'The Last of Us 2' could be announced at E3 in June

Yeah but it won't, and if it does I will be seriously suprised. Didn't Naughty Dog basically close down their second team for Uncharted 4 or am I just making up my mind. In any way its to early for them to announce it, one month after their on going games launch. If anything we'll see the Uncharted 4 Single Player DLC. 
We'll see what happens at E3, but I can sure as hell say that Im excited for it. God of War IV, Sony Bend, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last Guardian, Gran Turismo Sport, Dreams, and that's only Sony? Kingdom Hearts 3 is announced to be there, AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH E3 <3

• Like 2

Maybe not, too early for TLOU2. They just finished U4.

These companies start developing games before they even finish their current project.  :P

In this case, they were probably brainstorming some ides and making some models, judging by what has been posted on the internet in the last few years. (i.e articles like: TLoU 2 on ice until U4 comes out, former ND developer posts on LinkedIn he made TLoU2 models, that one Ellie concept art, Nolan North confirms TLoU 2, and so on...)

If there is a sequel (which lets be honest, a game as successful as TLoU is going to have another entry) I really want the game to be about someone other than Joel and Ellie. I feel their story ended perfectly and some references to them in the new game would be great but I'd prefer to play as someone else. Of course if Naughty Dog decide to make Joel and Ellie the main characters again I'm sure they can make it work.

Parker

• Like 3

Meh. The first game was alright enough I guess and the ending was way too inconclusive for there not to be a sequel...

one of the most award-winning games of all time with nearly 250 GOTYs earned is just "alright enough i guess", well everyone has different tastes.

If there is a sequel (which lets be honest, a game as successful as TLoU is going to have another entry) I really want the game to be about someone other than Joel and Ellie. I feel their story ended perfectly and some references to them in the new game would be great but I'd prefer to play as someone else. Of course if Naughty Dog decide to make Joel and Ellie the main characters again I'm sure they can make it work.

Parker

yeah i don't think they would, it would feel too repetitive and didn't the virus spread across the country or worldwide or something like that? it would be a waste of potential storytelling to just keep focusing on the same 2 characters.

a cameo would be nice of course.

Meh I'd rather see a new IP fron ND. Not a fan of either Uncharted or TLoU. 

it would be nice to see a new IP from them, but with a game as groundbreaking as TLOU, being one of the most award-winning ones and a complete success on both sales and critics no one in their right mind would not want to make a sequel about it.

Edited by smellslikejavier

TLoU doesn't need a prequel, sequel, spin-off or tie-in. Everything that needed to be said has been said. But money talks and they're gonna milk the hell out of this "franchise".

i never understood why some people say that, what about the world then? what happened after that? was only joel and ellie story the only important thing about that whole apocalypse? 

one of the most award-winning games of all time with nearly 250 GOTYs earned is just "alright enough i guess", well everyone has different tastes.

Yeah well Justin Bieber has won tons of awards as well. Everyone *definitely* is allowed to have different tastes. Although I'm not giving Bieber "alright enough I guess", I'll give Usher props for his marketing machine though.

Yeah well Justin Bieber has won tons of awards as well. Everyone *definitely* is allowed to have different tastes. Although I'm not giving Bieber "alright enough I guess", I'll give Usher props for his marketing machine though.

games and singers are different things though, funny how every time a comparison like this shows up some one always mentions either justin bieber or lady gaga, totally different entertainment business.

i never understood why some people say that, what about the world then? what happened after that? was only joel and ellie story the only important thing about that whole apocalypse? 

Basically, yes. The infection (and the cure) was only a plot device, a backdrop. It's a story about a father (who incidentally doesn't give a damn about the world,) a daughter and their literal and figurative journey. That's it. What happened after that is unimportant, at least to me.

The best stories leave things open to the imagination and that's exactly what TLoU did. And I'm afraid they're gonna mess it up.

• Like 2

Lets not forget The Last Of Us' announcement trailer debuted Dec 2011, one month after Uncharted 3 had released. It's possible, now that Naughty Dog have 2 teams working on different games, but I have some concerns.

Team 1: Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley helmed development of The Last of Us after Uncharted 2 in 2009. It had a 3 year development cycle, and a original release date of May 2013 (pre-delay to June).

Team 2: While Neil and Bruce were working on TLOU, a separate team developed Uncharted 3, which released 2011. I'm filling in a few blanks myself here, so take what I type with a grain of salt. I remember reading that Neil and Bruce were brought onto development of U4 (which resulted in some significant story changes iirc). Amy Henig (Director of U3), had left during development of U4, which is why new directors were needed. Assuming all this, I think it's safe to say that only Neil and Bruce jumped from team 1 to team 2, and didn't bring the entire team that had worked on TLOU.

A typical Naughty Dog release pattern (Last gen evidence only, not using dates from PS2-era) is 2 years.

Uncharted - 2007

Uncharted 2 - 2009

Uncharted 3 - 2011

The Last Of Us - 2013

Uncharted 4 - 2016 (Originally 2015)

So in conclusion, if the team behind The Last of Us has been working on a sequel since 2013 (or 2014 if they were involved in TLOU remastered), there is a possibility they could announce E3 2016, although I wouldn't expect a release until 2017. Neil's quote in the linked article confirms that the Team1/Team2 dynamic in ND still exists today. Hell, I'd say if you look at it from a squinted perspective it is a confirmation that TLOU2 exists and is in development - They wouldn't be prototyping ideas for TLOU2 and then leave their team making an entirely new IP/sequel when they leave for U4.

Edit: Note, this all assumes there is a Team 2 still at ND (I may have misinterpreted the quote), and if Marsipan is correct in saying that the teams were merged with U4 then I don't think we'll see anything until Late 2017 (factor in Uncharted 4 DLC in late 2016 early 2017 and I dont see them having time to get TLOU2 ready for announcement by E3 2017), and even then, it'll probably be a CG trailer, we may not even see a release until the speculated end of the PS4's lifecycle in 2019. That option is depressing as shit so cross your fingers for option 1.

TL:DR: Could be I guess

Edited by Saltyie
  • Like 3

Basically, yes. The infection (and the cure) was only a plot device, a backdrop. It's a story about a father (who incidentally doesn't give a damn about the world,) a daughter and their literal and figurative journey. That's it. What happened after that is unimportant, at least to me.

The best stories leave things open to the imagination and that's exactly what TLoU did. And I'm afraid they're gonna mess it up.

i don't know, i mean i totally respect if you see it that way but for me that's just one of the multiple ways that they decided to handle the story in the cliché zombie-apocalypse setting, they could have done it about 2 brothers trying to survive, a boy or girl and his/her dog, a disabled guy and his gilfriend, etc... because in the end the game is called "the last of us" not "a father and daughter and their literal figurative jorney: the videogame" so i think any of that could have been applied, and i would love it if they used some similar concept like the ones i mentioned for this sequel.

i trust naughty dog, i don't know about their previous games but since uncharted all of their games obtained more than 90+ of score on metacritic (something that not many companies can accomplish, some examples of companies who also did it are from software and rockstar), so i think they can manage to make a similar good experience, if it lives up to the original or not that depends on everyone's points of view.

games and singers are different things though, funny how every time a comparison like this shows up some one always mentions either justin bieber or lady gaga, totally different entertainment business.

Not that different. A bunch of individuals nominate and vote on something they find entertaining.

Entertainment is subjective, no matter the medium. You happen to get defensive if someone doesn't like The Last of Us, but seems like you're taking it personally. It's apparent, but it's not going to change the opinion of the person who just didn't find the same value in their experience as you did. It's okay. Not everyone has to.

i trust naughty dog, i don't know about their previous games but since uncharted all of their games obtained more than 90+ of score on metacritic (something that not many companies can accomplish, some examples of companies who also did it are from software and rockstar), so i think they can manage to make a similar good experience, if it lives up to the original or not that depends on everyone's points of view.

Whatever they decide to do, it'll probably end up being a "good game". My point is simply that not all stories need a continuation. At the end of The Lord of the Rings Frodo leaves for the undying lands (spoiler alert). Do we really need/want to know what he did there and what it was like?

I understand that the videogame industry is primarily profit-oriented, but it would be nice to see a AAA developer choose artistic integrity over profit for once and simply move on to something new, instead of taking the easier way out and creating another "product" on demand.

• Like 3

Not that different. A bunch of individuals nominate and vote on something they find entertaining.

Entertainment is subjective, no matter the medium. You happen to get defensive if someone doesn't like The Last of Us, but seems like you're taking it personally. It's apparent, but it's not going to change the opinion of the person who just didn't find the same value in their experience as you did. It's okay. Not everyone has to.

justin bieber wasn't reviewed for its graphics, soundtrack, motion capture, bugs/glitches, gameplay or story, just for its voice and the structure of its songs, so one of them has it harder to win more awards.

i'm not getting defensive, just stating some facts, and i'm not comparing the value i found on it, just the value that professionals that gave their high scores and awards gave to it.

Whatever they decide to do, it'll probably end up being a "good game". My point is simply that not all stories need a continuation. At the end of The Lord of the Rings Frodo leaves for the undying lands (spoiler alert). Do we really need/want to know what he did there and what it was like?

I understand that the videogame industry is primarily profit-oriented, but it would be nice to see a AAA developer choose artistic integrity over profit for once and simply move on to something new, instead of taking the easier way out and creating another "product" on demand.

i understand, but each developer studio has people working on it, and those people are working to maintain its family with money, they don't care about artistic integrity, and that developer studio also needs money to pay each one of those hundreds of workers, so of course everyone is going to go for the route that gives them more money and not risk having a failure on sales or achieving less sales if a new IP ends up not being as profitable as their previous game, and that means making a sequel of a very popular game. there's a reason why there are thousands of GTAs and CODs just to give some examples. at least naughty dog decided to make uncharted 4 its final uncharted game and move on with some other new IP and/or TLOU's sequel.

as for the frodo thing i was talking about new characters in that whole apocalyptic world, of course i don't want to play as ellie and joel again, although maybe some cameo or reference about them would be nice.

Edited by smellslikejavier