Vigor vs Vitality

GJ4E-

What's up guys, I'd like to get your opinion on this subject. After some research I got a variety of answers but nothing really reliable. Which stat would be more beneficial if focused as a SL120 PVPer? I run UGS Build which require a big equip load, but I also rely on hyper armor which means being able to take hits. Is vitality even worth the defense bonus or should I go straight to vigor?

I would also like to know how you guys use these stats on your builds, thanks

Personally, I haven't leveled up my vitality even a level. I used broadsword, sunshield and Lotric Knight armor set and due to my high vigor I didn't have any problem at all.
In my opinion vigor matters more I mean even with an average set of armor you don't die after one or two shots. 

Generally you're likely going to want more Vigor, like you said if you are wanting to rely on the hyper armor  and with the current poise there is little benefit to slogging super heavy armor in this game, being more mobile in that sense works better.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing Dark Souls for a long time (since Dark Souls 1 on PS3) and quite frankly, I never care much for the guy in full Harvey armor with giant weapons.  If I see one with heavy weapon, s/he is pretty much a dead one.  It's the naked one with a dagger that I fear.  So light and fast is better than tank. 

I disagree that one is better than the other. I think it all comes down to personal preference. If I were to attempt being naked with a dagger, I would get killed faster than I could blink. I'm more comfortable with my tankish build and, although I'm not as good as the people who've been balls deep in this franchise since Demon Souls, I'm not too shabby. When I'm faced with a naked, or lighter, even, player, with a dagger or other light weapon, I maintain patience. But, I suppose if I were to practice at being some other type of build (in your example, being naked with a dagger), eventually I'd get good at playing with that build, just like my current tank build. 

I disagree that one is better than the other. I think it all comes down to personal preference. If I were to attempt being naked with a dagger, I would get killed faster than I could blink. I'm more comfortable with my tankish build and, although I'm not as good as the people who've been balls deep in this franchise since Demon Souls, I'm not too shabby. When I'm faced with a naked, or lighter, even, player, with a dagger or other light weapon, I maintain patience. But, I suppose if I were to practice at being some other type of build (in your example, being naked with a dagger), eventually I'd get good at playing with that build, just like my current tank build. 

Of course, you are right!  With training or battlefield experience, a tank can be deadly too.  I should have chosen my words carefully.  Next time, I would say "IMO", or "based on my personal experience".

I remember back before the game was even released outside Japan, I tried to make a guess about what kind of stats I'd go for with my character.

Important, this is for PvE, not PvP!!

I think what I wanted was a dex + pyro/magic build. This allows for decent physical attack, pyro/magic attack, ranged, close combat, cheap bow tactics, shield if I need extra defense while attacking etc etc. :)

I've still not played the game, but I know for a fact that I'd go for 40 endurance, because this stat actually grows faster and faster before 40, but after that stops, and a lot of stamina is usually key to victory for many a build, except maybe for some very specialized builds and strictly magic etc.

Health? Who needs that? You're not supposed to take damage. You usually want to be able to survive one attack if you mess up, but not much more than that. So invest in Vigor as you see fit, first playthrough usually gets a bit easier with more HP, but later playthrough, as I said, one hit is all you should be able to take, if that. If you aren't good at avoiding attacks and being strategic, then shield is often going to be your friend. If shield is important to you, then spear is often too, because you can attack with it with shield up. I know they've nerfed the spear more and more, making it slower and weaker, so you may instead want a good katana.

When doing a dex build, you want high dex, obviously. You should get it to 40, and after that up to 59 is just optional depending on if you got extra to spare.

Depending on what kind of shield you wanna use, should be 100% physical resistant and maybe high magic and pyro, if not max etc, depends on your enemy, you need to meet the required str stat. Usually around 18-25 or something.

A dex build don't need heavy armor, you want to be as light as possible, but this is made easier with higher equip load. Vit is good here, but don't invest more than you really need, as long as you can fast roll with the equipment you got, no point in investing more into this stat.

For the kind of build I describe, faith is pretty useless, unless you want to use a specific miracle or boost pyromancy a bit.

Depending on how much you want to use magic and pyro, and meet various requirements or whatever, you want to boost intelligence a bit. But we're talking in the range of 25-40.

Luck is almost useless, unless there's some kind of specific reason you want to invest in this, don't. Start with a class that has invested the least amount in this and the most in the stats you're definitely going to invest in.

I'm sure there's poison arrows in this game too. If something is too hard, use a "thief's ring" (you have lower aggro range, so enemies must be closer to actually see you) and a good bow with long range. Or just arrows in general. This can easily be to weaken or even kill hard enemies. Cheap as f***, but whatever.

Edited by MMDE

As I said, is almost useless, unless there's some kind of specific reason you want to invest in it, don't.

What you link me to is a luck build, a specific reason to invest in luck. If you aren't using this one and maybe a couple of other weapons, then I'm guessing it is pretty damn useless?

Edited by MMDE

I dumped 45 into vitality so I can look like a character out of the Mad Max movies while brandishing either the greatsword or the Dragonslayer Axe. I'm slow, yes. Maybe a little. But I think I look good doing it. :P

Honestly after playing for a while I ended up choosing Vitality just to wear the best looking armor sets while also being able to grip a UGS. Gundyr set with DS chestpiece with the FUME is as good as it gets!

• Like 1