I Am Alive - IGC Review

Remilia Scarlet

Some pretty hard critics indeed, and on the core aspects in a game nonetheless.

Very nice, thank you for taking the time to do this lil sis. I'll keep this one in mind while watching a gameplay to see if it's worth my time.

I actually really like this game. Some good mechanics for a survival game, (i.e. pointing an empty gun at someone and them surrendering, it would happen). Even prefer this game to TLoU, sure it doesn't have to production value, but it's still better in my opinion.

• Like 1

Yeah, definitely. I enjoy writing reviews of games. Not really sure what to do next, though.

Teach me senpai! I've always wanted to write reviews, but have never been that great at doing them xD 

That being said, can't wait for more :)

Good that I try this out on PS+ as well and i's okay so far. Having knowing somewhat back at 2012 when I watxhe video walkthroughs of uberhaxornova, I kind of knew what to suspect except the damn stamina is really annoying where I don't know how in the hell he can be this tired by climbing things and even running slow can make him fatigued.-_- Alright game where I haven't beaten yet, but wish I was more prepared on which trophies I should unlocked first of a guide where I was about to do survivor, but heard the retries is so hard that you'll get one chance before you die having to start over of the chapter. Also, the way how they said that the normal description trophy saying I won't get most of the trophies parts of it and the bonuses really misleading where I just unlocked one trophy of pressing the square button by making a surprise attack of the enemies. 3/5

Nice review. Just finished my first run and I'd rate it 4/10. Didn't really enjoy this game. Controls were just god awful and that pretty much sucked all the enjoyment out of gameplay.

Still need to do Survivor run some day, but I'm sure that day isn't soon.

• Like 1

Yeah, definitely. I enjoy writing reviews of games. Not really sure what to do next, though.

It's actually nice to see someone doing reviews on PS+ games, I hope you do more in the future ;)

Maybe you're already writing on something else, but I would actually love to hear an honest opinion on either MXGP 2 or DiRT Rally :P

• Like 1

It's actually nice to see someone doing reviews on PS+ games, I hope you do more in the future ;)

Maybe you're already writing on something else, but I would actually love to hear an honest opinion on either MXGP 2 or DiRT Rally :P

I haven't played an off road racing game since 2007. I might give them a go and do a review of one of them. 

Edited by Harley Quinn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice review, pretty much exactly what I'm feeling so far too. It's a very amateurish game and I'm actually amazed that it came out before both The Last of Us and Spec Ops: The Line because it is similar to both games in some departments, yet does nothing better than either of them. At first I thought I was going to be liking the climbing (at least more than the combat) but it quickly gets frustrating, especially when you're playing on survivor and have such a small amount of lives to work with. I've learned the hard way that you have to stop completely whenever you want him to change direction on a pipe or he will just muck about and keep going back and forth.

The items being scarce makes it so annoying. Definitely the kind of game I would not want to play without a walkthrough/roadmap handy. Thus far I'd have to rate it less difficult than Dead Space 1 on hard or RE4 on professional, but when you do die it almost always feels cheap and not your fault, it's the polar opposite of what something like Dark Souls tries to accomplish.

If you're searching for more games to review, perhaps make a feature out of reviewing the PS plus games for each month? Definitely some are more review-friendly than others, but I would expect there to be at least 1 title each month worth writing about.

I'm a sucker for the rare 3rd person budget title, but I'm not sure why because the quality is so rarely competent. I'd rate this about a 3/10.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I love playing games. It's one of my favorite things. Period. Because of this I tend be very positive about games overall. If the pros outweigh the cons, then the flaws mean much less. For example, Splatterhouse is not perfect... to say the least. It still makes my personal Top 20 PS3 games because I had so much fun with it! I only point this out to show that negatives can be overcome if a game speaks to me on some level.

This game speaks to me on no level. 

I put the game to the side for a few days to clear my head. I realize that this is my second least favorite game of all time. I won't bore people articulating details since I'm posting underneath a great written review and other intelligent comments. But there is no aspect of this game that I enjoy. I can tell that nobody is loving this game, but I seem to dislike it a lot more than everyone else. Oh well.

Typing my thoughts right now is making me realize that there is no reason to keep playing. I'm not having fun & I'm not a huge trophy hunter. I might as well delete it from my PS3 and move on.

At least the next title I play will be better. (I just found a positive for this game!)

I remember writing a guide on another site for this, and I remember having a pretty good time.

I liked it on the occasion, but I can't seem to ever go back and play it again, seems tedious now. 

So, spot on review; bit of potential but also a bit lackluster title. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2016 at 8:45 AM, LetsTurnJu-On said:

I actually really like this game. Some good mechanics for a survival game, (i.e. pointing an empty gun at someone and them surrendering, it would happen). Even prefer this game to TLoU, sure it doesn't have to production value, but it's still better in my opinion.

This Game is Very Very underrated for some strange reason. I think its a great game and has that Silent Hill type feel to it and TLOU as well. The grainy GFX makes it for what it is, a bit spooky and eerie. Im currently capturing my game play and will upload once complete. Overall I think this could make it to the Remaster Version for PS4. 

• 4 months later...

Good and most important: honest review. While i really liked the idea of this game and the survival aspects come out greatly, this game fucks up on the important points. Controls for example. Or visuals. They're just ok, could have been so much better. The game may be underrated but i don't see a reason why it should be overhyped. But to be honest i see quite a few ideas that imo made their way into TLoU, so i think it's obvious that Naughty Dogs employers were "creatively inspired" by this game. Whatsoever, if you liked the survival concept of TLoU, you should give this game here a try. Don't expect too much, but it's also far away from being crap.

Edited by Solid-Fisch

• 4 years later...

I knew a guy who has been in its development team in Ubisoft Shanghai. 10 years ago, he told me that Ubisoft has cut their budget and made them publish a much shorter game than planned. In this game's map, you can see 2/3 of the region has been barricaded. But in the initial design, all the region was available to explorer.

This game is really really underrated. Ubisoft has tried to let it be vs TLOU but they changed the mind afterwards.

• Like 1