Disney Infinity discontinued! Unobtainable online trophies?

LittleBlueMacaw

This is what I get for buying 2.0 day one at full retail, then deciding after how quickly it dropped it's price that I'd wait for 3.0 to be cheap. First, they don't do any drops, now they shut it down. Woe is me.

Edit: My post button didn't work and I had to hit it a few times, the above message was posted 3 times and looked silly.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

... well, jeez. That's a downer for many reasons, far from the least of it being the sudden layoffs. I had the impression this series was still selling well, but... I suppose I underestimated just how MUCH success is needed to make this model work. Apparently even Skylanders is underperforming now...

No idea if the servers are still up, myself. I've honestly not played this game as much as I should have; I've wanted to get deeper into the games, but still haven't done much Toy Box tinkering, nor have I finished the packed in Play Set yet. I'd assume they won't go down that quickly without warning, though; for all that they apologize for in the article, I didn't notice anything about an apology about players being unable to share their Toy Boxes anymore, at least not yet.

Edited by CediFonei

Ouch, that sucks. I actually liked these games and was hoping they'd use a few more of their older licenses in this franchise later on D: I was also planning on getting the PS3 version of Disney Infinity 3.0 (was waiting for it to go on sale on the PSN Store but only the PS4 version did that recently) at some point since it was much more fun trophy-wise than 2.0 was (I also wanted to maybe do the Vita version of that still, but the PS4 one I'd probably haved skipped since I kept fearing the survival thing would crash on the PS3 version based on reports of that happening). Might have to change those plans now if the online is getting shut down (alternatively, might have to just play them precisely because they're going to be shut down :P).

Hopefully everyone at Avalanche gets new employment fast!

• Like 1

Ouch!  I just picked up the Disney Infinity 2.0 Starter Pack for PS4 off a clearance rack at Target for $5 just last week.  I guess I need to knock out the online trophy ASAP if the servers are still up.  Fortunately I haven't started playing it yet, so I have some time to confirm server availability before I put it in my trophy list.

Not really on topic, but if they are pulling out of console gaming I wonder what that means for games like Split/Second. I guess it's time to finally get those online trophies in all Disney Interactive games, just to be sure.

Am I the only one who's glad about Disney discontinued Infinity? I always considered games based on figurines are completely scams, forcing you to pay 15$ for each physical DLC... This is too much expensive if you want the full experience! I tried Skylanders (the game killed literally our Spyro the Dragon, R.I.P...) once and I've never liked it. And so went for every of those kind of figures: Infinity, LEGO Dimensions, Nintendo's Amiibos... The discontinuation of Infinity is a first start of the downfall of those kind of games, I'm so glad.

Yeah, on a "trophies" note, at least the Infinity games requires only the basic set which is good. It's nothing compared to LEGO Dimensions which force you to pay over 20$ EACH figure to get extra trophies... just the "scum-est" of scums! They can go bankrupt with that game!

Edited by Max654
  • Like 1

Not really surprised tbh. Disney is known for cancelling a lot of their products/games. Glad I didn't but the whole starter pack and everything.. I just bought the portal for 2 bucks at GameStop &the game on PSN when it was on sale. Also picked up a pre-owned 2.0, but haven't had the chance to play it yet. Hope the character supplies doesn't dry up too fast. I would hate to go to ToysRus and buy their items at more than the average retail price because for some reason they like to bump up the price of these items compared to their competitors. I originally bought the game so I could explain to customers(I work at GameStop) how it works and everything.. but at least the game has a basic trophy list so I pretty much could care less if I take my time with playing that game.

Am I the only one who's glad about Disney discontinued Infinity? I always considered games based on figurines are completely scams, forcing you to pay 15$ for each physical DLC... This is too much expensive if you want the full experience! I tried Skylanders (the game killed literally our Spyro the Dragon, R.I.P...) once and I've never liked it. And so went for every of those kind of figures: Infinity, LEGO Dimensions, Nintendo's Amiibos... The discontinuation of Infinity is a first start of the downfall of those kind of games, I'm so glad.

Yeah, on a "trophies" note, at least the Infinity games requires only the basic set which is good. It's nothing compared to LEGO Dimensions which force you to pay over 20$ EACH figure to get extra trophies... just the "scum-est" of scums! They can go bankrupt with that game!

You're not the only one. I also completely agree with you. I did buy Skylanders &Lego Dimensions as well.. Skylanders Trap Team I had gotten an amazing deal. I literally only paid for the portal, pre-owned game &characters(buy 2 get 3 free) and I was given the traps by the person who was trading them in and they had literally everything I needed.. That's why I don't really hate Skylanders as much as Lego Dim cause I practically got a lot of stuff for free. But Lego Dimensions, just the fact that you need to build everything, constantly move everything around and not to mention you can't go to certain areas in the MAIN story without expansions.. That only kinda pissed me off a little bit.. It's like tbh you're better off buying a regular lego game cause that's what it literally is, minus all the pieces and stuff that you could easily lose.

Amiibos are cool ok. :( You don't wanna know how much I've spent on Animal Crossing Amiibo cards.. lmfao.. But I mean at least amiibos have a good "collectors" aspect since the majority of them that come out are from Super Smash Bros and now they're starting to make more for other games (AC, YWW, Kirby, etc) everything else I can't see why you would collect these for fun. Nintendo has better looking figurines, plus they're better quality.. than any of the other toy to life characters.
Edited by DuckSwimmer

Amiibos are cool ok. :( You don't wanna know how much I've spent on Animal Crossing Amiibo cards.. lmfao.. But I mean at least amiibos have a good "collectors" aspect since the majority of them that come out are from Super Smash Bros and now they're starting to make more for other games (AC, YWW, Kirby, etc) everything else I can't see why you would collect these for fun. Nintendo has better looking figurines, plus they're better quality.. than any of the other toy to life characters.

Well I'm sorry if I don't like paid DLCs in any form, physically or digitally. I must admit Amiibos they look great, but it's the fact they hold inside exclusive modes and levels (and characters I guess?) that bothers me so much... So you need figures to play those contents...

Edited by Max654

Well I'm sorry if I don't like paid DLCs in any form, physically or digitally. I must admit Amiibos they look great, but it's the fact they hold inside exclusive modes and levels (and characters I guess?) that bothers me so much... So you need figures to play those contents...

Amiibos work somewhat differently though. It's more like a "Thank you for buying. Have a little bonus" thing. The content they provide are rather minimal and you can play the games just fine without them.

But they just can't win either way. People rage when they lock any kind of content behind them. People rage when the content is insignificant that they should have been in the game in the first place.

• Like 1

They're not needed in order to play a full game though. Like with the Splatoon, Yoshis.. Those amiibos just give you costumes in game. Basically what Macaw said, it's more like a thank you. At least Nintendo isn't shoving them down our throats like Activision lol.

I actually don't think of these "Toys to Life" games as being especially price gouging. They ARE more expensive than they should be, but to be honest, I like collecting the figures, and I tend to pay more attention to the general character design than the quality of the figure's make itself. With some minor exceptions (Unlocking the Keyblade in Kingdom Hearts 3.0), they never give me the impression of MAKING you buy everything to get the full experience of the game. I always see it "Yeah, playing this game is expensive, but you get these cool physical collectibles!" But I'm biased towards optimism in this regard anyway, sooo...

Amiibos work somewhat differently though. It's more like a "Thank you for buying. Have a little bonus" thing. The content they provide are rather minimal and you can play the games just fine without them.

But they just can't win either way. People rage when they lock any kind of content behind them. People rage when the content is insignificant that they should have been in the game in the first place.

This very much. Many people appreciate that lack of content focus for Amiibo, which is something I respect, but I'm actually more on the side of wishing they did more, at least in some games I was interested in. It's great that Amiibo are compatible with multiple games, but... with some exceptions, Amiibo functionality is so limited or generic that I don't even care to use it when I have the option. I'd say that the Mini Mario Amiibo challenge is a step in the right direction more towards what I'd like out of Amiibo, except that's still exclusive to... like, 10 out of 100 figures? Plus that's not a game I'm keen on anyway.

I suppose what I mean by all this is, my perspective has been that I'm OK with the pricing of these things for the aspect of collecting the figures themselves, and I often felt like the diversity of their character usage combined with their backwards/forwards compatibility in their games justified collecting a bunch of them... but I've always been a bit of a sucker for collecting things anyway. And though I'm disappointed in DI's cancellation, I think they would have benefited from a price drop. But this news does beg the question of how viable this model will be in the future...

• Like 1

There's actually online trophies for a Disney Infinity game? Whoever came up with that idea is an idiot.

I mean, you can't really call someone an idiot after that stunt you pulled with the Guide of the Year voting, but they've been in all 3 of the disney infinity games, stops people buying them for GG EZ plats I guess

• Like 1

They're not needed in order to play a full game though. Like with the Splatoon, Yoshis.. Those amiibos just give you costumes in game. Basically what Macaw said, it's more like a thank you. At least Nintendo isn't shoving them down our throats like Activision lol.

The Ganondorf Amiibo locks away a whole harder game mode behind a paywall. The Link Amiibo locks an entire moveset behind a paywall. The Fire Emblem Amiibos also lock characters behind a paywall.

The Ganondorf Amiibo locks away a whole harder game mode behind a paywall. The Link Amiibo locks an entire moveset behind a paywall. The Fire Emblem Amiibos also lock characters behind a paywall.

Whoops. Of course the games I don't pay attention to much have something to do with their games, lol. Thank you for correcting me.