madbuk

Madbuk's List of Unfinished Games

356 posts in this topic

LH4ba1e6.jpg

LHa5164c.jpg

Progress Update: #417 - Persona 4: Dancing All Night

1L9a27a6.png

Here is a game I had never expected to be able to play. The UI on this game is atrocious, and the fact that my vision on my left side is limited, it made playing the demo of Persona 3 Dancing practically impossible because I simply wouldn't see any notes on the left side and thus couldn't press them. Some advice I got recently made me go back to that demo, and made the game far more playable - the notes aren't random, they work in a clockwise/anti-clockwise fashion, so that lets me know when to swap my attention to the other side.

Unfortunately, this rule isn't always the case - the one song I tried to play on All Night difficulty was all over the place, and some of the songs on hard had double hold notes that I just had no idea I was supposed to press, but for the most part it's correct and the plat never makes you play All Night, so I didn't have to worry about that. I might try practicing it in the future for fun, like how I regularly return to Miku despite having 100%, but I don't expect to ever clear a song on the highest difficulty.

Initially I was cautiously excited for this game for the story mode - I had heard bad things, but I still liked the idea of there being a story connecting the rhythm gameplay, but now that I've played it... nah. Now I'm excited for Persona 5 which doesn't have that at all - it's so poorly paced (takes at least an hour to get to the first song), very predictable, and just not engaging at all. Some of the voice actors also changed from Golden and this game has taught me that Ashley Burch only has one anime voice, because she sounded identical to Mayurii in Steins;Gate lol.

I'll probably play Persona 5 Royal before diving into 5 Dancing, but vision/UI gripes aside this was still a very enjoyable plat and I'm eager to play more with, imo, a better OST. I'll be skipping 3 because I hear that has spoilers.

Spoiler

PS Now

NEW GAME: Altered Beast [+12] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Genshin Impact [+6] {-37%}

NEW GAME: Persona 4: Dancing All Night [+40] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Tales of Zestiria [+3] {+3%}

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight [42] {Digital}

LHfb3745.jpg

Progress Update: #418 - 2064: Read Only Memories

1L318a69.png

PS+ gave me this game a long, long time ago (October 2018) but I never really bothered looking into it, must've been busy with other games at the time. Recently though I had seen quite a few people praise it, and I wanted an excuse to stop playing Tales of Zestiria, so I decided to download it and try it out. It... ended up being rather lackluster tbh, especially compared to all the hype people had been giving it.

It's not a bad game by any stretch, has some interesting characters, the art is good, the music is excellent, and the plot could be engaging when it's not beating you over the head with entire conversations about operating systems or AI or other electronic-based systems. Those conversations got repetitive and tiring and unfortunately that's almost the entire game, and the main plot gets lost in it a bit and by the end I just didn't really care anymore. It didn't help that I had my save data corrupted at the end of chapter 5 (there are 6 chapters) so I had to redo the entirety of the game. And then you have to do another playthrough on top of that, which had some fun conversational changes (because you're rude to everyone in that run), but the main plot was basically the same overall so it wasn't particularly interesting.

I do wonder whether my thoughts would be a little more positive if the save corruption hadn't necessitated an entire extra playthrough pretty much, but... I doubt they would be, honestly. If this game interests you it's worth at least trying it, because it's not outright bad, but I'd recommend going in with lower expectations than I had.

Spoiler

PS+

NEW GAME: 2064: Read Only Memories [+12] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Genshin Impact [+11] {+39%}

Tales of Zestiria [+7] {+9%}

On 5/22/2021 at 5:12 PM, madbuk said:

It's not a bad game by any stretch, has some interesting characters, the art is good, the music is excellent, and the plot could be engaging when it's not beating you over the head with entire conversations about operating systems or AI or other electronic-based systems. Those conversations got repetitive and tiring and unfortunately that's almost the entire game, and the main plot gets lost in it a bit and by the end I just didn't really care anymore. It didn't help that I had my save data corrupted at the end of chapter 5 (there are 6 chapters) so I had to redo the entirety of the game. And then you have to do another playthrough on top of that, which had some fun conversational changes (because you're rude to everyone in that run), but the main plot was basically the same overall so it wasn't particularly interesting.

I do wonder whether my thoughts would be a little more positive if the save corruption hadn't necessitated an entire extra playthrough pretty much, but... I doubt they would be, honestly. If this game interests you it's worth at least trying it, because it's not outright bad, but I'd recommend going in with lower expectations than I had.

Happy to see another review on 2064 even if it's not a very glowing one. For me it ended up being my 30th platinum milestone back during a time where I was really just starting to get a feel for different games and trying out a variety of genres in general - I too picked it up via PS+ and I'll admit, I outright skipped the vast majority of the dialogue. What I did was follow a trophy guide from a YouTuber called Cheapskate or Die. Bizarrely enough - I think that made me enjoy it more than I would have had I not since the dude was pretty funny while directing tips along the way. For all the games that you'll blaze through and remember little about, what absolutely sticks out in my mind about 2064 is that bizarrely difficult "Threat Neutralized" trophy that you basically HAVE to use your d-pad for as well as "Cardinal of Combat" which was easier but came up much earlier in the game. 

It sucks to hear that your save got corrupted. I remember having that fear that something would bug out during the Iron Rom play-through. Having bugs and glitches can absolutely taint your experience of the game from being "eh I didn't love it but it had a decent vibe, nice music, and wasn't too long" into "I freaking hate this game it's ruining my playing time". Keep up the great work and can't wait to see what you review next!

11 hours ago, realm722 said:

Happy to see another review on 2064 even if it's not a very glowing one. For me it ended up being my 30th platinum milestone back during a time where I was really just starting to get a feel for different games and trying out a variety of genres in general - I too picked it up via PS+ and I'll admit, I outright skipped the vast majority of the dialogue. What I did was follow a trophy guide from a YouTuber called Cheapskate or Die. Bizarrely enough - I think that made me enjoy it more than I would have had I not since the dude was pretty funny while directing tips along the way. For all the games that you'll blaze through and remember little about, what absolutely sticks out in my mind about 2064 is that bizarrely difficult "Threat Neutralized" trophy that you basically HAVE to use your d-pad for as well as "Cardinal of Combat" which was easier but came up much earlier in the game. 

It sucks to hear that your save got corrupted. I remember having that fear that something would bug out during the Iron Rom play-through. Having bugs and glitches can absolutely taint your experience of the game from being "eh I didn't love it but it had a decent vibe, nice music, and wasn't too long" into "I freaking hate this game it's ruining my playing time". Keep up the great work and can't wait to see what you review next!

On the bright side it only takes an hour or two to skip through back to chapter 5, and I didn't have to redo that awful arcade game again lol.

I found the touchpad easier than dpad - dpad/x button didn't feel responsive at all (I even did a stream of me playing the arcade game, and at one point I was spamming x, but you could clearly see on the stream that almost none of those inputs were being recognized.) It really did feel a bit out of place in a game so easy everywhere else.

LH0da442.jpg

Progress Update: #419 - Tales of Zestiria

1L780863.png

This is without a doubt the worst Tales game I have played to completion. Not only is it rather poorly balanced (I ended up having to fight the final boss when he was over 60 levels higher than me... and I had been fighting every mob), it's also just not very interesting. None of the characters stand out as being memorable, the plot feels barebones, and every environment looks pretty much the same. A part of me wishes I hadn't played Berseria already so many years ago, because that one seems to add a lot to this retroactively, but I can only vaguely remember the big connections so that's a bit lost on me.

The plat experience was pretty miserable too - I spent 2 days just running around in circles praying to RNG for my snack trophy to pop, and then there's a bunch of other RNG stuff to do as well. It's easy, it's just a complete slog. This game also features one of the things I hate most about certain JRPGs - if you die, you reload a save. There are some exceptions - most story bosses let you retry, but if you die to a mob or an optional boss, have fun losing potentially hours of progress. It feels so archaic and outdated, shocking that such a thing was still considered okay for a late-gen PS3 game when as far back as PS1 (maybe even earlier) games had autosaving. It's literally just a waste of the player's time for no reason. Some games can do it well - Shadow of the Tomb Raider, for example, which has an emphasis on traps and puzzles. The reload save aspect of that helps add to the tension and danger of it all - but Zestiria isn't like that at all. In Zestiria it's just tedious.

I am very happy to be done with this but god I hope that Arise is actually good. I need a good Tales game to cleanse me after this one.

Spoiler

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Genshin Impact [+2] {+6%}

Tales of Zestiria [+33] {+70%} (COMPLETE!)

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Aragami [52] {PS Now}

NEW GAME: EMMA: Lost in Memories [29] {Digital}

NEW GAME: Gris [18] {Digital}

NEW GAME: Hyper Light Drifter [23] {Digital}

NEW GAME: The Messenger [43] {Digital}

LH6fe03d.jpg

Progress Update: #420 - Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

1Lafc179.png

A very bittersweet completion here. Great game (although I do prefer the first one), but.. also my final Vita game. What an incredible handheld and I'm sad I have to say goodbye to it for now. As for the game, my main problem with it comes from how... over the top it is. Danganronpa 1 had some typical anime tropes but for the most part it was pretty grounded, the characters felt like actual people, and the setting was also better. Here, some characters are just walking anime tropes all the time (Looking at you, Mikan and Teruteru), some of the plot elements are way more out there, and the setting is very bright and vibrant, which is fine, I just prefer the tone the original had.

That said, the trials in this did feel harder which was very nice, and ignoring how over the top this game could be it's still a very engaging story. The bonus minigame modes were pretty bad, but Magical Miracle Girl Monomi wasn't quite as bad as people were hyping it up to be, which was a nice surprise.

Spoiler

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair [+30] {+75%} (COMPLETE!)

Unstarted

NEW GAME: WILL: A Wonderful World [52] {Digital}