Worth a buy?

I enjoyed this game much, much more than Ascension. If you're a fan of hack and slash games then you should pick this up because I think it is one of the best and at that price you really can't go wrong. Have you played the first two games in the series? 

Parker

I haven't tried the others, just the start of Ascension. I enjoyed the opening of the DmC remaster but traded that in towards something else I was looking forward to at the time. The only reason why I'm a bit hesitant is disliking Ascension and being overwhelmed by my ever increasing backlog of games. I didn't actually consider purchasing this until now and that's down to the price. I much prefer Greek mythology over Norse which God of War 4 is rumoured to be

Personally I don't think starting with the third game in the series is smart. If you have a PS3 I'd buy the GoW Collection and play those and if you enjoy them then pick up the third game. The story isn't really a huge deal in the GoW franchise but you will definitely be missing out on a lot of why Kratos is doing what he is doing. 

Parker

• Like 3

I agree with Parker, play the first two games before the third. I've platted all of them on PS3 and was really into them.

The first three do unfold a story so if you want to experience that story the right way it's best to play them in order.

• Like 1

Personally I don't think starting with the third game in the series is smart. If you have a PS3 I'd buy the GoW Collection and play those and if you enjoy them then pick up the third game. The story isn't really a huge deal in the GoW franchise but you will definitely be missing out on a lot of why Kratos is doing what he is doing. 

Parker

Or just watch a YouTube video about how GOW 1 and 2 played out to bring you up to speed. While not as fun as playing those two games, I think that GOW 3 was the best of the series by far, so I definitely recommend it.

• Like 1

Yeah man, get the GOW collection and then go for 3. It will make it way better to see the continuous story. You should play them in chronological order since you have already done Ascension. The PSP games hold up very well through the remaster process. I played all of Chains of Olympus and got the platinum in 3D on my TV. Here is a link to the timeline

Edited by skateak

Or just watch a YouTube video about how GOW 1 and 2 played out to bring you up to speed. While not as fun as playing those two games, I think that GOW 3 was the best of the series by far, so I definitely recommend it.

After reading about the trophy glitches in these two I think this is the way to go. Less time consuming too

Yeah man, get the GOW collection and then go for 3. It will make it way better to see the continuous story. You should play them in chronological order since you have already done Ascension. The PSP games hold up very well through the remaster process. I played all of Chains of Olympus and got the platinum in 3D on my TV. Here is a link to the timeline

I only tried the beginning of Ascension and didn't enjoy it. I have no interest in delving into the PSP games or doing the entire franchise, sadly I don't have as much game time as I used to so I'd never get through them all. I think with the trophy glitch problems Jeschmit's idea would be less stressful and less time consuming. Thank you all for your opinions :)

After reading about the trophy glitches in these two I think this is the way to go. Less time consuming too

As far as i know only the Vita version has trophy glitches, and playing online or closing the app (or even pressing the PS button) seems to trigger it. I had no problems because i played both games (on the Vita) in one run without closing the app or pressing the PS button so nothing glitched on me. The PS3 version has no glitches from what i've seen, so you should play that version!

Honestly, only the main three are worth playing when you look at the series as a whole, while the PSP games are good at expanding the story, and Ascension is well... Ascension... everyone knows they only had plans for GOW1, then, since it was a huge hit, they decided to make it a trilogy. (because GOW2 makes it obvious there'd be another sequel)

I definitely recommend playing the 1st two on the PS3 because these games are really good, and in a way they are the "The Last of Us" in the hack n' slash genre. They did not age at all and it doesn't feel "weird" or "clunky" to play them, even to this day. You should definitely grab all three and play them slowly, leave it in the backlog for a while depending on what games come out (Uncharted 4? :P), then come back to it later on.  :)

Also, Ghost of Sparda is free for PS+ this month (the PSP game on the Vita, so no trophy list), that means you can try this one for free!  :P

Well bro, it depends. Are you a story guy? or a gameplay guy? The story is pretty cool if you're into greek mythology (which i am) but if you're not then it's just okay; but the gameplay is very enticing and just plain fun (not so much ascension) And if you are a trophy hunter then you'll have a blast playing and getting the platinum for the 1st two GoW games which are 10 hours each if i'm not mistaken. If you only want to play GoW 3 then go right ahead as its the best in the series but try to watch some story videos on youtube or read about them on Wiki.

Again, if you are a trophy hunter buy the GoW collection on PS3 and enjoy getting the trophies and the platinum. If not just play the 3rd one (the remaster is gorgeous).

Sadly my 64GB Vita memory card has given up and the Vita no longer recognises it's existence. Tested with the Mrs' Vita and her 64GB card so luckily I know it's not the Vita. Waiting on a 32GB arriving in the post but may give the original two a try on there as I prefer to have that for when I can't get access to the PS4 or TV.

Pretty bad timing for it to pack in too because I was about to download these and Severed to play on the train. Think I will be getting GoW3 for the ever increasing backlog. Uncharted 4 definitely takes priority, that is until No Man's Sky.