Have you ever had GTP (Game Transfer Phenomena)?

StrickenBiged

GTP - What's your experience?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever hallucinated in-game objects/sounds in the real world?

• Yes - I'm sitting in a 150cc kart and holding a blue shell right now. VROOOM!
    • No - In-game .
  2. 2. Have you ever felt compelled to act out an in-game action in real life?

• Yes - Just try and stop me from climbing the outside of St Mark's Basilica!
    • No - Well, I've gone paintballing... Isn't that basically the same as Splatoon?
  3. 3. If you answered "Yes" to either of the above, did this experience distress you?

• Yes - I don't know what's real anymore!
    • No - I'm grounded enough to know that it was just my brain reacting to stimuli and experience.
    • Not applicable - I answered "No" to the above, no GTP for me.

Abstract from the study:

Previous qualitative studies suggest that gamers experience Game Transfer Phenomena (GTP), a variety of non-volitional phenomena related to playing videogames including thoughts, urges, images, and sounds when not playing. To investigate (i) which types of GTP were more common and (ii) their general characteristics, the present study surveyed a total of 2362 gamers via an online survey. The majority of the participants were male, students, aged between 18 and 27 years, and “hard-core” gamers. Most participants reported having experienced at least one type of GTP at some point (96.6%), the majority having experienced GTP more than once, with many reporting 6 to 10 different types of GTP. Results demonstrated that videogame players experienced (i) altered visual perceptions, (ii) altered auditory perceptions, (iii) altered body perceptions, (iv) automated mental processes, and (v) behaviors. In most cases, GTP could not be explained by being under the influence of a psychoactive substance. The GTP experiences were usually short-lived, tended to occur after videogame playing rather than during play, occurred recurrently, and usually occurred while doing day-to-day activities. One in five gamers had experienced some type of distress or dysfunction due to GTP. Many experienced GTP as pleasant and some wanted GTP to happen again.

Source (download of full study restricted):

Prevalence and Characteristics of Game Transfer Phenomena: A Descriptive Survey Study; Ortiz de Gortari & Griffiths; The International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction; 2016

Article in the Telegraph about the study.

So, GTP is basically when you have an urge to repeat an in-game action in real life, or when you hallucinate an in-game object or sound in real life. 

I think I took part in this survey, now that I think about it. Still, I'm shocked that almost 97% of respondents have reported having experienced GTP. I'd have thought that the number was lower. Still, my experiences have been limited to relatively benign things - noticing lines after playing The Witness, spotting a parkour route up the side of a building after playing too much Assassin's Creed, that sort of thing. 

Have you experienced GTP? What was it like? Were there any negative consequences?

Edit: Amended the poll slightly, to remove the word "mental" from one of the responses, which may be seen as pejorative. 

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

Yeah, this has happened a few times. First, I played Entwined for... longer than I care to admit on one of the challenge levels in a single session. Stopped playing, and all I could see were patterns. Patterns everywhere. I would close my eyes and see the two birds, flying swiftly and gracefully through blue and red fire.

More recently, I played Pix The Cat. I frequent the chatbox here, and as I typed it was like I was seeing the words all crash into each other (like you crashing into your tail in Pix/Snake).

I also downloaded a few Picross games on my iPad recently, to play when I don't have time for an Ace Attorney session or to play on a console, and I've started to almost subconsciously evaluate the distance between objects in real life to see which objects are farthest away.

Sp00ky.

After playing hours and hours of motorstorm apocalypse online, I seriously had to control myself from driving bikers off the road and ramming into other vehicles on my way to work. Came to the point I was happy to ditch my car and walk, otherwise I would now be in a penitentiary institution :P

I then found watching cartoons like scooby doo or winnie the poo help to relieve the tension after a major gaming session :D

Otherwise a stern look from the mrs can also sober you up real quick ;) ...

I had it happen a few times after playing Race the Sun. When I'd go to bed and close my eyes, all I saw were blocks racing past and it took me forever to fall asleep.

It was almost to the point where I considered not playing it anymore. Once I got the 100% I never played it again and didn't have any more "visions".

I answered no, yes, no. Back when I played Modern Warfare MP a lot during the summer (for hours on end) and then go to bed I would doze off and hear gunfire and stuff like that from the game. Then when I played Resistance 2 I would get freaked out during the Chicago level so much that when I dozed off I would have images of the Chimera jumping me in the hallways. I don't know if I would consider those hallucinations though, since I was merely dozing off before sleep.

The only time I did actions from a game was during this one time in Middle School where I asked to leave a class to get something from my locker. Instead of just going there and coming back like a normal person, I pretended it was Metal Gear Solid and sneaked around like Snake. I would press my back against the walls and wait for people to go by or make sure no one was coming didn't make sure to go to my locker until these other students left the hallway. Then I did the same thing back to the class. Thinking back on it I'm surprised the people that watched the security cameras didn't come ask what I was doing acting like I was sneaking around, but hey I had to make school fun somehow.

• Like 2

Most I ever did was an involuntary reflex back when I was in college (around ten years ago).

I was playing a lot of Prince of Persia back then and I remember I did something minor I regretted (can't recall what, exactly), and I noticed my right index finger twitched a bit - exactly the way it did when I pressed R1 on the game to turn back time.

I found it a bit amusing, but that's everything that happened to me in my lifetime. I might recall some things that happened to me in games, but no real transfer whatsoever.

• Like 1

That's an interesting study.

Happy I'm not alone! Happened to me too, some time ago, when I was going for the Catherine's platinum. I remember I've been playing the game for so many hours, several days a week trying to beat both story on hard difficulty and Babel, and one day, during school, I started kind of allucinating and seeing the world around me as blocks - the same blocks Catherine's levels are made of. Just for fractions of seconds, though.

• Like 1

Interesting to hear about everyone else's experience with this weird thing our brains do. 

Another anecdote, that I don't know if it has been studied, is that I find that I never have nightmares anymore. In fact, they're now my favourite dreams.

If something weird or horrible is happening to me in a dream I fight back now. I usually realise I'm dreaming, and that allows me to conjour up whatever tools or skills I need to get out of the situation. Most of the time, the scenario or the tools I'll use will be from in a game. I've dreamt I was on the Citadel from Mass Effect, been a parkouring secret agent, been in an underwater city, rescued my family from megalomaniacal dictators with telekenetic powers, all sorts of weird shit. 

I don't know if that's related to games or not. Anyone else found that their dreams are less scary? Would you attribute this, possibly, to game-empowerment?

• Like 1

Interesting to hear about everyone else's experience with this weird thing our brains do. 

Another anecdote, that I don't know if it has been studied, is that I find that I never have nightmares anymore. In fact, they're now my favourite dreams.

If something weird or horrible is happening to me in a dream I fight back now. I usually realise I'm dreaming, and that allows me to conjour up whatever tools or skills I need to get out of the situation. Most of the time, the scenario or the tools I'll use will be from in a game. I've dreamt I was on the Citadel from Mass Effect, been a parkouring secret agent, been in an underwater city, rescued my family from megalomaniacal dictators with telekenetic powers, all sorts of weird shit. 

I don't know if that's related to games or not. Anyone else found that their dreams are less scary? Would you attribute this, possibly, to game-empowerment?

I have the feeling that my nightmares get even worse and that I'll get more of them. But then again I'm a pussy and I play horror games and watch horror movies. Wish I had your ability to control my dreams

Wish I had your ability to control my dreams

It's not exactly a "total control" kind of thing. I usually notice that impossible things are happening after a while, and that I'm dreaming, and it's more of a "ok, I'm dreaming and I need a thing to deal with this problem", and then all of a sudden I'll have something, or the problem that I don't want to deal with will go away. I think it's what people usually refer to as lucid dreaming. It's kinda hard to describe.

• Like 1

I've been playing Assassin's Creed IV for a few days, and just this afternoon I had to stop myself from attempting to climb a wall when changing the battery in a smoke detector. I've also definitely had to do more than a few double-takes while driving, after playing Saints Row. I'm sure there have been other instances, but I can't remember ever acting on any of these instincts. Can't say I've ever seen or heard anything from a game IRL.

This has happened once for me and it was back in 2010 when I was playing Assassins Creed 1. I played it more or less in one sitting and after I was done I kept hearing the eagle noise when you do a leap of faith. It was very strange. As far as I can remember that's the only time it's happened.

I got to say It both Interesting and Frightening at the same time. Good thing I only expenrience soud efect in some game when I thinking. The true is in kinda scare for people who got some severe cases, this is why sometime we need to stop play game for couple day. My only hope in the future the case of GTP are not going to get much worse 

After platting the PoP HD trilogy nearly in a row, I found myself daydreaming in the Biergarten looking at the walls and imagining how I would climb and overcome them, had I been in a Prince of Persia game at that very moment - and similar stuff I can't recall right now sometimes happened over the years.