Why all the hate, people?

Srsly, like why all the hate? It's  good game man. Yeah, you heard me. It's one of the two games I've had the most fun platinuming. And yeah, I'm a fan of the series, what's up with the hate?

I've heard so many silly complaints, like about Dante's hair or both brothers' personalities. Well it's a reboot, it's suppose to be different.And Dante's hair and personality fix themselves by the end of the game anyways, ofc there's going to be some character growth through his journey. this is an origin story. And Virgil becomes more like what he was in the originals during the events of his downfall, where he overcomes his inner demons and becomes this power-hungry monster that he is.

One thing that I do agree with however is that people don't like the fact that he's no longer part-human. Even though he has Kat to ground him I do agree that heritage is a stronger connection, when his mother is a human. But hey, at least we get some coo weapons from it.

Do I think this game should have had a couple name-changes and be called something else? Absolutely. Do I think it should be hated simply for baring the name of its predecessors? Fuck no, man. This game brings a lot of interesting stuff tot he table, including the subliminal messages and demon overlords inspired from the awesome movie "They Live" and the idea of the city of Limbo, the very city you fight in, is trying to kill you kind of like white blood cells attacking an intruder. I found this idea of the living enviroment being as much of an enemy as the demons themselves a very cool aspect of the game's lore.

So go on, what do you think?

• Like 3

My complaint was the game was too easy compared to the rest of the series.

I understand the story is a reboot and is not connected to the rest of the series at all.  Kat is maybe one of the weaker girls he's had though.  Prefer Trish or Lady.

game looks very nice. But ugly Dante and easy combat so 1/10.

I have never played a dmc before this one and I felt in love with this one. To the point that I probably will get disapointed if I played an older dmc, because it's different

People dont like changes so much jk.

Edited by MvP-BumperKlever

I have yet to trully play it all the way thru but found it fun. I just need to put some time away for it. I think people hate it because they gave gotten used to the matured Dante and playing as a brat kid again just kills them. And plus having hot sidekicks like Trish or Lady would always win over Kat anyday. I mean who doesn't like those damn apples.

My main complaint are Dante's new personality & how easy the game is. Overall it's a good game but looking at the series, it didn't need a reboot.

I'm just hoping the new project Hideaki Itsuno is working on is a DMC5, even if it's another prequel i wouldn't mind, and i don't think anyone cares that the series never got a real sequel like DMC2. (because every game after that was a prequel)

My main complaint are Dante's new personality & how easy the game is. Overall it's a good game but looking at the series, it didn't need a reboot.

I'm just hoping the new project Hideaki Itsuno is working on is a DMC5, even if it's another prequel i wouldn't mind, and i don't think anyone cares that the series never got a real sequel like DMC2. (because every game after that was a prequel)

DMC3 > DMC1 > DMC4 > DMC2

The series is all over the place, but I would consider DMC4 a sequel as well.

I wouldn't mind it if it was DMC5 he was working on.

As far as I know, Capcom don't want Ninja Theory to even touch the series again.

Edited by DEMON

The gameplay was decent as far as it goes, albeit the whole thing could be considered a beginners DMC game. But my problems stem from how poorly the characters were handled, and how Ninja Theories main developer handled the criticism. Reboot or not, DmC Dante and Vergil just felt like "edgier and darker" versions just for the sake of it, all the while the creator (Tameem) kept trying to point out how better his Dante was compared to the original. The whole hair argument was usually just a way to deflect the actual criticism, and even then it's kind of justified because the devs kept poking fun at the fans with that "Not in a million years" scene. Even if his hair were white through the whole game, it wouldn't change his dark and edgy personality that was the main problem people had. What made original Dante cool was he smartmouthed demons bigger than him, and he didn't really take everything so seriously. DmC Dante had some of that, but was more "mature" (I say loosely) with using cuss words and being a dick to everyone. If anything, DmC Dante and Vergil should be a lesson that darker and edgier doesn't always mean cool and better.

As far as the story, while there was more story explained compared to the originals, when you start to think about the story you slowly realize that it makes less sense when they talk about it. One could argue that the originals had no story or made no sense (with the exception of DMC3), but the originals didn't take themselves seriously and they know it, but that's what made them fun. So in short, while the gameplay in the reboot is fine despite being easy compared to the others, it takes itself too seriously and Tameem wants you to think darker and edgier is better, but that clearly isn't the case. I mean if you liked it that's fine, but I often see people misunderstanding the hate for it with "Dante's hair isn't white" which is just an excuse from both the devs and the hardcore defenders of the reboot when the main problem is they turned a fun character into an angsty mess that no one asked for.

• Like 2

Just looks-wise, the main character looked like one of those douchy Twilight ♥s. Just the main character's look would have turned me off to the game if I was remotely interested in it, which I wasn't.

This is from the view-point of somebody who never played the previous iterations. So, no biased based there.

So yes, I can understand the hate from the view of somebody who loved the previous installments.

I have played 1-3 but im not all the way done with 3 yet but the series compared to the reboot yes they are different but they are still fun games i think what pissed people about the game was white haired Dante was not in the game but only as a skin that you had to pay for.

played the whole series since its release on ps2 back in the day and enjoyed going through them just as much again on ps3 with all the added trophies as a bonus...as for dmc, i liked it too...good game, good graphics...if you consider that it's not meant to be part of the series, even better...

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, this was a very good game, 9/10 in my opinion. I played all DMC games on ps2 as well, I heard some nonsense that people didnt liked Dante hair or that he is now child of a demon and angel instead of human and demon. Honestly I dont pay any attention to silly comments like this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have loved the DMC series ever since the very first one way back in the PS2 glory days - the new Dmc gets alot of unjustified hate - yes the new Dante and Virgil are not as good as the originals but the game and story are great

I'm glad Ninja Theory cut out the chain smoking of the new Dante before release

• 4 weeks later...

Nah I personally hate him because he has the attitude of a 17 year old douchebag you see hanging around convenience stores looking to pugnaciously pick a fight with anyone who walks past. To me he essentially is just CoD Kiddies: The Character. I think a lot of what rubbed people the wrong way was the open contempt toward older fans of the series, a sentiment which was shared by a lot of  reviewers and writers at the time. Just look at a lot of articles from around about the time it came out condemning the fans for not taking to it and ignoring why they were criticising it and calling them shit like crybaby manchildren and so forth, not to mention the extremely heavy handed way the game handles satire. 

So yeah, the PR was incredibly piss poor. 

- New Dante is the edgy little shit, new Vergil is a little bitch, both have stupid faces

- New Mundus is generic af, Kat is a weak character, all the bosses are generic too

- Stupid mechanics based on weapon color EVERY time

Those are my main complaints, it's playable, but shouldn't be a reboot, it should be another game with completely different name.

Edited by Pavani_
  • Like 1

it should be another game with completely different name.

I have this really convoluted theory that both games can exist in the same universe and at some point both Dantes can meet and.....well....that only makes sense in my head and won't ever happen xD

I think is pretty obvious that this series is dead. DMC5 might come before DmC2.