Nioh Alpha Demo Discussion

JavaNext

Nioh's alpha demo just came out and I'm interested in seeing what you think about it.

I played it for about half an hour (not enough time I know) but it felt a bit awkward honestly.

It might be because I've been playing DSIII and maybe expect something a bit different.

Regardless, Im going to give it another shot when I get some more free time.

So have you played it? What did you think about it? Comment below, let me know!

Edited by JavaNext

Game is pretty good, but they need to work on the balance. Player is underpowered, plus limited with stamina mechanic, and it takes too long to kill an enemy.

Yeah I played it a bit more today and noticed an "interesting" mechanic related to the stamina system.

When you finish a combo you can press R1 and it instatly refills your stamina, that's probably the reason they made the regen so slow.

The combat definitly needs a lot of work though, for example when you lock on to an enemy you shoudnt turn your back to him when you walk away...

Damn this Demo is so brutal! Team Ninja are no strangers to making hard games, but it does feel a little unbalanced at the moment. Anyone else getting one/two shotted easily or do I just need to git gud?!? Im at the part with the boss on the boat but am getting my ass kicked everytime, any tips??

Pretty happy with what Ive played so far though, its pretty addictive!

Edited by JokerJoe14

Damn this Demo is so brutal! Team Ninja are no strangers to making hard games, but it does feel a little unbalanced at the moment. Anyone else getting one/two shotted easily or do I just need to git gud?!? Im at the part with the boss on the boat but am getting my ass kicked everytime, any tips??

Pretty happy with what Ive played so far though, its pretty addictive!

I saw a video in the PS4 XMB where someone used an axe jumping attack (it's the triangle at the end of combo while on high stance move) while it was infused with lightning and it did TONS of damage to that 1st boss, so you could try that! I killed him by using my best sword in mid stance (square stance) and i infused it with water, had two of those water cards plus four "eggs" that did poison damage and max Elixir. (10 seems to be the max)

Edited by renatabls

I tried it out. It was fun but kind of cheap in terms of how easy it is to die. I know it's supposed to be like Dark Souls but one or two hits is a bit much for common enemies. Stamina also seemed to drain really fast. I hope that's just an alpha thing and it get rebalanced later on.

• Like 1

Never played one of these games before, so yeah i got my ass kicked quite often. The game should have the option to play with your friends and not just a random matchmaking system. The player starts way too underpowered at the beginning so that's another thing that needs to be fixed. I managed to complete the first stage recently.

lrUPfmJ.jpg

• Like 3

I beat the 2nd boss (and finished the demo) earlier today, this game is actually super addictive! The only thing it's missing is an invite system or a way for me to join my friends, playing with randoms is fun- but it would be funnier with friends and much easier since you can cooperate, etc.

The whole game revolves around you being underleved and fightning against high-level enemies, it seems that every time there is a different enemy type from the usual humans (such as the lesser demons a.k.a Yoki, ninjas or cyclops), the game gets much harder and you'll need to know the enemy attacks, patterns etc. Things also get very frustrating when 2+ enemies want to fight you, but, once you beat that mission it gets much easier when you replay it, you'll be killing everyone in 2~3 hits. Knowing the different routes also does wonders since you'll be skipping most of the harder enemies.

Playing co-op definitely makes things easier, but i don't think it affects the bosses that much since people seem to die way too fast which kicks the other, this is where an invite system would come in handy- or maybe a revive mechanic.

Also, if you start a mission you'll be stuck in it unless you use an item to get back to the map menu, so you can't join other people or play other missions until you beat the one you're in or use the (rare) item. I'm not sure how i feel about this since the alpha only has 2 missions, but if they don't change it then it will be very inconvenient in the full game...

Like i previously said this game desperately needs the option of co op by invitation and not just random players. Anyway i managed to complete the whole demo. The second boss is hard to beat, but once you figure what to do the boss battle is a complete joke. I was able to beat him in less than 2 minutes when i knew what to do. Here's how me encounter went.

• Like 2

i played a bit, felt it still needs lots of work as the combat seems to be lacking something, i cant quite put my finger on, and the one hit kills from nearly everything. way too underpowered. 
im not saying i wont get this, but i will most likely wait for a few reviews (hoping its a 8 or higher) as well as a price drop. If it sells at $75 in Canada at launch, ill wait the 2 months for it to drop to $40.

time will tell

So i played it today too.  At beginning you of both stages you are very underpowered , but thats fine, because fitting equip is dropping fast. it is very challenging but i love this high difficulty.  I love the rpg elements like item drops with different stats.

There are only 2 things i dont like .  

1) dodging is not that good , specially the backwards running to get some distance ! i hate when i have turn my back to enemys to get some distance ! rolling backwards woul be better.

2) repair system. please dont let us only repair with drop items .... thats awefull .... Repair on shrine or atleast let us buy whetstones . It is fine that you have to repair your gear, Dark souls 3 my gear never broke or got in bad shape because of the "auto-repair" .

But rest is very very well made! Hard as hell but very satisfaying !