Madbuk's List of Unfinished Games

madbuk

LHd33521.jpg

LHb10790.jpg

Progress Update: #432 - Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls

1L27c9f6.png

This is the Danganronpa game I knew the least about going into. I had heard that it's pretty bad, and knew some things about the main villains/cast, but other than that it was relatively blind. Overall... it might actually be my favourite? Sure, the combat is very basic, but it's functional and satisfying and what more do you need really. There's just a certain vibe this game had, walking a fine line between feeling cheap and feeling big budget, that works really well. I can't put into words just how cozy it felt to play.

The story is surprisingly dark. I realize that Danganronpa 1 and 2 weren't exactly rays of sunshine and happiness, but there were certain parts of this one where I was questioning how this game didn't get outright banned, it gets so messed up. It's well written though, and nothing felt like out of place shock value, it all served a purpose. The bonus tie-in novel wasn't as engaging as Danganronpa IF was in Danganronpa 2, but it was still fairly solid.

To say more would be going into spoilers but this is definitely not a game you should overlook if you enjoyed the first two Danganronpa games, even if it does have completely different gameplay.

Spoiler

PS+ Titles

NEW GAME: Limbo [+13] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls [+36] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Genshin Impact [+2] {+3%}

Killzone Shadow Fall [+2] {+3%}

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madbuk said:

The story is surprisingly dark.

I played that one after 1 and 2 as well and although the premise behind those 2 games was dark, but this one took it to another level and there was no random joyous moments or distractions.

Also idk how they got away with the part at the end of the train, chapter 3 I think?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

I played that one after 1 and 2 as well and although the premise behind those 2 games was dark, but this one took it to another level and there was no random joyous moments or distractions.

Also idk how they got away with the part at the end of the train, chapter 3 I think?

If you mean the motivational part yeah that was chapter 3. Insane.

• 4 weeks later...

LH499e74.jpg

LH2a825b.jpg

Progress Update: #433 - Metro: Last Light

1L82d470.png

I really wasn't a fan of this one. I want to give it the benefit of the doubt and say that starting with LL instead of 2033 diminished any enjoyment I could've gotten out of the story, and that the bugs are a PS3-specific issue and fixed in Redux, because I know a lot of people who are big fans, but... if 2033 was so essential, why did they release Last Light on PS3 without the prior game? I also found the environments all very samey and bland, which is understandable considering it takes place in the apocalypse, but it doesn't make for an interesting game. The trophies were all very finicky and unclear - the requirements for Shadow Ranger and what can mess it up vary depending on who you ask, there's no tracking for gun kills, and Ranger Hardcore hides information from you that the main character should have access to - how many claymores you have, for example, you have no idea. You can only carry 5 maximum though, can Artyom really not count to 5?

The DLC was all pretty bad and uninteresting as well, thankfully most of them were short though. I am glad to be done with this game after 7 years of it being in my backlog, but I definitely don't forsee me playing the others in the series.

Spoiler

PS+ Titles

Metro: Last Light [+57] {+85%} (COMPLETE!)

Stealth Inc [+17] {+78%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Genshin Impact [+2] {+2%}

Unstarted

NEW GAME: TY the Tasmanian Tiger 2: Bush Rescue [26] {Digital}

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

LHa8370d.jpg

Progress Update: #434 - DmC Devil May Cry

1L3938dd.png

I began this game years ago back when it was on PS+, but ultimately ended up dropping it because... honestly, I can't remember why. This is a solid game and I had a fun time going back to it finally. Combat is satisfying, there's plenty of varied attacks, it's decently challenging at times, and the platforming in between fights is nothing hard or thought-provoking, but it's a great way to break up the pacing and reduce the repetition.

The story isn't anything special or memorable, but that may be a result of me spreading it out over 6 years, or me not having played any other DMC game for full context of the characters, but that's okay. The gameplay made up for the lacking story. The platinum for this required 6 full playthroughs, and so did the DLC, which sounded overwhelming at first but it actually ended up being rather fun, like Resident Evil trophy lists each run was just slightly different, whether it be your goal, or specific modifiers, or the enemy waves, which made all 6 engaging in their own way.

I can't see myself stacking this on PS4, 6 playthroughs may have been enough for me, but... never say never. It would probably be fun.

Spoiler

PS+ Titles

DmC Devil May Cry [+46] {+85%} (COMPLETE!)

Unstarted

NEW GAME: 428: Shibuya Scramble [27] {Digital}

NEW GAME: Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed [46] {Digital}

NEW GAME: AI: The Somnium Files [45] {Digital}

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

LH99247a.jpg

LH77e105.jpg

LH32f5f1.jpg

Progress Update: #435 - Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call

1L7fab4f.png

I played the first NftD years ago (so long ago that I've doubled my trophy count since then lol) and I remember being rather underwhelmed. It wasn't a bad game, but it was a bit too easy and that made it rather boring, so I never proceeded to play the sequels. I was looking through PS Now's games though and saw this, so I figured I'd give it another chance as I do like the genre. This was definitely a step up from the first game, it's still very much on the easy side but there were some moments where I actually had to think about what to do, which was great. The story seemed like a bigger deal this time whereas it was just kinda there in the first game. This even threw out sequel bait that made me interested in playing the third game at some point.

The art was good, as expected from games like this, and the music was pretty good too. Voice acting wasn't great, but it was serviceable. I might try out some of the other games from this publisher on Now before my sub ends, but it won't be right away (and unfortunately that doesn't include NftD3)

Spoiler

PS Now

NEW GAME: Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call [+31] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Retail

NEW GAME: Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania [+32] {+81%}

Digital

A Hat in Time [+9] {+27%} (COMPLETE!)

NEW GAME: Little Nightmares [+22] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LH5650cd.jpg

LH5df4cb.jpg

Progress Update: #436 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition

1Led111d.png

I started playing this years ago, but it failed to capture my interest and I quickly bounced off it to play other games. Over the years I've tried coming back to it multiple times, even tried buying the books to see if they'd help me get into it, but... I just couldn't tbh. Even now that I'm done (with the base game), nothing really stood out to me here. A bit of a disclaimer that fantasy often has a hard job engaging me - there are absolutely exceptions to that rule, but I never managed to finish the first Game of Thrones book for example. I never felt any attachment or urgency to the tasks I was being given in the story, and I think a large part of that is due to this being my first Witcher experience, so I knew none of the characters beforehand. But hey, Witcher 1 and 2 aren't on PS, so..

Gameplay wise, I definitely have some issues with it - weapon/armor durability is awful in basically any game that features it, and this is no exception. Inventory limits are always annoying to manage, and this is no exception (though it is more forgiving than some games at least), and simply traversing around the world feels so... cumbersome? After playing the newer Assassin's Creed games that clearly took inspiration from this, getting from A to B just felt like a slog and I never bothered exploring just because of how out of your way you have to go to do so. Can only fast travel at specific sign posts, die from tiny drops, can't climb places.. It's not a big deal, but it's definitely a little annoying.

The missables felt a bit excessive in this too and resulted in me heavily using a guide just to make sure I didn't ruin an entire playthrough since this is such a lengthy game, which isn't necessarily a bad thing because I love the Trails series, which is full of missables, but this isn't as linear as those games so idk, it just wasn't as enjoyable following a guide for this as it was for Trails. Not a fault with the game I suppose, just me for using a guide.

I am going to be playing the DLCs as well for completion, hopefully they can change my opinion. I don't think this is a bad game at all, it's actually quite impressive in terms of the sheer scope of it and how choices do actually matter, reminds me of Dragon Age in that regard. It was very pretty too. It just wasn't all it was hyped up to be by so many people imo.

Spoiler

PS+

NEW GAME: Horizon Chase Turbo [+11] {+15%} (COMPLETE!)

NEW GAME: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth [+0] {-12%}

Retail

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition [+45] {+63%}

Digital

Genshin Impact [+2] {+3%}

• Like 4

6 hours ago, effdeegee said:

Aww that sucks. I was hoping you had liked the game. :(

Did you enjoy playing Gwent?

Gwent was definitely one of my favourite aspects of the game. Got a little repetitive, but it was still an interesting minigame.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

LH5df4cb.jpg

LH6acd08.jpg

Progress Update: #437 - Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

1Le9bc48.png

This was the mainline Danganronpa game that I knew the least about. I knew about the ending, and why it was so divisive, and before playing I really hated what I had heard about it... but honestly, upon actually playing it? I think it was really well done. This is arguably the best Danganronpa game imo, although I do have a strange affection for Ultra Despair Girls. The gameplay here is the best it has ever been (ignoring the absolutely awful dungeon crawler RPG and board game bonus modes), the cast is... maybe not quite as good as 1's, but definitely a step up from 2's. The cases themselves were all pretty interesting, it has the most cohesive climax, the soundtrack is as good as ever, the new maingame minigames were fun (Hangman's Gambit V3.0 is infinitely better than Improved Hangman's Gambit from Dangan 2)...

Really there's not much for me to say against the main, core experience. But really though, did we need a 100 floor dungeon crawler? Did stat gains for it need to be tied to a bland, repetitive board game? Did stats need to be permanent and impossible to improve without starting from 0 again? And having to do the board game over 50 times was insanely dull. Danganronpa 1 and 2 were somewhat let down by bad bonus content, but it's even worse here. One thing I will say is that the "School Mode" of this game was better than the School Mode in 1 and 2. Hopefully if there is ever a Danganronpa 4 (there probably wont be), it cuts out all this pointless bonus stuff and focuses on making the core experience even better than it already was in this one. Maybe that's part of the reason I loved Ultra Despair Girls so much - it never wasted my time like the mainline 3 games did.

Spoiler

PS+

Trine 2: Complete Story [+39] {+58%}

Retail

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition [+18] {+19%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony [+41] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Unstarted
NEW GAME: May's Mysteries: The Secret of Dragonville [27] {Digital}

NEW GAME: Nightmares from the Deep 3: Davy Jones [31] {Digital}

NEW GAME: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments [25] {Digital}

NEW GAME: Valkyria Chronicles [21] {Digital}

• Like 1

LH58bf80.jpg

Progress Update: #438 - Trine 2: Complete Story

1L74b127.png

I began this game 7 years ago, before quickly learning that I didn't like it at all. It's slow, it's pretty clunky, the physics puzzles are repetitive, combat is bad, it's buggy... This was one of the PS+ games that helped contribute to making me avoid 2D games entirely until Celeste rekindled my faith in them recently. A couple weeks ago though, I was invited to join in with people co-oping this and I took it as an opportunity to finally rid this game off my backlog and forget about it after so long.

In co-op... it's actually not so bad. Definitely far less miserable than it is solo. Co-op introduces new bugs to contend with, which sucks, but there's also so much more flexibility with what you can do in the game as a result of having three people. Can just skip over the vast majority of the tedious physics puzzles by throwing down three anti-gravity bubbles and jumping to the end. It was still challenging because the combat in this game is very bad, but at least we didn't have to waste our time with doing the same puzzles over and over every time we died.

It is a relief to finally have this game over with. Trine 3 looks like it might be more to my taste, being 3D, but I'm not going to even bother. I'm done with Trine. 

Spoiler

PS+

Trine 2: Complete Story [+7] {+35%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital

AI: The Somnium Files [+6] {+9%}

• Like 1

LH235027.jpg

Progress Update: #439 - AI: The Somnium Files

1Ld56ba0.png

After playing through the Zero Escape trilogy, I was... skeptical of this. The third game in the ZE trilogy was just an absolute trainwreck, albeit an entertaining one, and I just had no faith in this as a result. Now that I've decided to try it out, it's... okay. I don't like the Somnium gameplay at all, and I have some gripes with the gameplay in the VN portion too, but overall it was an interesting, well-presented story. I kinda miss the absurdity of Zero Time Dilemma's animations/presentation, but this was absolutely better in an "it's actually good" kinda way, instead of being "so bad it's good", so it's a different kind of enjoyment.

The main character is good, as are the supporting cast, and the flavour text for examining various objects can be a fun little side detail, but by the time you revisit areas (often regularly), that fun flavour text becomes something generic and I stopped examining everything towards the end because I was just getting so many repeats/generic lines - I wish the game recognized you'd already seen a line of dialogue even when you revisit the area later. Instead everything just refreshes.

I'm definitely interested to see what they do with the sequel, but it's not going to be something I'll be rushing out to buy tbh. I'll pick it up in a sale at some point.

Spoiler

Digital

AI: The Somnium Files [+39] {+91%} (COMPLETE!)

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Resident Evil 3 [33] {Digital}

• Like 1

LH29fde6.jpg

Progress Update: #440 - Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

1La08c35.png

I originally played this game via PS+ back in 2015 (it really hasnt felt that long ago... yikes), and I remember liking it a lot, but other than the first case... I really didn't remember any specifics. This came free with the pre-order of Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One, so I decided to stack it and refresh my memory before jumping into the brand new entry (which I am definitely excited to do, but it wont be immediately after this.) It was interesting, going in I thought I had basically no memory of the game, but as it progressed I began recognizing locations and characters and was able to piece together what came next via memory instead of actually solving it a lot of the time.

For the most part I think this is a very solid detective game, it's a bit on the easy side with it almost always informing you what your next step is, but that's ok. The one gripe I have with it really is that the conclusions don't ever really feel "correct". Maybe I'm just dumb, but it feels like the majority of the conclusions you can reach could be correct, but the game only accepts one as being the true canon one and sometimes it felt a bit arbitrary which one it wanted and which it didn't.

Overall, this has raised my interest in the prequel even more and I can't wait to jump into it at some point. Hopefully soon.

Spoiler

Digital

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments [+26] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

• Like 2

LH2eb2b5.jpg

Progress Update: #441 - May's Mysteries: The Secret of Dragonville

1L6571c5.png

Years ago, I had this on Nintendo DS but never made it far at all because I was way too bad at rhythm games to solve those puzzles. I also just didn't really like it as much as the game it's clearly ripping off - Professor Layton. While I was browsing the new sale, I saw it and was rather surprised because I had no idea at all it had been ported. It was cheap enough that I decided to get it and give it another go, with my Hatsune Miku/Thumper/MoM training to help me through the rhythm portions.

This is a very bad port. Typos, graphical glitches (one so severe I didn't even know what the puzzle was supposed to be, because the puzzle text displayed was from the prior puzzle), trophy errors (none of the "solve all x puzzles" trophies unlocked for me until I closed and re-opened the game upon beating them all - and then everything popped all at once. Pls dont ban me, cheater removal team), clunky menus (the puzzle text and the actual puzzle cannot be on the screen at the same time, you toggle between them, which is a big step down from the DS version where the text is on the top screen and the puzzle is on the bottom)... overall it just felt very cheap.

If you're a fan of Professor Layton, you might find some enjoyment here if you can look past the obvious low budget and barebones story, but it definitely pales in comparison to what it's trying so hard to be. I can only hope we get PL on console some day - if Phoenix Wright could happen, surely Layton can too. If nothing else I'm just glad to have finally beaten the game that bested me so long ago (which looking back is kinda silly, the rhythm puzzles are badly designed but I did them all first try this time lol)

Spoiler

Digital

May's Mysteries: The Secret of Dragonville [+27] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One [39] {Digital}

• Like 1

LHe69a8e.jpg

Progress Update: #442 - 428: Shibuya Scramble

1L6621d4.png

It has been... almost 2 years since I first played this, I think? Originally I wasn't planning on stacking it due to how long it was and the bonus content.. not really being very good. Recently though on Discord, a server was doing a "game of the month" type thing, and this was the chosen one, and I saw it as a perfect excuse to replay this amazing game again. The bonus content really isn't as bad as I remember it being, and the main story - while not as engaging since I've played it before - was still very entertaining and enjoyable to relive.

Once again my interest in the (supposedly bad) anime sequel to this game is piqued, but it remains elusive. You search up a service to watch it on (like Amazon) and they send you to a page for it then say it's not available... Happens with basically every show, tbh. Regardless, this is a very well written VN that deserves far more attention than it received, it's such a great blend of seriousness, humour, drama, mystery... and really unique as well - it's not an FMV, but it's real people unlike the typical anime art style VNs go with. Never played anything else quite like it.

Spoiler

Digital

428: Shibuya Scramble [+27] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

• Like 3

LHc77f75.jpg

Progress Update: #443 - Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One

1L47e232.png

I was skeptical of the decision to make Sherlock Holmes an open-world game, so I must admit I went into this with some trepidation. I am happy to say that they pulled this off very well. The open world... didn't serve much of a purpose, really, but it also didn't get in the way or feel like it filled the game with unnecessary bloat. It was just there, and it was beautiful too. There are some side cases that you can find whilst exploring the city, and unfortunately they're all very forgettable and bland, but they're short at least.

The main story is definitely my favourite one from the Sherlock series so far, that I've played at least, and this version of Sherlock himself is also definitely my favourite. Making him somewhat insecure and not as experienced was such a breath of fresh air, and his interactions with Jon are a highlight of the game as well. The biggest flaw with the story telling comes from the trophy system, honestly. This game shared one of my complaints of Crimes & Punishments - every conclusion you reach, with a couple sparse exceptions, feels like a viable, believable answer to the case and thus kinda luck whether you pick the true canon choice. In C&P, the game had a button that told you if you got it right. This game... doesn't. They lean heavily into the idea of truth vs justice and how much faith you can really put in the "truth" you uncover, and by not telling you when you've got things right, they plant that seed of doubt in you and it's very well done. Even following a guide, you won't know, because the guide may have gotten it wrong too.

Where this falls apart, however, is the trophy list making you choose specific options, thus essentially spoiling what the canon choices are for several of the cases (but not all, and thankfully not the truly pivotal cases). I guess you could argue that the trophies don't necessarily have to be tied to correct choices, though, so it's still not completely obvious. Also, the trophy list is basically entirely missable which kinda sucks for a game like this imo.

Despite the side content being forgettable, I had a lot of fun with this game and it has a main story that will probably stick with me because of how well told it was. I'm not sure I'll stack it when it comes to PS4 next year (it's cross-buy, so I could do so for free if I wanted), but who knows. I definitely recommend this for Sherlock fans.

Spoiler

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One [+39] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

LH472d05.jpg

Progress Update: #444 - Resident Evil 3

1L0ca859.png

After having heard how disappointing this game was, I can't say I was super eager to get into it after 2 - while still good - ended up being a bit underwhelming for me. Now that I've finally given this a chance however... it's my second favourite? It addressed my main issues with 2 - the cumbersome movement when trying to avoid zombies - by introducing a much needed and much desired dodge button, and I much prefer the way Nemesis works to his RE2 counterpart, Mr X. Was interesting seeing Jill again, but RE1 barely even gets referenced, so the character continuity isn't really there. The Jill here could be an entirely new character basically, which is a little disappointing, but oh well. These aren't particularly story driven games anyway.

The infinite rocket launcher S rank runs were my favourite part of the experience, much like RE2, because it's just so satisfying to use lol. That said, the initial playthrough was still very good as well, and whilst I can see why some people consider it cheap/lazy to reuse certain aspects of RE2's remake, I actually really liked that, it did it just enough to be a nice nod without feeling like it's laziness/padding.

I'm not looking forward to having to go back now from the remake games' gameplay to Resi 4, hopefully the jump won't be too bad since it's not fixed camera angles and (I think?) not tank controls... it's a while away anyway, but I definitely intend to continue this series considering I've owned 4-6 for years now. This helped set my expectations for the future in terms of writing, at least - I imagine from now on, returning characters aren't going to really have much of a character arc or develop across games.

Overall, I liked this and am glad I gave it a chance despite a lot of people disliking it.

Spoiler

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Resident Evil 3 [+33] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep: A Wonderlands One-shot Adventure [31] {Digital}

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LH7405ed.jpg

Progress Update: #445 - Final Fantasy VII

1L04d60a.png

Finally, after 6 years I have managed to finish a second Final Fantasy. I've played X and XIII too but dropped both. This was also one I had originally dropped (5 years ago... time flies) but not because of the game - for some reason, the game kept constantly crashing, and considering there's no autosave, that just made the experience absolutely miserable. Recently though, I was browsing the PS Now library for something to play, and after seeing so many FFs lined up in a row I got the urge to finally cleanup one of the ones that has sat unfinished for such a long time. I've also been playing Trails in the Sky on Steam recently (PC gaming, scary), and that also helped get me in the mood to play a JRPG that actually has trophies. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving my time with Sky so far, but it just feels so weird to be playing on PC - I'd be all over a console port day 1. The game didn't suffer from a single crash this time I played it, downloading from PS Now instead of my own copy. Maybe there's some kind of weird regional issues going on because I own it on my NA account instead of my main.

Now that I've finally gotten around to finishing this game, my overall thoughts are... it's okay. Definitely not one that struck me as one of the greatest games of all time like people hype it up to be - the balancing on the superbosses is just ridiculous considering you health caps at 9999, and a lot of the characters feel like they just stop existing after a certain point. The story was fairly decent, although there are some parts that didn't feel explained very well (I'm thinking of one section in particular...) and it was also paced pretty well. One gripe I do have is that although I was following a guide (plenty of missables in this one), I couldn't help but notice how utterly random some of the main story progression is. At one point for example, you have to visit a town completely isolated from anywhere you've been before and the game gives absolutely 0 indication that that is your next stop to continue the story. There was multiple moments like that, honestly.

I can't say I'm a fan of the combat in this overall, the ATB system means that you sometimes have no time to stop and think about what you're doing (especially during the more powerful bosses), because enemies are still able to attack you while you're deciding unlike traditional turn based. And you also can't dodge attacks either while you study your opponent like you can in an action-based JRPG series like Tales of. That's one of the reasons I dislike and never finished XIII too, really

I recently saw @realm722 post about how the remake is one of his favourite games ever, and that definitely has me intrigued. I think I'd enjoy the more fleshed out world that spans multiple games rather than this one and done experience, tbh. That's part of what I love about Trails - you get to see character growth because they really take the time they need to fully establish the world, lore, and characters since they have 4 whole games to do so (even more if you consider the other story arcs set in that world.) Considering FFVIIIR is only Midgar (I think?), I can only imagine how much more depth the characters will have by the time they finally reach the end. I'm not going to play it immediately (I can't even download it because lol 85GB), but it's definitely in the plans for the future (especially considering PS+ gave me it.)

Spoiler

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Final Fantasy VII [+28] {+95%} (COMPLETE!)

Killzone Shadow Fall [+8] {+26%}

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

LHe6472c.jpg

Progress Update: #446 - Genshin Impact

1Lc0e655.png

Here it is - my first ever (intentional) auto-pop. I feel so dirty, but unfortunately my hand was forced - the next Genshin update, 2.4, will be disabling the PS4 version on PS5 (which is the version I was previously playing). I did try going back to PS4 Pro, but honestly it's a miserable experience there, so I decided to take the plunge into the autopopping world and simply continue via the PS5 version, since I want to continue playing this game and actually have fun with it instead of the misery the PS4 Pro version offers.

I've already raved about how much I love this game over in this post when I first completed the PS4 version, before the Inazuma trophies were added, so I'll just focus on everything since then for this post I suppose. Inazuma is a great update to the game, bringing more amazing music, fresh environments to explore, unique puzzles, new traversal elements, and the variety of locations in Inazuma alone is pretty crazy - Watatsumi Island for example is basically the exact opposite of Tsurumi Island in terms of vibe. It's not perfect though - Watatsumi isn't a very fun island to explore due to its layout, the new archon quests (the main story) were pretty lackluster, and the new playable characters all swayed towards a specific gender instead of being spread equally. That said, more variety in characters does seem to be on its way now (starting with 2.3, so it only took 3 updates), the story has always been lackluster, and most islands are fun to traverse, Watatsumi is simply an exception. The new events have been a mix of great and forgettable - the domain event with Childe and Xinyan was really good and I wish it was permanent content, Windtrace is coming back in 2.4 (which has been one of my favourite events in the game as a whole so far), the Dragonspine Christmas event was interesting... honestly most of the events have been good, only a few outliers like the Tsurumi robot investigating exist.

Now that I have unlocked this, I am locked into this game for the next 4 years because there's far less of a chance that they stop supporting this version compared to the PS4 one... But that's okay, bring it on. I love this game and look forward to what the new regions will have to offer when they arrive, because if they're all on par with Inazuma... the future is bright.

Spoiler

Retail

NEW GAME: Immortals Fenyx Rising [+25] {+23%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

NEW GAME: Genshin Impact [+50] {+93%}

Genshin Impact [+1] {+7%}

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age [57] {Retail} 

NEW GAME: Final Fantasy VII Remake [63] {PS+}

NEW GAME: Mass Effect [35] {Retail}
NEW GAME: Mass Effect 2 [45] {Retail}

NEW GAME: Mass Effect 3 [39] {Retail}

NEW GAME: Mass Effect: Legendary Edition [11] {Retail}
NEW GAME: Sackboy: A Big Adventure [46] {Retail}

• Like 1

LHbd8077.jpg

Progress Update: #447 - Frozen Synapse Prime

1Lcde237.png

Here's a game I never imagined I would finish. I began this years ago when it was on PS+, and boosted the online at the time, but dropped it when I realized the campaign was not the 4/10 difficulty the guide had suggested (for me at least) and I was completely at a loss for how to even begin approaching every level. All these years later and that struggle has not been eased, every single mission in this felt like a grueling trial, although some were obviously even worse than others, and it has made me realize I'm definitely not intelligent enough for the strategy genre if I struggled this much at a supposed 4/10 one lol - admittedly it is my first ever strategy game, but it wasn't welcoming to beginners at all. 

This game has the unique twist that instead of taking turns, where I move my units and then the opponent moves theirs in retaliation, both of us move at the exact same time. So you're not just reacting to your opponent's last turn, you're anticipating exactly what they're going to do next because they'll be doing that immediately instead of waiting for you first, and that made this far more complicated than I had initially thought it would be. There's also a mechanic called darkness, where once an enemy unit leaves your line of sight, you have no idea where they are anymore. The game shows you their last known location, but they could be anywhere at that point, and it felt like it came down to pure luck way more often during these missions than in other ones. It was an awful and rather unfair mechanic imo, in a game that already puts you at a huge disadvantage against your opponents with the units it gives you vs the units it gives them.

Overall, I can see the appeal of this game, but it just wasn't for me and I had a miserable time playing it. I'm so glad it's finally off my backlog for good, one step closer to being completely finished with PS3.

Spoiler

PS+ Titles

Frozen Synapse Prime [+4] {+13%} (COMPLETE!)

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth [+1] {+0%}

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

LHe6472c.jpgLHe6472c.jpgLHac75a6.jpg

Progress Update: #448 - WILL: A Wonderful World

1L25ee5c.png

I had absolutely no expectations going into this. I knew it was a visual novel and... that was basically it. The reason I gave it a chance anyway is because it had been highly recommended, and having now played it I can see why. This was a very good game - it reminded me of 428 Shibuya Scramble in a way, despite being very different, due to the way choices you make for one character can completely change the fate of a different character. One downside to having so many different characters is sometimes I had to try and remind myself what had previously happened to a character I hadn't interacted with for a while - the fact that there are sometimes timeskips made it a little disorienting as well, but I think that's supposed to be part of the experience so I didn't mind it.

I can definitely recommend this to any fellow VN fans, I'd have to think about it a bit more but I think this might actually rank somewhere in my top 5. Can definitely imagine myself stacking it in the future.

Spoiler

Retail

Final Fantasy XIII [+6] {+18%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Genshin Impact [+1] {+7%} (COMPLETE!)

Genshin Impact [+1] {+7%} (COMPLETE!)

WILL: A Wonderful World [+52] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, madbuk said:

Progress Update: #448 - WILL: A Wonderful World

1L25ee5c.png

I had absolutely no expectations going into this. I knew it was a visual novel and... that was basically it. The reason I gave it a chance anyway is because it had been highly recommended, and having now played it I can see why. This was a very good game - it reminded me of 428 Shibuya Scramble in a way, despite being very different, due to the way choices you make for one character can completely change the fate of a different character. One downside to having so many different characters is sometimes I had to try and remind myself what had previously happened to a character I hadn't interacted with for a while - the fact that there are sometimes timeskips made it a little disorienting as well, but I think that's supposed to be part of the experience so I didn't mind it.

I can definitely recommend this to any fellow VN fans, I'd have to think about it a bit more but I think this might actually rank somewhere in my top 5. Can definitely imagine myself stacking it in the future.

Glad to hear that this is good, I bought this on sale last year and haven't had a chance to get to it yet. Hoping to start either this or World End Syndrome after I finish the first Ace Attorney Chronicles game. I would be curious to see how you rank all the VNs you played so far.

Just now, Grotz99 said:

Glad to hear that this is good, I bought this on sale last year and haven't had a chance to get to it yet. Hoping to start either this or World End Syndrome after I finish the first Ace Attorney Chronicles game. I would be curious to see how you rank all the VNs you played so far.

As with all my rankings, they'll probably be slightly different every time you were to ask me, but:

1. Steins;Gate

2. Steins;Gate 0

3. Steins;Gate Linear Bounded Phenogram

4. 428 Shibuya Scramble

5. Chaos;Child

6. WILL

7. Danganronpa 1

8. Danganronpa V3

9. Danganronpa 2

10. Zero Time Dilemma (this one is actually bad, but it's the entertaining kind of bad so it's high up for me)

11. Tears of Themis (would probably be higher if it weren't gacha)

12. AI: The Somnium Files

13. Steins;Gate My Darling's Embrace

14. Great Ace Attorney

15. Ace Attorney Trilogy

16. Robotics;Notes Elite

17. Robotics;Notes DaSH

18. Hatoful Boyfriend

19. Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

20. Code: Realize - Guardian of Rebirth

21. Root Letter

22. World End Syndrome

23. Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star

24. Code: Realize - Future Blessings

25. NORN9 Var Commons

26. Amnesia: Memories

27. Code: Realize - Wintertide Miracles

28. Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness

Having now made this ranking list (which again is subject to change), I'm actually quite surprised at how consistently enjoyable VNs are. It's not until NORN9 that I'd say the games here become flat out unenjoyable.

45 minutes ago, madbuk said:

As with all my rankings, they'll probably be slightly different every time you were to ask me, but:

1. Steins;Gate

2. Steins;Gate 0

3. Steins;Gate Linear Bounded Phenogram

4. 428 Shibuya Scramble

5. Chaos;Child

6. WILL

7. Danganronpa 1

8. Danganronpa V3

9. Danganronpa 2

10. Zero Time Dilemma (this one is actually bad, but it's the entertaining kind of bad so it's high up for me)

11. Tears of Themis (would probably be higher if it weren't gacha)

12. AI: The Somnium Files

13. Steins;Gate My Darling's Embrace

14. Great Ace Attorney

15. Ace Attorney Trilogy

16. Robotics;Notes Elite

17. Robotics;Notes DaSH

18. Hatoful Boyfriend

19. Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

20. Code: Realize - Guardian of Rebirth

21. Root Letter

22. World End Syndrome

23. Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star

24. Code: Realize - Future Blessings

25. NORN9 Var Commons

26. Amnesia: Memories

27. Code: Realize - Wintertide Miracles

28. Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness

Having now made this ranking list (which again is subject to change), I'm actually quite surprised at how consistently enjoyable VNs are. It's not until NORN9 that I'd say the games here become flat out unenjoyable.

Wow that is more than I thought you played. Looks like I should play Steins;Gate which I've heard nothing but good things about, but also heard that I should watch some of the anime first? Seeing World End Syndrome below Root Letter is a little discouraging, not to say I didn't enjoy Root Letter, but so far its probably my least favorite. 428 for me now is probably at the top, such a great way to tell a story, it was like watching a season of 24.

I actually liked Zero Time Dilemma, it was so weird, but that's what made it great. Actually played that before The Nonary Games so it made even less sense.

I've had Psycho-Pass on my Wishlist for a while, but after reading reviews, it didn't sound good. I also have Our World is Ended on my Wishlist, curious if that is any good. Also waiting for Root Film to go on sale.