Modder Unlocking other Player's Trophies. Can I sue them.

Deathon6

I got in contact with Activision the day after the incident and they asked if I had video proof of this happening. I gave them the video above and they have seen it but I don't know if or when they plan on taking action against the player. 

I wish Sony would give us the option to re-lock trophies back. Maybe if a trophy hasn't been synced to the server yet we can re-lock it back. However once a trophy is locked again you have to earn it again to unlock it. 

So let's say you get put into a modded lobby and the modder unlocks a trophy for you. 

Let's say that trophy is a story mode trophy for beating the first mission but you haven't played the story mode yet and would rather get that trophy legitimately. 

You would be able to go to "Trophy Collection", go to the game, hit  :triangle:  on that trophy and select "Lock". 

Next you would get a warning message that would read, "Are you sure you want to lock this trophy? Once you do it can only be unlocked again by playing the game. ( :cross: Lock) ( :circle: Cancel).

I mean unsynced trophies are saved to our systems. I don't see why we can't have such an option. 

Once more thing. 

I was wondering if doing this would work. 

Step 1: Create a new ps3 user account. (Not a psn account.)

Step 2: Copy all your Saved Game Data over to your new user account. 

Step 3: Delete your old ps3 user account. (Doing so will also delete any unsynced trophies.)

Step 4: Sign into your psn account under your new ps3 user account. 

I would probably NOT do this. More likely Sony will ban you as it is your account with the now hacked trophies.

I doubt Sony will ever track you down, and a couple of hacked trophies is highly unlikely to get anyone else's attention if you don't draw notice to yourself.

IMO

Agreed completely. Sony has shown a remarkable tendency to punish the victim in these instances.

I wish Sony would give us the option to re-lock trophies back. Maybe if a trophy hasn't been synced to the server yet we can re-lock it back. However once a trophy is locked again you have to earn it again to unlock it. 

I think you are vastly over-estimating the percent of Playstation gamers who give any kind of crap about trophies.

• Like 2

I'll see if I can dig up the cases I'm thinking of where people had their iTunes and Amazon accounts banned did not win anything, even though the accounts had been used to legitimately purchase hundreds to thousands of dollars of digital items in years prior to being banned.

This is completely irrelevant, because in those cases I'm pretty sure the user broke the user agreements or something like that. That is not the case here.

This is completely irrelevant, because in those cases I'm pretty sure the user broke the user agreements or something like that. That is not the case here.

The goal of the American legal system is to make "whole" the plaintiff. And in the cases, the users themselves claimed they did not break the user agreements, that someone else either hacked or accessed their accounts and did so. But if you're familiar with the US legal system and the cases I was thinking of, I'm sure you're correct. This is totally different.

The goal of the American legal system is to make "whole" the plaintiff. 

Someone's been watching The People's Court!  :lol:

But seriously, Daiv is right. What would the OP sue for? The fact is, since online is free to PS3 customers, Sony can withdraw it at will. While perhaps a case could be made that this would diminish the value of his games with online components, how much would that be worth in a court of law? Online makes up a fraction of the value of each game, which has in turn depreciated over time. 

It reminds me of a People's Court from the 80s where a guy sued for a 6-pack of beer. That's about all it would be worth.

I don't think so. Sony will look into it and check his players met and interactions. They will then find out when the trophies were given out and the time the player was met that matches the time the trophies were unlocked will allow for them to identify them. If it adds up then they will potentially terminate their account.

I think you are expecting far too much/giving Sony far too much credit. At best, I would think they would take the report and file it under 'not particularly significant'.

Worse case scenario you get a hacker banned, who then decides to come after you and do a lot worse than unlock 3 trophies.

You would rather a hacker/modder get away with it, than to simply report them? Sony customer service isn't unreasonable, especially having video footage showing there was a hacked lobby.

Honestly, I would ask myself if it is worth the time and effort. This isn't a new issue, it has been known for ages (I don't play much COD, and was still aware of it). And yet, as I understand, the issue persists. Neither Sony nor Activision seem particular keen on fixing the problem.

As for Sony CS being reasonable, there are certainly numerous reports documenting the opposite. I'm not sure I would take the risk.

I realize that there is this sense that everything in the world must be fair and just all the time. Reality is messier.

Grand scheme of things, sometimes you have to ask - 'how important is this really to me?'

Edited by diskdocx
  • Like 1

If this happens would it unlock all the trophies again or just the ones you haven't unlocked because I put too many hours in the easter eggs and story mode for it to be undone.

Puts me off playing zombies now online

Edited by HKelly91

Honestly, if this means a lot to you, then I'd rather recommend contacting Sony, pay them tons of money to reset the trophies in question. xD I'm sure that is a much easier and cheaper task than winning any court case about this.

You..... You're joking right? If you are, then I will be the first to admit you got me..

If you aren't, I'm not seeing why you're resorting to suing them as the first measure. O.o

I think you skipped rational thought when you posted this.. Why not contact Sony? Why not just hide the trophies if contacting Sony doesn't work out?

Someone with law experience correct me if I'm wrong. But would you really spend what I think is thousands of dollars hiring a lawyer just over something like this? Apart from once again being irrational, it's a giant waste of money. O.O

Well Guys. I don't plan on suing anyone anytime soon. I was just wondering if you can sue for something like that. 

But I will tell you this. I'm not going to worry about modders much. Just play and enjoy the game. 

However if my account were to get banned because of some other player's BS. 

After I try everything possible to get it unbanned to no avail. I would then sue Sony, The company of said game and the modder. 

Well Guys. I don't plan on suing anyone anytime soon. I was just wondering if you can sue for something like that. 

But I will tell you this. I'm not going to worry about modders much. Just play and enjoy the game. 

However if my account were to get banned because of some other player's BS. 

After I try everything possible to get it unbanned to no avail. I would then sue Sony, The company of said game and the modder. 

Sony would laugh at you, Activision would counter-sue and the modder would tell you piss off.

• Like 1

You have to prove you had some type of damage in order to win. Your PSNP reputation isn't worth money so you are SOL. Sony isn't going to ban you for hacked trophies. If that was the case, the modder would have been banned for modding. I wouldn't mind someone hacking the Big League trophy for me due to Treyarchs incompetence.