyptian, Norse, Greek and Roman), although it is starting to get a little silly (you mean to tell me that there are four groups of mythological monsters causing havoc in the world, and nobody has noticed!?).

GoW Kratos and mythology Kratos aren't intended to be the same person, I think (I did some searching to confirm this, and the Greek Mythology wiki says he isn't).

• Like 1

Well I've done a theory on what Cory meant what he meant and basically I think Kratos will go to / be in a new mythology (Now leaked) and that he will try to go back to

Athena as she was the real enemy during all of the God of War games even though you never knew that she was.

My original theory was that Athena sent him there or that he ended up there, but now I could see Kratos hiding in a cave, leaving his blades, growing a beard and getting used to an axe. And well, the rest I guess we'll see am I right my friend? ;)

I would go for the fact that he somehow ended up there because:

At the end of 3 we see a trail of blood after Kratos is left alone and for dead. Maybe he limped and somehow slowly made his way through there.

Also, I have a small guess on why they chose Nordic Mythology for this one:

With Poseidon killed, sea levels abruptly rose to monumental levels. However, I've read some news months ago that Nordic countries tend to rise faster than sea level. Do you think these guys took that into account for making this setting? I think they did so and the Nordic countries (or regions) might be one of the few surviving ones.

That, or the Nordic gods protected their people, took notice that Kratos did that, and now they're hellbent on killing him. Both seem plausible imo.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

I would go for the fact that he somehow ended up there because:

At the end of 3 we see a trail of blood after Kratos is left alone and for dead. Maybe he definitely limped and somehow slowly made his way through there.

Why would Kratos do this though? He stabbed himself because he was done, and didn't want to go on

• Like 1

Why would Kratos do this though? He stabbed himself because he was done, and didn't want to go on

Who's to say something didn't change his mind and will be explained through a flashback on this new entry? 3's ending is left open ended for interpretation :hmm:

But you have a point too. It would look weird at first glance.

Edit: Something weird happened and it didn't show spoiler tags when I put them there.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

Rick Riordan does a good job at mixing mythologies in the same world (so far he's done Egyptian, Norse, Greek and Roman), although it is starting to get a little silly (you mean to tell me that there are four groups of mythological monsters causing havoc in the world, and nobody has noticed!?).

GoW Kratos and mythology Kratos aren't intended to be the same person, I think (I did some searching to confirm this, and the Greek Mythology wiki says he isn't).

I didn't mean to suggest that Mythology Kratos and GoW Kratos absolutely were the same person. I appreciate that they take artistic licence with these things and may have just liked the name. 

Still, I'd like to see them go with a new character who fits the pantheon. Keeping things like the red tattoos ties the games and characters together nicely though. 

"We remind you we also expect a cinematic trailer with “Gorgon & Hydra”"

The Hydra again? I thought she was killed in GOW1. Also two Gorgon sisters died in the first two games. Maybe it's Stheno this time? (she's in Ascension's multiplayer though)

Edited by Lance_87

The only thing i don't like about this is the weapon he's using... an axe? I hope this is just a concept art thing or a placeholder, for me Kratos' main weapon are the Blades of Chaos he's always used, similar to Dante which always has that one main sword, i woulnd't mind if he had an axe as a secondary weapon but i really hope his Blades of Chaos were not replaced by an axe.

Other than that, i'm really excited for this! Even the new look doesn't bother me, he looks a bit like Deimos with the beard. I just knew they were working on this after all the posts about hiring people to make "a big project".

I'm thinking that 1st picture is from a part of the game that shows the past, before he got the ashes of his wife & child onto his skin, i don't think they would replace the classic "white skin" look of Kratos. Either that or the model is just a placeholder. :P

Edited by renatabls
  • Like 1

Yeah, why the hell not. I'm quite unsure how i feel about keeping Kratos as the lead character. His story has been told and it seems like they're only keeping him for brand recognition. A different kind of main character would have been better in my opinion, hell any attempt at making this one a direct sequel would only bring this game down. But nordic mythology is a good choice, not my first but interesting regardless. Gameplay's gonna be great as usual, so there's more of that to look forward to.

• Like 1