No Man's Sky delayed to August

ShadowStar83x

Meh..... seems like it's one of those games that appeals only to a certain style of gamer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle...f_player_types

Quote:

Explorers

Explorers, dubbed "Spades" for their tendency to dig around, are players who prefer discovering areas, creating maps and learning about hidden places. They often feel restricted when a game expects them to move on within a certain time, as that does not allow them to look around at their own pace. They find great joy in discovering an unknown glitch or a hidden easter egg.

Single-player appeal to the Explorer
Combat and gaining levels or points is secondary to the Explorer, so they traditionally flock to games such as Myst and its four sequels. In these games, you find yourself in a strange place, and the objective is to find your way out by paying close attention to detail and solving puzzles. The Explorer will often enrich themselves in any back story or lore they can find about the people and places in-game. Whereas an Achiever may forget about previous games as soon as they've conquered them, the Explorer will retain rich memories about what they experienced about their adventures.

Contrary to what some may expect, Explorers can enjoy restrictive games as well as permissive ones. The challenge in such a game is to get it to do something its programmers probably didn't intend for it to do; gamers who share a high Explorer percentage with a high Achiever one will often be the ones who set unusual objectives for themselves (like completing the game within a certain amount of time, under certain restrictions, or in a certain order) to put the tricks they've gathered to use.

Multi-player appeal to the Explorer
The Explorer benefits much the same way as the Achiever does in the massively multi-player environment, as they are surrounded by people who will benefit from their wisdom. They often meet other Explorers and can swap experiences, and most often, Socializers do not mind listening either. Interaction with Killers is usually (though not always) negative, as hostile Killers would interfere with exploration. Most mainstream MMORPGs offer Explorers plenty of lore and rich characters to delve into. However, Explorers will often quickly become bored with any particular MMORPG when they feel it has become a chore to play, with only more of the same ahead. This is of course true to some extent of all gamers, but Explorers can be notoriously fickle, abandoning a popular game within mere weeks while spending months or years delving deeply into a less-popular one.

A game getting delayed is better than being rushed and released too early, but it's been delayed numerous times now, and I just hope it doesn't affect the eventual quality. Granted, Uncharted 4 was also incredibly postponed and turned out to be just fine, but I think we all knew they couldn't screw that up. This is an already overly ambitious IP that will turn out to be either a groundbreaking, fantastic game or less-than-we-were-promised disappointment. I'm holding my breath for this one...

• Like 1

Meh..... seems like it's one of those games that appeals only to a certain style of gamer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle...f_player_types

I've got a couple of things against that:

- Aren't all games more appealing to a certain style of gamer? Someone who only likes shooters won't soon start Hohokum.

- That piece seems to be heavily opinionated, drawing conclusions out of nowhere without giving a source. How are explorers "notoriously fickle"? Why are they automatically more into less popular games?

- The test on which it was based has been criticised by a lot of people for the way the questions are asked.

- Those player types seem to count for MMORPGs, while No Man's Sky definitely is not one. True, you play together with other people but the universe is so vast that you probably won't meet a lot of them, if at all. Contrast MMORPGs where dozens of people are in the same place at once, doing the same quest/fishing/whatever thing.

That being said... Yes, you definitely need the right mindset for this game. If we're talking large games, then sandbox is my favourite genre because of the freedom I get and the many options in exploring a diverse world that I can get lost in. You should not get this game if you want your stories to be linear with clear-cut objectives.