PS Vita games with good controls

Sprunky106

Hi everyone.

I've had my Vita for a while now but only used it as a second screen for my PS4 so I can play that game around the house. That didn't last long however because the R2 and L2 buttons on the back of the Vita were a pain and the handheld has been collecting dust ever since.

It's about time I started playing some games for the Vita though and here is where my predicament starts. I know that a game which is made for PS4 isn't going to be great on a handheld console so I'm hoping PS Vita games don't have to use those weird R2 and L2 things on the back. I'm hoping you guys can give me recommendations for good Vita games that have good controls.

The games from bigger franchises like Assassin's Creed seem like they won't have good controls on the tiny Vita. But those are just my prejudices and I want actual Vita gamers to tell me about their experiences :)

Killzone: Mercenary has good controls and feels very well done on the PS Vita. When aiming a sniper rifle, you can use the rear touch pad to zoom in and out; and unlike Borderlands 2, it actually responds quite nicely.

OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood can be played on both systems. However, the game actually felt much more responsive on the PS Vita than it did on the PS4. Additionally, you don't use the rear touch pad for anything.

Other games worth mentioning from my own personal experience:

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1
Final Horizon
Need for Speed: Most Wanted

• Like 3

Killzone: Mercenary has good controls and feels very well done on the PS Vita. When aiming a sniper rifle, you can use the rear touch pad to zoom in and out; and unlike Borderlands 2, it actually responds quite nicely.

OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood can be played on both systems. However, the game actually felt much more responsive on the PS Vita than it did on the PS4. Additionally, you don't use the rear touch pad for anything.

Other games worth mentioning from my own personal experience:

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1

Final Horizon

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

I have to disagree on killzone, even on the highest sensitivity it feels really stiff.

Uncharted has some decent controls

Ar nosurge plus

Shinobido

Gravity Rush

• Like 1

Haven't had many issue as far as controls go with most games I've played. But I'll mention Killzone: Shadow Fall as being the best FPS you will play on a handheld. I personally thought it controlled really well, though I'm sure it took some adjusting to. I played it quite a bit so I really had the hang of it after some time. 

• Like 2

As much as I love Gravity Rush on Vita but the controls were bad especially on the Slim Vita.

I second this. Gravity Rush is a good game on Vita, but the controls, especially the gliding mechanics are bad due to the rear touchpad-usage. It was a good decision that Sony brought it to PS4 and that it stays there.

Have any of you tried the AC Chronicles or AC Liberation on the Vita?

Avoid Liberation. The controls aren't fun and overall this is a mediocre game. 

Most already mentioned them, but I would also recommended the following:

Hotline Miami

Muramasa Rebirth

Rayman Origins

Shovel Knight

Velocity Ultra

Velocity 2X (IMO much better on Vita than on PS4)

WipEout 2048

• Like 1

Any lego PSVita game has good controls and then I would add the following -> Volume, Tearaway, Color Guardians, Everybody's Golf, Dokuro (one of my favorite PSVita games), Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Putty Squad.  

Gravity Rush is also a must for any Vita owner but does take time to master the controls especially if you are going for platinum and those sliding races.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

The RPGs aren't really my thing with the turn-based combat. I don't have the patience for that^^

Those racers and shooters sound really good.

It's awesome to have a real AC game on the Vita like liberation. The game isn't as good as the console versions, but it's not a totally different type of game like the AC game for the PSP and AC Chronicles. The graphics are good for a handheld and the soundtrack is awesome. The combat and frame rate isn't as smooth as on consoles. The story started up fine but the ending felt rushed. If you want to get a platinum, the multiplayer trophies really suck (slow and repetitive tapping) and takes many hours.

I would recommend Killzone Mercenary and Ninja Gaiden Sigma plus. Ninja Gaiden plays very smooth and has become my favorite vita game. It's not for everyone, as it is extremely hard (but like Dark Souls, it feels awesome when you finally succeed).

Edited by Leejjon

I thought the general gameplay AC Liberation controls were fine.. it has all the usual control issues for AC games on console so it is faithful there! :D  Some of the vita specific controls are terrible.. I remember one in particular where you had to shine a light on the vita's camera to illuminate treasure maps that was particularly bad and inconsistent.. saying that I did enjoy the game and got the Plat despite the terrible mutliplayer and some super grindy trophies.

I would second most of the other suggestions.. also Rogue Legacy, Bastion, Child of Light, Fez

Generally the indie PC ports have straight forward and responsive controls on Vita and I prefer to play them on Vita vs PS4 as they seem to suit the smaller screen better.

Going back to your original motivation to get the Vita for remote play.. I can recommend Fallout 4 for having fantastic Vita specific controls that do not use the back touch... I played a huge amount of game this way just exploring the wasteland and tended to only play the main story missions on the big screen... also VATS helps when playing on the small screen.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss has controls like Uncharted 2, only in a few instances things can get a little... boring... because there are many puzzles where you have to swipe the screen to uncover an image or point the Vita at something bright to solve a puzzle, but most of the time you're sneaking by and/or shooting people.

The big problem in the game though are the QTEs in the final boss, it seems to be very precise and you must swipe the screen perfectly and at a very specfic speed... but that only becomes a problem on Crushing (which you need to beat to get the platinum), on that difficulty you die in those QTEs if you fail just once.  :(

But other than those, the game is pretty nice and you can get a decent Uncharted experience on the Vita, plus learn some backstory on the series.  :)

Thanks for all the quick responses.

The RPGs aren't really my thing with the turn-based combat. I don't have the patience for that^^

Those racers and shooters sound really good.

I personally hate AC Liberation on vita for a bunch of reasons.

I don't recommend it but if you really want to try it I suggest getting the console version instead

I haven't noticed any real control problems with Vita games except for Dead Nation.  The right stick aiming was all over the place - I didn't have a problem with Helldivers so I'm guessing it isn't just me.

As for AC: Liberation, if you are a huge AC fan and can look past a few bugs, it is probably at least worth trying.  I enjoyed playing through the campaign, and the setting and protagonist are both very unique to the series.

I personally hate AC Liberation on vita for a bunch of reasons.

I don't recommend it but if you really want to try it I suggest getting the console version instead

That's what I was thinking too because they've added some features for the PS3 version.

I just don't think a game like AC or CoD will be good with a button layout like the Vita has.