Is Boosting Cheating? (Platinums)

V--SoulReaper--V

As far as multiplayer trophies go, I do not think boosting is cheating. They are usually very tedious in the fact that they usually require long amounts of time to complete, very specific tasks to perform (most revolving around a small window of opportunity), or a combination of both. These I don't have a problem with since many people aren't great at multiplayer but still want to complete the game.

Edited by BlueDragonRR

Depends on the game itself. If its a fighting game with two players then that may count because its just you and ur parnter. For a FPS game its different. You cant boost while being other players who arent going for plats. HOWEVER if its dead lobby with a few to none players then yeah because its the only way to get those trophies you require. Same goes with other games as well..

• Like 1

Nah, you're still playing the game without anything hacked.

Edit:

Neither duplicating items and using exploits is, objectively speaking, cheating to a certain extent. This is because it is something that is still inside the gaming code somehow. It's the devs fault the exploit exists in the first place, not yours.

On a subjective manner, it depends on your point of view.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 3

Thanks guys for feedback, what about making gaming sessions. Having a buddy helping you get a trophy. That kind of thing. I know for a fact duplicating items, and exploits. Is cheating. 

Exploiting item duplication glitches is even part of some trophy guides. I wouldn't consider it cheating if it's possible to do without modifiying/hacking game files.

• Like 2

Technically it is cheating because you're asking someone else to provide you a perfect situation in which to get a trophy in what is usually a competitive environment. It's like asking a boxer to take a dive in a match for some quid pro quo, and that's definitely regulated as cheating in the boxing world. It's cheating that we've all agreed to look the other way on because we all do it and it makes everyone's life easier. Sort of how everyone is against illegal immigration, but only if stopping it means you still have a large workforce willing to do the worst jobs at less than minimum wage.

Technically it is cheating because you're asking someone else to provide you a perfect situation in which to get a trophy in what is usually a competitive environment. It's like asking a boxer to take a dive in a match for some quid pro quo, and that's definitely regulated as cheating in the boxing world. It's cheating that we've all agreed to look the other way on because we all do it and it makes everyone's life easier. Sort of how everyone is against illegal immigration, but only if stopping it means you still have a large workforce willing to do the worst jobs at less than minimum wage.

Is it cheating if the lobby is dead and the only way is to boost it? This is why online trophies should be abolished. They wont but they should. That's what leaderboards are for. I don't understand why they don't just abolish them. The COD fanboy types wont care. They don't care about trophies anyway.

Im not the biggest fan of cheating. Im just wondering if this would consider cheating.

No its not. Boosting for leaderboard stats is but not for a trophy. Sometimes a game's online is dead and how else are you suppose to earn the trophy? Its not your fault that the developer required some bs online trophies for a platinum.

• Like 2

And what do you make of those who suck at Minecraft and go into sessions with people who share their worlds with them and they pretty well instantly pop a plat?

Because I love dicking around in Minecraft but on my own I'd be lucky to get even half the trophies in that game, and I have no shame.

Is it cheating if the lobby is dead and the only way is to boost it? This is why online trophies should be abolished. They wont but they should. That's what leaderboards are for. I don't understand why they don't just abolish them. The COD fanboy types wont care. They don't care about trophies anyway.

Yes, it's absolutely still cheating if the lobby is dead and it's the only way to boost it. Nobody's forced you to play a game that's dead. And it's still cheating to forcibly create a non-competitive ideal situation to obtain a trophy in an otherwise competitive arena, because you're not doing it under the developer's established rules. You're all asking the wrong question. It's cheating and quite firmly established so. What you're actually meaning to ask is if it is wrong to cheat in this particular case because of the conditions under which you're asked to achievement it. And the answer is that we've all decided under tacit consensus, through our own acceptance of it, the existence of boosting websites supporting it, and developers lax enforcement of their own rules (with several notable exceptions), that it's okay to exploit the situation for our own gain.

If it's a duck, call it a duck. It's cheating, and it's okay to do it because we've decided it is. The world's not black and white, good and evil, and depending on what games you've played in the last few years, you've should've been taught this already. This is what's known as a moral grey area.

Edited by damon8r351

It's not playing the game the way it was "meant to be played". In most competitive games or sports, colluding with others would be viewed as cheating, as damon points out. 

But, equally, as long as you're only boosting with other players who are happy to boost with you and what you do doesn't have an effect on competitive players, I couldn't care less about it. You paid for the game, if you want to play the MP in what is probably the most boring way possible, that's up to you. 

Where I think boosting becomes an issue is when it bleeds over into competitive play, where your actions may have given you an unfair advantage. (E.g. you boosted a load of XP in CoD to unlock the best weapons or kill-streaks or something, then return to the competitive game with your ill-gotten arsenal.)

Although, having said that, you may not be as skilled in the competitive environment as the players who haven't boosted and have had to improve at the game, so any gain you hoped to achieve may be wiped out. Whether or not that's true would be interesting to find out... I wonder if publishers or devs ever share their player data for scientific purposes...

In other games, e.g. Overwatch, where the unlocks are purely cosmetic, any boosting is unlikely to have an effect on the game for other players. 

Anyway, went on a tangent there. What I'm trying to say is:

Yes, boosting is cheating in a strictly "legalistic" sense. But whether that's "wrong" in a moral sense will, for me, depend on whether the boosting impacts on either (1) players who do not want to boost with you during the session, or (2) if your boosting gives you an unfair advantage in competitive play against players who have not boosted. 

You're all asking the wrong question. It's cheating and quite firmly established so. What you're actually meaning to ask is if it is wrong to cheat in this particular case

No, people are asking what they are meaning to ask, which is why they are asking it.

They might not be asking the same question as you, but this does not make them/us wrong.

You keep persisting with the 'I am right and you are wrong' attitude and it is extremely patronising.

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 3

If its a dead or almost dead lobby no i wouldn't consider it cheating. Its the only way afterall, how else you gonna do it.

If the trophy is easily acquirable and has full lobbies they yes i'd say its cheating. For example i boosted some (not all) XP for Battlefield 3 and immediately regret it (bugs me to this day). If i could go back and do that legit i definitely would. So yeah thats the only time i felt i cheated. Other than that instance if it is possible for me to do legit i will.