Some advice and ways to motivate myself as a new trophy hunter

CyberC-2

Hello!

I have decided to take up trophy hunting and I am new to it.

My old account had like 69 games with Es or something it was horrible and I want to try hunting trophies for fun.

Any advice you could give me?

I also was wondering if anyone could give me advice about this: I have issues concentrating on game, my old account shown that. I don't know what it is because I LOVE games. I love playing them and I want to, I don't force myself to... but I lose interest so quickly, people say how for eg. Fallout 4 was a wonderful journey filled with many secrets

Me: meh... it was okay for 3 hours... nothing special

I am not sure if I am playing the wrong games, am I having too high expectations... am I just idk really. I just can't capture myself into games anymore and play one for 9 hours straight screaming ''OMG ITS AMAZING!!!!!!!'' and not being able to go to sleep.

I do suffer from some mental problems which cause me to have a bad attention span and to not do a one thing for a long time... so yeah... but I don't know how I could fight that.

Edited by Blanc
  • Like 1

I think a great way to start is to pick a particular game that you really enjoy to play, and which you'd really enjoy to 100% complete, and aim for earning the Platinum trophy in that game, or at least many of the smaller trophies in its list. You don't need to rush it through, or binge it for hours/days/etc and refuse to play anything else until you have it completed, but I personally think the best way to get into trophy hunting is to get a taste of the "thrill" of earning a Platinum or a small hoard of achievements. And what better place to start in that regard than a game you're already passionate about, trophies aside?

Edited by CediFonei
  • Like 1

I think a great way to start is to pick a particular game that you really enjoy to play, and which you'd really enjoy to 100% complete, and aim for earning the Platinum trophy in that game, or at least many of the smaller trophies in its list. You don't need to rush it through, or binge it for hours/days/etc and refuse to play anything else until you have it completed, but I personally think the best way to get into trophy hunting is to get a taste of the "thrill" of earning a Platinum or a small hoard of achievements. And what better place to start in that regard than a game you're already passionate about, trophies aside?

The issue is as I described, I cannot find a game I am passionate about and would keep playing everyday.

I tend to pick up a number of games at once based on my mood but I try to keep it to one of each genre, so for example, currently I have:

JRPG - Persona 4 Golden

Racing - Driveclub

Visual Novel - Danganronpa 2

FPS/TPS - Just finished The Order: 1886

Indie/Other - Nothing ATM

It's important that you create your own goals that mean something to you.  For me, I am trying to cut down my backlog because historically I've been really bad about buying games and not finishing them.  This means I don't try to platinum every game that I play.  I consider a game finished when I beat the story and if I really liked it / if the platinum looks reasonable to get, then I'll worry about platting the game.  But like I said, find a goal that means something to you and don't worry about switching games up, but try to keep the same games in rotation so they actually get finished.  Also, don't be afraid to take a game out of the rotation if you're really not enjoying it.  No reason to spend your free time doing something you don't enjoy.

*Edit* Another motivator for me is to finish games so I can take them off my HDD (or more specifically my limited Vita memory) to make room for more games.  You can also abstain from buying new games until you finish old ones (if you have the willpower to do so; I do not).

Edited by Komrade_Konrad
  • Like 2

I have decided to take up trophy hunting and I am new to it.

My old account had like 69 games with Es or something it was horrible and I want to try hunting trophies for fun.

Any advice you could give me?

I would focus on *why* you want to hunt trophies. I would also try to determine which part of it you are convinced is "fun."

Also, some clarification since you didn't explain it. Does that mean you want to hunt Platinums? That you want to 100% every game you start? These all change what kind of planning you'll need to do to fulfill your dream of being a trophy hunter.

Only when you can definitive answer those two can you move into trophy hunting. Then make sure you research the games that match both whatever has convinced you trophy hunting is "fun" and gives you the reward you're expecting in "why" you're trophy hunting.

I would focus on *why* you want to hunt trophies. I would also try to determine which part of it you are convinced is "fun."

Also, some clarification since you didn't explain it. Does that mean you want to hunt Platinums? That you want to 100% every game you start? These all change what kind of planning you'll need to do to fulfill your dream of being a trophy hunter.

Only when you can definitive answer those two can you move into trophy hunting. Then make sure you research the games that match both whatever has convinced you trophy hunting is "fun" and gives you the reward you're expecting in "why" you're trophy hunting.

I want to hunt trophies because I have issues with staying with a game.

I spend huge amounts of money on games, sometimes £54 x 3 in 2 weeks.... because I buy games and can't play them to the end. I don't know why as I said I love playing games... it is just none of them capture me. So one of the reasons is actually to enjoy them more and not drop them... this also connects with my mental problems, my mental problems cause me to drop many things in life and not be able to concentrate on a single thing so i guess I want to help myself there too... it is one of the reasons I am getting a PS Vita, I spend most of my time sitting down or lying down and not wanting to stand up and walk up to my PS4 because I feel depressed... so having a PS Vita would let me actually play games more often and I heard there is a streaming option from PS4 to PS Vita.

I don't want to plat every game... some games for me will be impossible to plat so I guess, I would like if each game was on a A rank and to at least complete it but if the platinum isn't too hard I do want to hunt it.

I tend to pick up a number of games at once based on my mood but I try to keep it to one of each genre, so for example, currently I have:

JRPG - Persona 4 Golden

Racing - Driveclub

Visual Novel - Danganronpa 2

FPS/TPS - Just finished The Order: 1886

Indie/Other - Nothing ATM

It's important that you create your own goals that mean something to you.  For me, I am trying to cut down my backlog because historically I've been really bad about buying games and not finishing them.  This means I don't try to platinum every game that I play.  I consider a game finished when I beat the story and if I really liked it / if the platinum looks reasonable to get, then I'll worry about platting the game.  But like I said, find a goal that means something to you and don't worry about switching games up, but try to keep the same games in rotation so they actually get finished.  Also, don't be afraid to take a game out of the rotation if you're really not enjoying it.  No reason to spend your free time doing something you don't enjoy.

*Edit* Another motivator for me is to finish games so I can take them off my HDD (or more specifically my limited Vita memory) to make room for more games.  You can also abstain from buying new games until you finish old ones (if you have the willpower to do so; I do not).

Thanks for the advice. The idea of having a game for each genre is great tbh I like it and will try it out.

I have a JRPG already, a kinda battle smashing game I guess, rhythm game and another rpg lmao but I mostly play rpgs... good things they are varied and one doesn't involve a lot of fighting from what I have been playing lately.

I will try to do a rotation so I actually finish the games... I will probably start reading the description more before buying it... well I read the description but actually researching it way more than usually. I could create a goal for myself, I think a reasonable one is to complete/plat 5 games by the end of this year.

I think having the willpower to not buy games is huge lmao.

How about starting with an RPG that has a hero with similar personality as you have? Or with an RPG that lets you create a character you are/ you want to be? I don't think you would lose interest in those games, since you could identify yourself with the character and therefore care about the story and the world around you. Just an idea : )

How about starting with an RPG that has a hero with similar personality as you have? Or with an RPG that lets you create a character you are/ you want to be? I don't think you would lose interest in those games, since you could identify yourself with the character and therefore care about the story and the world around you. Just an idea : )

unfortunately I have a weird thing about that... if they give me a default changeable name... I feel I can't change it and that the name is the characters name. That's why link in my games is always Link.

Either pick a game you really enjoy and would be proud of (for me it was Witcher 3) or pick a super easy game, just to platinum, then feel awesome when you start seeing the numbers improved.

Don't stress too much if you struggle with a trophy, move on to a different game for a bit :)

Oh and don't forget to have fun!

Edited by Captain_Earink

I would mix it up with some great single player stuff like the Uncharted collection or Assassin's Creed Syndicate, then throw in some real easy stuff like Never Alone or Nebula just to break it up and give you trophies while maintaining your interest. Breaking up longer games with quick easy ones would help the gaming stay fresher and you might not stagnate on any one game at a time. If depression sets in, just take a step back and do something else. Hopefully that will help keep your mind stimulated enough to come back to the game and carry on playing it instead of leaving it unplayed. 

I want to hunt trophies because I have issues with staying with a game.

Blanc, I am in the exact same boat as you. I started as a trophy hunter late with 100 games that I never got platinum trophy on. What I did was originally look at games I liked that I had close. The first two being Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Rocket League. I knocked those out. Then I decided to go into the Advice the Person Above You On What Game to Platinum Next thread and they suggested I knock out Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. And so I am.

It's fun when you get with the community to trophy hunt. If I can help you in any way, I'd be more than happy to! 

Edited by Tearraven