Just a great fishing game!

Wade_VC

Overall I think this is a great game!

rapala-pro-bass-fishing-2010-screenshot-1.jpg

The graphics are decent enough and what it lacks in graphics it makes up for in the game play. I got the bundle, so I am using the fishing rod controller, which adds a fun and more authentic feel to the game. The Fishing Rod controller is a wireless unit that communicates with the PS3 console via a small USB flash communicator (included)...simply plug it into a USB slot where your standard controller would plug in and the whole system is ready to go.

Rapala_PBF_Fishing_Rod_Xbox360_1.jpg

The Fishing Rod can then be used as your primary controller as it has all the buttons and a joystick. It does take a little bit to get used to the configuration, but it is set up in such a way that all buttons/D-pad/Joystick are easily accessible.

Naturally you use the rod to cast your lure of choice after selecting it from the tacklebox...and the "action" of the rod is quite realistic in its handling.

(I have to note, however, driving the boat with the Rod/controller takes a knack and some getting used to)

I was able to hook into a few good sized fish my first time playing, and this is where the game gets really good. You can feel the action of the rod as you are fighting the fish and reeling it in, and some of the fights take some time. I have to say that my dang arms were tired after 30 mins of game play as when you hook a large fish, it does fight and makes you work to get in near the boat to land it.

If needed, there is a "Pro coach" function you can enable to help you properly fight the fish, set the drag, etc.

rapalapost5307142010.jpg

The selection of lures is exceptional, containing just about every known lure from the Rapala catalog, in every finish you could think of. You unlock more lures as you progress through the game. You select the lure, the finish, and the color to match the type of fish and the weather conditions and the type of habitat you are fishing.

There are several gaming modes to choose from: Single player free fishing, Tournament, two-player and a few others.

Overall, I am quite happy with this game, and the addition of the Fishing Rod peripheral is a great added touch. However, you can also use the PS3 controller on its own or it is also compatible with the MOVE controller as well.

If you are a fan of fishing games, you will really enjoy this game!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have been considering picking this game up for a while now and you may have just convinced me to do so. Thanks for the input

Yeah, if you are looking for a good fishing game, this is the one to get. One of the very best fishing games I have ever played, hands down.

If you pick it up, let me know what you think of it!

• 3 weeks later...

I always really enjoyed Sega Bass Fishing for the Dreamcast (with the awesome fishing rod controller as well) so I may pick this game up for a bit of fun as well. I enjoy fishing in real life but I don't have time to fish as often as I'd like, unfortunately.

Parker

I enjoy fishing in real life but I don't have time to fish as often as I'd like, unfortunately.

Same here Parker....and this game is a nice way to toss a few lures at ol' "Mossy Mouth" (and other gamefish as well) from the comfort of the living room for those like us who don't have the time to hit the lakes and stock ponds in real life.

I have to say, the action of the lures in this game is just astonishing. The broken-back Rapala is freaky realistic as is the Rat-L-Trap.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, if you are looking for a good fishing game, this is the one to get. One of the very best fishing games I have ever played, hands down.

If you pick it up, let me know what you think of it!

Wow, this may be the most time between a post and a quote, haha... sorry for the massive delay here.

So I did pick up the game and got the Platinum. This was a great game! The graphics were much better than I was expecting (screenshots don't do it justice). The detail on each of the lakes was crazy! Although there was a fair amount of "grinding" going for all the Lake Challenges this was a fun play, haha. I actually wrote the Trophy Guide on ps3t.com for it as well ... check it out and let me know your thoughts, if you don't mind.

Thanks for the recommendation!