SF vs MK (would you want it?)

Stargazer2600

So once in a while (like once every few years) I always do a search to see if maybe some talks are even on the table for a Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat. We have seen both franchises in other games such as mk vs dc and street fighter vs Tekken. Now Street Fighter has been in more crossover games while MK has really only been in one (two if you count DLC scorpion in injustice).

Ed Boone has offered Capcom quite a few times to make the game and at one point it was looking good but the deal breaker was the fatalities. Bloods, guts and gore is Mortal Kombat’s bread and butter. However, Street Fighter games have never been that violent and Capcom would feel uncomfortable if they were to see the likes of Ryu and/or Chun-Li getting decapitated. or worse. Now one could argue that the game could do without the fatality system or blood and guts but this has been tested in MK vs DC and the game did not receive positive feedback (personally i liked it), mainly from the lack of blood and guts. The game did have fatalities but certain ones like the jokers was edited to keep the game at a T rating. (This fatality would then reappear agan in MK9 exactly he same way for shang tsung but not as the joker but as a clown)

It seems like fatalities are the only thing preventing the game from ever happening as Capcom doesn’t want to see its characters getting killed in violent fashion. I have asked this questions on different forums and i get mixed results. Some really want it still to this day and others, not so much. They say the fighting styles are completely different and switching either to match the other would kill the opposing feel of the other franchise.

However im curious what you all think, sound off below on your thoughts.
Edited by Stargazer2600

Nope.  Don't care for MK series.  Would rather have SF VS. Darkstalkers but that's never going to happen either.

The fighting styles are completely different.  MK is really slow compared to Capcom's fighters, one of the main reasons I can never get into that series.

• Like 1

Nope.  Don't care for MK series.  Would rather have SF VS. Darkstalkers but that's never going to happen either.

The fighting styles are completely different.  MK is really slow compared to Capcom's fighters, one of the main reasons I can never get into that series.

+1 for the Darkstalkers v SF. That'd be sick. Although I do feel SF is a superior fighting game, I also like MK and Injustice. But I agree with Demon, that'd be a crappy mix.

• 2 weeks later...

They say the fighting styles are completely different and switching either to match the other would kill the opposing feel of the other franchise.

This is exactly what I thought when I was reading through your post. They are both far too different from each other for them to find a "middle ground" and the result being a good game. That's just my opinion. 

I like both. But feel like the pure fighting mechanics have better longevity in SF than MK, as well as the general scene, from hardcore to casual, seem to stick around longer. Capcom also seems to decently support SF for years, opposed to MK's general cut and run one year cycle. MK is for those who want a fighting game on their shelf.