Why do YOU platinum games?

GHOZTPRIME

I have came across this question before on these forums and I will give the same answer now as I did when I first answered it. I platinum games, because I can. If everyone could do it, then they would do it. (Not saying I am a better gamer or anything along those lines) It all comes down to mindset. I have plenty of people on my friends list that have well over 6,000 trophies but not one single platinum because they do not care to go back and do anything extra in a game. They buy it, play it, sell it. I have the mindset of "I paid $60.00 for this game, I 'm going to get as much enjoyment out of it as possible." The first "bling" sound you hear when popping in a new game is one of the greatest sounds because if you're a trophy hunter like myself, you hear that and think "The first of many." That or else I sometimes think of Shang Tsung from the Mortal Kombat movie "IT HAS BEGUN!" But anyway, I platinum games because I can. Because I like to get full use of the game. Because I like the sound that trophies make. Because I have become highly addicted to trophy hunting. And because I crave the challenges.

Edited by SoapMacTavish222

I always liked 100%-ing my games way before trophies came along. So, when they did, they were just one more thing to unlock.

The thing I like the most about trophies is that they act as a sort of "to-do list" for games, so in most cases, when you get the Platinum trophy, that means you've unlocked everything there was to unlock in the game and explored it to its fullest.

Sometimes, the trophy list will be lenient and not "force" you to get everything there is to get in a game, but in those cases, I just go beyond the trophies and do it anyway.

Though this only applies to games I like, of course. If I'm trying out a game and find I don't like it, couldn't possibly care less about the trophies or anything else about it, for that matter. I just hide the trophy list and never touch the game again.

I do hate this recent trend of online trophies, though. I get that it's the online age and stuff, but some people just want to play like they did on their old PS2 - offline. Online trophies mean that you now stopped depending only on yourself to get the platinum - and some of those trophies can be pretty hellish/grindy/boring. Not to mention, if the population dies out, or worse, the servers are closed, you're left unable to platinum the game forever. Want to make online modes? I'm all for it. Just don't force us to play them to get the platinum.

I agree got back into gaming in 2011, and many older games have dead servers or major cheese. I plat for a few reasons:

1. The sound of trophies popping (don't judge me)

2. A sense of accomplishment

3. Trophies can verify stories (used to hate the guys who said they beat every game I have, but kept dying when playing at my crib)

4. Kinda OCD about not having 100% on a list. If it wasn't there it wouldn't bother me, but it is so it does

I initially started collecting platinum trophies as a way to save money and spend less on video games, basically squeeze more value out of them.  That and I had a running competition at work with a co-worker for bragging rights on who could get what trophy, etc.  Over time collecting these achievements I discovered something unique about the process of getting a platinum in that you are required to completely master a video game at the highest difficulty settings-I found this changed my experience of the game, made it riskier, more immersive and rewarding.  This may sound strange but I compare it to sports on some level, when you have the platinum at stake you feel a greater sense of urgency and awareness that makes you feel more alive when playing the game.

I played Metal Gear Solid 2 on extreme mode for the platinum recently, I found the higher difficulty made me appreciate the game infinitely more and I discovered techniques, exploits, and tricks in it that I never would have just playing the game and slouching through it on a normal playthrough.

I definitely will never forget taking on 25 Metal Gear Rays in that climactic battle near the end of the game, the most intense boss fight I've played through to date, but again it was more rewarding because of the higher difficulty.

• Like 1

Why everything always must have a reason? Why something cant be "just for fun"? You and me are playing the same game. I put just more time into it. And it costs me nothing additional, just time. So, there is nothing wrong anyway. Also, it feels pretty good to bring something to the end :) ... Well my profile looks currently a bit messed up, because new Vitamemory and stuff... and no mood because its too hot outside... and inside xD

I mean, others hang the whole day on Facebook or are playing silly social/mobile-games ... When this is fun for them, well, then its okay, right? :)

But when the guy next to me in the tram tells his girlfriend, that also is playing that game on her mobile, that he bought ingamecurrency worth 50€ ... well uhm, maybe he really has a problem. But maybe Im just too ... conservative. xD Im also not thaaat into DLCs. Im buying just this one that have trophies and play generally not many "Blockbuster".

geez, I drifted away from topic... uhm... Yeah, as said, Im platinum games for fun ^_^ I dont care for competition, rankings, ePenis or however. (Seriously, I HATE multiplayer, it would be superunlogical when I would do it for competition xD)

• Like 1

Only recently started hunting trophies and I get some sort of satisfaction out of them, knowing that I've accomplished mostly everything there is to do in the game. I've also recently come into the mindset of trying to finish a game, and Plat it if possible, before buying or starting a new game.