XBox 360 production has ended

ShadowStar83x

Well done Microsoft.

The 360 had a good innings, great sales, and defined the modern console with its Live service, achievements and, later, added features like on demand video, downloadable games, and expanded social features. 

There were a few hiccoughs along the way, such as Kinect, the promise of which which burned brightly but quickly. 

The PS4, PS3 and PSN would look very different today had it not been for Microstoft setting the standard on the 360. Even if you didn't own a 360 and have stuck with PlayStation since the PS1, you have that to thank the 360 for. 

• Like 1

They could manufacture a huge amount of consoles, stop production and keep selling PS3's. That's what they did with PS2 I think. Sony were selling PS2's till the end of 2014 / Q1 2015 here whereas production ended sometime in 2013 iirc. That's what I think will happen with PS3 and what I initially referred and its what MS is probably gonna do with the 360. I reckon the stocks will last for a while.

No. Sony were producing PS2s until 2013, almost 8 years after Xbox... That's 3 years ago... I still think they will keep producing PS3s for at least 2 years, and probably 3+ years more.

Edited by MMDE

While I enjoyed the PS3 more in the end, the Xbox 360 was my intro to last gen and my only last gen console until 2009 or 2010 when I purchased a fat PS3.  In honor of the 360, here are my favorite console exclusives (in the West anyway):

10. Kameo: Elements of Power

9. Gears of War 3

8. Magna Carta 2

7. Fable III

6. Saints Row

5. Alan Wake

4. Fable II

3. Gears of War

2. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

1. Tales of Vesperia

Sorry Halo fans - not a big fan of most FPS's.  The 360 was the king of the timed exclusive in those early years, with best of gen contenders like Oblivion, Mass Effect, and Bioshock appearing first on the 360.

• Like 1

Considering 360 sold 24k in the US in March and PS3 sold 2k I'm expecting Sony to announce their stopping production sometime soon. It's in their best interest anyway to get more PS4's out there and people to pay for PS Now to play the PS3 games.

and the US gets the final verdict why? because in europe the opposite thing happened on march: good ps3 sales and bad x360 sales, not to mention the x360 only sold less than 5 units in japan the whole month, while the ps3 sold thousands of units there (there are even ps3 games still charting in the top 10 sales data from that country), and worldwide the ps3 sold more than the x360 in that month combining sales from all the countries.

the xbox 360 might have been more successful than the ps3 in the US, but everywhere else the ps3 was always the one that sold the most, so not surprising that it ended production before the ps3.

Edited by smellslikejavier
  • Like 3

Wasn't Bluray initially Sony technology though? The first commercially available worldwide Blurays were out in 2006, while the 360 launched in late 2005. You could argue that they could have included it with later consoles but that would require a complete overhaul of the system which seems unreasonable from a business and practical standpoint (though I'm  not a tech expert so maybe I'm wrong), and they included it for the Xbone anyway. Given thata few years later Bluray players were a lot more commercially viable is it even that big of  a deal? Also lol having to pay for online multiplayer look what's happening now with the PS4. 

and why are you talking about current gen consoles if i was comparing old gen consoles? if i was talking about x360 vs ps4 then yes you would be right, but i was talking about x360 vs ps3, and ps3 had free online. while my friend was using like 2 dvds or more to play la noire in 2012 in his x360 i was using a single blu ray to play it on ps3.

When a xbox360 production ended up as a console war. Well what die you expect from console peasants hehe

??, yeah i have a laptop from 2011 and can't play 2016 games unless i waste more money and update it , "pc mustard race".

• Like 1

Before I bought PS3 back in 2013 Xbox 360 was my main console for many years and that was a wonderful time of my life. I've been playing since NES-era but I had to say that when I got X360 it really raised my gaming experience to another level. I played games like Fallout 3 and GTA IV on that console and those are one of the coolest and mindblowing gaming moments I ever have had. Also I can't forget the whole Guitar Hero/Rock Band era. I invested so much money and time on those games that it's ridiculous to think after many years later. I could've experience all of these on PS3 but I didn't and I don't regret it a bit.

Thanks for the memories my lovely Xbox 360. We had some fun, we sure did! <3

Since you've played 148 console games on your account I'm gonna assume you're joking. But yeah, it seems there can't be an Xbox thread in a PSN forum without this shit happening every time

Got a ps3 since 2007 and have 510 steam games. Got a gap of 3 years while barely playing PS , while i always consistently played PC :P .

Indeed in every video, every article, every forum every picture with one of the consoles a war start. It's silly

• Like 1

Got a ps3 since 2007 and have 510 steam games. Got a gap of 3 years while barely playing PS , while i always consistently played PC :P .

meanwhile me: used to always play on pc, got frustrated with system requirements and don't meeting them, having to upgrade my pc and waste money every now and then to make newer games run properly on it, missing many AAA high budget consoles exclusives... i said screw it and just got a ps3 and a ps4 later, only use my pc mostly for facebook games, all my problems solved.

• Like 2

Didn't like the console that much anyways cause of the pay-to-play when PlayStation offered free online for the PS3. Anyways it was about time.. they're barely making any games for that console to begin with, physical wise.. it's typically only lego games and some other titles here &there.

Having had both consoles I did enjoy Xbox to an extent, but being everyone seemed hyped about party chat which PlayStation failed upon. I thought it made gaming kinda lonesome when playing multiplayer, even with the PS4. I miss the random interactions you had playing against/with people back on the PS3. But, overall last gens seemed to have vanished quickly knowing they've ending the production of Xbox 360 now.

Edited by Pyrotheseus

and the US gets the final verdict why?

Because the US make a lot more console sales then a hand full of European countries together. Also Japan is a non factor when it comes to gaming, the fact you added in makes your argument laughable.

I'm not saying that Japan is irrelevant but their clearly not important as they were in Sixth gen. The fact that both Sony and Nintendo launched their consoles in NA before Japan is proof enough.

I think the console was pretty much the best 7 generation console in my opinion. I would place it second behind the PS2 (Which is first in my mind), the social media and gaming aspect was just right in my books.

And it seems that Sony thought that was the case because the PS4 is clearly modelled by the 360 rather than it's ancestor.

Because the US make a lot more console sales then a hand full of European countries together. Also Japan is a non factor when it comes to gaming, the fact you added in makes your argument laughable.

I'm not saying that Japan is irrelevant but their clearly not important as they were in Sixth gen. The fact that both Sony and Nintendo launched their consoles in NA before Japan is proof enough.

I think the console was pretty much the best 7 generation console in my opinion. I would place it second behind the PS2 (Which is first in my mind), the social media and gaming aspect was just right in my books.

And it seems that Sony thought that was the case because the PS4 is clearly modelled by the 360 rather than it's ancestor.

and like i said seeing data sales from many different sites you can clearly see that the ps3 still outsells the x360 worldwide combining the sales from all the countries, giving that USA is pretty much one of the few countries were the x360 was still very relevant, because its a western/american console meanwhile playstation its like a much more "worldwide" brand to put it in some way, hence its more success on european and asian countries than the xbox. in my opinion is not that the x360 was bad, but having to use batteries for the controllers, dvd only games, pay-to-play online, etc was just some of the things that really put me off from it, i used to only play on pc but since that really frustrated me too for some other reasons that's why i bought a ps3 instead last gen, and now a ps4.

• Like 1

and like i said seeing data sales from many different sites you can clearly see that the ps3 still outsells the x360 worldwide combining the sales from all the countries, giving that USA is pretty much one of the few countries were the x360 was still very relevant, because its a western/american console meanwhile playstation its like a much more "worldwide" brand to put it in some way, hence its more success on european and asian countries than the xbox.

Lol, worldwide?

PS3 isn't a worldwide console, 80 to 90% of its success is due to the Western exclusives and timed deals. People just can't get over that fact, the console had more shooters. Outside EU, SA (To an extent) and NA, those countries are just a lot for the ride. The PS3 was in the same position the XB360 was in.

Anyway, I'm ducking out as I know we will just go round in circles.

and like i said seeing data sales from many different sites you can clearly see that the ps3 still outsells the x360 worldwide combining the sales from all the countries, giving that USA is pretty much one of the few countries were the x360 was still very relevant, because its a western/american console meanwhile playstation its like a much more "worldwide" brand to put it in some way, hence its more success on european and asian countries than the xbox. in my opinion is not that the x360 was bad, but having to use batteries for the controllers, dvd only games, pay-to-play online, etc was just some of the things that really put me off from it, i used to only play on pc but since that really frustrated me too for some other reasons that's why i bought a ps3 instead last gen, and now a ps4.

Yeah, really, there was no big winner in 7th gen as far as I know, but X360 was far from any kind of clear winner. X360 had a good amount of sales early on, often had better ports and generally sold more copies of most most selling multi plats. X360 did however end up last when it comes to sales of console, even if many purchased several X360s because of their high failure ratio. PS3 won pretty clearly in the exclusives department, and didn't really catch up to X360 in terms of sale before very late in the life cycle, but was also released a good while later too, so no real wonder there. Wii ended up with most sales, but yeah... I don't think it was a smash hit among many consumers for very long.

Not being into shooters or racing games etc, X360 had very little to offer, and that same goes for X1, which has still literally nothing interesting to me.

Yes.

I feel like I'll end up doing that to my XB1 soon. :P

X360 did however end up last when it comes to sales of console, even if many purchased several X360s because of their high failure ratio.

I love this, people want to end the generation on their terms only.  We don't even have the data for 2013 console sales, how can you suddenly just declare that PS3 won?

PS3 won pretty clearly in the exclusives department.

No it didn't. Apart for GOW 3, The Uncharted Collection, GT, MS and LBP 1-2, no one was declaring the PS3 the people's exclusives hero.

Not being into shooters or racing games etc, X360 had very little to offer, and that same goes for X1, which has still literally nothing interesting to me.

Lol shooter and racing games? In 2005 to 2011, the XB360 had Kameco, Project Gotham, Halo, Viva Pinata, Alan Wake, Amped 3, Black Water, Ridge Racer 5 or 6, Bomberman, Bullet Witch, the crazy amounts of Shmups, DOA X2 and many more.

The console probably had diversity on par with PS3 or even beyond it.

Look, I have no beef that your opinions don't match mine and I'm cool with that, but don't start preaching BS like it's the truth.

Also I've seen your You-tube page where you said the Move is decent but the Kinect completely useless. There's clear bias when you talk.

Lol, worldwide?

PS3 isn't a worldwide console, 80 to 90% of its success is due to the Western exclusives and timed deals. People just can't get over that fact, the console had more shooters. Outside EU, SA (To an extent) and NA, those countries are just a lot for the ride. The PS3 was in the same position the XB360 was in.

Anyway, I'm ducking out as I know we will just go round in circles.

taking everything out of context, what i meant with worldwide is that due to PS incredible success since the PS1 era (counting main consoles, not handhelds) that led to its subsequent main consoles to be one of the most recognized worldwide, and with worldwide i mean america, europe and asia, PS always had a strong connection with asian genres like JRPG, anime, niche "weeaboo" titles, etc while the xbox mainly focused more on western-made genres like shooters, fps, etc and never really gave that big of a chance to those other genres despite some exceptions here and there (which lead to the first xbox, the second and now the third one to be a failure on sales in asian countries), so that's why the xbox brand was always and it still being recognized as a western console only, meanwhile PS doesn't has that title.

No it didn't. Apart for GOW 3, The Uncharted Collection, GT, MS and LBP 1-2, no one was declaring the PS3 the people's exclusives hero.

Lol shooter and racing games? In 2005 to 2011, the XB360 had Kameco, Project Gotham, Halo, Viva Pinata, Alan Wake, Amped 3, Black Water, Ridge Racer 5 or 6, Bomberman, Bullet Witch, the crazy amounts of Shmups, DOA X2 and many more.

and the last of us, heavy rain, beyond two souls, demon's souls, large etc.

nearly all of those for one or other reason were ground breaking games (heavy rain which influenced telltale's games, life is strange, until dawn, etc, the last of us influencing the gameplay for other games like the evil within, re revelations 2, etc, demon's souls being the first souls entry of the series...), being the last of us one of the most award winning games of all time, alongside with the witcher 3.

even with those titles the xbox brand was always recognized as shooter and racing games, halo among them, the rest of them weren't that popular or ground breaking unlike heavy rain and the last of us for the people to start to think that the x360 had a huge diversity

taking everything out of context, what i meant with worldwide is that due to PS incredible success since the PS1 era (counting main consoles, not handhelds) that led to its subsequent main consoles to be one of the most recognized worldwide, and with worldwide i mean america, europe and asia, PS always had a strong connection with asian genres like JRPG, anime, niche "weeaboo" titles, etc while the xbox mainly focused more on western-made genres like shooters, fps, etc and never really gave that big of a chance to those other genres despite some exceptions here and there (which lead to the first xbox, the second and now the third one to be a failure on sales in asian countries), so that's why the xbox brand was always and it still being recognized as a western console only, meanwhile PS doesn't has that title.

Those tittles are there because people like you give consoles those tittle. PS success was due to the PS1 and PS2 being the best thing out of the competition nothing else nothing more. If PS4.5 is real and it doesn't gain any traction, what will you use as your defence?

Also those genres don't belong to Japan or any Asian countries, Anime is cartoon in Japanese and JRPG would have never exist without the first RPG which is Western not Japanese.

Those tittles are there because people like you give consoles those tittle. PS success was due to the PS1 and PS2 being the best thing out of the competition nothing else nothing more. If PS4.5 is real and it doesn't gain any traction, what will you use as your defence?

Also those genres don't belong to Japan or any Asian countries, Anime is cartoon in Japanese and JRPG would have never exist without the first RPG which is Western not Japanese.

there's a difference within a cartoon based game like spongebob and an anime based game like naruto, come on.

JRPG and RPG are different that's why they have different names, with PS focusing on the first one, an asian genre so its still a valid point.

isn't the ps4.5 a new model and not a whole new console like a ps5? that's like comparing a ps3 fat and a ps3 slim in my opinion, upgraded hardware but everything else is the same.

What do all these posts have to do with the 360 ending production?

I guess since the XBONE is backward compatible with all 360 titles, people interested in playing any of them can just pick that up. No need for 360 to be made or sold.

I know it's not backward compatible with very many titles, I'm just playing ignorant.

there's a difference within a cartoon based game like spongebob and an anime based game like naruto, come on.

JRPG and RPG are different that's why they have different names, with PS focusing on the first one, an asian genre so its still a valid point.

isn't the ps4.5 a new model and not a whole new console like a ps5? that's like comparing a ps3 fat and a ps3 slim in my opinion, upgraded hardware but everything else is the same.

Apart from the style of the drawing, there's no difference between an Anime game and a Cartoon based one. Also RPG and JRPG are not different, JRPG (which doesn't exist) would be classed as sub genre of RPG (As it has no major differences than the fact the game was created in Japan). Asian genres don't exist, bring me proof that it does.

PS4.5/Maybe XB1.5 would be 8.5 generation consoles. PS3 Original are PS3 Super Slim/ Slim are technically the same. You are right about that. I was talking about if the PS4.5 makes good sales in EU and NA but bad sales in Japan, how can you say that it's a worldwide brand with worldwide brand success?

What do all these posts have to do with the 360 ending production?

Pretty much nothing, I just don't like to read blatant lies. Anyway, I will drop it now.

The only games I care about on XBOX 360 that were exclusives are Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead. 

The online play for 360 was excellent, but the consoles were constructed poorly. I went through 3 360's in 2 and a half years. All red ringed on me. Ridiculous. I'm not made of money.