Final Fantasy VII Remake May See Some Areas And Characters From Its Spinoffs

Xel

For the past 10 years the no. 1 problem with FF has been the inept writing and storytelling, not the gameplay.

Have you played FF XIII?

Edit: Never mind, you platted it. Perhaps you're one of the few who actually enjoyed the gameplay.

Edited by TheLakota

Have you played FF XIII?

Edit: Never mind, you platted it. Perhaps you're one of the few who actually enjoyed the gameplay.

I knew someone was gonna bring that up lol. I didn't mind the combat system in XIII, I thought it was sufficiently fun. I didn't care for any of the gameplay outside of the combat though. Still, the characters, the story and the way it was told are what really made me dislike the XIII "saga".

It will essentially be a full-scale game for each part of the multi-part series. In XIII, each installment told the story from a different angle. It was kind of like approaching an unknown territory, in a sense. Whereas with Final Fantasy VII Remake, we already have a preexisting story, so it wouldn’t really make sense if that isn’t encompassed in the multi-part series, and it wouldn’t make sense to remake it if we don’t encompass that that entire story.

I swear - reading these Japanese people talk explain (in the most convoluted way possible) what was most certainly a marketing decision just makes my head hurt.

To be honest I don't really care about the gameplay elements that much. If they can make a good RPG using modern elements, I'm fine with that. We already know that the story and characters are solid and I don't think they'll be changing anything in that department.

For the past 10 years the no. 1 problem with FF has been the inept writing and storytelling, not the gameplay.

Maybe. While I did think the battle system in FFXIII was enjoyable, it wasn't really as groundbreaking at the early reviews would have had you believe, and given the utterly repetitive nature of encounters further mediocritized the proceedings (that's right - I just made "mediocre" into a verb). But it would have been just fine with even decent storytelling and characters.

I mean, let's be honest - while the characters in FFXIII were attempting a clandestine escape from government entities, they wore full trench coats on the beach. You know...because that never draws attention or anything.

But honestly, there are so many things wrong with Square's game development these days that I don't think it's salvageable. Maybe they don't, either, which is why they constantly look to the glories of the past to prop up their company.

• Like 1

Are you joking? It's both and more! :P Gameplay has been dumbed down, made less deep, removed risks, less control, pretty much no focus on exploration, more linear etc etc etc That's just the gameplay. The story is indeed gone much worse. There's a much greater focus on some few pre rendered videos where the story gets less focus. Those videos cost tons of money to produce, and they've admittedly cut into the actual story. FFXIII for example was pretty short, could probably have had all three games, or at the very least the two first in one. Pretty much no world to explore and dig into the lore etc, like rarely any cities or any NPC that isn't super important for the story line. Characters have been less likable or interesting. The soundtrack has been getting worse and worse. Little to no replayability. etc etc etc

After massive backlash from fans of the series about the recent games, they want to push that same shit into this remake... At least most of the story will be there, but that's about it. If it ends up being a game I didn't really want, I will surely not get it before the price has dropped drastically, if even then. Really, might just wait until they release the "trilogy" in one box... I still think this will be a mess with multiple releases n all. Will you need the last game to play the next?

I really do wonder, will they add cheats? Like wtf is up with cheats for games like FF7 and FF9... Never needed any cheats for those game, ever. That's just a tempting offer to screw yourself over as a new player with. It would have been cool to unlock maybe after beating the game or having done stuff in the game etc...

I knew someone was gonna bring that up lol. I didn't mind the combat system in XIII, I thought it was sufficiently fun. I didn't care for any of the gameplay outside of the combat though. Still, the characters, the story and the way it was told are what really made me dislike the XIII "saga".

The battle system for FFXIII was pretty bad compared to the earlier games. I mean, it pretty much auto plays for you with some QTE. Less control over what you do and certainly what your team does. Want to hear me rant about how little I liked the equipment, paradigm and level up systems? Or what about the equipment level up and money system? No thanks. FFXIII's battle system wasn't absolute garbage or anything, but it was pretty awful in comparison to previous games... =\

Sqenix are of course guided by profit and will want to hit the maximum share of the market.

They are not creating a game to pander to the die hard fans of the series. They are creating a new game with mass market appeal.

Besides, the majority of hard core fans will buy it regardless despite all the moaning (I know I'm one of them).

But will it appeal to the mass market? With fans moaning about it constantly, can't exactly be great publicity for new players to look at the game. :S

As for "hard core fans", I certainly won't buy it when it gets released. Maybe later at a much lower price, depends a bit on how bad or good it is.

Like seriously, if most of the gameplay is nowhere near the same as FF7 and it doesn't look like my thing, I won't buy it.

Edited by MMDE

But will it appeal to the mass market? With fans moaning about it constantly, can't exactly be great publicity for new players to look at the game. :S

As for "hard core fans", I certainly won't buy it when it gets released. Maybe later at a much lower price, depends a bit on how bad or good it is.

Like seriously, if most of the gameplay is nowhere near the same as FF7 and it doesn't look like my thing, I won't buy it.

This is what I was thinking too when I read his comment.  Most people I know purposely ignore FF VII if they didn't grow up with it and like to bash it for being over-rated, so why would those people want to play a remake?  Also, those of us who did love it growing up are laying into Squee's decision to make all these changes, and every forum I visit has mostly angry fans bitching (I am one of those fans).  Recent FF games haven't even sold half as well as older games, especially FF VII.  So where's this magical fanbase gonna come from?  If they piss off enough long-time fans before the game comes out, they lose what would have been guaranteed dollars from those trying to relive the RPG they loved as kids/young adults.  Now you have them appealing to 'mass markets' because, yeah, that does so well with JRPGs in the video game industry...  No, I agree with you completely, they are doing nothing but pushing both sides away.  Calling it a true remake doesn't impress those who weren't impressed by the first one, and making all these changes pushes us long-time fans away.  So what you're left with are a few long-time fans who just can't help themselves (but nowhere near the majority), a few kids who don't know what FF VII was and just buy this cause of the hype, and JRPG lovers, which are mostly based out of Japan.  Alternatively, they could have done a true remake for the fans, and every forum would be buzzing with praise, and that alone would have drawn in a new market.  In the end, they aren't doing an FF VII for the fans or to make the most money.  They're doing an FF VII that they stubbornly get to make their way and don't give a shit what anyone else thinks, which is sadly the WORST possible way to remake this game.  There's obviously lots of motivations for remaking the game and implementing changes, but I feel like at this point those who are making hands on decisions have let the 'power' go their heads and are just concerned with doing whatever crazy shit pops into mind.  That won't end well for anyone, I fear.  Don't forget that those remaking this were not with the company in 97.  They want to make this game their way to differentiate themselves from those of the past.  This is probably an ego-trip for them.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I am someone who never got a chance to play FF7 until last year. My experience with it wasn't good mostly because of the horribly dated graphics. I like old school RPGs and I loved the idea of them doing a remake so I would have a real chance to love the game like everyone else. Up until the point where they showed off a teaser of gameplay where they had a modernized combat system which defeated the whole point of a remake for me. At that point I might as well just get FFXV. Then they said they were making it a multi-part series which is a red flag for me to avoid. It's clear to me they're doing this remake for all the wrong reasons and I think this is going to backfire horribly for Square Enix. They definitely lost me as a potential new fan.

I am someone who never got a chance to play FF7 until last year. My experience with it wasn't good mostly because of the horribly dated graphics. 

It's a pity you're holding FF7's dated graphics against it (We may as well say the game is 20 years old). I suppose you feel Chrono Trigger is antiquated as well, what with its sprite characters? (It's 21 years old itself).

It's clear to me they're doing this remake for all the wrong reasons...

Agreed wholeheartedly.

In the end, they aren't doing an FF VII for the fans or to make the most money.  They're doing an FF VII that they stubbornly get to make their way and don't give a shit what anyone else thinks, which is sadly the WORST possible way to remake this game.  There's obviously lots of motivations for remaking the game and implementing changes, but I feel like at this point those who are making hands on decisions have let the 'power' go their heads and are just concerned with doing whatever crazy shit pops into mind.  That won't end well for anyone, I fear.  Don't forget that those remaking this were not with the company in 97.  They want to make this game their way to differentiate themselves from those of the past.  This is probably an ego-trip for them.  Just my 2 cents.

I think a lot of it is about them being embarrassed about the old turn based combat system, not enough action, a bit dated look especially with the fixed camera and static backgrounds. Lined up characters that fight. Taking turns to do moves. Lots of things to monitor and control etc. You can easily lose progress and have to reload a save. People may miss stuff. Grinding. etc etc. Seriously, this is what they think about. Why do you think they added cheats to the new releases of FF7 and FF9? And I really do think it ruins the games a bit. A new player with a negative view of the gameplay but has never really gotten into it, would just "skip" it. The gameplay is a major portion of the game, and they're really killing the way the game was intended to be played. Many when they got the option to avoid the challenge will do so. It's a lazy "fix", and could probably have been done differently with a little bit of effort.

My take is that they can fix much of this stuff without making too huge changes that would push a lot of people away.

The battle system could look more exciting. They don't need to stand in a line, they could move around on the field. Maybe they could even introduce something like backstab or it taking longer to attack something if it's further away etc. Add some new elements to the mix, but not make this the focus, just something cool extra. Make it look cooler and more action oriented without actually changing the game so you for example only control one character at a time. So you still have the turn based combat etc.

They could do changes to the encounter system too, adjust it a bit, introduce things that makes it less "problematic", but still keeping much of the same feeling and some of the difficulty of the original.

Graphics could just be new backgrounds, textures and models etc. Keep the same mood, just look way better than they could with the hardware back then.

The losing progress thing is just sad, where's the thrill of knowing you will just be outside the battle again with full health if you die. :S

Having a deeper battle system is just more interesting and fun.

They could add new content, side missions, things in the game, story etc etc.

• 9 months later...

Well… just finished FF 7. Wanted to go back and see if it was as good as I remembered after doing FF15 before it. And sadly (happy actually), it was that good. 

The FF franchise has unfortunately become a mile wide and one inch deep. No character development, no humor, no irony, no joy, no sadness, no warmth, no risk taking, no fun. 

Square got whacked for taking some risks in FF13 (which I kinda like more than FF15… I know, I know… weird) and learned the wrong lessons I think. 

ff15 is the definition of the lowest common denominator. Looks great, but after a while you start to ask why? Why should I care about these guys? A simple revenge based plot line,why? A huge open world filled with little reward and excessive load /travel time, why? A flip and mash combat system, why? etc.

Think how great the cross dressing cinematic could be. Or the bromance cinematic (to name a few). I laugh just thinking about how that would look and play out with today’s 3D.

There are so many other great, witty, ironic, touching moments in FF 7 that I am afraid are going to get trampled or have the life squeezed out of them simply to make it more like a “popular” FF (like FF15).

Please let me be wrong….

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Never played Crisis Core but if theres some mention of DoC or AC then i wont be bothered much.

The changes in gameplay made it go from getting it in the first week to waiting til its 20 bucks. The episodic part is now delaying my getting it until they release a full collection on it so i expect to have it no sooner then when i have grandchildren who have grandchildren :c Excitement is pretty much gone for me but i will still get it eventually.

Hopefully they keep it to remasters afterwards if this is what they want for a remake. Im surprised half of the golden age hasnt made its way to the Ps4 though.

Edited by TheFalseDeity

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2017 at 1:01 AM, proton666 said:

Well… just finished FF 7. Wanted to go back and see if it was as good as I remembered after doing FF15 before it. And sadly (happy actually), it was that good. 

The FF franchise has unfortunately become a mile wide and one inch deep. No character development, no humor, no irony, no joy, no sadness, no warmth, no risk taking, no fun. 

Square got whacked for taking some risks in FF13 (which I kinda like more than FF15… I know, I know… weird) and learned the wrong lessons I think. 

ff15 is the definition of the lowest common denominator. Looks great, but after a while you start to ask why? Why should I care about these guys? A simple revenge based plot line,why? A huge open world filled with little reward and excessive load /travel time, why? A flip and mash combat system, why? etc.

Think how great the cross dressing cinematic could be. Or the bromance cinematic (to name a few). I laugh just thinking about how that would look and play out with today’s 3D.

There are so many other great, witty, ironic, touching moments in FF 7 that I am afraid are going to get trampled or have the life squeezed out of them simply to make it more like a “popular” FF (like FF15).

Please let me be wrong….

Don't forget about getting the bikini briefs for the cross dressing. I died laughing when I saw it. This is the first time I have played FFVII and it is leaps and bounds better than FFXV. Characters, story, gameplay, just not graphics! xD

• 1 month later...

Let's be honest here, FF7 hasn't aged well. Hell no FF can be called the best, so yes even X, XIII, and XV can be as good as VI and VII. As for the remake, we will see since the original game bored me and I never went passed Aerith's death 

Edited by HeroFangGhetz

• 4 months later...

Replaying FFVII, I'm actually more excited for a remake. I have a feeling Square will blow it, but it would be nice for the intricate story details of FFVII to be brought to better light. Also, maybe they will FINALLY get the localization right (the Midgard Zohom? Really?!?).

Edited by starcrunch061

On 25/01/2017 at 8:01 AM, proton666 said:

Please let me be wrong….

While FF7 is one of my favorite FF (along with FF9), replaying it on PS4 made me realize that there is a huge nostalgia factor for me. Same thing for Tales of Symphonia. The game is still an absolute masterpiece in my mind and in my memories, because I adored it as a kid and spent all my free time on it, but playing it today... well it's not the same thing. 

It might be an upopular opinion, but I enjoyed FF13 a lot, the sequels not so much. 

I also love FF15 and I took a great liking to most of the main characters, especially Prompto and Ignis. I agree that the story was nonexistant but traveling with those guys all over the map made me grow attached to them more and more. I wish they had put even more sidequests and stuff to do on the map because that's what I enjoyed most in this game. I just couldn't care less about Lunafreya though.

Just think of what this game could have been with a good plot, what a waste!

I hope for FF7 to be a game with FF15 graphics while keeping the plot (and the funny/touching moment) intact. 

I missed this game when I was kid. My first one (when I learned english) was VIII.

I'm currently playing VII and I can see why they want to change stuff. There are lots of annoying things that wouldn't work to get new players nowadays, like the lack of direction (most of the time), too many options in which character does what, grinding, sparse save points, random battles. It makes sense they want to remake it using a system similar to XV's

Now, making it "episodic" could ruin it completely, but we'll see.