Become a Trophy Hunter! Any Tips?

JJay_Rudd

AbWDB4f.jpg

:platinum: Hey all, I've been thinking of getting into Trophy Hunting and was wondering if any of you are willing to share any tips to be successful when Trophy Hunting! :platinum: 

I have a good understanding on how to go by in getting trophies, I already have 5 Platinums and 1600+ Trophies. But I only really go for trophies in games that I really enjoy. But I want to start getting more and more Platinums. 

So if any of you have any tips on how to get these Platinums faster, easier, and have more of an enjoyable time doing so I would love to hear them.

:platinum: Thanks :platinum:  

• Like 1

If you want to amass trophies easily and most likely hate yourself for doing it. Go for easy, shitty games. If you want to have fun getting platinums go for games you enjoy, if you happen to get a few ultra rare plats... awesome, if not... Oh well. 

Play games that you like!

Just read the trophyguide before playing a game. Be aware of spoilers!

There are a lot games with quick and easy trophies.......,but be aware of all the shitty games out there^^ It is your leisure time!

*edit:

Use the "Gaming Session" feature for multiplayer trophies. Had a lot of fun with other trophyhunters.

Edited by tagiXD

Speaking as someone who became an achievement hunter, bought stupid games for easy completions and hated himself for it, lost interest in gaming before he could try again with trophies and now has trophy notifications turned off much of the time...

I'd say pick your battles. You can keep it up a lot longer if you enjoy what you're doing. Keeping at stupid games just for easy completions is not for everyone and could easily ruin your joy in gaming.

Play for fun first then go for trophies, although i can't speak much since i've been trophy whoring this whole month.

I second this advice, minus the latter part since I haven't been trophy whoring. I still kick myself from time to time because I read up on the Mass Effect series before playing them so I could maximise my completion percentage. Some games should be experienced before you start looking at the trophies, which is exactly why I have trophy notifications turned off (for first time playing story driven games).

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

Speking as someone who became an achievement hunter, bought stupid games for easy completions and hated himself for it, lost interest in gaming before he could try again with trophies and now has trophy notifications turned off much of the time...

I'd say pick your battles. You can keep it up a lot longer if you enjoy what you're doing. Keeping at stupid games just for easy completions is not for everyone and could easily ruin your joy in gaming.

I second this advice, minus the latter part since I haven't been trophy whoring. I still kick myself from time to time because I read up on the Mass Effect series before playing them so I could maximise my completion percentage. Some games should be experienced before you start looking at the trophies, which is exactly why I have trophy notifications turned off (for first time playing story driven games).

I understand where you coming from, I don't think I'm going to go out and buy games for the platinum because I don't want to start disliking games. I think I may stick to platinuming games that I really enjoy. Thanks for the feed back and tips.

• Like 1

I would suggest looking at some of the community events on here, they can add another dimension to trophy hunting imo and make it more enjoyable for me. I particularly like the Trophy Hunters League and also the Project Platinums, both well worth looking into.

Otherwise, a miixture of games you'll enjoy mixed with some games you want to try out is good I think. Maybe set yourself some little goals regarding the stats on your profile. Trying to increase your completion to X% by the end of the year for example, something challenging but attainable. 

• Like 1

my biggest hate is having to complete games on like 4 different playthrough. So unless you enjoy that I would check if you need multiple play through and check if the game is still able to be Platinum because a lot of games that need a few online ones are no longer able to be achieved. Enjoy the game and story first and then go back and try to get the ones you missed. Also have a few games on rotation so it doesn't become a grind and a pain to get them. 

• Like 1

I understand where you coming from, I don't think I'm going to go out and buy games for the platinum because I don't want to start disliking games. I think I may stick to platinuming games that I really enjoy. Thanks for the feed back and tips.

My first thought when I saw you quoting my post: "Shit, I mistyped 'Speaking'!"

If you're just looking to 100% games you already like and would play, then perhaps the best tip (in my eyes) has already been mentioned: take a look at the gaming sessions to boost multiplayer trophies. Many games with multiplayer have crazy stupid trophies:

http://psnprofiles.com/trophy/83-The-Chronicles-of-Riddick-Assault-on-Dark-Athena/39-Basic-Weapon-Handling-level-3

Whatever you do, I think a really important one is resist the urge to examine all trophies before you first play a story driven game. The risk of an extra playthrough outweighs being spoiled beforehand.

I would suggest looking at some of the community events on here, they can add another dimension to trophy hunting imo and make it more enjoyable for me. I particularly like the Trophy Hunters League and also the Project Platinums, both well worth looking into.

Otherwise, a miixture of games you'll enjoy mixed with some games you want to try out is good I think. Maybe set yourself some little goals regarding the stats on your profile. Trying to increase your completion to X% by the end of the year for example, something challenging but attainable. 

Project Platinum is definitely a good place to start with and whether its the overall images/artwork and the theme of the thread  or just a series you really love it's fun working towards getting higher ranks in Project Platinum adds to the fun :)

If you have the time/resources/money try alternating/playing at the same time between easy plats and stuff that you just want to play.

As others have mentioned, always check for missable/difficulty specific trophies.

I'll add to that check if the game has online trophies and the servers are still up/if they're going down soon.

Never do what I did at one point and use the trophy advisor to just get the first/most common trophies in lots of games... that'll tank your completion % real bad (0%s don't count toward it, but 1% does)

Oh, and last thing:
Sound Shapes

Edited by lednatius
  • Like 1

Your only rule should be to totally enjoy it. Don't stick to any habits or rules and just play whatever you want.
In terms of the trophies, it will develop itself over time. The more plats you have, the more you will form a personal habit of choosing your games. Your taste might also completely change in the progress. Trophy hunting made me play soooo god damn many  great games, i would've never played as a "normal" just for fun gamer.

Congratulations on joining this great hobby and welcome to the family :)

my best advice continue only going for games you really enjoy don't just play for trophies or you will like in previous posters words you will begin to hate yourself or atleast hate playing

as for plating games my advice never give up if u cant figure something out we are here to help be it advice, telling you strait up how to do it, or teaming up with u to get it

if its something hard to do well persistance is always good no game is unbeatable if a bunch of people have got the trophy then that says its perfectly possible

there will be glitched trophies dont let that disuade you we are decent at ferreting them out and figuring out work arounds and also at pestering the game designers to patch them :D

over all play games because you love playing games not just to get trophies if u arnt enjoying it its pointless trophies at the end of the day are worthless in value but worth alot to yourself because u had the skill to achieve them and that gives them value 

and i personally wont judge if u happen to like hannah montana and u went for the gimme platinum :P or telltale games where u pretty much get platinum for playing to the end

1. Buy a game you like, not just for trophies (learned that the hard way.)

2. Always always read trophy guides before playing a game. Most have spoiler tags or something to hide story related trophies so dont worry.

3. Look for missables in order to avoid a 2nd playthrough or wasted time.

4. This shouldve been step 1 but look out for online trophies since older games tend to have closed servers or no players rendering platinum unobtainable.

5. Expect to boost a lot of the online trophies if it is an older game or if the singleplayer was good but online was "meh" or boring.( I'm looking at you arkham origins).

6. With dedication, perseverance, enjoy your new plat ;)

Don't be as me sir, when i seriously began hunting trophies i wanted to get as many as possible. But look good what you have time for.

Play the games you want to play first and this is very important: DON'T BUY TO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!!

Because that is what i did, i think i wasted a lot of money on this because now i have so much games on my list that it is impossible for me to ever play them all.

The only reason is because i bought them in advance, only with the tought that i will play them sometime. This time won't come probably because i have around 200!!!! AAA games on my list in which my progress can be described with a big fat 0%, they are all great games like the fallout series, bioshock and borderlands. All those kind of games are great but i played Spongebob Squarepants in the meantime for some easy golds. Don't do that to much because it really ruins the fun. Because that is the most important thing to remember, gaming is about fun, if trophies is the fun for you ( it is still for me, got 2 plats this weekend, one autopop, i know shame on me) then play it, but my advice, don't let it be the main point in buying a game because that is going to backfire

I know someone probably said this already but, it depends on how extreme you plan on getting with it. Ask yourself a few questions first:

1. Are you worried about your completion % to the point of not wanting to add a game to your trophy list?

2. Do you buy games based on if it has trophies and if those trophies are easy or hard?

3. Are you a fan of online trophies? :P

4. Are you willing to grind out a trophy just to earn that platinum or score that ultra rare?

5. The biggest thing: Time Management!

Trophy hunting means alot of different things to alot of different people. The trick is to find your path, have FUN and then....go for it.

Edited by The_Blackout_Kid

It's good to read you want to platinum games you enjoy, the problem more than often though is that completing a game you enjoy is great fun, achieving 100% can be tedious, irritating and once done you never want to pick it back up again.

Here are my tips

• Check genre, game reviews and gameplay footage
  • Are there unattainable or glitched trophies?
  • Estimated time to completion
  • Difficulty
  • Missable Trophies
  • DLC and cost (for example you need a PS Vita for LBP 2, DLC's for Call of Duty Black ops are pricey)
  • Online trophies and do you need to boost
  • How much time do you have? Be realistic on what you can do in the time you have
  • First playthrough try and avoid guides otherwise you end up playing a game for the trophies and not the experience. Of course this depends on the size of the game and whether missable trophies would mean having to replay 20 hours.
  • Don't play a game solely for it's trophies. For example I groan at anybody with Hannah Montana on their profile
  • Keep a spreadsheet for your progress. Especially helpful for long grind games like 100% on Uncharted 2/3. Also helpful for tracking requirements in SSF4.