How is this game on old generation ?

Its worth getting ? I ear some issues with fps, and long time loadings :/ 

Its on promotion "Legion edition" for ps3

Coming from a person who platted this game....

Don't waste your money on it. Not because it's bad but because the developers who ported this did the unimaginable.... I almost never look at graphics in a game but this .. Well textures don't pop up properly, orcs and warchiefs don't move their lips when they talk, there is always stutter in the game, the game has horrible frame rate issues, hovering below 20 and it gets to even 10 fps..(check digitalfoundry for a fps test on YouTube), there is a loading screen for about 15-20 seconds between each time you exit the menu or the sauron's army menu, there are sound issues where if you get into a fight and finish it, the battle music stays on loop unless you quit to main menu( that's for ps3, idk about Xbox), the nemesis system been dumbed down ..

IMO get it for current gen or PC if your PC can handle otherwise don't bother man. The other versions run hella lot better ad smoother and that's how it was meant to be. Now that my rant is over, in the end it's up to you to decide in the end but that was just my experience :D. Hope that helped.

• Like 2

Allow me to tell my story. I was superhyped for this game, but I didn't have a PS4 back then. So I pre-ordered this game for the PS3. I had to wait a few extra months for the port to PS3. No big deal. But as soon as I inserted the disc... everything went wrong.

1. Graphics were total crap

2. Framerates dropping to 10-15

3. Menu loading times were ridiculously long (like 30 seconds every time)

4. Sound was crap for an hour, then it disappeared completely

5. Textures didn't render at all, so all I could see were plain gray walls

They patched this game over and over, but last I heard it was still barely playable. I would totally recommend the current-gen version (PC, PS4, XBONE), because the last-gen port is a complete money-grab and isn't even a finished product.

I can't believe they ever tested this port once. I've never felt more ripped off by a company than with this port.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I was hoping to stack this game but looks like I will pass.  Thanks to everyone who were honest about how the game is crap on the PS3. I am not prepared to lose another console just because of this. 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a few thoughts on this having just finished playing through both PS3 & PS4 versions of Shadow of Mordor.

I had been sitting on a copy of SoM for PS3 for over a year, having heard how terrible a port it was and not wanting to be stuck in a buggy unfinishable game, but after playing the PS4 version (on my PS5) I thought I'd give it a go as I really enjoyed the game.

Yes, the game looks and sounds like garbage. And yes, it is borderline unplayable - borderline because it may depend on your system. I usually play my PS3 games on a CECH-4202A super slim. The 12GB model, in which I put a brand new 500GB drive. About 3 hours into the game I realised that the game had stopped popping trophies. Nothing I did could fix this. The only other game I have run into problems with on this PS3 was Ratchett & Clank: A Crack in Time, which tanked every time I got to a great clock level (crashed, corrupted my game data and destroyed my save). So after exhausting every idea I had about getting the missing trophies, I turned to Plan B - another system. I uploaded the SoM save file to cloud storage and downloaded it onto the backup PS3, a CECH-3002B Slim 320GB model.

After downloading the save data (and all the game and update data...) I have played the game through to completion. The trophies that hadn't popped did so when I did the requirement again - doing another outcast mission popped the trophy for doing one outcast mission. Opening 4 sword rune slots got me the 3 sword rune slot trophy, etc. I heeded the general advice about the Stinking Rebels trophy so that didn't glitch on me.

The Slim did not enjoy SoM - the disc drive was nearly continuously searching. Load times were terrible. Sound got worse the nearer to the end of the game I got. The sky completely disappeared from Udun at one point. And there were invisible walls in random places throughout the game, so Talion could climb up thin air.

However..  I was pleasantly surprised that the fighting and movement retained the fluidity of the PS4 game - Shadow Strike worked  perfectly at a distance (doing a chain was not so good as PS4 though).

So in conclusion, the thing that made this all bareable was having first played the PS4 version. Knowing how the game works, what to do, where to go etc, made a big difference. Also, if I hadn't had a back up PS3 that the game actually ran on I never would have been able to finish this!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/22/2023 at 6:30 AM, sublime_peel3 said:

I have a few thoughts on this having just finished playing through both PS3 & PS4 versions of Shadow of Mordor.

I had been sitting on a copy of SoM for PS3 for over a year, having heard how terrible a port it was and not wanting to be stuck in a buggy unfinishable game, but after playing the PS4 version (on my PS5) I thought I'd give it a go as I really enjoyed the game.

Yes, the game looks and sounds like garbage. And yes, it is borderline unplayable - borderline because it may depend on your system. I usually play my PS3 games on a CECH-4202A super slim. The 12GB model, in which I put a brand new 500GB drive. About 3 hours into the game I realised that the game had stopped popping trophies. Nothing I did could fix this. The only other game I have run into problems with on this PS3 was Ratchett & Clank: A Crack in Time, which tanked every time I got to a great clock level (crashed, corrupted my game data and destroyed my save). So after exhausting every idea I had about getting the missing trophies, I turned to Plan B - another system. I uploaded the SoM save file to cloud storage and downloaded it onto the backup PS3, a CECH-3002B Slim 320GB model.

After downloading the save data (and all the game and update data...) I have played the game through to completion. The trophies that hadn't popped did so when I did the requirement again - doing another outcast mission popped the trophy for doing one outcast mission. Opening 4 sword rune slots got me the 3 sword rune slot trophy, etc. I heeded the general advice about the Stinking Rebels trophy so that didn't glitch on me.

The Slim did not enjoy SoM - the disc drive was nearly continuously searching. Load times were terrible. Sound got worse the nearer to the end of the game I got. The sky completely disappeared from Udun at one point. And there were invisible walls in random places throughout the game, so Talion could climb up thin air.

However..  I was pleasantly surprised that the fighting and movement retained the fluidity of the PS4 game - Shadow Strike worked  perfectly at a distance (doing a chain was not so good as PS4 though).

So in conclusion, the thing that made this all bareable was having first played the PS4 version. Knowing how the game works, what to do, where to go etc, made a big difference. Also, if I hadn't had a back up PS3 that the game actually ran on I never would have been able to finish this!

This makes me wonder if it's worth getting the game digitally and installing it on an SSD. Although for most games there isn't much of a noticeable benefit with SSDs, some games like Rage and Skyrim are a lot better on an SSD. I may try getting the digital version and see.