Which Level / Team / Fun packs to buy

AffectatiousDonk

All you need for the 100% completion trophy wise is the level packs.

You can get 100% of the base game trophies with no additional characters.  To 100% the game in terms of every minikit gold brick etc you need a lot.  If you need that list, let me know.

• Like 1

Any advice please on which packs you enjoyed / are helpful to pickup. I am enjoying the game and local store has discounted them but ideally would prefer to buy only those that help with 100 percent Completition / or were quite enjoyable,

You only need the level packs for trophy 100%. For in game 100% completion I'm guessing it would have to be pretty much all of them. After getting everything needed for the plat and DLC 100% I had 41 gold bricks, out of 480. You would need the jurassic world team pack, scooby doo team pack, wicked witch of the west fun pack, a Chima pack and Ninjago pack just to unlock the remaining hub worlds. Even then once you get in there you will probably find you still come across something you need another character for. It is ludicrous how much is hidden behind the DLC/toy pack paywall.

• Like 1

OK so you'll need the 4 Level packs, the characters in the four level packs will provide a lot of the required abilities, upgrading vehicles will also provide a fair few abilities

Some Character packs with totally Unique abilities or Areas

Unikitty - Rainbow Blocks

Aquaman - Water Elementals

Wicked Witch of the West - Gives mind control and access to the World
Legolas - Pole Vault (shooting arrows to make poles to twirl on)

Some Team Packs to unlock certain Levels.

Scooby Do - Unlock the world and provides Tracking + digging ability + water jets from the upgraded Van

Jurassic Park - Unlock the world and provides the Gyrosphere and Vine Cutting Abilities as well as Electric switch charging

A Ninjago Pack - for the Spinjitsu Switches and to unlock the world.  Cole/Kai and Jay will give you laser deflection which is a rarer skill

Some choices that can be performed with various character packs but these would be my choices for the most utility

Cyberman - Cyberman gives Xray vision and Drones so is a good two for one.

Crager - Access to Chi world and Chima switches + can go underwater

Smiler - Small access and a bunch of abilties
Superman - Gives Freeze Breath

Emmet - Drill

I believe the above would cover all of the abilities available in game, some might require upgrading the vehicles.

Yes it's a lot of dough for sure but I kinda love Lego and the Dimensions stuff I have proudly sits next to my Lego Death star.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Aquaman and Wicked Witch, Wicked Witch makes Gandolf absolutely worthless to have around. She does everything he does, plus mind control, blows up silver bricks, flight. She's just better in every way.

And Aquaman is the only one that can use the pool summon things, and he's just generally really fun imo. And it's a lot easier using him to put out fires than a vehicle or something.

Scooby is pretty good too. I think he's the only one that can use underwater dig spots, he swims underwater, he can glide, stealth.

Those are three of my favorite characters. I enjoyed all the packs, Midway the least. But the main draw to Midway is the arcade games you get a lot of which are cool. And they really help you get the stud meter full if you can get gold on them [some of them are super easy]. Also handy for grinding out studs to buy things/upgrades. Portal is probably my favorite one.

I have the Portal and Ghostbusters level packs. I liked Ghostbusters I guess but I really loved Portal.

I heard a lot of people complain about the Doctor Who level pack, so I'm not getting it unless it's on a great sale.

Really? I loved it.

Edited by Elvick_

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, if anyone is interested I knocked up a spreadsheet of all my Lego Dimension Characters (Wave 1) and their abilities. You can see I have some cross - overs but gives you an idea of which ones to buy if you are looking for 100% (in game). Red text signifies which build I decided to go with.

Lego Dimensions Characters _ Abilities.pdf

Edited by cjshaitan
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm enjoying the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them story pack. TT wasn't generous with trophies on these year 2 packs but they can be pretty appealing anyway. The Sonic level is reminiscent of Classic Sonic. Long, pretty, and fun.

Didn't care much for Ghostbusters 2016 story pack. Mission Impossible was awesome, as if you were in the movie.

I'll probably never finish Midway Arcade because of annoying controls and frustrating difficulty on those 80's arcade games.

I think I've decided that if I don't enjoy certain trophies, then I may not 100%. Which is why I forked over for these dlc packs - they are just cool.

Good to hear Fantastic beasts pack is good, just playe Sonic level and it was great, probably my favourite next to the Simpsons ( which was a bit short ). Agreed the Arcade one was my least favourite but at least it was relatively short. Next up will be Ghostbusters story pack. The only one I can not bring myself to buy is the Adventure Land level pack. Have you played it ? Edited by cjshaitan

I figured there would be a 2+1 action on level packs much sooner than this... Hope there's going to be some christmas sales, there's enough packs I still want.

I just sold the packs I owned, minus the actual minifigs, which now walk in my LEGO street. I don't mind that I won't 100% the game, I care more about having these characters from different franchises all up and about in between other LEGO.

• Like 1

I figured there would be a 2+1 action on level packs much sooner than this... Hope there's going to be some christmas sales, there's enough packs I still want.

I just sold the packs I owned, minus the actual minifigs, which now walk in my LEGO street. I don't mind that I won't 100% the game, I care more about having these characters from different franchises all up and about in between other LEGO.

So true, I think it has gone well past playing the game now for me, it is totally about collecting the figures  :)

This might seem a very stupid question but my googling skills seem to be on the blink so... 'how do level packs actually work?' I always assumed the box for the level packs contained both the minifigs and a DLC code to actually be able to access the content in game, as I've never seen any used Lego Dimensions (either base or extras) in any of the local shops who sell preowned games. You just said you sold the packs on though so now I'm not so sure. Basically I'm wondering if it is actually possible to buy and play used level packs and if so what it is that I need to absolutely make sure is included in order for it to work. The base game finally reached a price I can afford for it, but as you said the extras are still stubbornly full price and without multi but deals.

This might seem a very stupid question but my googling skills seem to be on the blink so... 'how do level packs actually work?' I always assumed the box for the level packs contained both the minifigs and a DLC code to actually be able to access the content in game, as I've never seen any used Lego Dimensions (either base or extras) in any of the local shops who sell preowned games. You just said you sold the packs on though so now I'm not so sure. Basically I'm wondering if it is actually possible to buy and play used level packs and if so what it is that I need to absolutely make sure is included in order for it to work. The base game finally reached a price I can afford for it, but as you said the extras are still stubbornly full price and without multi but deals.

It works like with Disney Infinity and Skylanders, so you plug in a base to your console and it "reads" the characters, which have a bit of electronics in them - the character in the level pack is what unlocks the level in-game.

Only it's LEGO so you can detatch the figures from the figure bases, keep the figures for yourself and sell/trade the bases (or buy bases used if you just want to play the level packs and don't care for physical LEGO) :) the LEGO blocks themselves can't be read so you only ever need the bases for the actual game and there are zero codes in this system.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

New content is added to the game via patch. The stuff you buy are just unlock keys, specifically the discs. The reason I think actual stores, at least where I live, don't sell them used unless they are sealed is because they don't want the hassle of dealing with the bricks. You can buy the discs on eBay though

• Like 1

It works like with Disney Infinity and Skylanders, so you plug in a base to your console and it "reads" the characters, which have a bit of electronics in them - the character in the level pack is what unlocks the level in-game.

New content is added to the game via patch. The stuff you buy are just unlock keys, specifically the discs. 

Thank you both for your replies, I may just be sucked into this now. Bye-bye money...

• Like 1

Thank you both for your replies, I may just be sucked into this now. Bye-bye money...

To be honest it may not be as expensive as you think. It is very easy to keep buying up all the characters but in reality I only use a handful most times I play. Most used for me would be Superman ( or Wicked Witch ) - absolute must for the flying ability although it does make it easier to cheese through levels if you want. Dr Who, as there are a lot of those computer panel mini games and he fixes blue broken Lego. Any other characters have limited use. Besides you can always hire them in level to open anything you need. I am not quite up to speed on the Wave 2 characters yet but many of their abilities incorporate or improve on the older ones so if I was starting out I would look there.

Ironically when I didn't have too many characters it didn't bother me about the locked away content and I just moved on. But when I had most of them I found it very frustrating to come up against an ability I didn't have. ( That's right Unikitty the most useless one ability character I am looking at you )

I think that Lego Dimensions is going to die. It seems to lose Players. This year Amazon Germany throws out the new Level Packs for 17,99, team packs for 14,99 and the newer fun packs for 9.99, you can e.g. get the gollum fun pack for only 6.90. That´s a double Fuck You, because you first had to buy a whole Lord of the Rings-Lego-Pack to get Gollum. Later they sold this figure in a fun pack, and now they give it away in the fun pack for almost nothing (plus a spider figure).

First they sold the Starter pack for 99.-, now they sold it for 39,- and it now has a limited supergirl figure in it, PS3 had little packs with limited green arrow figure.

As I started to buy that packs, I thought they would continue their common Lego pricing politics, not more than about 20% discount on sales and I was happy to buy with that discount. Now I have no big interest to buy new sets for that relatively little money...

Edited by Babsimabuse
  • Like 1

I think that Lego Dimensions is going to die. It seems to lose Players. This year Amazon Germany throws out the new Level Packs for 17,99, team packs for 14,99 and the newer fun packs for 9.99, you can e.g. get the gollum fun pack for only 6.90. That´s a double Fuck You, because you first had to buy a whole Lord of the Rings-Lego-Pack to get Gollum. Later they sold this figure in a fun pack, and now they give it away in the fun pack for almost nothing (plus a spider figure).

First they sold the Starter pack for 99.-, now they sold it for 39,- and it now has a limited supergirl figure in it, PS3 had little packs with limited green arrow figure.

As I started to buy that packs, I thought they would continue their common Lego pricing politics, not more than about 20% discount on sales and I was happy to buy with that discount. Now I have no big interest to buy new sets for that relatively little money...

Not surprising I suppose. Over here the price of the base game has dropped but only by around 20%. There has been almost no price drop in the level packs / team and character packs. However there is no interest in trade ins from the stores. The story packs in Wave 2 seem like a good way to sustain the game for a bit though. 

Dimensions still has several waves coming out, so it'll continue for some months still even if it has lost players. You should be happy Amazon Germany is selling them for so low, that's not the case everywhere else.

When was Gollum ever "only" obtainable in a Lord of the Rings pack? He's been a Fun Pack since wave 1. Are you talking about the regular minifig in one of the Lego Lotr sets?

The starter pack discount is expected at this point already. Even full new games tend to discount themselves a lot nowadays (look at Watch Dogs 2 in the Black Friday sales, for example). The Supergirl figure should be considered a greedy move instead of a bonus - only new purchases of the PS4 Starter Pack come with her in it, so it requires people to buy the set again (unless they use eBay or something) to get her.

• Like 1

Yes, as a regular minifig before the lego Dimensions project, the Lord of the rings minifigs were rare things for collectors, because you had to buy expensive

Lego packs for it.

So Dimensions is "dying" because it offers rare minifigs for a cheap price? Many of these minifigs were exclusive to a bare few sets before, and many did not even exist at all.

You're using flawed logic in your original post. Of course things get cheaper as they have been available for longer. That doesn't mean the game is "dying".

That being said, you're also being very off topic. This thread is for discussing sets you want to buy, not to complain about the game.

I played the Adventure Land level pack. Disappointed in this one. I had played a game called Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations - which was fantastic. Loved it! I had never seen the cartoon series. But the Lego Dim level for this seemed really dumbed down as though it were all of a sudden for children. LOL

I don't put the lego figures together. My skylanders take up a lot of space. I just use the disks in Lego Dimensions and mark on the vehicle disks.

I'm glad a few of you mentioned that you only used the discs. I had never even consider this, it will be much better to leave the lego figures on the shelf and only deal with the discs ...... very practical idea  :)

I'm glad a few of you mentioned that you only used the discs. I had never even consider this, it will be much better to leave the lego figures on the shelf and only deal with the discs ...... very practical idea  :)

Really, after that whole discussion about not needing the minifigs to play? :) Having the minifigs on the discs makes it easier to swap them by the way, in my opinion.

More importantly... WHERE IS KERMIT?!

• Like 1