Final Fantasy VII Remake May See Some Areas And Characters From Its Spinoffs

Xel

ff7rinterview610_thumb.jpg

Speaking with Game InformerFinal Fantasy VII Remake producer Yoshinori Kitase had a few words to share on the upcoming PS4 title about the game’s multi-part format, adding new elements, and more.

When the remake was first announced, there was some confusion among fans about its multi-part format. Is comparing it to the Final Fantasy XIII saga fair in that regard? Will each entry have that kind of scope? 

It will essentially be a full-scale game for each part of the multi-part series. In XIII, each installment told the story from a different angle. It was kind of like approaching an unknown territory, in a sense. Whereas with Final Fantasy VII Remake, we already have a preexisting story, so it wouldn’t really make sense if that isn’t encompassed in the multi-part series, and it wouldn’t make sense to remake it if we don’t encompass that that entire story.

With regards to the current HD capacity and volume, the idea is that we wouldn’t be able to encompass it all in just one installment. So, if we’re just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game.

Have you decided how many installments there will be? 

Yeah, we do have an idea on the project side in terms of how many installments it may consist of, but unfortunately, we can’t share that at the moment. Of course, as we’re creating and developing the scenario and the stories, these are things that move in real time. So, the plan may change along the way. But, that said, we do have a vision for how many installments it will consist of.

The Compilation of Final Fantasy VII added new wrinkles to the story and lore behind the game. How is the team approaching the integration of those new elements into the remake? 

It’s not to say that all or some of the characters from the spin-offs or other Compilation works will appear in the remake, but if there are any areas where we can use the settings or the characters, we do want to try to incorporate it in there, so it gives off that sense of nuance and those other stories existing.

So, there isn’t any pressure to include every character and storyline from the Compilation content? 

Yes, there may be instances where the characters appear themselves, or are just referenced in dialogue. But, of course, it would be difficult to follow up on everything that happened in this universe. So, maybe some of the characters who weren’t as famous won’t appear or be mentioned. But in terms of the characters and instances that remain in the memories of our fans, we do want to try our best to integrate that in some fashion in the world.

Some fans seem to want a remake that is mainly visual upgrades, with none of the story or gameplay altered. Was that ever considered for the project? 

The starting point was – and our executive producer [shinji] Hashimoto-san has mentioned this – it would even be okay if we just upped the graphics to the quality of Advent Children. But, in terms of game styles and battle systems, it’s been 20 years since the original, and a lot has changed. Trends have changed, and I believed that we needed to revisit and rethink that aspect for the remake.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-may-see-areas-characters-spinoffs/

• Like 1

"Fans want the original game with improved graphics"

"Trends have changed so we must adapt"

"Yeah...but people don't really like your new games and complain about the linear gameplay, the auto-fights and horrible voice acting"

"You keep saying that...but people really just wanted the original game with new graphics"

" :| "

Believe me, I get where you're coming from. But we need to realize he isn't trying to strictly appeal to the fans of the original. That's why he feels the need to adapt, despite what some of the fans of the original say. This is what makes it a remake instead of a remaster. I'm skeptical of what they're doing as well, but I won't write it off until I see more.

What has me curious is why he feels the need to keep the number of installments private. I get that it could change depending on what happens, but then you just say that things changed and announce the new plan.

Believe me, I get where you're coming from. But we need to realize he isn't trying to strictly appeal to the fans of the original. That's why he feels the need to adapt, despite what some of the fans of the original say. This is what makes it a remake instead of a remaster. I'm skeptical of what they're doing as well, but I won't write it off until I see more.

What has me curious is why he feels the need to keep the number of installments private. I get that it could change depending on what happens, but then you just say that things changed and announce the new plan.

I get it, but this is something people have been asking for for a long time. Every time a new FF comes out that people don't like they say "just remaster FF7". Then when they finally remaster it they are like "we know you really want that other one...but trust us you will like this one as well"

Why not just give the fans what they wanted...and then make your new game as well. Sure this new FF7 may turn out to be even better than what fans wanted...but it also might not and all you are doing is opening yourself up to fans nitpicking every little thing instead of just enjoying it.

It seems like a lot of extra work that no one was asking for...so why do it?

• Like 1

I get it, but this is something people have been asking for for a long time. Every time a new FF comes out that people don't like they say "just remaster FF7". Then when they finally remaster it they are like "we know you really want that other one...but trust us you will like this one as well"

Why not just give the fans what they wanted...and then make your new game as well. Sure this new FF7 may turn out to be even better than what fans wanted...but it also might not and all you are doing is opening yourself up to fans nitpicking every little thing instead of just enjoying it.

I liked both your posts and agree 100%.  No FF game has sold as many copies as FFVII.  It had just shy of 10 million on PS1 alone.  If they just remade the damn thing with better graphics like everyone asked for, my guess is they'd almost be guaranteed the same number of sales, but probably do 2x or 3x on PS4 alone.  You start changing things and you scare off the original fans to try to get new ones, who already aren't buying your games, and now you lose 10 million sales to spend more time and money on a game that only nets you half that, maybe.  If the changes they make ruin the game, sales are gonna suck.  Since it's all about making money in this industry, just remake the damn thing the way the fans want it.  I know some people have said they're ok with the changes, but if the game becomes unrecognizable, they'll change their tune.  No one is asking for FF VII-2, we just want the same basic story updated for this century with a few new bells and whistles.  No sense spending 4-5 years developing the same game, but making it completely different at the same time.

To put it simply, I've never pre-ordered a game, and I haven't spent more than $30 on a game in over 15 years, AND I don't yet own a PS4, but I was planning to pre-order this game until I saw all the articles about the changes it's getting.  Now, I'm not even sure if I'll end up buying it at all.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 2

I liked both your posts and agree 100%.  No FF game has sold as many copies as FFVII.  It had just shy of 10 million on PS1 alone.  If they just remade the damn thing with better graphics like everyone asked for, my guess is they'd almost be guaranteed the same number of sales, but probably do 2x or 3x on PS4 alone.  You start changing things and you scare off the original fans to try to get new ones, who already aren't buying your games, and now you lose 10 million sales to spend more time and money on a game that only nets you half that, maybe.  If the changes they make ruin the game, sales are gonna suck.  Since it's all about making money in this industry, just remake the damn thing the way the fans want it.  I know some people have said they're ok with the changes, but if the game becomes unrecognizable, they'll change their tune.  No one is asking for FF VII-2, we just want the same basic story updated for this century with a few new bells and whistles.  No sense spending 4-5 years developing the same game, but making it completely different at the same time.

To put it simply, I've never pre-ordered a game, and I haven't spent more than $30 on a game in over 15 years, AND I don't yet own a PS4, but I was planning to pre-order this game until I saw all the articles about the changes it's getting.  Now, I'm not even sure if I'll end up buying it at all.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

5238983+_5258cb515fe794f7d9a7881e702f72c

Exactly, they are just throwing money away on stuff no one asked for

Awesome. I am ready to adapt. This is the real vision of FF7. No more PS1 limitations.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

"Yeah...but people don't really like your new games and complain about the linear gameplay, the auto-fights and horrible voice acting"

"You keep saying that...but people really just wanted the original game with new graphics"

Honestly though, I could see they do many changes to the game without me or many others complaining I think. :P

Like, they could keep the battle system, maybe do something like in FFXIII when it comes to the characters and enemies moving around on the field as they attack etc. Not just control one character, still entire team and real time turn based, but just your characters moving around on the field. If this would affect anything gameplay related, idk, but they could do some minor changes that wouldn't change too much.

As for random encounters.... This could have been changed a bit, mixing it up a bit like in Chrono Trigger. Some places have random encounter, other places have enemies walking around, maybe even mix it further up a bit like in Rainbow Moon, where you got this and you can decide if you want to engage or not in random encounters at some places. :S They could also have made it so enemies spawn randomly around you, and you can try to run from 'em, but you will eventually meet some. Maybe offer lower encounter rate materia early in the game etc etc. :P

Leveling and stats, meh, it was already easy enough to max level and you could morph enemies to stat increasing items etc etc.

Actual areas and moving around etc, would have been awesome if they did the same areas and camera view etc as the original game, but with much better graphics. Still, they need to make the city capture the same mood. The videos I've seen so far seems more, uhm, flashy, fancy, eye candy whatever, not as dark and rough etc. I would love if they added more areas. Like this news about areas and characters from spin-offs, that they add to the core game is just fun, just don't take away stuff. A lot of new content would have been lovely!

The soundtrack, I almost want an option for old soundtrack. This cost them so little.

I wouldn't be mad if not everything was voiced... I kinda expect most of the story dialogue to be, but that's about it, but at that point, they could as well do the rest I think.

But yeah, I think they should have done the original game, just added to it, improved upon things that was limited by it's time, but not change it.

Meh I don't mind the changes, it's their game and they can do whatever they want with it - if it's terrible then I'm not getting it.

Normally companies bend to the will of the consumer, meaning if we speak with our wallets they'll most certainly listen.

Agreed 100% in passing on this game if it doesn't live up to my expectations.

I don't mind the changes. ;) People should stop complaining that this game isn't "Remaster" and start accepting that it's a "Remake". It was announced as Remake from the beginning. And the fine difference between Remasters and Remakes is that Remakes have changes in comparison to their original. Sure, it seems like this particular Remake is going to get a lot of changes... but I personally just view it as a new game, a new iteration of FF7. ;)

What bugs me however is the "multiple games" part. I'm getting the feeling here that FFVIIRemake will be released as 3 or 5 games, all of which will cost the full $60 and come with special editions and so on. I certainly hope Square Enix doesn't plan to make that much money of the Remake.

I don't mind the changes. ;) People should stop complaining that this game isn't "Remaster" and start accepting that it's a "Remake". It was announced as Remake from the beginning. And the fine difference between Remasters and Remakes is that Remakes have changes in comparison to their original. Sure, it seems like this particular Remake is going to get a lot of changes... but I personally just view it as a new game, a new iteration of FF7. ;)

Mate, you should know that a remake still keeps the essence of what gave the original an identity. True, they might not touch the story too much, but there's a high chance they will throw away the turn-based gameplay, which contributes to it all the same, hence why many are already complaining on some videogame forums.

What bugs me however is the "multiple games" part. I'm getting the feeling here that FFVIIRemake will be released as 3 or 5 games, all of which will cost the full $60 and come with special editions and so on. I certainly hope Square Enix doesn't plan to make that much money of the Remake.

Better expect the worse. The game industry is not what it used to be. Plus, SE thought they found a golden egg when they showed that first trailer at E3 2015. There's no excuse for doing a PS1 game multi-part getting released separately like the XIII saga other than getting extra bucks.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm sure they're only going for "moderate" profit :D

They said that FF 15 needed to sell like 10 mil. copies to be profitable. That's not happening, so you can expect them to freakin' MILK the FF 7 remake to get back on track. After all, 7 is their best selling game and they know how much fans wanted a remake.

Yeah, I'm sure they're only going for "moderate" profit :D

They said that FF 15 needed to sell like 10 mil. copies to be profitable. That's not happening, so you can expect them to freakin' MILK the FF 7 remake to get back on track. After all, 7 is their best selling game and they know how much fans wanted a remake.

I think that the real issue here is that this remake is not the remake FANS want, it's the remake the Kitase-san, Nomura-san and Nijima-san want to do. Whether that is what makes most sense... we'll never know...

In any case, SE was up for criticism whatever they did with FFVII, so they might as well do what they want to do. I mean, it would be cheaper to produce (and the game would probably come out sooner), but it would not allow developers to apply innovations and creativity... Which I guess is what most motivates game developers. Money is obviously an important motivator, but SE is not doing that bad financially...

But as I said... Whatever SE did to FFVII, they were going to get hate because they did or didn't do that or the other... 

In any case, SE was up for criticism whatever they did with FFVII, so they might as well do what they want to do. 

It has nothing to do with what they "want to do" and everything to do with what they think will make them the most money.

Money is obviously an important motivator, but SE is not doing that bad financially.

Developers may say creativity is what drives them, but at the end of the day it's the bottom line that drives companies to make the decisions they. Money isn't an important motivator, it's the only motivator when it comes to AAA titles.

"We've spent so much money on making FF15 that we have to reuse assests and systems from it in order to save money and you guys'll buy anything we put out with FF7 on its cover!"

• Like 1

Like I said, I completely agree. But they somehow believe this will yield more profit which is a shame. I'd rather they stuck to their roots, please the fans and possibly draw in new fans just with the hype surrounding the original. Though they don't seem open to suggestions. xD

• Like 1

Sqenix are of course guided by profit and will want to hit the maximum share of the market.

They are not creating a game to pander to the die hard fans of the series. They are creating a new game with mass market appeal.

Besides, the majority of hard core fans will buy it regardless despite all the moaning (I know I'm one of them).

To be honest I don't really care about the gameplay elements that much. If they can make a good RPG using modern elements, I'm fine with that. We already know that the story and characters are solid and I don't think they'll be changing anything in that department.

For the past 10 years the no. 1 problem with FF has been the inept writing and storytelling, not the gameplay.