DLC for vita carts.

bcks007

I was wondering when I download dlc for a physical game does it save to the cartridge for that game, or just to the memory card, or could it still be "installed" if both memory card, and cartridge where not inserted, so flash/internal memory or whatever its called. 

Is the answer to my 1st question the same for every physical game, or is it varied?

Or maybe it varies by size of the dlc? Like if its just 100Kb unlock key for dlc, it might save to the cart, but not if its a big dlc (MB) where there isn't enough space on the cart?

Tonight i download some dlc for Atelier Escha & Logy Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky, not the Japanese voice over dlc(which is 700MB), but the 4 dlc's that give you cloths options, each one said 100KB. So I check the icon before I installed them, it said 3,968KB version 1.00(no patch). Ok, i expect it to go up 400 KB or less, or anything. Installed all 4 100KB dlcs, and it still says 3,968KB. It says this whether the cart is inserted, or in the vita. I tried again, just to make sure something didn't goof up, same results.

The reason im asking, is cause I wanna have the option, to play a game when im out and about, then switch it over to the vita tv, I need to know if i must re-download all the dlc again on the vita tv, if its already on the cart. If its a game you never played, or a game where you need to get far enough to access the dlc, its a pain in the ass to figure out where the dlc is "merged" with.

I have 2 small memory cards, and 1 medium. So i don't have a need to be switching out memory cards, but switching out games if fine, if it helps me out in the game. Bigger screen, better controls, whatever.

The DLC will be written in part over the game data saved onto the Vita memory cards.  Some will add data, some will overwrite data on the games saved data on the memory card.  The game cards themselves are not writable, each game installs some data on the memory when you 1st play it, this is where the DLC will be written.  So just swapping the game to the PSTV won't move the DLC 

Nothing ever gets saved on the vita card, they are read-only locked. The dlcs are saved to your memory card so you'd have to download the dlc again on your second memory card for your PS TV. So to answer one of your questions, every official physical game is the same afaik, you can't write new data on them.

Nothing ever gets saved on the vita card, they are read-only locked. The dlcs are saved to your memory card so you'd have to download the dlc again on your second memory card for your PS TV. So to answer one of your questions, every official physical game is the same afaik, you can't write new data on them.

Not even the game save file?

Nope, not even that. (that's 1 of the reasons why all games create a small app install when you first put the card on the Vita).

I think this is incorrect and a few other statements in this topic, can you or anybody else explain these pics. I'm not saying I know the answer, but other peoples answers are conflicting with what I see before my eyes.

Pic 1: Persona Golden

http://postimg.org/image/55rh5cztv/

Pic 2: I'm pretty sure Army Corps of Hell has some small dlc installed. It shows nothing.

http://postimg.org/image/ftv8479sz/

Pic 3: Lumines has a patch, yet there is - listed for Size.

http://postimg.org/image/u98jpcxgj/

Pic 4: Shinobido 2 is on patch 1.02, still no size.

http://postimg.org/image/uaihirzab/

So I'm willing to bet if i put these carts in my vita, there size will show up. I know they will, the question is, why is no size showing for these games? Maybe the vita hides there size, i checked  my content manager, to see if any of those game had save data, or hidden installs, and nothing shows. I tested all the games I had "installed" this memory card, and not quite 50-40% of them showed no size, the rest did show size.

Please see above post^

I think this is incorrect and a few other statements in this topic, can you or anybody else explain these pics.

The operating system on the Vita is fairly locked down. There are many unexplained situations to it. The simple way it's been proven that nothing saves to the memory card, at all, is sticking the card in other Vitas. No saves. No DLC. No game updates. Just the game.

I'm not sure how the Vita allocates memory in the situations you have pointed out. This is a completely different situation from your original question that I haven't seen to much research into explaining. If you go out on the internet and find explanations for this stuff, feel free to post what you find here. Many of us would be interested in what you find.

I think this is incorrect and a few other statements in this topic, can you or anybody else explain these pics. I'm not saying I know the answer, but other peoples answers are conflicting with what I see before my eyes.

Pic 1: Persona Golden

http://postimg.org/image/55rh5cztv/

Pic 2: I'm pretty sure Army Corps of Hell has some small dlc installed. It shows nothing.

http://postimg.org/image/ftv8479sz/

Pic 3: Lumines has a patch, yet there is - listed for Size.

http://postimg.org/image/u98jpcxgj/

Pic 4: Shinobido 2 is on patch 1.02, still no size.

http://postimg.org/image/uaihirzab/

So I'm willing to bet if i put these carts in my vita, there size will show up. I know they will, the question is, why is no size showing for these games? Maybe the vita hides there size, i checked  my content manager, to see if any of those game had save data, or hidden installs, and nothing shows. I tested all the games I had "installed" this memory card, and not quite 50-40% of them showed no size, the rest did show size.

Please see above post^

I just tested to see it, and it let me think of something.

The Vita have a limited memory, and primarily the installs are done into the internal memory and not the memory card (so you can play as long as you have the game card in the system, but don't need the memory card), when it's full, the primary install is still done into the system memory, but will not show any file size (Soul Sacrifice install is listed as "-" when no memory card, but it's listed as 88 mb when the memory card is there, same regardless of the game card being present, Tales of Hearts take about 4000 kb without the memory card, but 8000 kb with the memory card, but Freedom Wars takes 166mb regardless, so it's taking most of the internal memory space and it only installs the basic running info for other games, like Soul Sacrifice in my example).

Same stuff with photos/screenshots, those aren't saved on the memory card, but instead into the system internal memory.

If stuff was actually saved on the game cards, then we would only need to download it once, but each time you put the game card on a different system without that specific memory card you need to download it again (and no save is present). Test it yourself if you still don't believe us...

Also, this is 1 of the reasons why the bigger internal memory of the newer Vitas was such a big thing.

I just tested to see it, and it let me think of something.

The Vita have a limited memory, and primarily the installs are done into the internal memory and not the memory card (so you can play as long as you have the game card in the system, but don't need the memory card), when it's full, the primary install is still done into the system memory, but will not show any file size (Soul Sacrifice install is listed as "-" when no memory card, but it's listed as 88 mb when the memory card is there, same regardless of the game card being present, Tales of Hearts take about 4000 kb without the memory card, but 8000 kb with the memory card, but Freedom Wars takes 166mb regardless, so it's taking most of the internal memory space and it only installs the basic running info for other games, like Soul Sacrifice in my example).

Same stuff with photos/screenshots, those aren't saved on the memory card, but instead into the system internal memory.

If stuff was actually saved on the game cards, then we would only need to download it once, but each time you put the game card on a different system without that specific memory card you need to download it again (and no save is present). Test it yourself if you still don't believe us...

Also, this is 1 of the reasons why the bigger internal memory of the newer Vitas was such a big thing.

So if i put  Lumines and Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen into my vita tv, it should indicated i need to patch them?

Assuming it asks me to download a new patch for those 2 games, I still don't get why there data size is hidden, something about internal memory you say? Is there no way to see whats on the Internal memory? My vita is the older one if that matters.

Edited by bcks007

So if i put  Lumines and Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen into my vita tv, it should indicated i need to patch them?

Assuming it asks me to download a new patch for those 2 games, I still don't get why there data size is hidden, something about internal memory you say? Is there no way to see whats on the Internal memory? My vita is the older one if that matters.

Yes, if you don't put the memory card that have that patch, it will ask to download it on the Vita TV.

I don't know why, but as other's said, a lot of stuff on the Vita is locked, so we can't know for sure what memory it have or how is distributed between the various default apps (this goes along with us not being able to delete default apps at will, not even the Welcome Park thing.. and it don't lets us see how big those are either).

And in this matter it probably doesn't matter much, if you had a newer Vita, it would probably just keep the patches (full size) of a lot more games, since I think the newer one have 2 Gb internal memory for gaming install data and whatnot.

Yes, if you don't put the memory card that have that patch, it will ask to download it on the Vita TV.

I don't know why, but as other's said, a lot of stuff on the Vita is locked, so we can't know for sure what memory it have or how is distributed between the various default apps (this goes along with us not being able to delete default apps at will, not even the Welcome Park thing.. and it don't lets us see how big those are either).

And in this matter it probably doesn't matter much, if you had a newer Vita, it would probably just keep the patches (full size) of a lot more games, since I think the newer one have 2 Gb internal memory for gaming install data and whatnot.

So I wonder what happens if you fill up the internal memory, does it block other data from being put there, or does it kick out the oldest data? Any error messages pop up, or warning low memory messages, Like the vita does when your under 50 or 40 MB.

I will do some more testing after I get some sleep in, and post back with results later today.

Edited by bcks007

So I wonder what happens if you fill up the internal memory, does it block other data from being put there, or does it kick out the oldest data? Any error messages pop up, or warning low memory messages, Like the vita does when your under 50 or 40 MB.

I will do some more testing after I get some sleep in, and post back with results later today.

As I said, if the supposed memory is full, it would install a basic file (the app on the main screen) to allow the game to work, not giving any info on the actual file size (because it would be pulling space from somewhere else, like the Photo/Video apps), allowing to play the games, but not allowing to create save files, saying giving an error saying memory full or to insert a memory card (not sure, never tried it).

Original Vita has 0 internal memory, PSTV and 2000 have 1 Gb. 

Ya, but if this where actually true it wouldn't allow us to install anything (even the basic install from game cards) into it, nor would it keep the images/photos/screenshots when there's no memory card into it, so it's probably technically wrong to say that it had 0 internal memory, even tough that's what they say..

That stuff have to be saved somewhere on the system...

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

As I said, if the supposed memory is full, it would install a basic file (the app on the main screen) to allow the game to work, not giving any info on the actual file size (because it would be pulling space from somewhere else, like the Photo/Video apps), allowing to play the games, but not allowing to create save files, saying giving an error saying memory full or to insert a memory card (not sure, never tried it).

Ya, but if this where actually true it wouldn't allow us to install anything (even the basic install from game cards) into it, nor would it keep the images/photos/screenshots when there's no memory card into it, so it's probably technically wrong to say that it had 0 internal memory, even tough that's what they say..

That stuff have to be saved somewhere on the system...

Just tested this out, since it didn't seem like that was the case when I first got my Vita. Powered down my OG Vita. Removed memory card powered back up. Tried to take a screenshot: You need a memory card to take a screenshot. Went into Photos: You need a memory card to use this application.

Original Vita: 0 internal storage.

Speculating that "installing" physical games only places shortcuts in the OS, which definitely doesn't let the user store stuff there.

Just tested this out, since it didn't seem like that was the case when I first got my Vita. Powered down my OG Vita. Removed memory card powered back up. Tried to take a screenshot: You need a memory card to take a screenshot. Went into Photos: You need a memory card to use this application.

Original Vita: 0 internal storage.

Speculating that "installing" physical games only places shortcuts in the OS, which definitely doesn't let the user store stuff there.

Ya, you are right (I didn't actually checked the photo thing again, was just assuming that it would, since it kept my custom savescreen, that's actually a screenshot)..

Also tested something else, and started Soul Sacrifice from the gamecard (that had a patch installed into the memory card, but when I took it, it was saying that the size of the app was "--") and it didn't started, instead asked me to insert a memory card. Didn't checked for Freedom wars (even tough it still said the app file size without the memory card).

Some early vita games can write to the game cart.  This is why for a few secondhand games you have to reformat the cart to unlock the ability to earn trophies.  I think this was true of the michael jackson game?  If the games could not save data to the cartridge, they would have no way to know the owner had changed.  I guess that to do this they had some extra ram added and most publishers didn't bother  as it maked the carts cost more.