Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Beta Impressions

So the closed beta released today for those that got into it, so I was curious what people's first impressions were.

Personally I'm enjoying it for the most part, but I have the same issue with it that I have with the first one - the controls feel awkward and clunky sometimes. Mostly though it does play well, and I like that it has cutscenes now as it gives us a bigger insight into the game world. I didn't play much of it because I've been ridiculously tired today, but I'll play some more later and post back here

So, how did you like the beta?

Edited by D-Brawl3r

I'm downloading it now as well... *waiting intensifies*

edit: I'm loving it so far, the controls are a bit weird at the start but you can get used to it.

I'm not sure how i feel about unlocking things though, this just makes some of the Dashes or user-created Time Trials harder to 3-star until you unlock this or that move, but it does feel like you're "progressing" in a way, you can't roll or coil or quick turn by default so you'll definitely need to unlock some things before trying out some of the timed trials in the game.

It also feels a bit like The Divison when it comes to the map screen because you can see your friends on the map, but not in the world.

Edited by renatabls

It feels a lot better than the original. It feels like they did what they really wanted to achieve - not once was I forced to pick up a gun, ever, that alone is a massive improvement. As is being able to just quickly attack an enemy and keep moving instead of having to either run past them, or stop and fight.

I'm also glad to see a progression system. ME1 had a LOT of abilities, but most of them were pretty much useless for the average player - only a few were really useful, like the Quickturn. Having them behind a leveling system allows you to choose the abilities you want without having to worry about wasting time or accidentally using an ability you don't want.

Thanks for heads up, I miss so many betas simply due to not checking the 'Promotions' tab of my inbox  xD. Like the majority of this thread, I'm downloading too, will edit this post with thoughts. Though from reading your thoughts I'm slightly worried, a Mirror's Edge game should be anything but clunky.

Edit: 1 Hour in.

I love it, a proper story, the beautiful style, and parkour is fluid enough for me. I had to bump up the sensitivity since turning around was so clunky (And they've done away with the quick turn button it seems), but everything else seems improved. Button presses feel much more responsive, melee combat is vastly improved (although the enemies seem pretty simple at this point, they pretty much stand around waiting to get toppled. I have yet to properly experience the open world, but it feels like Thief's open world atm, just a nice transistion between missions instead of an explorable map. The movement upgrades critiscm feels unwarranted, as you can still perform all of the original moves, the upgrades just improve them. Although I don't think the game needs the upgrade tree. 

Edited by Saltyie
  • Like 1

It feels a lot better than the original. It feels like they did what they really wanted to achieve - not once was I forced to pick up a gun, ever, that alone is a massive improvement. As is being able to just quickly attack an enemy and keep moving instead of having to either run past them, or stop and fight.

I'm also glad to see a progression system. ME1 had a LOT of abilities, but most of them were pretty much useless for the average player - only a few were really useful, like the Quickturn. Having them behind a leveling system allows you to choose the abilities you want without having to worry about wasting time or accidentally using an ability you don't want.

You weren't ever forced to in the original, either, apart from in the final level where you had to shoot a few machines to progress. There was even a trophy for going through the entire game without shooting anybody.

So the more I played it, the less the controls felt weird and the more I loved it. You really do get used to it and everything starts to feel really solid. Not to mention the amazing soundtrack and visuals, and the fact there's a story this time around. I'll definitely be purchasing this

I agree with this honestly. But not only are you not forced to pick up a gun, you can't. Gunplay isn't in the game anymore which I think is great because it made a game about going fast really slow down

My impressions so far are very good. This is exactly what I wanted out of a new Mirror's Edge. The movement and traversal are very much refined and fluid and now falling to your death is more likely to be your fault rather than iffy hit detection. The platforming is better than ever. The combat is taking a lot of getting used to but it's very fun and satisfying to combo off parkour moves and beat down enemies. The open world was a great decision and it's fun to be able to explore the city freely. There is a surprising amount of content in the beta which worries me a little about exactly how big the full game will be. I really hope this is just one tiny slice of a much more massive world.

Most of my fears about the game have dissipated thanks to the beta. So far I love the game and it's a definite buy for me when it launches.

• Like 1

You weren't ever forced to in the original, either, apart from in the final level where you had to shoot a few machines to progress. There was even a trophy for going through the entire game without shooting anybody.

I didn't say forced to use, I said forced to pick up - there's a difference. When you fought guys in the original, you often had to counter their attacks, which forced you to take their guns, which then required you to drop them if you had no use for them - slowing you down. There was also a lot of just plain forced combat, period.

That's gone as far as I can see in Catalyst. Faith now just knocks guys out, or you can do a quick attack out of a jump/wall jump and keep moving without losing any speed. The combat doesn't force you to stop anymore.

The movement upgrades critiscm feels unwarranted, as you can still perform all of the original moves, the upgrades just improve them. Although I don't think the game needs the upgrade tree. 

You can perform the most useful ones off the bat - the more advanced ones are upgrades. ME1 had all of the advanced stuff available at anytime, and they were hardly ever used. Quickturn is also still in the game - but it's an upgrade as well.

I didn't say it was needed, just that it's nice that they don't have all of the stuff you might never use as optional upgrades instead of just having them there from the start, where you might fuck up a run doing something you didn't intend to.

IE: Mistiming a roll and ending up doing a curl, causing you to either lose speed, or take damage from a jump. Curling hardly ever had a real use outside of the tutorial. You don't have to worry about it messing you up, because both the Curl and the Roll are upgrades - and the roll is way more useful.

Edited by Fox