Resident Evil 7, Going Back to Horror Roots? To Be Announced at E3

i never visit steam so i don't know, but whatever you go to any forum and site on the internet you will find mostly negative reviews for RE6.

they sold better because they are action games which appeals to a greater audience, as opposed to the horror, but now after all the negative feedback that RE6 received and them wanting to go back to the horror route it seems that they got the message, otherwise they wouldn't have done it if the action games were the only profitable ones.

you can be a fan of a franchise but that doesn't mean you have to agree with it on everything and if they change something that you liked you have to shut up and be fine with it.

well the public outrage made capcom wanting to go back to RE's horror routes, so it worked, it says it on the title of this thread, and they also agreed to do a RE2 remake after all the negative feedback on the action games and people wanting at least more remasters and remakes of older titles.

You are taking my comment out of contest. People have the right to complain but the truth is, if a franchise doesn't live up to your expectations for so many years don't expect a really drastic change on RE 7 (tank controls and stuff like that). There are far greater horror franchises out there and people have decided to play those instead of RE which hasn't been a Survival Horror for the last few years.

Re read my previous post. Umbrella Corps which most likely will be crap will be release next month and that is an Action Multiplayer Shooter. By simple separating  both fanbase you can keep both of them happy with less repercussions.

If something doesn't appeal to the original fanbase for so many years is better to move onto better things. If a franchise doesn't appeal to me after certain amount of time i would simple move on, rather than repeating the same old stuff for years and years.

Don't let your emotions dictate what they want to you to think my friend. Capcom isn't making the next RE game a Survival Horror one because they really care about the fans. They are just separating both fanbase completely and on the process making everyone happy for the most part. Titles such as Umbrella Corps, Operations Raccoon City, Chronicles will continue to exist, while the main series will take on a more traditional route but not completely like the original games. Once one of the genre starts declining they will slowly cut it off completely, until fan demand makes then change their mind again. And well re releasing remastered versions of older titles is an easy money grab, fortunately for Capcom there's more than enough fan demand from many of their old IP. Not releasing those games would be a stupid decision from business perspective.

Edited by Paige

Tough to find among the "outrage" these days...

"We’re going back to the original game where you were scared all the time. We’re putting back all the spills, thrills and chills of Resident Evil games."

https://www.primagames.com/games/resident-evil-6/strategy/resident-evil-6-hiroyuki-kobayashi-takes-survival-

I really just wish people could admit the outrage is unnecessary, but I don't know if it's out of some odd sense of self-importance or self-preservation... like admitting it, is admitting their energy could be better spent elsewhere... but it's like pulling teeth.  If a game is bad, it'll review bad, people who actually play the game have avenues to make their opinions known.  If it reviews bad or looks bad, people won't buy it.  If people don't buy it, the company will go back to what made the franchise successful before.  If people continue to buy it, it means they actually like it and there's nothing wrong with that.  The decade of kicking and screaming isn't needed.

You don't even have to stop, just admit it's not necessary and you do it solely to make that little ball of mush in your head feel better.

is not unnecessary when they are making a remake of one of their survival horror, spending resources on it that otherwise wouldn't have been spent if no one was complaining about the action route of the recent entries. the reviews are there, there are people who never reads them so they can go into the game blind without knowing how it might be, so its sales doesn't depends only on professional reviews, but the overall opinion about the franchise which is also influenced by word of mouth. and if we are talking about making something unnecessary is this discussion, and admit is not necessary for your little ball of mush in your head like you said.

You are taking my comment out of contest. People have the right to complain but the truth is, if a franchise doesn't live up to your expectations for so many years don't expect a really drastic change on RE 7 (tank controls and stuff like that). There are far greater horror franchises out there and people have decided to play those instead of RE which hasn't been a Survival Horror for the last few years.

Re read my previous post. Umbrella Corps which most likely will be crap will be release next month and that is an Action Multiplayer Shooter. By simple separating  both fanbase you can keep both of them happy with less repercussions.

If something doesn't appeal to the original fanbase for so many years is better to move onto better things. If a franchise doesn't appeal to me after certain amount of time i would simple move on, rather than repeating the same old stuff for years and years.

Don't let your emotions dictate what they want to you to think my friend. Capcom isn't making the next RE game a Survival Horror one because they really care about the fans. They are just separating both fanbase completely and on the process making everyone happy for the most part. Titles such as Umbrella Corps, Operations Raccoon City, Chronicles will continue to exist, while the main series will take on a more traditional route but not completely like the original games. Once one of the genre starts declining they will slowly cut it off completely, until fan demand makes then change their mind again. And well re releasing remastered versions of older titles is an easy money grab, fortunately for Capcom there's more than enough fan demand from many of their old IP. Not releasing those games would be a stupid decision from business perspective.

i never mentioned tanks controls though, just more horror than action, like the Revelations series but a little better done. i just saw this thread and made an opinion, which later led to countless replies.

i know they will continue to exist and never said that capcom cares about the fans, but thankfully to high demand and later survival horror remaster and horror games having a great success they decided to aim for survival horror again.

is not unnecessary when they are making a remake of one of their survival horror, spending resources on it that otherwise wouldn't have been spent if no one was complaining about the action route of the recent entries. the reviews are there, there are people who never reads them so they can go into the game blind without knowing how it might be, so its sales doesn't depends only on professional reviews, but the overall opinion about the franchise which is also influenced by word of mouth. and if we are talking about making something unnecessary is this discussion, and admit is not necessary for your little ball of mush in your head like you said.

I agree I post based on emotion and this has been completely unnecessary.  Even if I had an unrealistic goal of changing the way people post, no one cares about my opinion (or yours for that matter) enough to sway them and this site/thread probably won't be seen by 99% of the world.  It's purely for me, for the little ball of mush in my head.

See?  It's not hard.

People shouldn't blindly purchase anything.  Why the heck would we want to encourage that kind of stupidity.  Professional reviews, gameplay videos, legitimate thought-out opinions from people who have actually played the games.  The information is out there.  The kicking and screaming isn't necessary.  Just admit it, so we can all go home to our families.

Edited by Dreakon13

I agree I post based on emotion and this has been completely unnecessary.  Even if I had an unrealistic goal of changing the way people post, no one cares about my opinion (or yours for that matter) enough to sway them and this site/thread probably won't be seen by 99% of the world.

See?  It's not hard.

People shouldn't blindly purchase anything.  Why the heck would we want to encourage that kind of stupidity.

If it is that emotion that makes you post things like "that little ball of mush in your head" then please refrain from posting based on emotion. You've been needlessly aggressive in this thread (and quite a few others) when people are just sharing an opinion and there is no need for it. 

Parker

• Like 1

If it is that emotion that makes you post things like "that little ball of mush in your head" then please refrain from posting based on emotion. You've been needlessly aggressive in this thread (and quite a few others) when people are just sharing an opinion and there is no need for it. 

Parker

I have a little ball of mush in my head too, dude.  We all do. (You'll notice I edited my post saying as much before I could've even read yours.)  I really haven't posted much directly insulting to anyone here (unless you relate to my generalities about the gaming community consisting of a lot of "kickers and screamers"), so you might as well be asking me to not post my opinion.

Duly noted.  Thanks.

Edited by Dreakon13

I agree I post based on emotion and this has been completely unnecessary.  Even if I had an unrealistic goal of changing the way people post, no one cares about my opinion (or yours for that matter) enough to sway them and this site/thread probably won't be seen by 99% of the world.  It's purely for me, for the little ball of mush in my head.

See?  It's not hard.

People shouldn't blindly purchase anything.  Why the heck would we want to encourage that kind of stupidity.  Professional reviews, gameplay videos, legitimate thought-out opinions from people who have actually played the games.  The information is out there.  The kicking and screaming isn't necessary.  Just admit it, so we can all go home to our families.

people shouldn't but they sadly do, like ubisoft games who are infamous for being glitchy and also heavily criticized because of that but people keeps buying them because of the marketing campaing and pretty graphics.

i'm not kicking and screaming, just letting capcom know (not here obviously) that i would prefer a more focused horror title like it used to be instead of more resident of duty so they can get my money again, thankfully like i said is working and will keep an eye on RE2 remake, and see if they can make RE7 something more similar to the Revelations series at least, since that's the best they can do closer to a survival horror experience right now

Edited by smellslikejavier

Wow, I found Re6 to be a pretty basic game with no actual horror or notion that survival mattered.  If you're going to use a brand name to label a completely different Genre than the 1st thoughts of the fan base are going to be negative.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My advice: don't put your faith in Capcom. Because however paradoxical it may be, they will simultaneously disappoint all of you.

I think that the action elements are here to stay, because it's a quick salve for laziness. You need a real hook to make otherwise-empty exploration fun. Instead of trying to discover that hook, expect Capcom to go the easy route, with peon enemies, partner dialogues, etc.

Capcom or maybe even gamers themselves have long forgotten that which made the original Resident Evil trilogy so beautiful: Suspense! Real atmospheric suspense having nothing to do with whether you'll be able to fire 20 more rounds into an enemy before he wastes you and forces you to restart at the previous checkpoint, losing 5 oh so precious minutes of progress. That stuff's fine for people who prefer action games—just don't try to turn an established survival horror franchise like Resident Evil/Biohazard into the next Call of Duty. What the hell, man?

The producers once explained that they're trying to appease two factions of fans: those who prefer the old-school style of gameplay which RE1-3 and CV offered, and those who prefer the newer over-the-shoulder, faster-paced style introduced in RE4, a game that served as an introduction to the series for many of the younger fans, especially. 

But in their futile attempt, Capcom has truly bludgeoned RE to death with their failed experimentation only to witness the franchise reanimate into the abomination that it has become. Revelations was lightyears better than RE6 but it's still a mediocre game, regardless of whichever genres it tries to spread itself across. Yet, it was praised by so many. Baffling since it's neither a top tier action game nor a top tier survival horror game, precisely because of trying to appeal to EVERYONE.

I was so disappointed in Revelations when one scene involved mowing down countless Hunters and Lickers. Once formidable foes who made you appreciate scarcely encountering them for they could easily slice your head off in the older games, the Hunters and Lickers had been reduced to machine gun fodder. Couldn't they have just left that crap to the live action movies?

The missteps are not exclusive to Capcom, however. EA dumped on their own promising survival horror franchise, Dead Space, when they reemphasized the multiplayer aspect of the sequel and turned Dead Space 3 into a caricature of the original. But more on that another time... another time.

Edited by AdventCloud7
  • Like 1

Capcom or maybe even gamers themselves have long forgotten that which made the original Resident Evil trilogy so beautiful: Suspense! Real atmospheric suspense having nothing to do with whether you'll be able to fire 20 more rounds into an enemy before he wastes you and forces you to restart at the previous checkpoint, losing 5 oh so precious minutes of progress. That stuff's fine for people who prefer action games—just don't try to turn an established survival horror franchise like Resident Evil/Biohazard into the next Call of Duty. What the hell, man?

The producers once explained that they're trying to appease two factions of fans: those who prefer the old-school style of gameplay which RE1-3 and CV offered, and those who prefer the newer over-the-shoulder, faster-paced style introduced in RE4, a game that served as an introduction to the series for many of the younger fans, especially. 

But in their futile attempt, Capcom has truly bludgeoned RE to death with their failed experimentation only to witness the franchise reanimate into the abomination that it has become. Revelations was lightyears better than RE6 but it's still a mediocre game, regardless of whichever genres it tries to spread itself across. Yet, it was praised by so many. Baffling since it's neither a top tier action game nor a top tier survival horror game, precisely because of trying to appeal to EVERYONE.

I was so disappointed in Revelations when one scene involved mowing down countless Hunters and Lickers. Once formidable foes who made you appreciate your scarce encounters with them for they could easily slice your head off in the older games, the Hunters and Lickers had been reduced to machine gun fodder. Couldn't they have just left that crap to the live action movies?

The missteps are not exclusive to Capcom, however. EA dumped on their own promising survival horror franchise, Dead Space, when they reemphasized the multiplayer aspect of the sequel and turned Dead Space 3 into a caricature of the original. But more on that another time... another time.

all of this is very true, i also hate the horror + action mash-up of Revelations, made even worse with the heavy The Last of Us influence that the sequel got (which obviously wasn't even 1% as good as TLOU) and the final product was repulsive. at least games like RE5 are defined as action and you don't have that weird mixture of genres from the Revelations series.

i'm also afraid on how they will handle the RE2 remake, giving that shinji mikami isn't on capcom anymore, i'm afraid that it will end up being another Revelations too :/

RE4 is the game that doomed the series forever, now capcom are never going to get rid of the action elements because they are afraid to lose sales, so no more fixed camera angles, no more ink ribbons and typewriters, no more hard puzzles, and hello to punching and kicking enemies, hello throwing hand grenades, hello checkpoints everywhere so if you die then meh, etc...

Edited by smellslikejavier

I thought the challenge modes (time trial, invisible enemies) of Revelations 2 added a little something that was otherwise missing. I didn't hate the game but it left me feeling cold for sure.

I also enjoyed RE6 in a sort of ironic so-bad-it's-good way. It's absolutely not a game I could see most people deriving a ton of enjoyment out of without the co-op mode, but with co-op it's a decent killfest. Honestly if RE were to focus on the co-op and just never again have the pretense of survival horror I wouldn't even be that upset. I don't have a lot of confidence that they'll be able to replicate what made the earlier games great, even for the RE2 remake, and there are few enough great co-op titles on the market today that it's almost more promising to do that instead of pretending to be something that you no longer are.