Freaking expensive DLC

charlijaen

19.99€/$ for each pack with trophies is an abuse by the developers. They put the game for free in PS Plus but they want to charge you 40 bucks for DLC if you want 100% (and/or enjoy new game stories).

Far Cry 4, AC Syndicate & Watch dogs major DLCs are 14.99€/$ each and I waited until they were on sale at half price (and I still believe they were not worth it even at half price).

Batman DLC packs are also pretty expensive. However the Season Pass grants you everything with a huge save & also has been on sale a couple of times.

What do you think about Tropico 5 DLCs?

• Like 1

Undoubtedly the devs/pub hope that some people would buy the DLC after the got the base game for "free" on plus. 

But the DLC was available and priced at those prices for ages before the game came to plus. 

I don't think it's fair to compare this game with the likes of Rocket League, who's business model was based on a large initial userbase to which the dev could sell regular DLC. Tropico 5's business model was to sell the game in the traditional way we're all used to. I think your allegation that this is "abuse" is unfair. 

Find a review of the DLC if you're not sure about the purchase. From what I gather, it does add a lot of features, units, buildings and new mechanics to the game. 

• Like 4

Tropico 5's dlc's (at least those which contained trophies I can remember) were on sale on european store around month before Tropico was annouced as plus game. Those dlc's were 10 euros and I felt that they were still bit overpriced for my liking. 

While I enjoyed playing Tropico 5, I'm too cheap to buy dlc for over 7.5eur. This might change once I finish my studies and go back to work.  

Wait for a sale. Waterborne has been on offer a couple of times. Espionage only once so far but i imagine it will be again. Both were 50% off when I got them. They both have a campaign of about 5-6 missions each and a whole bunch of extra buildings. At 50% off I felt they were worth it. Be patient

• Like 1

Wait for a sale. Waterborne has been on offer a couple of times. Espionage only once so far but i imagine it will be again. Both were 50% off when I got them. They both have a campaign of about 5-6 missions each and a whole bunch of extra buildings. At 50% off I felt they were worth it. Be patient

Sony doesn't put DLC on sale in North America, only the occasional season pass. Europe gets DLC sales, so yeah, it's just a matter of time there.

Tropico 5's dlc's (at least those which contained trophies I can remember) were on sale on european store around month before Tropico was annouced as plus game. Those dlc's were 10 euros and I felt that they were still bit overpriced for my liking. 

While I enjoyed playing Tropico 5, I'm too cheap to buy dlc for over 7.5eur. This might change once I finish my studies and go back to work.  

I'm far too cheap to buy DLC over 4euro, unless it's something really special.

DLC for real-time strategy games tend to be a bit pricier than regular DLC to my knowledge. It's not like they raised the prices for the DLC right before they put it on Plus. Personally, i don't see myself getting the DLC at its current price either, i'll consider it at 10.

I'll skip the DLC trophies, those 2 DLCs are expensive and I don't think that it's really worth it unless you really like the game or you just have money to burn.

I don't mind not having 100% for the trophy list.

Edited by ipot_04
  • Like 1

I'm a completionist so I'll be getting the DLC however at NZ$31.95 per DLC pack I'll be waiting till it goes on sale first.

I totally get you want to 100% your stuff, but damn, don't you feel like you're wasting your money and time on stuff like this? =\

There will be a retail version of the complete game including the DLC next month. THAT is why they gave it away this month.

Trololol! :P

Could that version end up costing less than the DLCs individually though?

Edited by MMDE

Could that version end up costing less than the DLCs individually though?

Undoubtedly it will. The DLC is typically 'free' in those complete editions - as in, the game with all DLC is usually priced at the same point as just the base game was. Plus you can always wait and buy it used or rent it.

I ended up buying the Grid 2 All In Edition for this exact reason. I think it was $8 on sale. At that point the DLC packs were still $10 each, and the season pass was $35 I think. It was a real kick in the nuts as I bought the game for full retail at launch, then it became a Plus freebie and they tacked on the overpriced DLC and jacked up the season pass price.

While I do understand the 'model', it can have an impact on your customers. I know I haven't and won't purchase another CodeMasters game for full retail.

Undoubtedly it will. The DLC is typically 'free' in those complete editions - as in, the game with all DLC is usually priced at the same point as just the base game was. Plus you can always wait and buy it used or rent it.

I ended up buying the Grid 2 All In Edition for this exact reason. I think it was $8 on sale. At that point the DLC packs were still $10 each, and the season pass was $35 I think. It was a real kick in the nuts as I bought the game for full retail at launch, then it became a Plus freebie and they tacked on the overpriced DLC and jacked up the season pass price.

While I do understand the 'model', it can have an impact on your customers. I know I haven't and won't purchase another CodeMasters game for full retail.

Yeah, but the game itself cost like a good amount of money, and it's free for PS+. In other words, you'd have to ignore the price of the game. If you add up the price of all the DLCs, will that be more or less than what this complete edition with the game cost? People already got the game for free, so I honestly don't know. It's kinda up in the air. Dragon Age: Origins... I know the complete edition cost just as much as one of the DLCs... :\

This is why I won't play it. I don't play the dlc scam game. Only way I get DLCs is through a GOTY or if by some fluke the DLCs are on sale. Sad thing is if a GOTY edition comes out it will be cheaper than the. DLCs alone. Enjoy your "free" game.

I don't understand this mindset. I thought this was a fantastic offering for May's PSN Plus. I had never even heard of the game before and now I've had an absolute blast with it. Would I like to play the DLC? Sure, but I don't think $20 for trophy DLC or $10 for levels is worth it seeing as this isn't a game I'd play much outside of earning the trophies. That's more on me because I get bored with sandbox games after the excitement wears off.

Would I call it a scam? No, I think the developers created something that they're proud of and priced it for what they thought was fair to compensate their time and effort. I don't see it any different than when The Sims releases expansion packs. It'd be different if a serious chunk of the game was missing and you could only access it via DLC. As it is, it is a perfectly fine stand alone game with no pressure to buy the DLC. 

Would I call it a scam? No, I think the developers created something that they're proud of and priced it for what they thought was fair to compensate their time and effort. I don't see it any different than when The Sims releases expansion packs. It'd be different if a serious chunk of the game was missing and you could only access it via DLC. As it is, it is a perfectly fine stand alone game with no pressure to buy the DLC. 

Funny you'd bring up The Sims... because that hasn't started to tear on even the most dedicated fans of the series. They are making the same expansions over and over, expecting you to pay for what you already paid for last iteration. Tons of micro transactions and in-game shit.

Funny you'd bring up The Sims... because that hasn't started to tear on even the most dedicated fans of the series. They are making the same expansions over and over, expecting you to pay for what you already paid for last iteration. Tons of micro transactions and in-game shit.

I think if they were to stop making the same expansions (pets, vacation, uni, weather) and just build them into the base game, it would make the game less accessible. Back when Sims 2 was big, my computer couldn't handle all of the expansions so I had to pick and choose. Putting them into all in one game would make it a gigantic drain on computer memory. Granted, not as much of a problem nowadays, but I think it makes sense to make it be only as large as you want/can handle. Not to mention, it would probably make the initial cost significantly more. I'd much rather pay for my base game (especially once the price drops, because yes, it basically is the same iteration), then the expansions as they also drop and I can comfortably purchase them instead of one giant price tag in the beginning. The base game isn't any less playable without them though.

Now, I do think their pay-per-item business that they have with the in-game store is ridiculous. To me it's frivolous, similar to mobile games payments, but minus any advantage. But hey, if you want to throw down the money, go for it.

I think if they were to stop making the same expansions (pets, vacation, uni, weather) and just build them into the base game, it would make the game less accessible. Back when Sims 2 was big, my computer couldn't handle all of the expansions so I had to pick and choose. Putting them into all in one game would make it a gigantic drain on computer memory. Granted, not as much of a problem nowadays, but I think it makes sense to make it be only as large as you want/can handle. Not to mention, it would probably make the initial cost significantly more. I'd much rather pay for my base game (especially once the price drops, because yes, it basically is the same iteration), then the expansions as they also drop and I can comfortably purchase them instead of one giant price tag in the beginning. The base game isn't any less playable without them though.

Now, I do think their pay-per-item business that they have with the in-game store is ridiculous. To me it's frivolous, similar to mobile games payments, but minus any advantage. But hey, if you want to throw down the money, go for it.

What if the expansions were opt-in stuff you could disable/enable? Perhaps free, or heavily reduced price, for those who had already paid for it in previous iterations?

Edited by MMDE

I don't understand this mindset. I thought this was a fantastic offering for May's PSN Plus. I had never even heard of the game before and now I've had an absolute blast with it. Would I like to play the DLC? Sure, but I don't think $20 for trophy DLC or $10 for levels is worth it seeing as this isn't a game I'd play much outside of earning the trophies. That's more on me because I get bored with sandbox games after the excitement wears off.

Its a scam when down the road you normally pay less for a GOTY edition than what you will pay for just the dlcs. Take Borderlands 2. I paid something like 30 dollars for the Handsome Jack Edition. If I paid separately, just the DLCs for one game would have cost as much as the whole package. So yes I would call it a scam.