Resident Evil 7, Going Back to Horror Roots? To Be Announced at E3

It's good to see that I'm not the only person to actually enjoy the updated games. I absolutely loved re6 and don't understand why so many people hated it. It was really fun for me and my friends. I might also be the only one who would dread going back to the tank controls and the camera angles that got you chewed on for absolutely no reason at all in the older games. Either way they choose to go with the franchise, I'd always be on board as I am a diehard fan that thinks that variety is amazing.

because resident evil was created as a survival horror franchise and they gain many fans because of that, and capcom later changed it to a call of duty fast paced action franchise so those fans who joined the franchise for its horror now hates it.

if capcom wants to create games like RE5 and 6 that's fine, but why don't they do it with a new IP instead of doing it with an existent franchise which wasn't supposed to be that way in the first place.

Edited by smellslikejavier
  • Like 1

because resident evil was created as a survival horror franchise and they gain many fans because of that, and capcom later changed it to a call of duty fast paced action franchise so those fans who joined the franchise for its horror now hates it.

if capcom wants to create games like RE5 and 6 that's fine, but why don't they do it with a new IP instead of doing it with an existent franchise which wasn't supposed to be that way in the first place.

I can certainly understand your point. This is the same way I felt about Assassin's creed when they got rid of the stealth and basically made it Pirate and Templar's creed. I was a fan of Resident Evil from the very first game and can definitely see why some fans might be a tad frustrated as changing what made the franchise great in the first place can leave a bitter taste in one's mouth. I'm just one of the few who happen to enjoy the old way (give or take a few flaws) and the new way they made it and I simply just don't have a problem with them going in either direction.

• Like 2

It's one thing to "miss" the way the series used to be, it's another to be so salty and have such clouded judgement with the recent games... as people seem to with the Resident Evil games.  And all because it has a certain name?  You don't mind if Capcom spends resources making games you don't like... as long as it doesn't have a certain name?  Is it like a "fanboy" thing (or a "it's hip to hate it" bandwagon thing)?  Where the name is more important than the game itself?  Especially since it's actually very good, for what it's trying to be.  I'll never understand it.  Just seems unreasonable.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

and what about games like until dawn, resident evil remake HD, outlast, P.T. teaser, etc which were a success on sales (except PT since it was free), having great reviews and being hugely popular on internet sites like youtube and twitch? they might not sell as many copies as games like uncharted 4 but they are far from being something that its barely popular, yes last gen the horror game genre saw a decline thanks to action franchises like COD, RE's action route, etc which started to rapidly gain popularity because it was something new and exciting, but then people got tired of seeing and playing only mindless action games and that's why in this new gen the horror genre saw a revival once again with the games i mentioned above.

funny that "capcom said the survival horror isn't profitable" when later they claimed that the RE1 remake remaster became their fastest and best selling game (at least on digital) on the ps store and that they were very happy with its sales, which later led to them wanting to remaster RE0 and claiming that they would remaster many more of their old games (since it seems they can't make a proper new survival horror game no more, so might as well remaster the good old ones)

I never said it couldn't succeed in the first place.

Then why are they still pumping money on Umbrella Corps? In fact, why did they announce such a game even after the release and success of RE HD Remaster? It's kinda contradictory imo.

The claim that they are still going to release old stuff to sell more might raise a flag about this new RE7 then. Ultimately, it remains to be known. Perhaps they will succeed, perhaps they won't. They said similar stuff long ago about how RE6 would go back to their roots and blah blah and look how it turned out.

Not trying to be salty here, but I really don't find major reasons to be hyped or expectant about this game.

Anyways, the last thing I want is starting a potential bicker between us or other members. I'll just call it off.

Cheers.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

The first three Resident Evil games were fantastic, then it started to disappear down a road I wasn't interested in to the point that I won't even touch RE6.

What this game needs is a complete overhaul, just like Tomb Raider. If they did they could have a game that would rank up there as one of the best games ever made then work on it from there.

As for RE7, I wouldn't bother, or call it something else. To me it was the same as knowing Police Academy 7 had been released - who cares, you've run out of ideas and credibility, lost interest.

Edited by FawltyPowers
  • Like 1

It's one thing to "miss" the way the series used to be, it's another to be so salty and have such clouded judgement with the recent games... as people seem to with the Resident Evil games.  And all because it has a certain name?  You don't mind if Capcom spends resources making games you don't like... as long as it doesn't have a certain name?  Is it like a "fanboy" thing (or a "it's hip to hate it" bandwagon thing)?  Where the name is more important than the game itself?  Especially since it's actually very good, for what it's trying to be.  I'll never understand it.  Just seems unreasonable.

when a series completely changes its genre as a fan i'm allowed to complain, i joined the franchise because i'm a fan of the horror genre and i loved them because they were survival horrors, and then with each new installment they became action games, which i dislike, so of course i'm going to be salty about it.

if they want to make action games why don't they start a new IP? i don't like action so i didn't bought a single RE game after RE4. RE was never meant to be an action game, that's like changing FIFA to a horror franchise, Gran Turismo to third person shooter game, etc so of course you are going to be mad about it if you are a fan of those franchises.

and it seems RE6 really isn't that good giving its poor reviews, bad reception among the majority of fans and non-fans of the franchise, which you can see on every single forum when they mention the game, and apparently underperformed in sales according to capcom's expectations. meanwhile REmake became their fastest digital selling game on the ps store, RE0 had really good sales numbers too and the fan request was so high that they decided to start working on a RE2 remake...

I never said it couldn't succeed in the first place.

Then why are they still pumping money on Umbrella Corps? In fact, why did they announce such a game even after the release and success of RE HD Remaster? It's kinda contradictory imo.

The claim that they are still going to release old stuff to sell more might raise a flag about this new RE7 then. Ultimately, it remains to be known. Perhaps they will succeed, perhaps they won't. They said similar stuff long ago about how RE6 would go back to their roots and blah blah and look how it turned out.

Not trying to be salty here, but I really don't find major reasons to be hyped or expectant about this game.

Anyways, the last thing I want is starting a potential bicker between us or other members. I'll just call it off.

Cheers.

because they are still making money of the action genre too? i never said anything about its horror games selling better than its action games, only that they are obviously making profit of the survival horror giving the good sales of REmake and RE0.

still you can go to any umbrella corps video, specially its trailer, and you can see that big ass dislike bar it has, same with the recent COD trailer, because fans are tired of the same generic crap again and again.

• Like 1

when a series completely changes its genre as a fan i'm allowed to complain, i joined the franchise because i'm a fan of the horror genre and i loved them because they were survival horrors, and then with each new installment they became action games, which i dislike, so of course i'm going to be salty about it.

if they want to make action games why don't they start a new IP? i don't like action so i didn't bought a single RE game after RE4. RE was never meant to be an action game, that's like changing FIFA to a horror franchise, Gran Turismo to third person shooter game, etc so of course you are going to be mad about it if you are a fan of those franchises.

First of all, those are awful examples.  Even the original Resident Evil games were shooters, granted of a different ilk.  FIFA into a horror franchise?  Gran Turismo into a shooter?  Really?  These are similar situations in your head?  The closest comparable I would say is my NHL games turning into a "manager simulator" or something, since I don't like those franchise manager games and it's still hockey related, but you want to know how I'd respond?  Or how rational people should respond?  "Shoot... guess I'm not buying these games anymore" and I'd get over it.  I'd accept that the games are either good or bad for what they are/have become, but in either case, are not for me.

Second of all, you didn't "join" a franchise.  You bought a game.  Maybe several games.  Did you like them?  Did you get your moneys worth?  Then Capcom did nothing wrong by you.  They're under no obligation to make sure every game they make is perfectly tailored to your interests, regardless of what it's called and regardless of how good or bad of a decision you think that is in terms of sales.  You could maybe make an argument about false advertising or trying to pull the ol' switcheroo the first time around, but hoo boy would you have an uphill battle to climb at this point.  After 3 or so post-survival horror numbered installments and still claiming "it was supposed to be survival horror, why would Capcom do this to us!!"

Voicing your displeasure is a wonderful thing, Capcom listening would be even better... but there's literally no good reason to still be as upset as some people are almost a decade and 2-3 installments after RE4 went all "action game" on us.  It's all just hypersensitive fanboy-ish nonsense and undeserved self-importance about how special you're supposed to be as fans of a series.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

First of all, those are awful examples.  Even the original Resident Evil games were shooters, granted of a different ilk.  FIFA into a horror franchise?  Gran Turismo into a shooter?  Really?  These are similar situations in your head?  The closest comparable I would say is my NHL games turning into a "manager simulator" or something, since I don't like those franchise manager games and it's still hockey related, but you want to know how I'd respond?  Or how rational people should respond?  "Shoot... guess I'm not buying these games anymore" and I'd get over it.  I'd accept that the games are either good or bad for what they are/have become, but in either case, are not for me.

Second of all, you didn't "join" a franchise.  You bought a game.  Maybe several games.  Did you like them?  Did you get your moneys worth?  Then Capcom did nothing wrong by you.  They're under no obligation to make sure every game they make is perfectly tailored to your interests, regardless of what it's called and regardless of how good or bad of a decision that is in terms of sales.  You could maybe make an argument about false advertising or trying to pull the ol' switcheroo the first time around, but hoo boy would you have an uphill battle to climb at this point.  After 3 or so post-survival horror numbered installments and still claiming "it was supposed to be survival horror, why would Capcom do this to us!!"

Voicing your displeasure is a wonderful thing, Capcom listening would be even better... but there's literally no good reason to still be as upset as some people are almost a decade and 2-3 installments after RE4 went all "action game" on us.  It's all just hypersensitive fanboy-ish nonsense and undeserved self-importance about how special you're supposed to be as fans of a series.

its an exaggerated example of something that also happened to this franchise, going from horror, suspense and puzzles to fast paced action and nothing more than that.

i bought nearly all of the original RE games and became a fan of the franchise, "join", if you like to take a simple word out of context just to have something more to say then well...

i'm not saying they should adapt to my interests, but the interests of the people who were faithful to the series until it went for the action movie hollywood side and now it gets nothing but hate from the majority of players, with RE6 having mixed to poor reviews and underperforming on sales according to capcom's initial expectations, which led to capcom now wanting to make RE7 a return to survival horror, which obviously will be something like the Revelations series so it will be another action game inside a horror setting but at least it will look more like a true RE game and not the garbage that RE6 was, again according to fan reviews and professional reviews.

• Like 1

with RE6 having mixed to poor reviews and underperforming on sales according to capcom's initial expectations, which led to capcom now wanting to make RE7 a return to survival horror, which obviously will be something like the Revelations series so it will be another action game inside a horror setting but at least it will look more like a true RE game and not the garbage that RE6 was, again according to fan reviews and professional reviews.

So in other words, it sounds like reviews (someone who has bought and played the games) and underwhelming sales speak louder than the "angry loyal fan that hasn't bought or played a Resident Evil game since RE3" moaning on forums a decade later?

I would agree with that.

Almost makes me feel like those angry loyal fans (of not just Resident Evil, but any outrage inducing franchise) have wasted a lot of time being so salty and agitated though.  I'd go as far as to call it, completely unnecessary.  A "bad game" apparently speaks for itself.  So again, I ask... why can't some people get over it?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

So in other words, it sounds like reviews (someone who has bought and played the games) and underwhelming sales speak louder than the "angry loyal fan that hasn't bought or played a Resident Evil game since RE3" moaning on forums a decade later?

I would agree with that.

Almost makes me feel like those angry loyal fans (of not just Resident Evil, but any outrage inducing franchise) have wasted a lot of time being so salty and agitated though.  I'd go as far as to call it, completely unnecessary.  A "bad game" apparently speaks for itself.  So again, I ask... why can't some people get over it?

no, it speaks that the majority are displeased with recent entries, being someone who bought the game, played it, and scored a bad review or someone who has seen others play it and didn't recognized anything from resident evil between all the mindless shooting and explosions.

the same way i saw some people not getting over with creating arguments and fights between another user every time they see the opportunity when that user didn't even talked to him in the first place i don't get over with the decline of this franchise.

• Like 1

no, it speaks that the majority are displeased with recent entries, being someone who bought the game, played it, and scored a bad review or someone who has seen others play it and didn't recognized anything from resident evil between all the mindless shooting and explosions.

the same way i saw some people not getting over with creating arguments and fights between another user every time they see the opportunity when that user didn't even talked to him in the first place i don't get over with the decline of this franchise.

Since when does watching a video qualify you to "review" a game you haven't played?  Because your post said poor reviews and underwhelming sales were forcing Capcom's hand.

And what the hell kind of point is that last bit?  You mean like the person you quoted, who wasn't even talking to you, who was responding to a post of mine?  I didn't realize this was your personal blog. xD  If I'm still obsessed with these specific posts you've "developed" a decade from now, and try to claim my "outrage" is the reason people post better, you have a great point.

Edited by Dreakon13

Since when does watching a video qualify you to "review" a game you haven't played?  Because your post said poor reviews and underwhelming sales.

And what the hell kind of point is that last bit?  You mean like the person you quoted, who wasn't even talking to you, who was responding to a post of mine?  I didn't realize this was your personal blog. xD  If I'm still obsessed with these specific posts you've "developed" a decade from now, you have a great point.

because i saw a friend of mine playing it in his house, and i don't need to be holding the controller myself to see it doesn't have any of the survival horror of the older entries and thus i won't like it, let alone buy it.

and about the last bit i wasn't talking about this specific thread but all threads in general, where every time an excuse is given to start arguments and fights between users they take it, so hoping you aren't still like that on a decade from now, or well maybe you have been since a decade ago, i don't know.

I'm a huge fan of the franchise and would prefer the series to continue being focused on Survival Horror instead of being a Third Person Shooter. With that being said, i know the difference between what generates a company $ and what doesn't. Sure the games receive positive reviews when they are sold on a more traditional way (Survival Horror) and receive negative reviews when they are sold as Third Person Shooters (RE 5 & 6). But at the end of the day what matters for a company is the money earned, which is something they achieve when selling the games as a Third Person  Shooter.

REmake sold pretty well despite being 10+ years old, but the reason for that is because the game was sold on multiple platforms and the fact barely anyone got to play it when it was originally released and let's be honest here.... we all know REmake sold less than 2 millions units when it was originally release and people were getting tired of the tank controls. Not only that but even the failure know as RE 6 has sold millions of copies more than REmake and RE 0 combined. Capcom current plan (assuming RE 7 is a Survival Horror title) is to separate the Survival Horror and Third Person Shooter fanbase by creating titles such as Umbrella Corps. The reason is pretty simple, keep the originals fans happy by slowly releasing Remastered version of praised titles and spin off such as Revelations 1 & 2. Doing that will please the loud crowd so the franchise doesn't have that "negative" view it has gathered on the last few years for switching from Survival Horror to Action games.

its an exaggerated example of something that also happened to this franchise, going from horror, suspense and puzzles to fast paced action and nothing more than that.

i bought nearly all of the original RE games and became a fan of the franchise, "join", if you like to take a simple word out of context just to have something more to say then well...

i'm not saying they should adapt to my interests, but the interests of the people who were faithful to the series until it went for the action movie hollywood side and now it gets nothing but hate from the majority of players, with RE6 having mixed to poor reviews and underperforming on sales according to capcom's initial expectations, which led to capcom now wanting to make RE7 a return to survival horror, which obviously will be something like the Revelations series so it will be another action game inside a horror setting but at least it will look more like a true RE game and not the garbage that RE6 was, again according to fan reviews and professional reviews.

The sooner you learn a company couldn't care less about the fans and more about the profit earned, the better. This applies to every developer and publisher out there.

RE 6 isn't really fun outside of Mercenaries and yes the game deserves all of the negative reviews it has receive, however most of the Steam community reviews doesn't share the same opinion.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221040/reviews/?browsefilter=toprated

Despite not selling what they expected, RE 5 & 6 sold much more than RE 1 - 3 aka the golden days of the franchise.

There's a difference between being fan of a franchise & game genre. Since i'd assume the reason you played the original games is because of the horror factor then you are a fan of the Survival Horror genre. Being a fan of the franchise would mean keep playing the rest of  the games despite the franchise taking a different direction for better or worse.

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1

because i saw a friend of mine playing it in his house, and i don't need to be holding the controller myself to see it doesn't have any of the survival horror of the older entries and thus i won't like it, let alone buy it.

You do if you want the opinion that a game is "garbage" to carry any weight, especially since you seem to believe your (and others like you) public outrage is making some kind of impact.  At least that's how it should work.  It really doesn't anymore, since the gaming community has become a "who can be the most outraged over games/developers we don't like" contest over the last few years.

And lord knows it's expensive to be outraged about as many games as humanly possible, if it means actually having to play them first.

Edited by Dreakon13

The sooner you learn a company couldn't care less about the fans and more about the profit earned, the better. This applies to every developer and publisher out there.

RE 6 isn't really fun outside of Mercenaries and yes the game deserves all of the negative reviews it has receive, however most of the Steam community reviews doesn't share the same opinion.

Despite not selling what they expected, RE 5 & 6 sold much more than RE 1 - 3 aka the golden days of the franchise.

There's a difference between being fan of a franchise & game genre. Since i'd assume the reason you played the original games is because of the horror factor then you are a fan of the Survival Horror genre. Being a fan of the franchise would mean keep playing the rest of  the games despite the franchise taking a different direction for better or worse.

i never visit steam so i don't know, but whatever you go to any forum and site on the internet you will find mostly negative reviews for RE6.

they sold better because they are action games which appeals to a greater audience, as opposed to the horror, but now after all the negative feedback that RE6 received and them wanting to go back to the horror route it seems that they got the message, otherwise they wouldn't have done it if the action games were the only profitable ones.

you can be a fan of a franchise but that doesn't mean you have to agree with it on everything and if they change something that you liked you have to shut up and be fine with it.

You do if you want the opinion that a game is "garbage" to carry any weight, especially since you seem to believe your (and others like you) public outrage is making some kind of impact.  At least that's how it should work.  It really doesn't anymore, since the gaming community has become a "who can be the most outraged over games/developers we don't like" contest over the last few years.

And lord knows it's expensive to be outraged and actually have perspective about as many games as humanly possible, if actually playing them is necessary.

well the public outrage made capcom wanting to go back to RE's horror routes, so it worked, it says it on the title of this thread, and they also agreed to do a RE2 remake after all the negative feedback on the action games and people wanting at least more remasters and remakes of older titles.

well the public outrage made capcom wanting to go back to RE's horror routes, so it worked, it says it on the title of this thread, and they also agreed to do a RE2 remake after all the negative feedback on the action games and people wanting at least more remasters and remakes of older titles.

I'm not saying public outrage doesn't work, apparently.  I'm just wondering if a decade of it from people who haven't even been playing the games are really the kinds of people that should be calling the shots.  Pandering to the "who can scream the loudest, longest until I get what I want" crowd.  But such is the state we're in.

Congratulations?  You know they said the same thing before RE6, right?

EDIT: Maybe you should all get together and make the next great survival horror game?  I mean, I've made my own websites to get away from you people, because you outrage me.  I'm planning on doing it again.  If you're outraged, why not actually do something about it?  Capcom isn't the only game developer out there, Resident Evil isn't the only franchise that can be survival horror?

Edited by Dreakon13

I'm not saying public outrage doesn't work, apparently.  I'm just wondering if a decade of screaming from people who haven't even been playing the games are really the kinds of people that should be calling the shots.  But such is the state we're in.

Congratulations?  You know they said the same thing before RE6, right?

they should be if capcom wants money from those people. they are also making a remake of RE2, and even they know that it would be a very bad option to turn it into an action game, and they decided to do it thanks to all the people begging for a come back of the survival horror.

i read an article where they stated they wanted to attract COD fans to RE with RE6: http://gamerant.com/resident-evil-6-details-capcom-call-of-duty-brian-126301/so i don't know at what extent they were really trying to say that RE6 would be a true horror game, but after the success of REmake HD and RE0 HD i believe this time they are putting more effort into it.

they should be if capcom wants money from those people. they are also making a remake of RE2, and even they know that it would be a very bad option to turn it into an action game, and they decided to do it thanks to all the people begging for a come back of the survival horror.

i read an article where they stated they wanted to attract COD fans to RE with RE6: http://gamerant.com/resident-evil-6-details-capcom-call-of-duty-brian-126301/so i don't know at what extent they were really trying to say that RE6 would be a true horror game, but after the success of REmake HD and RE0 HD i believe this time they are putting more effort into it.

Tough to find among the "outrage" these days...

"We’re going back to the original game where you were scared all the time. We’re putting back all the spills, thrills and chills of Resident Evil games."

https://www.primagames.com/games/resident-evil-6/strategy/resident-evil-6-hiroyuki-kobayashi-takes-survival-

I really just wish people could admit the outrage is unnecessary, but I don't know if it's out of some odd sense of self-importance or self-preservation... like admitting it, is admitting their energy could be better spent elsewhere... but it's like pulling teeth.  If a game is bad, it'll review bad, people who actually play the game have avenues to make their opinions known.  If it reviews bad or looks bad or continues along a undesired path from previous entries, people won't buy it.  If people don't buy it, the company will go back to what made the franchise successful before.  If people continue to buy it, it means they actually like it and there's nothing wrong with that.  Maybe it just isn't for you.  The decade of kicking and screaming isn't needed.

You don't even have to stop, just admit it's not necessary and you do it solely to make that little ball of mush in your head feel better.

Edited by Dreakon13