Why do YOU platinum games?

GHOZTPRIME

I platinum games to drive me to play them, to get my moneys worth out of them.

to challenge myself.

to waste a lot of time.

to build a profile and have something to be proud of.(just recently that is)

rarely just because I like the game that much. (any fallout and the last of us)

its odd these days, at least for me.. I don't really "have fun" playing games anymore... but I do enjoy doing the activity. does that make sense?

• Like 1

Last but not least, if you're reading this don't get offended. I'm just trying to pass a message that trophies are a waste of time, one day when you have no time you'll look back and ask yourself why did you play for trophies when your backlog was full of good games you skiped because the servers were closed, was a difficult platinum, etc.

To be fair this mostly applies to those who only play games they can get 100%s. 

But you're probably right about the masochist thingy. Good thing the trophy hunting world isn't filled with sadists instead :awesome:

• Like 1

Cuz it's fun, dude. It's like a game within a game. You beat the challenges the game throws at you and then you beat the challenges the devs add on to that. Back in the day me and my friends tried to beat RE2 with just a knife because we heard about some Japanese players doing it. Now, stuff like that is common place. It lets me know that I at least tried to experience everything the game had to offer. With some games, just beating it allows you to see only 40% of what the game has to offer. What about the other 60%?

I think it all started with the Rare games on the SNES and N64, there was just something so satisfying about getting 100% (or more) in games like Donkey Kong Country or Banjo-Kazooie. Since those days, I always make an effort to complete any game I play. Also, it's just rewarding to know that you've mastered something new!

• Like 1

But why why do you platinum games? They don't really mean anything and you dont really get anything out of plat'ing a game

Why do you go to the movies? Or to a concert? Or a sporting event? You don't really get anything from going to any of them, right?

Oh wait, yes you do! Its for the experience! So what it's not tangible or something you can hold in your hand? Guess what, neither is the internet and here you are posting on an intangible medium about people chasing intangibles.

Isn't it ironic? Doncha think?

• Like 3

1 it's fun

2 makes me feel better about myself

3 fun for me to 100% more games than my friends.

4. Get more out of the game

5. Add replay value to do things I didn't in the frist playthough (if there's tropthies for doing so)

6. Gives me a reason to show of to my mate who lies about 100%ing games.

7. Challenge my self to see if I can beat the game on the harder difficulties.

8. Makes me enjoy the game a little but more.

I've been 100%ing games that I love for almost as long as I've been holding a controller. Getting the platinum is just one more thing on the 100% checklist.

You want to get right down to it, I usually go above and beyond the platinum since they don't always include everything. I probably have 1000 hours in Borderlands 2 and Mass Effect 3. The plats definitely didn't take me that long. I can't even count how many hours I put into Graces F maxing out my gear... No trophy for that.

Honestly, I don't understand the other side of the coin. Why would I even buy a game that's only going to give me one playthrough then sit on my shelf collecting dust?

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 2

Because why not? I find it fun and it gives a real sense of accomplishment. Besides, if I'm not having fun then I will take a break and do something else. I do it for myself.

Plus, it's actually a good teacher for some important life skills - which are patience and that effort goes a long way if you keep at it.

If I enjoyed it and think I could do it, I do it. If I have problems, I don't sweat it. I try to get as many trophies as I can, because I have a natural desire to do everything in games, anyway. Personal accomplishment for me. You don't get anything out of a lot of leisure things in life. This is just for me.

Also I'm a collector. It's fun collecting trophies and seeing my level go up.

• Like 1

Why do we do anything in life? You create or find your own meaning, simple as that.

...As for the matter of PlayStation achievements, there's a few reasons I subscribe to.

• Collecting: I like that they're tiered according to rarity and value; it's more interesting to show off than a generic, lump cheevo count like Xbox's Gamerscore. Still, some people prefer cumulatively bigger numbers, and that's where the Level/Rank on PS comes into play. I do like building up my level. I just think PlayStaiton's system is more nuanced, though you could argue that relative point value on Xbox's system shows how rare that cheevo is as well.
  •  
  • Accomplishment: Trophies *should* test skill, but more often than not, they test patience with tedious grinds, backtracking and whatnot. These are the ones I dislike. Still, the skill based ones give a sense of accomplishment.
  •  
  • Appreciation: Many devs don't really respect your time (see: grindy trophies), or are just lazy at implementing achievements, but many achievements do have some thought and fun put into them. It's my way of showing the dev that their hard work is appreciated. It must be discouraging to a developer to see that most people not only do not finish your games, but also don't bother with the effort of seeing and doing all that extra stuff you've laid out for them. 
  •  
  • Value: With a bit of disposable income, you can get a bunch of games on the cheap nowadays, be it mobile, PC, console, retail, digital, whatever. Sure games are just as expensive as ever, but they've also gone down in price faster and steeper than ever before, with more ways to access this content. Despite being able to accumulate a large backlog without much money invested, it's still a good practice in life to really take time out and evaluate just where your money and time is going. In other words, try playing the games you own instead of looking for the next purchase all the time. 
Edited by easterkeke
  • Like 3