Is Boosting Cheating? (Platinums)

V--SoulReaper--V

I would go as far as it is 'bending the rules' but i think 'cheating' is too strong of a word to describe boosting.

At the end of the day if someone is getting 100 headshots in a boosting session then they have still had to get those 100 head shots, what's the difference if you was playing in a legitimate game and saw someone AFK... is killing that person cheating too?

For me the word cheat is massively over used and should be reserved for people who use hacks, or use game saves etc etc.

IMO, as long as you're utilizing something in the game itself, then you aren't doing anything wrong.  That includes boosting, and extends to glitches or exploits.  If the extent of your trophy earning stretches as far as your console, your controller, your game and maybe your friends (if it's multiplayer)... you're good.  Start introducing USB sticks and game saves and editors and whatnot... and then you've ventured into troubled waters.

Though it's hard to disagree with damon before that you're kind of like a boxer "taking a dive"... going against the spirit of a game/mode to create an unrealistic "winning" environment in which to achieve things that you may not have been able to otherwise.  Up to you to decide if that "spirit" is worth upholding, if there's any spirit left to be upheld (dead MP population, poor netcode, impending servers going down, etc).

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

IMO, as long as you're utilizing something in the game itself, then you aren't doing anything wrong.  That includes boosting, and extends to glitches or exploits.  If the extent of your trophy earning stretches as far as your console, your controller, your game and maybe your friends (if it's multiplayer)... you're good.  Start introducing USB sticks and game saves and editors and whatnot... and then you've ventured into troubled waters.

Though it's hard to disagree with damon before that you're kind of like a boxer "taking a dive"... going against the spirit of a game/mode to create an unrealistic "winning" environment in which to achieve things that you may not have been able to otherwise.  Up to you to decide if that "spirit" is worth upholding, if there's any spirit left to be upheld (dead MP population, poor netcode, impending servers going down, etc).

When it comes to using USB sticks and your own game saves, I think it's still ok. There are some games that can corrupt them after all.

I would have agreed with Damon if we were 10-12 years back in the day, no insult intended. In the past, you had all the time of the world to get stuff done in many MPs, today there are just so many it's ridiculous, and many don't last at all. Not to mention that many of these are mediocre.

I feel that it is generally not the place of games or game creators to police what you do through/around the game.

If I am talking to my buddy and we agree to find each other on the battlefield and both let the other get a hard trophy, that is none of the game's business. We didn't hack the game or tamper with its code; it's not the place of the game or its manufacturer to tell us we can't have that conversation. We're free to say "Hey, let's boost this," or "Gimme your best shot." It's our choice to make.

Now if things turn toxic and like leaderboards are being ruined by some clan's alts throwing matches to its main accounts all the time, people are putting a spy on the other team, that kind of stuff, I can see how it is reasonable to stop that. Or if the game makers want to have a "serious business" mode for ranked play or whatever, e-sports stuff, that's fine.

But in general, for 99.99% of normal play, the game does not need to be policing the conversations/agreements that go on around it.

If it's possible within the contexts of the game's structure, then technically it's not cheating. And it's something I can definitely tolerate. Personally, however, I don't like the concept of "boosting".

I would make an exception for something that seems like an actual grind which is meant to be a coordinated effort anyway- for example, say you have a game with a trophy of "do 1000 tag-team attacks" or something like that, it seems natural to cooperatively grind that trophy, as that was always intended to be a cooperative effort. Likewise, I'm all for setting up matches with the intention of earning competitive trophies... as long as everyone involved puts forth their best effort.

But in the context of deliberately giving up to help others achieve those competitive goals, such as "Win 100 online matches"? That doesn't feel right, at least not to me. This ties in largely to my personal trophy hunting philosophy, in that I take pride in my trophies as my achievements, my victories; and the trophies I DON'T have are proof of where I still have room to accomplish more. I interpret a trophy as a medal of honor, in a sense. And I don't see the honor in agreeing to have matches thrown in my favor repeatedly just to get that medal. It just invalidates the purpose of trophy hunting, in my opinion.

There is a recent topic up with the "Pay it Forward" trophy for Darksiders 2. The server is down or something for months now and hasnt been fixed. This illustrates why online trophies suck and the need to boost. Why should any trophy hunter be barred from earning a trophy due to the ineptness of the developer? Or like the Crysis 2 and Portal 2 servers that were down for over a year? So yeah I will boost whenever I can. No shame in it and no its not cheating.

I wouldn't say so. So long as you are not affecting other players who really cares.

But then I'm a trophy slut so I would say that.

However saying that, personally if the servers are still active I don't tend to boost- if I can help it. It's usefull for games that are not active though. Bling brigade would be nigh on impossible now to randomly get. Even the DC bikes record a top 3 finish I had to boost. I tried random games for a couple of weeks but could never get a full lobby. I don't really play many online games though so I don't often come across it as a issue anyway.

Edited by VitalFury

This is kind of a grey area honestly. In my opinion? No, it's not cheating as long as it isn't affecting anyone else. Sure it might not be earning them truly legit...but honestly a lot of people don't have time to try and earn them all based on time and luck. 

As for whether you think it's cheating...well that's subjective to what you feel is acceptable. But most trophy hunters have probably boosted at least once.

In my opinion who cares, I'd rather go back to the action replay / gameshark days when you could mess with everything. I spend allot of time with online gaming, boosting isn't cheating, a shortcut doesn't really mean a cheat.

I'm not trying to start anything here, but do remember that boosting relies on manipulation. If you go into a game with the intentions of manipulating it, that's cheating. If you get your friend to stand there and lose so you can gain wins, that's manipulation. Think about it, you wouldn't want someone to manipulate you, why do you think it's okay to do it to a server?

Regardless, I still think boosting is needed.

Might as well say using a guide is "cheating".

Guides would be counted as instructions as one would still have to do everything the guide said by themselves.

Guides would be counted as instructions as one would still have to do everything the guide said by themselves.

But is getting every instruction handed to you cheating? Solutions to problems in the game solved for you. Secrets exposed. Really, if you get enough instructions, are you just performing instructions or playing the game? If you are given the solution to a problem, then what do you call that?

• Like 1

I'm not trying to start anything here, but do remember that boosting relies on manipulation. If you go into a game with the intentions of manipulating it, that's cheating. If you get your friend to stand there and lose so you can gain wins, that's manipulation. Think about it, you wouldn't want someone to manipulate you, why do you think it's okay to do it to a server?

Regardless, I still think boosting is needed.

Why is it ok to depend on a server for trophies?

But is getting every instruction handed to you cheating? Solutions to problems in the game solved for you. Secrets exposed. Really, if you get enough instructions, are you just performing instructions or playing the game? If you are given the solution to a problem, then what do you call that?

Exactly. Its like being given the answers to a test but you still have to write them down. Not trying to say using guides is bad. Just saying if you are going to call boosting "cheating", so is using a guide.

So this week has been Double XP on Black Ops 3 only if you play as a team with someone else. That's double boosting, 2 players or more, all with mics, all getting double XP officially. I call cheaters! Oh, but it's official? and won't get you banned? So it's not like modding at all I guess which will get you banned just like cheating. Yes blops 3 has online trophies.

I don't think it's cheating at all for trophy perspective. If you need help on something you can't unlock an online trophy to yourself after trying a few times, then that is consider not cheating unless if it is done a diffrent way with no effort what so ever.

Nah, nor is using guides. The only people that say this are just trying to make themselves feel like special snowflakes for doing it the hard way. xD

Or trying to joke around where I remember my parents used to make fun of me (sarcastically) that I think I'm looking at cheat codes where I was stuck at a part if the game, and that used to annoy me saying I ain't cheating. Usually after that it wasn't serious that I got my part on what I needed for it.

Edited by Superstarmaste1r

Boosting considered cheating? Trophy wise, it really doesn't matter. If the servers are dead and you need to boost, so be it. I've done it and so have other people.

It's the people who are like "lolol you boosted? I did it legit". I've seen people who actually call boosting cheating.  :facepalm: If the multiplayer is really active, I don't really bother. There's also boosting to improve your K/D in shooters and all that but that's a different story lol.

Imo no, boosting online trophies is not cheating. Why torture yourself with a MP mode that you might despise when you can gather up some buddies to help you wrap them up? Or it might be an online mode thats pretty much close to being a ghost town, would you be willing to let such a trivial matter stop you in getting those MP trophies? Hell no.

But if you keep boosting just to rank up on the leaderboards (not trophy related) then thats a different matter and a discussion for another day.

• Like 2

I have the right to play the game as I see fit, so long as it does not violate a previously contracted term of service. Citing other sports is irrelevant, because such collusion is strictly forbidden. That isn't the case for the vast majority of video games (though exceprions exist).

Long story longer, in a vacuum, of course boosting is not cheating.

Edited by starcrunch061