Sleeping Dogs - Worth your time?

AlteredFormula

You know how some games get over-hyped before release? On very rare occasions, the opposite happens and I honestly feel that Sleeping Dogs falls into this category.

If you're into your sandbox / open world games and been wondering about getting it, pick it up. Not too many people are singing about it because it doesn't really do anything new. Everything that it does though, it does really well and its a great little story in there, especially the last hour or so.

This game has done the impossible, I actually want to continue to play it after finishing the main story. Which for those of you that know me, that means I must really enjoy it.

All I want now is some mission based DLC... Please?!!!

• Like 4

I adore the game. I originally thought it was going to be a cheap GTA clone, and while it is to an extent it is also much more than that. The story is very good but the combat was the best part of the game, in my opinion. Very fluid and brutal and it worked really well in every situation. My only complaint is the story felt like it ended too fast but that was probably because I enjoyed it so damn much.

This is definitely one of my favorite games of the year. I can't decide if I like this or Transformers: Fall of Cybertron more...

Parker

I'm with you on this one. I eagerly await any DLC for the game to keep playing it.

I love that the game rides more on martial arts then gun fights.. and that the reasoning for it is true to the culture. ZERO GUN TOLERANCE in hong kong, aside from cops.

The only think I can complain about with this game is that it was over too soon.

I adore the game. I originally thought it was going to be a cheap GTA clone, and while it is to an extent it is also much more than that. The story is very good but the combat was the best part of the game, in my opinion. Very fluid and brutal and it worked really well in every situation. My only complaint is the story felt like it ended too fast but that was probably because I enjoyed it so damn much.

This is definitely one of my favorite games of the year. I can't decide if I like this or Transformers: Fall of Cybertron more...

Parker

If Parker thinks it's good then it's a damn good... Can't wait for this 2 arrive. Heard many good reviews

Looking into getting this... BUT, I'm wondering whether a full $59.99 price is worth it? I'm tired of paying for games that don't live up to its $59.99 price tag... It does have everything that interest me though. An undercover cop story, a different location, different culture, and has gameplay from all the 'big' hits.

Looks like I'm in a minority. I played the demo and thought the game felt clunky so I passed on it. Playing L.A. Noire right now, and the fighting there is much smoother, and it's not even a big element to the game. Maybe I should give it a second look, but Res. Evil 6 is on the way, so I probably won't.

The only issue I had with the game was the length. It didn't feel like the story was long enough and while there are many races and other activities to do after the main story I was still wanting more. That may be because the main story was just so damn fun that no matter how long it was I'd want more. It was easily worth $60 to me but the length may be enough of an issue for others to keep from paying full price.

Parker

The only issue I had with the game was the length. It didn't feel like the story was long enough and while there are many races and other activities to do after the main story I was still wanting more. That may be because the main story was just so damn fun that no matter how long it was I'd want more. It was easily worth $60 to me but the length may be enough of an issue for others to keep from paying full price.

Parker

I'd agree with this, that's the only slight downside, but it shouldn't dissuade you from getting the game. With this knowledge, you can pad the game out with the side missions as you go along.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this a couple of days ago and it's a really good game. It took me about 3 hours of play to really get into it and now I'm hooked!

Better than saints row 3 and dare I say better than gta4!?

I'll wait till I've completed it to decide that ;-)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

its free on playstation plus right now, definately worth getting it, i thought itd be gta but worse but it really isnt. It has its own aspects that are better that gta such as the combat and the location/culture is excellent. Plus it has some fun qwerks such as hitting people with fishes.. :) 

• 4 weeks later...