Do you guys buy games to platinum it? or you just buy it because you like it? or both?

viiiezz

While I'm sure there are many people who do (although most probably just rent those games) I have never bought or played a game based on its trophy list. I sound like a broken record I'm sure because I repeat this all the time, but I play games for enjoyment and not to boost my e-peen so there is no way in hell I'll spend quality gaming time (let alone money) playing games I dislike for trophies.

Parker

• Like 4

I always buy games because I like them. They are usually a sequel to a series I already like or is something that I did research on and was intrigued by. If I want games just for trophies, I use GameFly. There were a few instances where I got some games just because the trophy list seemed easy and I struck gold and found some good games. There were a few games that were kinda meh like Duke Nukem Forever and Splatterhouse. Shadows of the Damned was a really good one that I rented. I was kind of mad at myself and kept thinking that I should have bought it instead.

I buy games that I enjoy to play with every intention to platinum them.

ytx.png

Last platinum's: Splinter Cell HD | inFamous 2 | Sly 1 | Trine 1 & 2 | SSX | Battlefield 3 | Rage

Last 100%'s: Voodoo Dice | Hamster Ball | VF5 Final Showdown | BTTF Episodes 1-5

Currently playing: Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow HD

Well I buy the games because I want, but when I got the PS Plus and the games were free. Let's play it. The only I liked I finished the trophies. So now I sgtill have sonic and majin to finish but I love WWE'12 so the Trophy Hunter BrunoBomb is locked up in a cage until December because me and my brother will be in school so We have to stop, because of him.

Both for sure...

I usually do research on games before i buy them and i will almost always TRY for the platinum... but if i play through a game and it has zero replay value then why would i put myself through the pain of getting that platinum? (unless it only takes a couple hours of gameplay for the cleanup)

Life is too short... why play for a platinum if you aren't having fun doing it? Isn't that whey we play games? for fun? I think gaming has become Trophies and Achievements instead of just playing for fun... don't get me wrong, i have fallen into the trap myself... but now i stick to mostly JRPGs and trophies are few and far between and i am loving every minute of it!

• Like 3

Both, but techincally because I like them. I get all the quick platinums from Gamefly. I have yet to run out of fun platinums to get, but I suspect I'll turn to boring games after I've finished all the good ones. I've already gotten 26 platinums in the 8.5 months I've had a PS3. I should run out within the next year unless college suddenly requires more work.

I mainly stick to purchasing/renting games that I think I will enjoy or appeal to me. I keep my GameFly subscription going for the "try it out" and easier games. Even on those, I stick to games that seem like they would be a good time for me. For example, I don't enjoy racing games so I will probably never pick up Cars or Cars 2 from GameFly. I don't see how I could/would enjoy Hannah Montana's game and will never try it out either. For me, there must be a degree of interest.

I have morphed from an old-fashioned gamer to a Platinum Hunter and completion whore since the introduction to trophies though. The trophies give me purpose... prior to trophies, I would be satisfied with just finishing a game on Easy and would quickly get bored with games. Now (with trophies), I have replay value and goals to strive for while gaming; it gives me what I was missing in gaming before :D

Don't get me wrong, I like to run around wreaking havoc, shooting people, driving crazy, blowing shit up, and just having fun.... it just gets boring and pointless when there's no "goal" to strive for (for me anyway) so trophies have given me that missing element.

• Like 1

I would say both. I get games I know I'll enjoy and think I can get the platinum. There have been a few exception's were i have but a few cheap games and didn't bother with getting all the trophies. I have also bought a few games were I doubt I'll ever get the plat but do enjoy playing like Gran Turismo 5.

Like Bmj above me said I have a gamefly for the try it out games and ones that I think I could get the plat in them quickly and enjoy doing so.

I buy games because I want to play them and enjoy the experience. I don't buy games just for the trophies.... although a trophy list has caused me to NOT buy a game because I don't want to do some of the things required for a platinum -- e.g. excessive online content for what I prefer to be a single-player experience. It is somewhat important to myself to platinum every game I play, but that's more the consequence of character flaws than anything else. Frankly, I don't really care what other people think of my purchasing and playing habits.

I will never buy/rent a game just for a cheap/easy Platinum. My time is too valuble to waste in that fashion, and I'd prefer to save my money for things that actually matter to me.

I'm sorry, but the idea of buying a game simply because of the trophies is absolutely ridiculous to me. I mean, I understand trophy hunting in games I enjoy, but would I play ANY game just to have a few more trophies? Of course not. I have to admit though, once I caught myself checking the trophy list of a game I was thinking of getting and ALMOST making the decision not to buy the game because the trophies were a pain in the ass. That's when I thought - 'Wait a minute, what is this nonsense? You're gonna pass up a good game because your trophy list somewhere on the internet will be a little less than perfect?!'

Here's a novel concept: I buy games because I want to play them!

• Like 4