spoiler experation date

Stargazer2600

So i was at work today talking to a coworker about the batman games. I was talking about arkham city when another worker heard me and said "damn man, ever heard of a spoiler warning?" I looked at him with my "are you serious" look. We then got into a conversation about how long you should give a "spoiler warning" He says there is no time limit that you should always announce spoilers even if its 50 years old. 

I however disagree. Depending on the content, you get certain amounts of times

A popular weekly show - 2 weeks
a popular video game - 6 months
a popular movie - 1 month

After that time though, its all free. Cant expect people to hold back forever just cause you havent gotten to it. Am i right? whats your thoughts?

Even After a couple of years it still can be a sore point so I'll generally ask if people mind spoilers.  Then again people can be way too precious about this stuff and maybe shouldn't be nebbing in on conversations you are having with someone else.

In other news; she's a guy, he's a ghost, it's a sled ...

As much as it may be nice to have no expiration date.. it simply isn't realistic. Especially with huge things like Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince's ending. People need to talk about it, and having to say "spoiler warning" before every sentence if somebody happens to be nearby would get extremely tiring, especially with such old things like HPatHBP and Batman: Arkham City (I mean, I haven't finished Arkham City yet - I've barely started - but I wouldn't be mad if somebody spoiled it. It is really quite old by now, after all.)

• Like 1

DGAF about spoilers, people's dislike of them, or whatever arbitrary deadline for their expiration is. This pitchfork and torch mob against spoiling stories didn't exist a few years ago but people act like it's been chiseled into rock right below the other 10 commandments. Deliberately giving away a surprise for the express purpose of ruining someone's day is a dick move, but on the other hand if someone wants to discuss a show or whatever with me because that's what human beings do, I'm going to do it. I shouldn't have to tailor my conversation around what other people may or may not have seen. "Dude, spoilers!" Grow up. If David Prowse can give away that Darth Vader was Luke's father for The Empire Strikes Back 2 years before its release and the entire media franchise wasn't burned to the waterline by angry fans, then I can talk about whatever I want to.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 3

Spoilers do not have warnings. People who think they do are inconsiderate. If you want to talk about stuff that is likely popular, do it either without talking about the spoiler or out of earshot. I don't go around yelling "Kaiser Soze kills Kevin Spacey at the end of Usual Suspects!!!" Because I love the movie and want everyone who watches it to have the same effect as when I watched it. To think otherwise is selfish.

• Like 1

Spoilers do not have warnings. People who think they do are inconsiderate. If you want to talk about stuff that is likely popular, do it either without talking about the spoiler or out of earshot. I don't go around yelling "Kaiser Soze kills Kevin Spacey at the end of Usual Suspects!!!" Because I love the movie and want everyone who watches it to have the same effect as when I watched it. To think otherwise is selfish.

Let's imagine a scene. I'm standing in the school/college hallways, waiting for a lesson, discussing the plot of a game/movie/book with my friend. Somebody walks by. Are we supposed to stop talking everytime somebody walks by us, just in case they aren't aware of the spoiler(s)? If it's a story-driven game/movie/book, then it's impossible to discuss without some spoilers. And spoiler-worthy moments are generally the parts worth discussing the most.

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1

Cant expect people to hold back forever just cause you havent gotten to it. Am i right? whats your thoughts?

One month for movies? So if you didn't go to a theater, eff U??? What the hell?

Let's imagine a scene. I'm standing in the school/college hallways, waiting for a lesson, discussing the plot of a game/movie/book with my friend. Somebody walks by. Are we supposed to stop talking everytime somebody walks by us, just in case they aren't aware of the spoiler(s)?

OP was talking to a co-worker around co-workers. He *knew* people he has to see every time he works were in earshot. Strangers (yes, that includes people in school that aren't your friends) who are eaves dropping can go screw themselves.

That said, what are you people doing in public? Standing around repeating "Leo kills everyone in Inception. Leo kills everyone in Inception."??? You refer to the spoiler in vague terms and the people in the conversation know what you're talking about. I talk about shows and movies to my co-workers daily and we don't manage to explicitly reveal every spoiler of every show, yet we talk about them. How is this so difficult for people to manage?

Let's imagine a scene. I'm standing in the school/college hallways, waiting for a lesson, discussing the plot of a game/movie/book with my friend. Somebody walks by. Are we supposed to stop talking everytime somebody walks by us, just in case they aren't aware of the spoiler(s)? If it's a story-driven game/movie/book, then it's impossible to discuss without some spoilers. And spoiler-worthy moments are generally the parts worth discussing the most.

That is the one that pisses me off the most. If it's a freeform discussion and someone says "Hey, I haven't seen it yet, would you mind?", that's fair. Annoying, but if you're polite then it's a fair request. If I'm having an A-B discussion with another person and C uninvited person pipes up, "Dude, spoilers!", hey why don't you mind you're own fucking business?

• Like 2

I pretty much agree with the OP, there should be a little bit of "safe time" but not too much. If you haven't played Arkham City yet then you clearly don't care enough to have the right to get upset about spoilers. Not like it matters in 2016, when trailers pretty much tell you everything before the movie/game/whatever is even out.

• Like 1

IMO spoilers don't have an expiration date, but when things become so obvious/popular or become a meme, then it's okay to talk about it.

For example, now a days everyone knows Wesker is the villain in the Resident Evil games, but in RE1 that was only discovered near the end of the game. Wesker became so popular after each game that everyone knows he's the bad guy, and you just know someone who wears sun glasses at night can't be up to no good.

I think it's normal that people think some spoilers are okay to talk about though, especially when a game is old, but i believe that really depends on the game. If you spoil Heavy Rain's Origami Killer then that completely ruins the game because there will be no sense of "detectiveness" so you'll never try to guess who is the killer. Games like God of War III, Life is Strange, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed III, RE Revelations 2 (and many more) all have a "bomb" at the end that if you know about it early, it will ruin the experience.

Overall, spoilers usually come from random people on the internet. Usually when you're spoiled from a person in real life it was just an accident, people shouldn't stop discussing about a game's plot after it comes out just because it just came out, so i think it's your job to stay away from it until you play the game yourself.

As one who often lags behind new releases in just about every medium, I don't think there should be an expiration date on spoilers.  I prefer to wait until all but my most wanted titles are on sale before purchasing them, which can take well over 6 months in many cases (still waiting for that $20 price tag on Dying Light for instance).  Besides just my personal preference, the whole issue with video games becomes quite murky when you consider that games are released on new systems all the time and older classics are remade for a new generation.  I certainly wouldn't want to be the asshole that spoiled Final Fantasy VII for someone that picks up the remake and I wouldn't want one of my Xbox One friends telling me all about Rise of the Tomb Raider when I won't get a chance to play it until fall.

I can't stand people like that. If you don't want to be spoiled, then don't listen in on other people's conversation. I can get it on the internet, but in real life? Really? You expect people to scream "SPOILER ALERT FOR....." the whole time during a conversation you're not even a part of? People need to seriously reassess their priorities if that's the thing that's bothering them.

I'm starting to feel old.... Keep getting these thoughts in my head... "whiny kids these days, in my day...!" and I'm only 31 :rolleyes: .

Heh, I guess it's my time to start shooing those damn kids of my lawn :P.

For internet you could give it a couple of days to a couple of weeks depending on the situation, but IRL you just assess the situation and if you know the people you're having a conversation with don't mind, then spoil away IMO.

Edited by Ric
  • Like 2

One month for movies? So if you didn't go to a theater, eff U??? What the hell?

bro, its like $10 to go to the movies if that. if you really care and cant come up with $10 for a movie you either dont really care in which case you have no reason to be upset or you need to explain how your even on the internet since your so poor you cant come up with $10

I tend to view it as a courtesy. However, it would be a total dick move if you knew someone was experiencing something for the first time and spoiled it for them, no matter how late it is. I try to extend that courtesy. I think context also plays a role. If you are telling someone about something, then don't spoil it, so they have a chance to experience it for themselves.

You gave the example of movies and how you give them a month, wouldn't it then--according to your rules-- reinstate when that movie is release on home media? (as that is the way most people consume movies).

bro, its like $10 to go to the movies if that. if you really care and cant come up with $10 for a movie you either dont really care in which case you have no reason to be upset or you need to explain how your even on the internet since your so poor you cant come up with $10

Wow, dude. Your views on money are privileged.

• Like 1

I lean towards the they have no expiration date thing. But some movies and tv shows can spoil others so spoilers are part of life.

I generally won't mention spoilers unless the person I'm talking to says they've seen or played whatever it is we're talking about, it's the easiest way. If someone overhears and it's spoiled for them then that's their bad luck

Edited by feral611

I'd hate to be one of your friends or co-workers who has to make sure they race out and beat you to every game, movie, tv show, movie or news before you spoil it because if you see it before them, it means they really don't care.

Or you're selfish and only consider you and what you want and project your values on everyone else.

The situation isn't as binary as you make it. It's not either I don't care or I don't have the money. Grow up. Become an adult with responsibilities. Learn how childish your view is. Or don't. But accept that your stance is a really entitled stance because it is and there is no excuse.

You came here only looking for people who agree with you and you found them. It doesn't mean you're right. It means you found other people who only put what they want and what they want to do before their friends and family. A bit sociopathic if you ask me.

I tend to view it as a courtesy. However, it would be a total dick move if you knew someone was experiencing something for the first time and spoiled it for them, no matter how late it is. I try to extend that courtesy. I think context also plays a role. If you are telling someone about something, then don't spoil it, so they have a chance to experience it for themselves.

You gave the example of movies and how you give them a month, wouldn't it then--according to your rules-- reinstate when that movie is release on home media? (as that is the way most people consume movies).

Wow, dude. Your views on money are privileged.

perhaps i'm wording it wrong. I'm by no means privileged. It's just a popular movie is announced months sometimes a year or more in advance. If you really care to see it you can come up with $10. Even when i was unemployed i still managed to come up with the money to see star wars VII. I would by no means just blurt out something if the person was enjoying it for the first time and i knew it. I may say something like "your in for a ride" or something but i wouldnt do as you mentioned above. that would be dickish. But if a month goes by and i wanna have a conversation on my fb wall with my friends about a movie that has came and gone and you havent seen it cause you "just havent gotten to it yet" then you cant complain when you read a spoiler since you knew what the discussion was. my main gripe is when people who complain about spoilers are the people who have had multiple chances to see or experience said thing but haven't cause they (to be blunt and honest) are just to lazy. A example can be found in the walking dead, not only is it shown for free on tv, you can watch it on demand for free at any time after its airing until the season is done. Yet there are still people who complain about spoilers sometimes months after the season is finshed cause they "havent got to it" thats just being lazy.

I'd hate to be one of your friends or co-workers who has to make sure they race out and beat you to every game, movie, tv show, movie or news before you spoil it because if you see it before them, it means they really don't care.

Or you're selfish and only consider you and what you want and project your values on everyone else.

The situation isn't as binary as you make it. It's not either I don't care or I don't have the money. Grow up. Become an adult with responsibilities. Learn how childish your view is. Or don't. But accept that your stance is a really entitled stance because it is and there is no excuse.

You came here only looking for people who agree with you and you found them. It doesn't mean you're right. It means you found other people who only put what they want and what they want to do before their friends and family. A bit sociopathic if you ask me.

no, i came here to compare opinions and i'm honestly a bit suprised to see how its split down the middle. Please, do not pretend that you know me by making assumptions that i'm selfish or sociopathic. As i just said above. I have in no way personally attacked you. I just gave you a response to what you said. If you really care about a movie then yeah, you would go see it in the theater, thats how its always been. In this day in age its most likely gonna get ruined for you on the internet way before my month long silnce is up anyway

If a story is any good then it really doesn't matter that something is spoiled. I knew the big twist to the new Star Wars film and while I would have liked to have been surprised it didn't alter my enjoyment of the scene at all.

If something is more than a year old (or even a month old) then it is fair game. Am I supposed to look around the room to make sure everyone has seen Empire Strikes Back before I talk about Vader being Luke Skywalker's father?

In this day and age (where spoilers are online before the game/movie/show is even out) you can't expect everyone to mind their conversation because you couldn't be assed to play Batman Arkham City in the last 4 years. Also what spoilers are their in Batman AC? That the Joker was the badguy? I thought that was spoiled before the game even came out.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 3

I don't mind spoilers a millisecond after they're written. I enjoyed  the Star Wars movies despite knowing that Darth Vader was Luke's father and I could enjoy The Sixth Sense despite knowing that whatisface was dead. I can also enjoy things without having any plot details "spoiled" or whatever you'd call it.

I also understand that other people seem to care about spoilers for a reason that I can't understand. If I know that the person I'm talking to cares about spoilers or if I don't know their feelings towards spoilers, I'll try to find out what they know before talking about it.

I don't have a time limit because being "spoiled" is an entirely subjective matter. There cannot be an objective limit for a subjective matter.

Eavesdroppers can burn in hell though. Those assholes don't deserve to be warned if they're not involved in the conversation from the start.

It does seem like there are two distinct sides to this conversation. I am very much in the middle I think. As stated before I think it's a courtesy, except in the instances where you knowingly spoil. Then you're an asshole. For example, last year I was finally convinced to watch Breaking Bad after everything was put up on Netflix. I hadn't been much interested in it before but was compelled to start watching just to shut people up (and because of its pop cultural relevance). I was in the middle of season 2 and discussing how I felt about it so far with two coworkers at lunch when a third coworker, who was sitting nearby listening, piped in to describe the "big moments" from the later seasons. The two I was talking with tried to shut him up but he just continued with "oh don't worry its about the journey." No, he was an asshole who knowingly discussed major plot points for the kicks.

I usually consider a year an "expiration date" depending on what it is. I guess I just assume most people know of it already because people talk about the plotpoints and twists everywhere, so I assume they would already know or not care at that point. Maybe I just underestimate how far people actually go to avoid spoilers even for things that have been out even 10+ years. But after that I'm used to popular plot twists being common knowledge even if I haven't seen them.

I was in the middle of season 2 and discussing how I felt about it so far with two coworkers at lunch when a third coworker, who was sitting nearby listening, piped in to describe the "big moments" from the later seasons. The two I was talking with tried to shut him up but he just continued with "oh don't worry its about the journey." No, he was an asshole who knowingly discussed major plot points for the kicks.

I hate it when people do that and use that as an excuse. A journey can still be ruined if you already know what's going to happen. The most I was told with Breaking Bad before I watched it was how far Walt got in the business.