Madbuk's List of Unfinished Games

madbuk

On 18-11-2017 at 10:11 PM, madbuk said:

Progress Update: #230 - Bound

1Ld4db11.png

This is a game that has interested me for quite a while now, but never enough to buy it when it was on sale (which it has been, many times). Thanks to PS+, I finally had the chance to play it, and I'm very glad I did. The controls take a while to get used to, but once you do they're extremely satisfying, and the levels are perfectly constructed around your moveset with plenty of secrets to find for speedrunning and collectibles. The trophy guide overstates the difficulty and time estimate quite a bit imo, it's more like a 6-7/10 and about 10-20 hours. Certainly not 40. Speedrunning the levels reminded me a lot of Mirror's Edge time trials, despite the two games being very different. The level design in both is incredible and really shines when you try to do them as fast as you can. I am very thankful for the patch that lets you skip cutscenes though. Would be rather grating watching everything over and over each attempt, and I'm not sure I'd be capable of even doing the time trials if they were mandatory to watch. With the ability to skip, the balance of challenge and leniency is perfect. I was going to save this game for a milestone, but I'm glad I didn't. It was worth jumping into straight away instead.

Also it's my first platinum below 1% rarity, and I made it into the top 50 fastest and got the #2 spot, so that's pretty neat.

I definitely recommend this game to people with PS+, especially if you have an interest in 3D platformers.

Reveal hidden contents

PS+ Games

NEW GAME: Bound [+27] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens [+1] {+1%}

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Deadpool [51]

Very glad you enjoyed it. I was incredibly immersed in this game. From the first moment you come into the strange world and the piano sounds start coming in ... Very fun game to plat as well. 

• Like 2

LH8404a5.jpg

Progress Update: #232 - LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens

1Lc03c25.png

This game introduced some interesting concepts for LEGO, but didn't really do much with them. For example, the multi-build idea was good, but you only ever had 3 options max, and most of the time there were only 2 options, so it didn't really make the puzzles any more complicated than they were when you could only ever build one thing like in other LEGO games. Also the blaster battles were interesting at first but got repetitive, especially since a lot of them are way longer than they need to be. I much prefer the small hubs that this and LEGO Batman 3 had compared to the one large openworld that games like Marvel and Hobbit use, since having multiple small hubs offers a variety of different locations and also stops the amount of collectibles from feeling overwhelming. The amount of icons scattered all over the place on the LEGO Marvel map is ridiculous; with smaller hubs that isn't a problem.

The final reward level was rather anti-climatic. Most LEGO games have one final level where you have to get 1 million studs by smashing stuff and solving some puzzles, and there is generally very little leeway too so you have to be very thorough. Here... you just pilot a spaceship and blow up planets. It's so basic and boring. Overall this wasn't my favourite LEGO game, but it certainly wasn't my least favourite. That honour would probably go to LEGO Hobbit Vita.

Spoiler

Digital {Excluding PS+}

LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens [+37] {+63%}

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LH8404a5.jpg

LH8124b5.jpg

Progress Update: #233 - Darksiders Warmastered Edition

1La1d567.png

Darksiders 1 is an incredible game. Its combat is extremely satisfying and enjoyable, and the Zelda aspects are done perfectly. Exploring dungeons, solving puzzles, finding heart pieces (in this game known as life shards) is a lot of fun. I especially like how the health system works. Each "heart container" gives you an entirely new health bar, so while you do take a lot of damage later in the game, you can take a good number of hits if you've been exploring and upgrading. It felt like you got new health bars at the perfect pace so that the game is consistently a decent challenge, but never unfair or overwhelming. The abyssal chain was a lot of fun to use and makes me excited for Fury's whip in Darksiders III. The void walker also made for some fun puzzles, it's essentially the portal gun from Portal. The game gives you this new gear at the perfect pace too, keeping the gameplay fresh and interesting the entire time. Replenishing health via green soul chests was also a good mechanic as you can definitely find yourself in a rough spot with little health remaining, but you won't have to wait too long to find another chest to replenish that health. And the game gives you the tools to get out of those sticky situations - chaos form saved me several times from near-death during fights, and War's evade move is generally pretty reliable to avoid attacks. If you enter a fight, you can do it no matter your health.

This was a stack, I had already done this game 3 years ago, but it is so much better than I remember. I mean, I remember enjoying a lot, hence why I stacked it. But holy shit... it's phenomenal. Just pure enjoyment from the very start to... almost the very end. The grind of killing about 2000 spiders wasn't very fun. Shame about Darksiders II, not a fan of that at all and can't really put my finger on why. Haven't played it in months so maybe I'll give it another chance, since this game was so good. Cannot wait for Darksiders III.

Spoiler

Retail

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition [+13] {+14%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Darksiders Warmastered Edition [+43] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens [+20] {23%} (COMPLETE!)

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

LHb86a81.jpg

LH2d753d.jpg

LH9c76e0.jpg

Progress Update: #234 - Mass Effect 3

1L6fea5d.png

And with this I have finally gotten around to finishing the Mass Effect trilogy, am I a true gamer yet? The trilogy as a whole has been great, although due to my dislike of shooters in general it did take a long time for me to warm to it. I think Mass Effect 3 might just be the best of the trilogy, it further improved on the combat of Mass Effect 2 (the dodge roll is a complete game changer, loved that addition) and the story kept me captivated from start to end, although I'm sure that's more because of playing ME1/ME2 and experiencing the build-up. This game truly felt like the climax of the franchise, and it was a satisfying one for me. I knew the ending was a bitter disappointment, but that's all I knew. And having now seen what the ending actually is... I don't see it. Why was that a disappointment? I loved this game from start to finish really which is much, much more than I can say for Mass Effect 1 and 2. Insanity seemed a lot easier in this game, although I skipped a lot of the side missions because I had already done Unwavering in the multiplayer mode. Speaking of which, I generally despise multiplayer. The only bearable one I can think of from the top of my head is Killzone: Mercenary to be honest, and even that wasn't anything stellar. But I had a lot of fun in the short time I spent in the multiplayer in this. I could see it getting very old very fast, but I stopped playing before it had a chance for that to happen. It was also surprisingly active given the age and the fact that Andromeda has released.

I'm not sure if I'm going to play Andromeda, maybe one day but it probably won't be anytime soon.

Spoiler

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Mass Effect 3 [+54] {+77%} (COMPLETE!)

Rayman 3 [+8] {+77%} (COMPLETE!)

Sonic Adventure 2 [+5] {+57%} (COMPLETE!)

Impossible Trophies :(

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth [-1]

Edited by madbuk

• 2 weeks later...

LHb4f8c5.jpg

LH02adc1.jpg

Progress Update: #235 - Steins;Gate 0

1L2d9694.png

This game, like it's predecessor, is an actual masterpiece. While it's not a story that urgently needed telling, it was fascinating to go from the upbeat, cheery Steins;Gate that was littered with dark, somber moments, to Steins;Gate 0, which was the exact opposite from the very start. The more mature tone gripped me instantly, and I found Okabe even more interesting in this than the original, you could really feel that the events of the first game have drastically affected his character, the character development was fantastic throughout this duology. Maho is a great new character as well and didn't just feel like a replacement for a certain other character; speaking of which, Amadeus is a very interesting concept, and I'm glad this wasn't just another game about time travel and a retread. And one of the scenes in this game I don't think I'm ever forgetting. It was powerful. The scene actually made my eyes water a bit, something I don't recall ever happening with TV/Books/Games/Movies. They're just stories afterall. But something about that scene really got to me. Can't really go into details because spoilers, but yeah. Wow. The outstanding OST helped elevate the emotion even more than the stellar writing alone would, too. The story is gripping from start to end, and it saddens me that people actually go out and buy this game just to rob themselves of the experience to get an easy platinum. 

I would love to see some of the smaller spin-off stuff get localized, but that's not a very realistic hope it seems. I wonder if I'll play any other VNs that can even come close to the quality of these two games. I actually kind of want to stack the original game and re-read everything, because with the knowledge I have now of the series I think it'd be interesting to see all the characters grow again, knowing their full journey.

Spoiler

Retail

NEW GAME: Assassin's Creed Origins [+3] {+4%}

NEW GAME: Sonic Forces [+33] {+50%}

NEW GAME: Steins;Gate 0 [+28] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Need for Speed: Rivals [+5] {+18%}

NEW GAME: Skylar & Plux: Adventure on Clover Island [+18] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Games With Unfinished Online Trophies

NEW: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [+17]

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Kingdom Hearts [56] {Retail}

NEW GAME: Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep [46] {Retail}

NEW GAME: Kingdom Hearts II [51] {Retail}

NEW GAME: Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories [48] {Retail}

NEW GAME: LEGO City Undercover [49] {Retail}

NEW GAME: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [68] {Retail}

NEW GAME: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy [50] {Retail}

Edited by madbuk

• 2 weeks later...

LH560ea1.jpg

Progress Update: #236 - Kingdom Hearts

1L97d524.png

As much as I love the Kingdom Hearts series, I wasn't looking forward to doing synthesis all over again in this game. It's probably my favourite KH, maybe behind Re:CoM, but the synthesis just isn't fun and outside of trophies there's really no reason you'd ever do it. Thankfully though, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was remembering - I remember a 30+ hour grind at least, and it took me about 8 or so here. Everything else was a joy to play again, revisiting how such an amazing franchise began has been great and I can't wait to redo the others as well... not like we're getting Kingdom Hearts 3 anytime soon to play instead :( I often see people say the DIsney puts them off even giving this franchise a shot, which is rather silly since Disney really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. You need to know about Donald, Goofy, Mickey, and Yen Sid. And then you're set for the whole series really, the Disney worlds don't have any real plot relevance.

Spoiler

Retail

Kingdom Hearts [+56] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [+15] {+18%}

Unfinished Online Trophies

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [+15]

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Grow Up [17] {Digital}

• 2 weeks later...

LHa13a8b.jpg

Progress Update: #237 - Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories

1L776c31.png

This game is criminally underrated. People see the card system and skip it without even giving it a try - it's a lot of fun. I'm thankful that the difficulty trophies stack this time, but another 2 playthroughs as each character wouldn't be too terrible when the game is as fun as it is. While you can just abuse Lethal Frame and break the game once you reach level 31 (as Sora, anyway), that doesn't change the fact that the game is approachable in so many different ways, thanks to the deck building mechanic. I also really like the pacing of this one compared to Kingdom Hearts 1, the plot advances after each world instead of KH1 where you'd go multiple worlds without anything happening at all. The Disney worlds were nothing new or interesting and were all retreads, but I didn't really care since they're mostly retreads of the films anyway. Don't let the card system put you off this gem of a game.

Spoiler

Retail

Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories [+48] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

LEGO City Undercover [+6] {+9%}

LHfe6325.jpg

LH07abdb.jpg

Progress Update: #238 - Gravity Rush Remastered

1Lbfed98.png

I remember enjoying this, but not being blown away, when I played it on Vita. I'm still salty that Gravity Rush 2 isn't a Vita game even though it should be, but I decided that even though it's not where it should be, at least we still got a second game. So I bought this and Gravity Rush 2 together, so I could stack this to refresh myself on the story which I barely paid attention to on Vita because I didn't find it very interesting... it wasn't very interesting this time, either, but the comic book presentation of it is nice. The gameplay itself was even better than I remembered too, maybe being on a bigger screen helped, idk. The challenges were definitely still my favourite part as they were on the Vita version as well, especially the races. Gravity Rush 2 seems to be a lot more ambitious which is a bit concerning, as the simplicity helps this game and stops it becoming too repetitive. I hope it adds a little more to the combat, it wasn't very interesting at all in this, you just spammed gravity kicks and killed everything, never being in any danger.

Spoiler

Digital {Excluding PS+}

NEW GAME: Gravity Rush Remastered [+64] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

NEW GAME: The Walking Dead: Michonne [+21] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Batman [31] {PS+}

NEW GAME: Gravity Rush 2 [48] {Digital}

NEW GAME: Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter [25] {Digital}

Unpurchased DLC

Tales of Zestiria - Alisha's Story Additional Chapter [Tales of Zestiria] {Purchased}

Edited by madbuk

LHf3841b.jpg

Progress Update: #239 - Sonic Forces

1L3b1f2a.png

Sonic Forces is a huge step up in quality compared to the garbage that was Sonic Generations, but unfortunately it doesn't even come close to topping Sonic Unleashed. Classic Sonic didn't need to be in this game, he had his own game, let Modern Sonic have another game to shine in. The new character was interesting, but really his/her only unique ability is the Wispon, which you could've easily given to Sonic and cut the OC out completely. Story wasn't anything special, but that's to be expected really. The levels were much better designed in this than Generations because there was actual incentive to explore to try and shave seconds off your time for the new "Missions" system, and one of the things I hated about Generations was the Modern Sonic levels cutting to 2D (Why? Classic Sonic has his own fucking stages) and while Forces does still do that, it has much less of it which I greatly appreciated. Drop dash was a nice new feature for Classic Sonic once I mastered it late into the game, The collectibles in this were horrible. You had red star rings, number rings, and moon rings. 5 each in each level. However, to unlock moon rings you need to get every number ring in the stage, and to unlock number rings you need to get every red ring. So that's 3 runs of each level for that alone, and then you add in the speedruns and misc objectives you need to do for the new mission system and it gets very repetitive very fast after you've finished the story. If you had cut out the collectibles and left in the missions, that would've been enough replayability to be enjoyable but not a chore. Or even just have missions and red rings - the number and moon rings do literally nothing.

This game has rekindled my hope in this franchise after Generations did its best to ruin everything incredible about Unleashed. We still have a long way to go before we get back to Unleashed levels of phenomenal, but one step at a time. Or you could just remaster Unleashed as a shortcut back to glory, I'd happily buy that SEGA.

Spoiler

Retail

Assassin's Creed Origins [+1] {+1%}

Sonic Forces [+13] {+45%}

• 2 weeks later...

LHf3841b.jpg

LHf01f11.jpg

Progress Update: #240 - Batman

1Lf30d30.png

This was a good game. I liked that it takes place early into Batman's career, so we get to see his first interactions with certain characters and the origins behind some of the villains. I'm not well versed in comic book lore, but I recognized the name of one of the characters so I knew he was fated to become a villain (I wasn't aware which, though), so that plot twist wasn't really a twist. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be. It definitely got me interested in the second season, but only when the price is right (or it comes to PS+). I was a little disappointed with how little they used the crime scene puzzle mechanics though, where you find evidence and have to piece the clues together. And the few times that the mechanic was used, it was way too easy. Hope the sequel has more of that and it's harder.

Spoiler

PS+ Titles

Batman [+31] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Retail

LEGO City Undercover [+9] {+13%}

Sonic Forces [+3] {+5%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Borderlands [+2] {+2%}

Unstarted

NEW GAME: The Amazing Spider-Man [47] {Retail}

Edited by madbuk

LH922b2e.jpg

Progress Update: #241 - Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness

1L55f8af.png

Disappointing. The first playthrough was okay, really nothing special and nothing stood out about it, but it was okay. Then I reloaded a save to get the second ending. Then I reloaded a much earlier save and that's where it began to fall apart for me.

The skip function in this game is trash. Most VNs give you an option to skip text you have already read, and it'll stop you whenever you get to a new scene or a new piece of dialogue you haven't seen before. This game doesn't do that. It offers you the ability to skip what you've already read but it doesn't actually work - if you're rewatching a scene you've already watched on a different route, if even one word has changed since you last watched it, you have to rewatch the entire thing. You can't skip to that one new word and then continue, no, you have to go through all the textboxes in that scene manually until you get to something that is actually significantly new. I wasn't putting up with that. Not in a game this generic and long, so I skipped through all the playthroughs after the first 2 endings, and from what I saw as the game flashed before my eyes, nothing really changed. There were new scenes here and there where you get to learn more about the generic cast of anime protagonists, but the outcome is always the same thing really. You always arrive at the same final destination, unless you end up getting an unsatisfying 'bad ending' where you kill yourself off before you can reach the final set of choices. The music in this was also very lackluster - the music in other VNs I've played can help to elevate a scene to great lengths - Steins;Gate is great at that - but the music in this doesn't do that because it's so generic and bland, like the rest of the game.

Another issue, which is a personal one but still hindered my enjoyment, is the amount of Japanese names they throw at you all at once and expect you to memorize. In Steins;Gate, it's a bit more friendly to western readers by giving you short and recognizable names like Daru, Faris, Okabe, etc. In Psycho-Pass, I have no idea how to even spell any of these names apart from Kogami, Alpha, and Kagari. I eventually got used to it but it was very jarring at first.

I feel awful about skipping through this game after the first 2 endings, but I just couldn't deal with playing it another 30 or so times with only very minor alterations here and there. I got the gist of the other endings via the graphics that were displayed during the skip and that's enough for me. I'm glad I didn't pay for this and got it from PS+ instead.

Spoiler

PS+ Titles

NEW GAME: Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness [+36] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Borderlands [+3] {+9%}

NEW: One Piece: Pirate Warriors [1]

Unstarted

NEW GAME: One Piece: Pirate Warriors [37] {Digital}

NEW GAME: Rime [32] {PS+}

NEW GAME: Spider-Man: Edge of Time [48] {Retail}

NEW GAME: Stories: The Path of Destinies [38] {PS+}

NEW GAME: Tales of Graces f [50] {Digital}

Unpurchased DLCs

PURCHASED: Assassin's Creed Origins The Hidden Ones [Assassin's Creed Origins] 

LH7aacb0.jpg

Progress Update: #242 - Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

1L39775a.png

I finally got around to buying this after enjoying Transformed enough to do it twice, and this definitely didn't disappoint. Transformed has some neat additions, like the game telling you what level your boost is more clearly and the sticker collection, but this one has so much more variety in mission types which I appreciated a lot. It was disappointingly short though, got the platinum done in under 10 in-game hours, I was hoping it'd be a lot longer - especially since the game ended up being so enjoyable. The grind for miles was rather tedious though, but nothing too bad. The music in this was rather nostalgic too, there are multiple tracks from games like Sonic Heroes and Sonic Rush which I played quite a lot. This and Transformed are great racing games and I can't wait to see what Sumo do next, since there is heavy evidence that they're currently developing another Sonic racer, and Sonic's future gets announced next month, so maybe Sonic & All-Stars 3 will be announced in less than a month :o

Spoiler

Retail

NEW GAME: Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing [+50] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Borderlands [+1] {+1%}

NEW: Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing [+4]

• Like 1

LH6f7259.jpg

Progress Update: #243 - Rime

1Ld9bf75.png

This was a great game. None of the puzzles were very complex or challenging but that's fine, it was satisfying to solve them and progress anyway. I also really enjoyed the platforming aspect as well, it's like the Uncharted climbing but actually good. The story didn't really hit me as hard as it supposedly did for other people, but that may be because I ended up confused about certain aspects, but I'll avoid going into that because spoilers. Considering this is on PS+ this month, I can definitely recommend it. It's also a very pretty game with various unique environments, and it never felt like it was dragging on or getting too repetitive. This game has interested me since release, but never enough to actually buy it, and I'm very glad PS+ finally gave me the opportunity to play it. It was worth the wait. Also, as a side-note, Knack is also free this month and is also an excellent game that I can recommend playing.

Spoiler

PS+ Titles

Rime [+32] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Retail

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [+2] {+3%}

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [+2]

• Like 1

LHd60920.jpg

Progress Update: #244 - Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

1L75ed0b.png

This was a fun game and I liked that there was a main overarching plot thread that played out throughout all the cases in the background, to stop them from feeling disjointed. The gameplay loop of examining crime scenes, interviewing suspects, piecing together the clues to work out who's guilty, is very satisfying. I enjoyed this more than L.A. Noire and the previous Sherlock Holmes game, and I also like that the trophy list wasn't too demanding either so it was a fun game to just casually play through. I did fail two of the cases, unfortunately, but it was my own fault and not the game's lack of conclusive evidence, and I liked that the game lets you go back to try a different conclusion if you fail. I can definitely recommend this game on a sale but it's a bit short to justify full price.

Spoiler

Retail

Assassin's Creed Origins [+2] {+3%}

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [+14] {+18%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Persona 4 Golden [+2] {+3%}

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter [+25] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

• Like 2

LH91174b.jpg

Progress Update: #245 - Gravity Rush 2

1Lf8b92e.png

Gravity Rush 2 was a satisfying follow-up to the original but I still can't help feeling slightly betrayed that it wasn't on Vita, since Vita is still alive and well and it's the device that made Gravity Rush popular in the first place. After getting the plat for the first game I had hoped that this game would change up the combat to be a little less simple and repetitive, and to an extent it did actually do that - it introduced new combat styles with various uses and movesets. Honestly though I never used the Jupiter style and only ever used the Luna style for flying enemies so it was basically the same experience as Gravity Rush for me, combat wise. Also, Gravity Rush 2 offers a lot more extra content than the original game did. You still have the challenge missions and collectibles, but on top of those there are 49 side missions. While this is a welcome inclusion, I did feel like a lot of the side missions dragged on a bit too long. I also like the setting of this, it introduces an entirely new city to the franchise and you still get to explore the town from the original game. I played the original Gravity Rush in January (as a stack), but flying around the city in Gravity Rush 2 just felt so nostalgic for some reason even though it had no right to be. I would often ignore the main/side missions and just fly around gathering gems instead. The story went a bit off rails in the final chapter I felt but there's no denying that this feels like the final entry to the series, which is a shame because I'd love to see more, this is such a unique and enjoyable concept for a game which is something that's hard to find these days. I hope we see the series come back, maybe as a reboot or a prequel or a side-story or even a sequel, who knows, if we get more I'm happy.

Spoiler

Retail

Assassin's Creed Origins [+3] {+3%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Gravity Rush 2 [+37] {+84%}

Edited by madbuk

• 2 weeks later...

LH91174b.jpg

LH188d6a.jpg

Progress Update: #246 - The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

1L000c38.png

This game definitely shows its age. A lot of slowdown and some very ugly textures may end up ruining this for certain people, but I could put up with that. The controls are also archaic, tank controls on a PS3 game? Why? It controls perfectly fine in first person but god help you if you try and do this entirely in third person. I did really like the story. Of the three Sherlock Holmes games I've played, this Sherlock felt the most arrogant, but that aided the plot and made him more unique than the other two, keeping the story fresh and unpredictable. It felt like it slogged towards the end, especially in the funfair chapter I just wanted to see what happened next in the story instead of running around trying to find an interactable object to progress with. I did end up resorting to a guide at points, mainly in the last two areas or so because the puzzles started getting too hard for someone as dumb as me. This was definitely worth playing but I do wish I hadn't played the two newest entries before it, because that probably hindered my enjoyment a little. The other games were good at pointing you in the right direction if you need it without outright giving you the solution, in this game you get no help.

Spoiler

Retail

NEW GAME: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes [+33] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

NEW GAME: Driveclub Bikes [+5] {+8%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Gravity Rush 2 [+11] {+16%} (COMPLETE!)

One Piece Pirate Warriors [+32] {+78%}

Unstarted

NEW GAME: One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 [40] {Retail}

Edited by madbuk

LH8ef01d.jpg

Progress Update: #247 - Driveclub Bikes

1Lc23076.png

Driveclub is an incredible game, and my second favourite racing game (behind WipEout Omega Collection). Regardless of how phenomenal the original Driveclub was though, I was very skeptical about Driveclub Bikes. My previous experience with bikes in games are Burnout Paradise, which I hated everything about (including the car stuff), and MotoGP 13, which infuriated me because you had to get the balancing just right or you constantly fall off the bikes. Thankfully, Driveclub gets rid of that aspect of MotoGP. You can lean on your bike as much as you want and you wont fall off, though wheelies and stoppies can still unbalance you if you're not careful. This made it much more enjoyable for me, and I loved this just as much as the original DC. It has the perfect level of challenge - some very tough events, especially in the DLC, but nothing that ever feels impossible or unfair. It's a crime that Sony decided to throw away this clearly talented team of people, just like they threw away the developers of WipEout. Sony don't want good racing games on their consoles, I guess. It's going to be hard for a racing game to top this, and finishing it was a very sad moment because we're never getting anymore of it. I'll miss this franchise even though we only got 3 games.

Spoiler

Retail

Driveclub Bikes [+46] {+92%} (COMPLETE!)

Unpurchased DLC

NEW: Assassin's Creed Origins® - The Curse Of the Pharaohs [Assassin's Creed Origins] {£15.99}

Edited by madbuk

• 2 weeks later...

LH04148a.jpg

Progress Update: #248 - Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

1Lb42902.png

This game was worthy of being my second pre-order ever. I loved every minute of this 85 hour platinum, and am rather sad it's finally over. The changes to combat from Ni no Kuni 1 are great, I wasn't really a fun of the ATB system or the Pokemon taming system, because RNG is annoying and the familiar taming relied solely on RNG. This game does have an issue with difficulty - it's ridiculously easy for most of the game, the only exception being the tainted monsters, and so you rarely use any of the many mechanics introduced in this game, but that's okay. It was fun anyway to enter a fight and beat everything up with little resistance. The kingdom building mode was a lot of fun, I was worried it was going to be like Port Royale 3 which I never managed to understand and thus put myself in endless debt, but the kingdom building mode isn't nearly as complicated and you can't 'lose' by entering debt, it's just constant growth. It's neat to see your kingdom evolve as you progress through the game and recruit new citizens. The kingdom was also great for farming resources and resulted in almost no issue with crafting stuff in the game. The "craft 50 x" trophies were a cakewalk and the side quest items that needed crafting weren't too complicated - I much prefer this to the infuriatingly low drop rates of some of the alchemy items in the first game, because again RNG is annoying. I will admit that the characters (outside of Roland and Evan) weren't very deep or interesting, and had very little development, but the story of the game made up for the lack of interesting characters and kept me engaged from start to end, although I do have a few questions, especially in regards to late-game, that were never answered. The skirmishes are probably the weakest part of the experience, they're very repetitive and bland, but once you get the right set-up you breeze through them so you don't have to be playing them for long. Overall I'd say that this game is without a doubt better than the first game, and it's sad to see it getting so much hate in certain communities. I'd love to see a Ni no Kuni III at some stage, preferably without another 5-7 year wait between them. I can't wait to see what DLC they have in store for this, they've said 2 story expansions, but we have no information about them yet.

Spoiler

Retail

Assassin's Creed: Origins [+4] {+5%}

NEW GAME: Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom [+51] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Darksiders II [+8] {+11%}

Unstarted

NEW GAME: LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham [45] {Digital}

NEW GAME: LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Universe in Peril [53] {Digital}

NEW GAME: LEGO Movie: The Videogame [35] {Digital}

• 2 weeks later...

LH684666.jpg

Progress Update: #249 - Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

1La7bbdd.png

After Insomniac's Spider-Man game got its release date revealed, I decided it was finally time to go back to this game and finish it. I also have Amazing Spider-Man and Edge of Time which I want to get through before September too. I had originally started this game a year ago, but despite enjoying it I dropped it because it was similar to Batman, and I still had Arkham Origins to finish. I still haven't finished Batman AO, and at this point idk if I ever will, but oh well. This was a great game. The concept of having 4 unique Spider-Man in one game is interesting, although honestly Noir is the only one that feels different - Amazing, Ultimate and 2099 feel identical. Noir was fun for the original playthrough but it really doesn't feel suited to the platinum rank time trials you need to do. Timed stealth isn't enjoyable. The story is very forgettable and some of the levels dragged on a bit, but other than that there's not much to really complain about. There's nothing really outstanding to comment on either, but that's fine. If you can find this cheap (which you probably can't. S-M games are rather expensive, especially since you can't get them digitally anymore), it's worth a play. 

Spoiler

PS+ Titles

NEW GAME: Futuridium EP Deluxe [+8] {+47%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

LEGO Movie: The Videogame [+10] {+14%}

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions [+40] {+96%} (COMPLETE!)

• 3 weeks later...

LHfb43e9.jpg

Progress Update: #250 - God of War

1L13ff8b.png

Disappointing. Mainly in regards to the story, but I won't go into that to avoid spoilers, even though the story isn't very good anyway. The gameplay was extremely repetitive, and the "wide linear" style of it, similar to Tomb Raider, just wasn't very fun. In Tomb Raider, exploring is fairly meaningless, but it's fun, thanks to the (heavily flawed) traversal mechanics and puzzle design. This game doesn't have that. The grounded nature of it, thanks to there being no jump, and the incredibly slow and tedious climbing sections that have no challenge whatsoever, and the copy/paste puzzles throughout the whole game just make it extremely tedious to get from a to b and gather collectibles. I wasn't enjoying the combat until late-game, when they introduce a new mechanic that makes it a lot better. Even then, I still missed the old God of War style. Not really a fan of the weighty Dark Souls style combat that this game decided to go with, it just feels clunky and awkward. There were some great customization options though, and you could tailor your playstyle however you wanted. I favoured strength and cooldown, but there's no right or wrong build, it all comes down to personal preference, and I liked that at least. However, in regards to gear, it did get very tedious having to stop every time you get a new rune to sit and watch a 5 second video to see what a rune actually does. Then you have to go back to other runes and watch their 5 second videos, then watch the 5 second video of the other rune to compare, and switch back and forth until you decide which one is better. The videos could've definitely been shorter, those seconds may not seem like a big deal, but they quickly add up. I liked that Atreus added to the gameplay on top of being your companion for the journey, instead of him just being a useless companion like Ellie (Sure, she throws you ammo very rarely, but that's hardly a game-changer.)

While there are definitely parts of this game to like, in no way does it deserve a 10/10 in my eyes, and if given the choice, I would choose to go back to the old style GoW games in a heartbeat. Maybe making the sequel to this more linear would help, everything outside the story was just meaningless bloat anyway. 

Spoiler

Retail

NEW GAME: God of War [+37] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Digital {Excluding PS+}

Tales of Xillia 2 [+28] {+52%}

Unstarted

NEW GAME: The Amazing Spider-Man [42] {Retail}

• 2 weeks later...

LH3b2253.jpg

Progress Update: #251 - Stories: The Path of Destinies

1L13453f.png

When this originally came to PS+, I was interested in it but there must've been other games at the time because I didn't get around to actually playing it (until now). Now that I have finally played it, I can't say it was as good as I thought it was going to be. It outstays its welcome by about 20 playthroughs. This game has a big emphasis on choices, but despite having 25 different endings, the differences aren't big enough to really make playing through it so many times worthwhile. Add to that there are only about 7 different levels, and you have an extremely repetitive, monotonous game. Also, the ability to skip cutscenes doesn't really work properly. The prompt to skip appears, but sometimes it doesn't actually work, so you're stuck rewatching the same boring cutscene(s) over and over on each run. The combat was actually kind of fun, although it's extremely basic (and occasionally, you would bug out and start floating, unable to hit enemies or move at all, meaning you had to reset the checkpoint), and it's a beautiful game. The exploration aspect wasn't too impressive because all the side paths were incredibly obvious and simply locked behind gates you needed upgrades for, and after you get every type of gem, you have no reason to explore anymore. I'm glad I got around to playing this finally, because it does have some likable aspects, but the monotony really hurts it unfortunately. I'd be a little interested in a sequel if it gets some much needed improvements.

Spoiler

PS+ Titles

NEW GAME: Rayman Legends [+47] {+92%}

NEW GAME: Stories: The Path of Destinies [+38] {+100%} (COMPLETE!)

Retail

The Amazing Spider-Man [+14] {+28%}

Digital {Excluding PS+}

LEGO Movie: The Videogame [+10] {+18%}

Tales of Xillia 2 [+10] {+15%}

Unstarted

NEW GAME: Yakuza 0 [55] {Digital}

On 4/26/2018 at 9:44 AM, madbuk said:

Progress Update: #250 - God of War

~snip~

It sounds like what you want is to play right where God of War III left off, where Kratos kills Zeus and we are left with that cliffhanger where we see blood after the end of the credit sequence.

I'm not a fan of Kratos son Arteus. He sounds like your stereotypical American kid who wants to do things his way and gets upset when he can't do what he wants to. The combat is a lot slower than it was in the past God of War games which offput me since the idea of Kratos hacking and decapitating his enemies was basically the entire selling point of the series.

I've played for a few hours and the only thing I can really comment on that has been fantastic is the graphics. The graphics even on my vanilla PS4 are simply phenomenal. The backgrounds were done extremely well and the aesthetics really show when you first encounter the witch.

This new God of War has the slowest start of all the games I've played. The God of War trilogy on the PS2 and PS3 threw you right into the action, no padding needed.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

It sounds like what you want is to play right where God of War III left off, where Kratos kills Zeus and we are left with that cliffhanger where we see blood after the end of the credit sequence.

I'm not a fan of Kratos son Arteus. He sounds like your stereotypical American kid who wants to do things his way and gets upset when he can't do what he wants to. The combat is a lot slower than it was in the past God of War games which offput me since the idea of Kratos hacking and decapitating his enemies was basically the entire selling point of the series.

I've played for a few hours and the only thing I can really comment on that has been fantastic is the graphics. The graphics even on my vanilla PS4 are simply phenomenal. The backgrounds were done extremely well and the aesthetics really show when you first encounter the witch.

This new God of War has the slowest start of all the games I've played. The God of War trilogy on the PS2 and PS3 threw you right into the action, no padding needed.

I'm fine with a timeskip as long as they actually bother to explain it.

Also, the game doesn't have a slow start. It's that slow for the whole game lol, the mediocre plot moves at a snails pace.

1 minute ago, madbuk said:

I'm fine with a timeskip as long as they actually bother to explain it.

Also, the game doesn't have a slow start. It's that slow for the whole game lol, the mediocre plot moves at a snails pace.

Well you would think they would continue right where God of War III left off right?

How did Kratos travel up north? Who helped him? How did he meet Arteus's mother? What was the reason for him going up there?

He basically killed all the major Greek gods and left the entire area a mess.

• Like 1