Is Boosting Cheating? (Platinums)

V--SoulReaper--V

If the game allows it, it's not cheating imo.

I remember the days of gameshark, THAT I definitely considering cheating.

There really is a fine line between cheating and not cheating on some games though, some multiplayer games where you're invincible because your knowingly manipulating your bandwidth comes to mind

I cheat all the time!! Exploiting ways to go the easy route in getting trophies not the way it should be earned. Anyway that is not the developers working as intended way is cheating to me. Like boosting. But who cares... Bite me...

Nothing is cheating if it is allowed by rules, in game mechanics or even leftover bugs.

If the developers think that certain actions should not be allowed, they can then patch it out. If they don't, it's all fair.

In my book you start cheating when you install third party software, or use other people unlocked saves.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎09 at 11:36 PM, V--SoulReaper--V said:

Im not the biggest fan of cheating. Im just wondering if this would consider cheating.

Hello V--SoulReaper--V, Multiplayer trophy Boosting usually requires wins, kills etc for the trophies. Knowing that MP trophy boosting is defined as "match fixing and colluding", this is without a doubt cheating. Instead of playing the game legitimately to earn the trophies, Cheating Fraud Community(C.F.C.) multiplayer trophy boosters fix the match to ensure their opponents let them win or let them kill them. Pretty clear cut cheating of the trophy system. Trophy boosting requires no skill and merits no respect or recognition. 

P.S. Obviously leaderboard "boosting" is also cheating as people match fix and collude to boost their kill death ratio or wins etc...

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎10 at 0:42 AM, V--SoulReaper--V said:

Thanks guys for feedback, what about making gaming sessions. Having a buddy helping you get a trophy. That kind of thing. I know for a fact duplicating items, and exploits. Is cheating. 

In this instance that would not be cheating. You are in a co op lobby and your team mate is simply sharing their items with you, this is factually not boosting and clearly not cheating. 

P.S. Co op play is never boosting. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Papidadi said:

Hello V--SoulReaper--V, Multiplayer trophy Boosting usually requires wins, kills etc for the trophies. Knowing that MP trophy boosting is defined as "match fixing and colluding", this is without a doubt cheating. Instead of playing the game legitimately to earn the trophies, Cheating Fraud Community(C.F.C.) multiplayer trophy boosters fix the match to ensure their opponents let them win or let them kill them. Pretty clear cut cheating of the trophy system. Trophy boosting requires no skill and merits no respect or recognition. 

P.S. Obviously leaderboard "boosting" is also cheating as people match fix and collude to boost their kill death ratio or wins etc...

In this instance that would not be cheating. You are in a co op lobby and your team mate is simply sharing their items with you, this is factually not boosting and clearly not cheating. 

P.S. Co op play is never boosting. 

You do realize that you bumped a 2.5 year old thread, with the latest post being 2.5 years ago, and the guy you quoted hasn't logged onto the site in 2.5 years?

Like I said, who gives a shit if someone boosts dead games? (which is a majority of the PS3 games) You act like boosting is done in 1,2,3. Sure, it doesn't require skill. But what about the 4 kills in 2 second ones? That you can get now, or in 1 year, or never if the game is dead? What would you say about that?

Multiplayer trophies are just bad game design overall. The servers can close, the trophies can glitch, and if the game has stats saved to the server, then you're screwed, dumb requirements like 4 kills in 2 second trophies, etc etc. 

You also act like everyone boosts. But when I did battlefield bad company, most people did the kills normally, which is the longest part of the game. People just boosted the awards, and that's it. You'd see way more people playing normally if the game isn't dead, and as long it doesn't have dumb requirements

Leaderboard boosting? lol? What year is this? Modern competitive games have a reporting feature that will remove leaderboard boosters.

Yeah, of course using an invincibility glitch in NGS2 is perfectly fine as long it's "co-op play" but boosting in a dead game, which has no effect on you, is cheating. Lmao

Edited by gfttfgbvghnbg

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎04 at 11:13 AM, FawltyPowers said:

Multiplayer trophies are a waste of time and energy.

If it makes me a cheater not wasting 100's of hours waiting for that exceptional moment where human opponents align themselves for me to earn a particular trophy, then I'll wear my cheating badge with pride.

Hello FawltyPowers, Good to see that not everyone on this website who is a C.F.C. trophy booster is delusional and in denial of their actions and status, pretending they are legitimate gamers. Just wondering however if you say "multiplayer trophies are a waste of time and energy", why would you waste your time and energy C.F.C. trophy boosting?

P.S. You should take pride in your legitimately earned trophies & not in the fact that you have given up on trying to legitimately earn them and have decided to C.F.C. boost. That is sort of the point of the MP trophies, to see what you can legitimately earn as you play the game...

On 10/3/2018 at 1:18 PM, gfttfgbvghnbg said:

You do realize that you bumped a 2.5 year old thread, with the latest post being 2.5 years ago, and the guy you quoted hasn't logged onto the site in 2.5 years?

Not only did he bump the thread pointlessly, but he put the same crap at the end that was derided before.

As an FYI, yes - co-op play can absolutely be called "boosting" (and, in his terminology, "cheating"). 

1 hour ago, Papidadi said:

Hello FawltyPowers, Good to see that not everyone on this website who is a C.F.C. trophy booster is delusional and in denial of their actions and status, pretending they are legitimate gamers. Just wondering however if you say "multiplayer trophies are a waste of time and energy", why would you waste your time and energy C.F.C. trophy boosting?

P.S. You should take pride in your legitimately earned trophies & not in the fact that you have given up on trying to legitimately earn them and have decided to C.F.C. boost. That is sort of the point of the MP trophies, to see what you can legitimately earn as you play the game...

There are a lot of various factors that come into this.

1. If servers never ever closed there's a high chance I wouldn't boost at all. I have been caught out twice. The first time on Ghostbusters, the trophies I have earned were from playing the game normally with random people and then they shut the servers with no warning. That really annoyed me, I FELT CHEATED. On F.E.A.R. 2 I didn't really touch the multiplayer and then just as I was starting to take trophies a bit more seriously I found out I only had a couple of weeks before they closed the servers. I ran out of time getting the platinum. Both those experiences left me extremely wary of multiplayer trophies and my personal opinion is there shouldn't be multiplayer trophies, instead there should be in game achievement points. Isn't that what multiplayer is all about - Leaderboards? Who is the best?

2. I have completed more multiplayer trophies legitimately than not. Doom, The Last of Us, Bioshock 2, Dead Island were done without boosting at all. I don't normally boost unless I have to.

3. I don't have a lot of time, around a couple of hours a day. I don't want to sit in a multiplayer mode I do not like, hoping that someone will join and then try for hours on end to meet the condition of a trophy. It's very RARELY about skill, it's about blind luck.

4. Many trophy conditions are ridiculous and cannot be achieved normally. RDR springs to mind, Uncharted 2 & 3 (certain game modes not touched). On Redout no-one is playing multiplayer AT ALL. I tried many times to do this by searching. In the end I contacted someone to help me get it.

5. Some games are hacked. World at War comes to mind, if I didn't boost that game then there's a chance my trophies could be auto-popped and I have to hide the game.

6. I'm not playing the game for multiplayer. Two of my games that are entirely online are FFXIV (I've done everything solo up to now) and Friday the 13th (played privately with friends until they got bored). I do not want to spend more time on the multiplayer than the single player experience which has become all too common now.

7. In my backlog of games I have 137 online trophies to get and 5423 offline. Most of the online trophies I can do solo (Deus Ex, Mad Max, Mass Effect 3, Geometry Wars, MGSV, Middle-Earth), others have co-op (Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider). Multiplayer relates to less than 1% of my backlog.

8. Ultimately I'm a completionist. I like seeing 100%. I can then uninstall the game and close it off, hell I've got a backlog of over 100 games, closing them off is a good feeling.

I see single player as a test of skill, that is where I like to be challenged. Multiplayer means nothing to me, I can't stand playing against the general public. Playing games with friends, boosting and co-op play is fun (except for Uncharted 3 and Friday the 13th - no fun there).

3 hours ago, Papidadi said:

Oh almighty Godfather of the L.G.C!! Please share us more of thy wisdom! All these years I have sinned by boosting Multiplayer trophies, only to be frowned up as a cheater! Dispicable!

OT: No boosting is not cheating. Sure you're playing the game somewhat different as the developers intended you to do, but everything is still within the rules of the game. There's no external software in use or whatsoever.

• Like 1

my opinion about boosting

its cheating and not cheating

how?

il make it simple

when you boost for trophies and then just quit and delete the game or stop playing MP all together then its not cheating since you just took what you wanted and left without ruining the game for other people or the game leaderboards and stats.

when you boost on an MP game to get the highest kils headshots wins etc (stat padding) and keep doing it daily destroying the leaderboards and accurate stats then thats cheating and deserves a ban.

the reason most ppl boost is because online trophies can get cancerous with rage quiting/laag..
i try to get my win and stuff done and most of the times ppl just rage quit wasting my 10~20mins of time playing legit...

On 8.10.2018 at 4:37 PM, Floriiss said:

Oh almighty Godfather of the L.G.C!! Please share us more of thy wisdom! All these years I have sinned by boosting Multiplayer trophies, only to be frowned up as a cheater! Dispicable!

Almighty father please forgive me as I have sinned in many games as well...

OP I think boosting isnt cheating because you are fullfiling every trophy requirements within the game parameters, you arent tempering with the game using any 3rd party software.

• Like 1

I personally take advantage of in-game exploits to benefit me in obtaining stuff easier or more faster. I enjoy doing it, and have since I started gaming as a kid. I love doing glitches and finding things which aren't suppose to be there, or happen. Do I cheat though? No. I don't condone of people abusing a glitch or hacking in games and having an advantage over others. There's a big difference between doing exploits in a single player game and being a dickhead and ruining an experience for others on an online game, or multiplayer. Do I think abusing exploits is classified as cheating? No, but that's my personal opinion. I know a lot of people would say otherwise, but again it all comes down to what you prefer doing in-game and how you go about earning things like trophies. Do I think boosting is cheating? Why would it be? For certain games which have unstable/buggy servers, dead online base boosting is the only thing that can be done to achieve things like 100%'s or platinum's. I boosted the multiplayer trophies of Red Dead Redemption with friends and only us, does that make me a cheater? No. 

Everything comes down to every individuals opinion on the matter. Some people don't like that someone earned the platinum to a game which is difficult/grindy or dead now because they themselves earned it years ago legitimately playing the multiplayer the way it was intended to be played. Hence them throwing shade, or having a bad view on that particular person who boosted all their trophies. And the whole thing can go the complete other way around... It's all about how you perceive it. Boosting is there because it's the only thing we have besides cheating the trophies to obtain platinum's for games which in a sense are unobtainable now. As long as it's not considered cheating by Sony or sites like this, than go for it. Just don't hack your trophies. :)  

• 2 weeks later...

On topic: boosting is cheating. It's an accepted form of cheating on this and many other trophy sites. I'm not opposed to boosting and I often do it myself. The logic of it not being cheating because "The servers are dead on such-and-such game so it's the only way to do it" is in my opinion fallacious. That logic would give far too much of a shaky foundation for what is considered cheating. This would also not apply to any active game because it would still be attainable. RDR 2 already has a session setup last I checked(which I'm fine with). Some games had built in antiboosting measures like the Killzone series(I think).

Another argument is "it takes too long and is such a grind. so therefore it isn't cheating to boost" I don't understand that one at all. The logic generally seems to be I wanted to do it therefore it is okay. Many people who use save files and hacks make the same argument about not wanting to grind.

"as long as you dont mess up the tops spots in the leaderboards it's fine." You could apply that logic to this website and say "Who cares if someone hacks trophies or uses save files as long as they are far enough down on the leaderboards." (I'm not saying I feel that way btw)

Go on gaming sites that aren't so interested in trophies and ask if boosting is cheating. Especially sites devoted to games that people commonly boost. I think you'll get quite a different response. 

At the end of the day it doesn't much matter what a group or an individual persons interpretation of cheating happens to be. Just play games how you want and be prepared to live with the consequences.

Off topic: What are C.F.C. and L.G.C.?

Edited by clickclick-uhoh

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed you are banned from playstationtrophies.org How did you manage that? Seems like a legitimate trophy site, unlike PSNProfiles which is the home of the cheating fraud community...lol

I got this PM on PSN. It's so misinformed to me it's hilarious, and it's because of the gaming sessions, which I don't think the person who sent me this message noticed pst org did before PSNP ever did.

Apparently, PSNP is the CFC, the cheating fraud community, because of the boosting sessions. ?? Give me one big trophy web site that cracks down harder on cheaters than PSNP, or doesn't do what this person calls PSNP the CFC for...

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...