Gintama references

Zenpai

Hey there, guys. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to help me with something, namely, the Gintama fans.

Last year, after 9 years, I finally finished my "to-watch" list of TV shows (that's what unemployment will do to you). Since I had nothing else to watch and didn't feel like revisiting my old favorites yet, I decided to watch all the Jump series present in this game, at least until the part where I've seen all (major) references.

I've since finished Hokuto no Ken, D.Gray-Man, Boboboubo Boubobo and Saint Seiya, and I'm currently watching Gintama. Out of all the anime I still hadn't watched before, Gintama is by far the longest, so I was just wondering if any of you guys knew which episode contains each of Gintoki's attacks and references, namely:

• His Saint-Seiya-like charging stance
  • The Shouyu-ken (the "attack" where Gintoki throws soy sauce at you to cloud your field of view)
  • His ultimate attack (the one where the credits start to roll - this one looks a bit random, so I'm not even sure if this was ever in any of Gintama's episodes or if it was just made-up for the game).

I've since found out that the Kamehameha attack appears in episode 114. The Justaway reference is early on in the series, so I already saw it. Oh, and does he ever utter the "Sugar King" line (an obvious reference to One Piece) in the actual series?

The Gintama stage (Yoshiwara Paradise) will apparently only appear by the "Yoshiwara in Flames" arc, so I've got at least until episode 146 to watch.

I'd greatly appreciate it if any of you could help me out with this... eccentric quest of mine :P

Thanks in advance!

you mean... this?

btw... fave part:

Joseph repeating Gintoki's line before he can even say it.

Joseph: The next thing you're going to say is "Huh, he kind of reminds me of myself!"
Shinpachi: Gin-san, this guy... he kind of sounds a lot like you.
Gintoki: Huh, he kind of reminds me of myself. ...wait, what the hell are you playing at?
Shinpachi: It was just a prediction! You're the only one playing around, Gin-san!
  • His trolling of Joseph right back.
Gintoki: The next thing you're going to say is "My...special trick!"
Joseph: My...special trick...
Edited by JaM

you mean... this?

Pretty much, though the site doesn't specify which episode each reference comes from, or even if it comes from any episode at all (the developers might have just been having some fun with the property - it really lends itself to it).

Basically, I just want to know how many episodes will I have to watch to see all the references outlined in my original post. I already know it's going to have to be at least 146, I just need to know if I'm going to have to go even further beyond.

If I remember correctly, one of the early episodes has Kagura say the Gokou line. He makes a One Piece reference in another early episode, when he and Zura "try-out" for a space pirate crew (forgot the line, but it has to do with finding the One Piece although he says it wrong) and I think he was wearing a straw hat... It's been a while so I don't really remember.

• Like 1

Yo...I'm a huge Gintama fan and although I haven't played J-Stars yet I've seen gameplay and most of Gin's attacks are made up.Like the Kamehameha...in the anime he's fan of Dragon Ball and he tries the Kamehameha(while hidden from the others) but he never succeeds.It's just like a Bankai,he's fan of Bleach and his dream is actually being able to do a Bankai haha...its all about the freakin amazing references Sorachi-sensei does.As he is just a badass samurai without any power the devs had to create attacks for him...and they did perfectly making them all a comedy which is Gintama's essence.

Also this talk reminded me why Gintama does not have a fighting game,at leats it didn't the last time I checked.They even mention on the anime that because Gin does not have any superpowers Namco is having a hard time trying to get ideas to make a video game.

PS:I'm glad they added a stage of Gintama in the game...I would prefer Kabuki district but Yoshiwara fits perfectly.

PPS:I know its a lot of episodes but when you get to Yoshiwara arc Gintama will change completely...when Gintama gets serious its arcs blow almost everything outta water.Make sure to watch until 267.The Shogun arc is insane.

• Like 2