What is it with this game and sales?

When The Talos Principle was released, I thought it was way too expensive. It's €40 where about half the price should do.

Then, around December 2015 - January 2016, it went on sale for 50% off. Thinking that was the price it should have started on, I skipped it and decided to wait on another sale.

March - April saw another 50% price drop, 55% for PS+. And now, in May-June, we've seen it drop to 62,5% off, 72,5% for PS+.

https://psprices.com/region-nl/game/114216/the-talos-principle

These sales follow each other so quickly that I decided not to buy it even though for €11 the game will almost definitely be worth it for me, just because I still have enough in my backlog and the game will probably be on an even bigger sale in a month or three.

What do you all think? Are people happy with these sales? Will you now wait for a "free on PS+" entry or just one more lower sale? Are these sales happening too often, or should more games be on sale this often, or should this game just have had a lower starting price?

When The Talos Principle was released, I thought it was way too expensive. It's €40 where about half the price should do.

Then, around December 2015 - January 2016, it went on sale for 50% off. Thinking that was the price it should have started on, I skipped it and decided to wait on another sale.

March - April saw another 50% price drop, 55% for PS+. And now, in May-June, we've seen it drop to 62,5% off, 72,5% for PS+.

https://psprices.com/region-nl/game/114216/the-talos-principle

These sales follow each other so quickly that I decided not to buy it even though for €11 the game will almost definitely be worth it for me, just because I still have enough in my backlog and the game will probably be on an even bigger sale in a month or three.

What do you all think? Are people happy with these sales? Will you now wait for a "free on PS+" entry or just one more lower sale? Are these sales happening too often, or should more games be on sale this often, or should this game just have had a lower starting price?

Sales have been lacking lately overall. Just seems to be the same ones recycled over and over. Guess I shouldn't complain. Been saving a lot of money cause pretty much any game I would want I bought already.

Sales have been lacking lately overall. Just seems to be the same ones recycled over and over. Guess I shouldn't complain. Been saving a lot of money cause pretty much any game I would want I bought already.

I know what you mean. I bought TWD Michonne last week because it was on a 50% sale, my first sale purchase since April. I have enough in my backlog (8 games on PS4, 10 on PS3 and 54 'free' games I still want to play) so there's no rush, and of the titles I want to play, much I already have or is just not entering a good sale.

I know what you mean. I bought TWD Michonne last week because it was on a 50% sale, my first sale purchase since April. I have enough in my backlog (8 games on PS4, 10 on PS3 and 54 'free' games I still want to play) so there's no rush, and of the titles I want to play, much I already have or is just not entering a good sale.

Like The Wolf Among Us. See it on sale for the PS3 and PS4. Never for the Vita. Granted some of its due to already having the games but they never mix it up. Like the Wolf Among Us example.

Like The Wolf Among Us. See it on sale for the PS3 and PS4. Never for the Vita. Granted some of its due to already having the games but they never mix it up. Like the Wolf Among Us example.

Don't know which sales you're getting but over here in the main EU market, Wolf Among Us is actually on sale for the VIta quite frequently - right now, in fact.

https://psprices.com/region-nl/game/65895/the-wolf-among-us-the-complete-first-season

Over here Telltale Games titles seem to be on a sale way too often, which is why I decided not to buy them full price any more. Putting season passes on sale before a single DLC has been released is just ridiculous, and they did this multiple times.

Don't know which sales you're getting but over here in the main EU market, Wolf Among Us is actually on sale for the VIta quite frequently - right now, in fact.

https://psprices.com/region-nl/game/65895/the-wolf-among-us-the-complete-first-season

Over here Telltale Games titles seem to be on a sale way too often, which is why I decided not to buy them full price any more. Putting season passes on sale before a single DLC has been released is just ridiculous, and they did this multiple times.

US sales tend to be a lot different it seems

I think the developer sees sales spurts when they can get attention for being in the "Sale" section and if they were to lower their price, they would be in with all the other noise in the background so unless a person was very specifically looking for that title, they wouldn't be noticed.

As long as they can keep their product in the sale section, and moving units, they have no incentive to drop their price. In fact, since they would probably get some negative attention for raising their price if they tried, it is in their best interest to keep the regular price where it is, keep it in the sale section until they recoup their costs, then just leave it at regular price afterward. Each sale once they're in the red would provide much more margin.

Face it, the great majority of people are sheep and refuse to become informed consumers. You're a minority. There isn't a "too often" sale circumstance. Once a product hits your "worth it" price, it doesn't matter anymore. You just happen to keep lowering your worth it price as you see how they treat their game.

If anything more games should have higher starting prices. They're cheaper now than they ever have been and people have devalued video games to an extreme I didn't think we'd see, ever. It's almost as if people devaluing the games caused more developers to go digital so they can take back control of the pricing by eliminating the 2nd hand market for digital-only titles. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
54 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

I got this for only £9 mostly, I think it is worth it.

Yeah, I bought it in the end in the sale that was on during my previous post. Knowing what I know now, I would've gladly paid at least €20 for the game, and I'll buy the sequel much sooner after release.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...