Madbuk's List of Unfinished Games

madbuk

LHbceee8.jpg

Progress Update: #215 - Heavy Rain

1L89cd1a.png

I went into this not really knowing what to expect (I knew it was an interactive drama and I knew up to the end of the "JAASSSON!" scene. Everything after that was new) which is remarkable considering how old and high-profile this game is. Or, at least, that's what I thought. As I started playing it, and as I had a brief overlook of the trophy list (I did do a blind run first but I wanted to know roughly what was in store after that, I remembered that I had had the identity of the Origami Killer spoiled for me long ago :(

Despite that, I enjoyed this. Madison and Jayden are tied as my favourite character, Ethan was good too, Scott was just kinda bland. Getting all the endings was very tedious, but oh well. Also, the motion controls are garbage and they should never have been implemented.

I also have Beyond: Two Souls to do, since it came with this, and I know nothing about that game other than it stars Ellen Page and it's another interactive drama like this, so that's exciting.

Probably won't play it for a while though, need a break after the amount of tedium getting the endings in this required.

Spoiler

Retail

Tales of Berseria [+1] {+3%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

NEW GAME: Heavy Rain [+57] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Beyond: Two Souls [46]

Impossible Trophies :(

NEW: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth [+7]

Edited by madbuk

LH58ee4f.jpg

Progress Update: #216 - Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

1Lafadaa.png

I had already done this on Vita, so I knew what to expect going into it... It was as fun as I remember for the most part, but the AI in this seemed more unfair than the Vita version. They'd very frequently shoot me backwards instead of shooting the racers in front of them to overtake them, which makes no sense. Other than that though it was largely the same and was very enjoyable to go through again. If you're a fan of racing games, I definitely recommend this.

Spoiler

Retail

Tales of Berseria [+1] {+1%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed [+51] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Games With Unfinished Online Trophies

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed [+3]

Edited by madbuk

47 minutes ago, markcavan said:

Nice, congratulations. I may play this again on PS3 myself eventually. Are the online trophies as bad on PS3 as they were on psvita? 

I'd say they're worse honestly :P On PS3, you need 4 controllers. Each of those 4 controllers needs to be in the top 4 places on a full 10 racers online match.

At least on Vita you could RNG it with one other player and only one Vita :P

31 minutes ago, madbuk said:

I'd say they're worse honestly :P On PS3, you need 4 controllers. Each of those 4 controllers needs to be in the top 4 places on a full 10 racers online match.

At least on Vita you could RNG it with one other player and only one Vita :P

Oh lordy - okay, thanks 

LHb5569a.jpg

Progress Update: #217 - LEGO The Hobbit

1L8796be.png

This... may just be the worst LEGO game I have played. Not only is the level design very boring and repetitive, the game is buggy on top of that. Far too often I would lose control of my character as they began running endlessly in one direction so I had to close the game and restart the entire level. They also removed the ability to jump in this game - you know, an entry into a franchise that could be considered 3D platformers... when I first discovered that the jump was gone, that's when I knew this'd be a bad game. And it was.

Also, the overworld map is very bad and it's annoying to try and navigate when going off to try and find every branching path. The sidequests are marked as done on the overworld map (their icon turns from green to brown) even when they aren't completed so you never know which quests you actually still need to do, and the load times could be a bit better.

Really disappointed by this one.

Spoiler

Digital {Excluding PS+}

LEGO The Hobbit [+24] {+55%} (COMPLETE!)

Edited by madbuk

LHa1a9e2.jpg

Progress Update: #218 - Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

1Lb27644.png

This is about the 5th or 6th time that I've 100%ed this game, but it was still just as enjoyable as ever. The game is a little easy, but I love collectathon platformers like this and the level design is great, and there's plenty of variety in the aesthetics too; jungles, beaches, snowy mountains, volcanoes, swamps, etc. It's a shame that II and 3 moved away from this style and gameplay, but I really enjoyed those games as well (although 1 will always be the best), so it's not too bad. I cannot wait for those games to release on PS4 so I can replay them, and I especially cannot wait for Jak X, which I never got around to playing on PS2.

I will never not be salty that The Last of Us robbed us of a Jak 4. Jak would've probably been a much better game. Hopefully the fact that they're porting all the games over (apart from Daxter and TLF) means they're picking Jak 4 up again. It's long overdue.

Spoiler

Retail

Tales of Berseria [+6] {+17%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

NEW GAME: Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy [+39] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Edited by madbuk

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Wow, good job doing the Uncharted games on Brutal! After that, nothing should faze you. :)

What's next?

No idea. I started playing some more Berseria but I really cba with grinding out grade, and the dire foes were destroying me anyway, so I stopped playing for now :P

Might start Beyond: Two Souls next :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

LH99fb87.jpg

LH1db061.jpg

Progress Update: #219 - RIGS: Mechanized Combat League

1La54b62.png

This game is extremely repetitive... It's fun for the first 10 matches or so, but the 80+ matches after that are such a slog to get through... Aiming with your head instead of the right stick like a normal game was irritating, and there wasn't much variety in the game modes. Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, and another more unique one that involves killing enough enemies and then making your way to a goal once you've powered up. This isn't nearly enough variety to make it interesting for over 80 matches. It's a shame that this game ended up shutting down the studio though. It wasn't that bad.

Spoiler

PS+ Titles

NEW GAME: Hatoful Boyfriend [+17] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

NEW GAME: RIGS: Mechanized Combat League [+33] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Retail

Tales of Berseria [+31] {+60%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Beyond: Two Souls [+7] {+10%}

NEW: RIGS: Mechanized Combat League [+5]

Edited by madbuk

LHe801ff.jpg

Progress Update: #220 - Beyond: Two Souls

1L58bbbd.png

This certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting another realistic interactive movie like Heavy Rain, instead this was full of supernatural elements, which were also used for a new gameplay element. I have a couple of issues with the story, especially one moment in The Black Sun (which I had to watch about 8 times for different endings -_-) but for the most part this was a good game. A lot of people seem to take issue with the fact the story jumps all over the place (timeline wise), but that didn't bother me much since it was still easy to follow.

Getting all the endings in this felt far more tedious than Heavy Rain, though. I never want to experience The Black Sun again. pls no.

Spoiler

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Beyond: Two Souls [+39] {+90%} (COMPLETE!)

Unpurchased DLC

PURCHASED: Additional Chapter: JETSTREAM [Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance]

NEW DLC: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ [The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth] {£7.99}

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth [-7]

Edited by madbuk

LH66b85f.jpg

Progress Update: #221 - Tales of Berseria

1L641a65.png

Tales of Berseria is amazing. A lot of people didn't like Xillia because of the linear fields and progression, and those people will probably take issue with that here too. But I don't mind that at all because it keeps the story progressing, and story/characters are why I play Tales for the most part; the great gameplay is just icing on the cake. And the characters in this game were fantastic, they all developed as the story progresses and their interactions during the skits are great, the group dynamic works very well in this game. Magilou is fantastic, probably the best Tales character I've experienced so far (I've done Xillia and Graces f and some of Symphonia so far.)

Seemingly like every JRPG ever, this game does get bogged down by a tedious post-game grind for the last few trophies unfortunately. The grind is much shorter than Graces f though, so it has that going for it I guess. Also the dungeons in this game could be better, but the dungeons haven't been that great in any Tales game that I've played unfortunately, so I guess that's just something I'll have to get used to. I can't wait to see what the next Tales game will be, but in the meantime I have plenty of other older Tales games to get on with lol.

Spoiler

Retail

Tales of Berseria [+7] {+12%} (COMPLETE!)

Edited by madbuk

• 2 weeks later...

LHeac71b.jpg

Progress Update: #222 - Tales of Xillia

1Lbf6527.png

Tales of Xillia was my first Tales game (and first Tales plat), and it feels like just yesterday I was doing it for the first time. Was shocked to see it was over a year ago now. I got this in a bundle with Graces f, so essentially it only cost £2, and it was fun enough the first time to consider stacking for that price. I think Berseria has topped this as my favourite Tales game, but Xillia is still a great game. The cast dynamic is good, the story is good, you visit all sorts of different environments, and there's something deeply satisfying about exploring each area of a field from top to bottom for random loot and treasures just to see your map fill up. Was disappointed that random loot doesn't show up on your map in Berseria :(

Thankfully, I learned from last time and got Leia's partner skill done as soon as I could. That was a pain post-game during my first plat run of this, and I ended up having to reload an old save just to get it done. The bonus grade from doing it was pretty nice too. Jude's restore was more annoying than I had remembered, though.

Dunno what Tales game I'll do next... It'll either be Hearts R, Xillia 2, or Zestiria. Leaning towards Hearts R, but who knows.

Also, I made it into the top 50 fastest. Woo.

Spoiler

Digital

Tales of Xillia [+46] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Edited by madbuk

LH9b1f67.jpg

Progress Update: #223 - Watch Dogs 2

1Ld84aa2.png

What a bland, generic game. Every mission is one of three things - hack something, kill someone, or reach [objective] and press triangle. That is the entire game. It gets old very quickly and never improves. The characters are all extremely bland and the story doesn't even try to be interesting, whereas there was quite a big focus on narrative in the original.

The first game was a hell of a lot better, and this one has me questioning whether I'd get a Watch Dogs 3, despite really enjoying the original. It was generic in every possible way, and having people interrupt your game randomly is a very dumb concept as well. At least in WD1, they had a purpose for interrupting you, to do a hacking minigame. Here? They just join you and then alert the cops and then you're fucked. For no reason.

I cannot recommend this game in the slightest. Also the DLC is just as bland as generic, and rather broken in that one of the trophies requires you to beat 10 online co-op missions. You can do this solo, but if a random joins, your progress gets entirely reset. And you can't prevent randoms joining. You can do all 10 missions with a random, but it has to be the same random for all 10, otherwise it resets. And good luck getting a random to stay for all 10. You need a friend to help because of how broken it is.

Spoiler

Retail

Watch Dogs 2 [+39] {+74%}

Watch Dogs 2 [-1]

Unstarted

Knack [42]

Knack 2 [43]

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1

I played a bit of Watch Dogs 2 on my alt account and thought it wasn't bad at all. I felt the characters were kind of funny, in a quirky, hipster sort of way.

I haven't played the first Watch Dogs so I can't comment on that. But seeing this is Ubisoft we're talking about, they're no stranger to generic, boring content.

LH9b1f67.jpg

LHb02afe.jpg

Progress Update: #224 - Knack

1Lc17ca2.png

Knack is a great game. Yes, it is and I'm not saying that sarcastically. The level of challenge going through this game on hard with Basic Knack was just right to be satisfying but not annoying or tedious, the secrets were well-hidden and rewarding to find (I did use a guide on my second run to find them all though), and the general sense of progression you have when playing is great, it felt like one big journey instead of a sequence of levels, similar to how the God of War games function. Also, the combat was satisfying even though the dodge felt a tad unreliable. Sometimes it felt like it gave you i-frames, and other times it didn't. So it's best to just assume that the dodge never gives you i-frames and play carefully. There was a decent variety of enemies with different patterns to keep the combat feeling fresh and it's short enough to avoid becoming repetitive.

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to have randomized loot, and have loot repeat, and have one of the loot drops be absurdly rare and require you to get 10 of them, is an idiot though. That mechanic really dragged the game down for a while until I finished the grind (which took far too long) and got back to actually really playing it again, at which point I started to really enjoy myself again. I hope Knack II has less of that garbage.

Spoiler

Retail

Watch Dogs 2 [+1] {+3%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Knack [+42] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Watch Dogs 2 [-1]

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star [13]

Edited by madbuk

LHe1eedd.jpg

LH8d2eed.jpg

Progress Update: #225 - Knack 2

1L6a1ee5.png

Knack 2 is a bit of a disappointment compared to Knack 1. It's still a great game and a lot of fun - and there's no RNG loot chest nonsense either this time, which is a huge pro compared to the shit you had to deal with in Knack 1 - but the combat felt like it took a step backwards. It's far less methodical and you basically just get by by spamming attacks, especially later into the game. In Knack 1, almost every fight posed a satisfying challenge, and here that isn't the case. Other than that, I have a couple of issues with the story, but everything else was very enjoyable. It's just a shame that the combat held it back from being as satisfying as Knack 1 was. The added medal challenges were an interesting concept but there wasn't much variety in the objectives.

I'd definitely be excited by a Knack 3 announcement, but after the way Knack 2 sold, I'm not expecting one anytime soon :(

Spoiler

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star [+13] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Knack 2 [+43] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Edited by madbuk

LH337dfb.jpg

LH91230f.jpg

Progress Update: #226 - Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Game of the Year Edition

1L9a244d.png

Rather disappointing game honestly. I had heard it was a mashup between Batman Arkham and Assassin's Creed, two franchises that I really enjoy... and I can see where that comparison comes from, but it's more of a mashup between a bad Arkham game and a mediocre Assassin's Creed with a pointless The Lord of the Rings aesthetic and a mediocre story.

The nemesis system is the only saving grace of the game, it's very unique and offers a lot of variety. You could play this forever creating your own stories with the randomized orcs if that's your thing, but overall it didn't really appeal to me all that much, it was a neat idea that I found got old and tired towards the end. All the side quests and main missions were extremely repetitive and the DLC wasn't much better. Controlling Graugs is far more frustrating than it should be too, and the main character (honestly, the story was so forgettable I couldn't even tell you his name) likes to get stuck on objects while climbing so you have to try and free him so you can find another route.

I don't think I'll ever be playing the sequel. Maybe if a GOTY edition is only £5 on sale like I've seen this one go for at times, but until then I'll be staying clear of it.

Also while I was playing this, I realized Binding of Isaac has another impossible trophy thanks to the most recent DLC. This game will continue to be the bane of my trophy hunting.

Spoiler

PS+ Games

NEW GAME: Child of Light [+20] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Retail

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Game of the Year Edition [+44] {+58%}

NEW: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth [+1]

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 2

LH91230f.jpg

LH9dbbfe.jpg

Progress Update: #227 - Psychonauts

1L8dfed1.png

I never got around to playing this when it first released on PS2, so I'm glad to have finally had the chance (and with trophies too!) I don't think it has aged perfectly, the jumping, and movement in general really, felt kind of floaty and definitely PS2-era. If you can go into the game accepting that it is a PS2 game though, it's great fun. Took me a while to get into it, and I wish there had been more sections like Meat Circus where it's just pure platforming instead of all the running around finding items and solving basic puzzles to progress, but there was enough platforming that it wasn't a huge letdown. The figment collectibles were also rather annoying because they're so transparent that you could be looking right at one and not notice it if you're not looking at it from the correct angle, but they were satisfying to collect anyway (as were all the collectibles.) I'm excited to see what Psychonauts 2 will offer and I'm glad it was successfully funded.

Spoiler

Retail

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Game of the Year Edition [+2] {+3%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Psychonauts [+23] {+77%} (COMPLETE!)

Edited by madbuk

• 2 weeks later...

LH81dd38.jpg

Progress Update: #228 - Dragon Age: Inquisition

1L13ee68.png

While this is the worst mainline Dragon Age game, I still had a lot of fun replaying it on the inferior PS3 version. It was a little harder than it was on PS4, as Horn of Valor doesn't give you guard since PS3 doesn't have the Tresspasser DLC, but overall it wasn't too bad. I'm still not fond of the open hub areas, but I loved going through the linear main-quest areas. Also, this game is very impressive on a technical level. There are so many choices that actually affect the game you can make throughout, and there are loads of different ways cutscenes can play out. Puts Telltale and the like to shame - and this is with the RPG gameplay on top of it all. I can't wait to see where Bioware takes the series next, especially since Dragon Age 4 is being handled by the same team as the past Dragon Age games, unlike Andromeda which was thrust on an inexperienced team to develop. This is basically the only franchise EA has left that interests me, which is rather sad.

Please cut down on the MMO sidequests next time though.

Spoiler

Retail

Horizon Zero Dawn [+0] {-27%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Dragon Age: Inquisition [+55] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Unpurchased DLC

PURCHASED: Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds

Edited by madbuk

• 2 weeks later...

LH62f68b.jpg

LH980343.jpg

Progress Update: #229 - Mass Effect 2

1L30671b.png

I can't say Mass Effect 1 really captured me, in regards to gameplay or story... or even the characters really. It all felt so mediocre. But I had already gotten this from PS+ and I at least want to finish the trilogy, as it's a very influential and beloved franchise. I liked most of the cast in this one, although Grunt and Mordin, and Samara felt rather generic. To be fair you get Samara so late into the game that I never really gave her a chance. This game also did a better job at making me excited for Mass Effect 3 than ME1 did for ME2. This really felt like it was building towards something grander, and I'm excited to see where it goes next (although I hear the ending is a massive letdown though. I have no idea what happens because I've miraculously avoided spoilers, but I guess I should go in with low expectations).

The gunplay was far better in this game too, although I did miss the infinite ammo lol. Insanity was annoying, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Certainly not the 8/10 the guide makes it out to be. As an Infiltrator you can just run past hard fights and trigger the next cutscene by turning invisible. It's sad kills no longer give you XP, that was a satisfying pop-up every time you got a kill in ME1. Hope ME3 brings that back.

Spoiler

PS+ Games

Mass Effect 2 [+47] {+84%} (COMPLETE!)

Retail

Horizon Zero Dawn [+21] {+27%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

NEW GAME: LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens [+10] {+11%}

Edited by madbuk

LHeae608.jpg

Progress Update: #230 - Bound

1Ld4db11.png

This is a game that has interested me for quite a while now, but never enough to buy it when it was on sale (which it has been, many times). Thanks to PS+, I finally had the chance to play it, and I'm very glad I did. The controls take a while to get used to, but once you do they're extremely satisfying, and the levels are perfectly constructed around your moveset with plenty of secrets to find for speedrunning and collectibles. The trophy guide overstates the difficulty and time estimate quite a bit imo, it's more like a 6-7/10 and about 10-20 hours. Certainly not 40. Speedrunning the levels reminded me a lot of Mirror's Edge time trials, despite the two games being very different. The level design in both is incredible and really shines when you try to do them as fast as you can. I am very thankful for the patch that lets you skip cutscenes though. Would be rather grating watching everything over and over each attempt, and I'm not sure I'd be capable of even doing the time trials if they were mandatory to watch. With the ability to skip, the balance of challenge and leniency is perfect. I was going to save this game for a milestone, but I'm glad I didn't. It was worth jumping into straight away instead.

Also it's my first platinum below 1% rarity, and I made it into the top 50 fastest and got the #2 spot, so that's pretty neat.

I definitely recommend this game to people with PS+, especially if you have an interest in 3D platformers.

Spoiler

PS+ Games

NEW GAME: Bound [+27] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens [+1] {+1%}

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Deadpool [51]

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 2

LH2a0fd3.jpg

Progress Update: #231 - Lumo

1L1acc38.png

This game is okay. The perspective made for a unique platforming challenge, but it got a bit annoying in Old School mode because I would misjudge a jump and waste a life foolishly. The shadow is infinitely more reliable than looking at your sprite. The collectibles in this are pretty bullshit, there's no way you're ever finding them all without a guide. You could probably get all the ducks without any guide, but everything else requires nonsense like jumping off screen and out of bounds, with no indication of when and where this is possible. The trophies were a decent challenge using back-up saves, but without them they're all missable and you'd be replaying a bunch of the game just to get another shot at most of them, which would get rather tedious. Old School mode was nerve-racking, I died and left myself with 0 lives during the last 10 minutes or so and was terrified that I would die and have to redo the entire run. Took 3 attempts overall - I died near the end on my first run, I lost most of my lives by the Snow world the second time so I just reset, and then the third run was mostly flawless until the last world, was so happy when I made it through lol. New rarest plat (and I also made it into the fastest achievers spot at #3), and I'm glad I gave it a shot even if overall it wasn't as fun as I'd hoped it would be.

Spoiler

PS+ Games

NEW GAME: Lumo [+43] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens [+2] {+2%}

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1