Resident Evil 4 coming to a PS4 near you

Seeing the Resident Evil 5 trophy list, there most definitely won't be a platinum for Resident Evil 4.

like i said in another reply i think that the reason the RE6 and 5's trophy lists are the same is because they are already very complete and nothing needs to be changed or added (for RE5 they changed some requirements in the versus trophies), meanwhile the RE4 needs to be changed and made more complete with more trophies and of course a platinum, if they don't do it then capcom is just lazy.

I wonder if this is going to be a port of the Steam version or just a quick cash grab like the PS3 version... I think I already know the answer ;)

well i thought that the ps3 version was well made, at least when i played it i didn't experienced any problems and didn't felt it was a poorly made version or anything. my only complain was the crappy trophy list but apparently steam got the same one, wish they would put the ps exclusive's platinum this time, if capcom isn't lazy.

Edited by smellslikejavier

well i thought that the ps3 version was well made, at least when i played it i didn't experienced any problems and didn't felt it was a poorly made version or anything. my only complain was the crappy trophy list but apparently steam got the same one, wish they would put the ps exclusive's platinum this time, if capcom isn't lazy.

The PS3 version is probably one of the laziest ports I've seen to date, to be honest. They literally took the GameCube version and *upscaled* it to HD resolution without doing any actual remastering (new textures, lighting, models, menus etc.). So essentially you're still looking at textures and other assets that were meant for a maximum of 480p. Not to mention they didn't bother to redo the prerendered cutscenes. Add to that the occasional framerate and sound issues and you got yourself a quick cash grab, Capcom-style.

Edited by ShadowReplicant

The PS3 version is probably one of the laziest ports I've seen to date, to be honest. They literally took the GameCube version and *upscaled* it to HD resolution without doing any actual remastering (new textures, lighting, models, menus etc.). So essentially you're still looking at textures and other assets that were meant for a maximum of 480p. Not to mention they didn't bother to redo the prerendered cutscenes. Add to that the occasional framerate and sound issues and you got yourself a quick cash grab, Capcom-style.

from what i read they used the Wii version to make the remaster, not the GC version, and i didn't understand what you said about the pre rendered cutscenes? they were on real time on PS3, in the PS2 version they were indeed pre-rendered so no matter what costume you used you will always see leon's normal outfit in the cutscenes, that doesn't happen in the PS3 version. the only outfit that isn't displayed in the cutscenes is the mafia one because it was made as an extra outfit that wasn't in the original GC release (another indicative that they didn't remastered the GC version, same with the other extra weapons that weren't present on the GC, neither the separate ways chapter) and was released on later platforms, it probably wasn't added by the original team so they couldn't or didn't wanted to take all the effort to re-code the cutscenes to include the mafia costume so it only appears during gameplay, but all the other costumes are displayed in the PS3 version's cutscenes.

and like i said i don't remember experiencing any framerate or sound issues, and i'm being honest, if they were there then they were almost unnoticeable since i don't remember having performance issues while playing it.

i don't know if they used the pc ports to make the RE6 and 5 remasters since they now include modes that were previously pc-exclusive, so they might as well port the pc version, and i mean the ultimate not the crappy pc port that they originally made years ago.

from what i read they used the Wii version to make the remaster, not the GC version, and i didn't understand what you said about the pre rendered cutscenes? they were on real time on PS3, in the PS2 version they were indeed pre-rendered.

You're probably right, although the Wii version is a direct port of the GameCube version in terms of graphics. It's basically a combination of the PS2 version (content) and the GameCube version (presentation), plus a new control scheme of course.

Sorry, my bad, I meant the cutscenes in Separate Ways, the main game's cutscenes are rendered in real-time of course.

You're probably right, although the Wii version is a direct port of the GameCube version in terms of graphics. It's basically a combination of the PS2 version (content) and the GameCube version (presentation), plus a new control scheme of course.

Sorry, my bad, I meant the cutscenes in Separate Ways, the main game's cutscenes are rendered in real-time of course.

you're right, but at least until that point every platform had the separate way's cutscenes pre-rendered, because they were originally made as a ps2 exclusive or temporal exclusive and since apparently the ps2 couldn't handle them in real time they were all pre-rendered, so i don't know if the original team still had the original code so they could make them on real time for later re-releases.

since i didn't played and don't plan to play the ultimate edition on pc because it will probably run like shit or not run at all in my current pc are the cutscenes of separate ways on real time there?

since i didn't played and don't plan to play the ultimate edition on pc because it will probably run like shit or not run at all in my current pc are the cutscenes of separate ways on real time there?

Unfortunately, no. I don't think a reason was ever given by Capcom, they'd obviously need to rerender all the cutscenes in real-time and that costs money which they're apparently unwilling to spend.

Even the Ultimate HD Edition isn't perfect, but its strength lies in its updated textures and 1080p / 60 fps performance. I don't think that's too much to ask from a potential PS4 version, but as I said, I don't think this is worth the effort to Capcom.

Edited by ShadowReplicant

Unfortunately, no. I don't think a reason was ever given by Capcom, they'd obviously need to rerender all the cutscenes in real-time and that costs money which they're apparently unwilling to spend.

Even the Ultimate HD Edition isn't perfect, but its strength lies in its updated textures and 1080p / 60 fps performance. I don't think that's too much to ask from a potential PS4 version, but as I said, I don't think this is worth that much effort to Capcom unfortunately.

well the RE6 PS4 version is at 1080p and 60fps, i assume RE5 will be at that resolution and fps too since is an older game, so i don't see why capcom couldn't port the ultimate hd edition in that case, i think they probably will.

Resident Evil 4 really doesn't need anymore trophies though. 

it actually does, the game has many more potential trophies instead of just adding those related to the storyline, they can make many more trophies out of it like buy all weapons, upgrade them all, defeat X amount of enemies, defeat certain bosses in a limited time or using only certain weapons, beat the game in a limited time, don't use X items in the entire game, do the secondary quest of the merchant and earn the "special weapon", unlock all the secret weapons, complete the separate ways chapter, complete certain tasks in the mercenaries mini game and unlock all of its maps and characters, etc

RE4 had a lazy and poor trophy list, if they managed to add 45 and 48 trophies to the REmake and RE0 remasters respectively, and on top of that both having a platinum i don't see why they can't make a similar treatment for RE4. they can, but they chose not to so they don't have to do extra work. sadly that will mean less potential sales for them if it doesn't come with a platinum, at least i will not buy it and if i buy it it will be at a very reduced price.

No, actually it doesn't.

Sure, I was annoyed with what they had listed, but then I didn't care because I love the game itself. I play the game to death without trophies.

well that's your opinion, to me it needs them, if older games of the series with presumably less content got a platinum and more than 45 trophies then RE4 needs the same treatment, you might not care but others do.

Resident Evil 4 really doesn't need anymore trophies though. And it's gonna be a port of the Ultimate HD Edition from PC, which has the same achievements as the PS3 version.

Does it need them? No. Would it be nice? Yeah. The same could be said of Code Veronica. It's not like they're lesser games than REmake or RE0make. The list on 360 had the same number of achievements, but it offered 1,000 points. It really does just come down to laziness with the lists, something I can't blame them for because it really doesn't matter much outside of a niche group. I'll still play the game regardless.

• Like 2

Let's not forget the Zeebo version, obscure consoles need love too.

Ah, yes, who can forget "Resident Evil 4: Mobile Edition"? Truly terrifying... for all the wrong reasons.

I heard if you play all release versions of Resident Evil 4 you actually become Leon and get transported into the game.  :o

Confirmed. Will submit your discovery in the respective "Secrets" section for all 25 versions of the game on GameFAQs.   :lol:

Edited by AdventCloud7
  • Like 1

I actually didn't like RE4 from the beginning as the PAL port had horrible letterbox bars, after getting the NTSC version I still thought it wasn't really an RE game. Idk, it's been so long, maybe I might like it.