PlayStation VR games discussion for VR players

Oobedoob S Benubi

• 6 months later...

I’m back in the VR game again, going to give it a second chance however I’m still a little sceptical. I did only play on it for an hour on Thursday and maybe I was a little tired because the two experiences I had weren’t great, I did the demo of Here they Lie and also Battlezone which initially was spectacular but found myself breaking out in a sweat and feeing rather sick. I liked the demo of Tiny tracks though. 

Is Battlezone considered one of those games where you do experience motion sickness if you aren’t used to VR? Will be persevering with it to hopefully get some good enjoyment out of the set, are there any games you would particularly recommend? 

56 minutes ago, gazdavis11 said:

I’m back in the VR game again, going to give it a second chance however I’m still a little sceptical. I did only play on it for an hour on Thursday and maybe I was a little tired because the two experiences I had weren’t great, I did the demo of Here they Lie and also Battlezone which initially was spectacular but found myself breaking out in a sweat and feeing rather sick. I liked the demo of Tiny tracks though. 

Is Battlezone considered one of those games where you do experience motion sickness if you aren’t used to VR? Will be persevering with it to hopefully get some good enjoyment out of the set, are there any games you would particularly recommend? 

With what experience I have (played both those demoes and a bunch of other stuff), those two definitely aren't the best first experiences. Your body isn't used to VR yet, so moving is weird. Got to give your senses some time to understand that it's okay if your eyes tell you you're moving when the rest of your body says differently.

Personally, I think it's weird how many devs try to figure out how to get moving and first person right jn VR while the medium is great for stuff where you sit still, like with looking around for puzzles or sitting in a jet fighter.

I thought Playroom VR was brilliant but for most you'll need another player. Not an insane amount of moving involved and what there is is mostly at a slow pace.

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes - another game that needs a co-op partner but I thought it was pretty cool.

EVE: Gunjack - sitting in your cannon, looking around and shooting stuff.

Batman: Arkham VR - haven't played the full game yet but the first part in the mansion/Batcave is just looking around at stuff, doing things while standing still.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cubone said:

Has anyone tried watching a 3D Blu-ray yet? Apparently this was made possible with an update a few months ago.

Also @gazdavis11, have you tried some stationary VR games yet? How are you doing?

I had another go last night, first tried that Anywhere VR, you can’t get much more stationary than that! I moved onto Playroom VR, demo of headmaster, harmonix (I think it’s called) and ocean descent which were all fine. 

Is it best to use the headset stood up or sat down? 

Well, I just got my VR set and I tried out a few things.

Spider-Man Homecoming VR

A five minute VR commercial for the movie, obviously made on a budget but fun nontheless, it's free after all. I feel like if you own Batman: Arkham VR then you have zero reasons to play this thingie unless you're a Spidey fan.

Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood

Wouldn't have bought it myself but luckily, PS+ adds PSVR games now. Played the first level. Well, at least it knows how to do a difficulty/G-force curve, the game starts out pretty smooth. I guess it's a fun little on-rails shooter, nothing amazing but it doesn't need to be.

Farpoint

Holy crap, this is awesome. Yeah as a sci-fi nut I can probably guess all story elements and twists right now, but it looks so damn good...

16 minutes ago, gazdavis11 said:

I had another go last night, first tried that Anywhere VR, you can’t get much more stationary than that! I moved onto Playroom VR, demo of headmaster, harmonix (I think it’s called) and ocean descent which were all fine. 

Is it best to use the headset stood up or sat down? 

Good to hear it's going better, though with the titles you started on it almost had to be :)

Personally I like to sit down, but I have some issues with my back/neck and having VR on my head is punishment enough.

14 hours ago, Cubone said:

Has anyone tried watching a 3D Blu-ray yet? Apparently this was made possible with an update a few months ago.

I did, it's so much better then regular 3D glasses, I've only seen one 3D movie in the thatre, and I found it too dark and I didn't enjoy it at all, that's not the case with the VR, they look exactly the same, they're bright and don't look like your watching movies with sunglasses on. I did felt a little lightheaded though, just like one does while playing VR for the first time, that was right when the update came out though, I'll have to try it again once I'm more used to VR in general.

3 hours ago, Cubone said:

Farpoint

Holy crap, this is awesome. Yeah as a sci-fi nut I can probably guess all story elements and twists right now, but it looks so damn good...

I haven't gotten too far into the game yet, but it's one of my favorite VR games. The aim controller looks stupid, but it really immerses you into the game. I really loved actually looking through the sight to aim the gun instead of pressing a button to do so.

Batman VR was a pretty good experience. I think the only problem I had with it was throwing batarangs. I'm probably just bad at throwing them, but they tended to lock onto the wrong targets.

Also RE7 is great in VR. It can get SUPER creepy! Unfortunately, I found out that I can't use the fluid turns, so I stuck with the 30 degree increments. It kind of sucks when running away from enemies since I panic and forget about the instant 180 degree turn lol.

4 hours ago, Devil_Spooky said:

I did, it's so much better then regular 3D glasses, I've only seen one 3D movie in the thatre, and I found it too dark and I didn't enjoy it at all, that's not the case with the VR, they look exactly the same, they're bright and don't look like your watching movies with sunglasses on. I did felt a little lightheaded though, just like one does while playing VR for the first time, that was right when the update came out though, I'll have to try it again once I'm more used to VR in general.

I tried it for a little bit yesterday after setting up my psvr set (but I only have one or two 3D Blu-ray discs because I don't have a 3D television) and it looked pretty cool on the largest screen setting. Don't know if it's worth the hassle of wearing the VR set for me though.

3 hours ago, shimosabe said:

I haven't gotten too far into the game yet, but it's one of my favorite VR games. The aim controller looks stupid, but it really immerses you into the game. I really loved actually looking through the sight to aim the gun instead of pressing a button to do so.

Yeah I completely forgot to talk about this when I posted (it was past midnight for me) but realising I was actually closing my non-dominant eye as I aimed was a powerful moment for me. 

Batman VR was a pretty good experience. I think the only problem I had with it was throwing batarangs. I'm probably just bad at throwing them, but they tended to lock onto the wrong targets.

I only played the demo with a PSVR stand before release last year but I thought it was very cool. Will get it come the next sale or when it's on PS+, whichever comes first.

Also RE7 is great in VR. It can get SUPER creepy! Unfortunately, I found out that I can't use the fluid turns, so I stuck with the 30 degree increments. It kind of sucks when running away from enemies since I panic and forget about the instant 180 degree turn lol.

I'm more into scary books/movies than games, and I don't think it's for me in VR. For VR I'm more looking forward to being Batman, sitting in a jet figter or X-Wing, seeing dinosaurs and alien skies...

I can do the smooth turning and I prefer it to degreed turning, but the best for me is when I'm supposed to sit still in a game, Rush Of Blood was a good experience stomach-wise yesterday (haven't played VR for over a year so I want to ease into it).

I’ll likely give it another go Friday night as I’m out for next couple of evenings, I’ll probably give Until Dawn a go since I have it from plus. Also got that Rigs game through plus, but I think that may be too soon to try that! 

Im at the stage where a full game feels like it would be too much, still in that novelty stage where I want to try lots of little things for the effect 

7 minutes ago, gazdavis11 said:

I’ll likely give it another go Friday night as I’m out for next couple of evenings, I’ll probably give Until Dawn a go since I have it from plus. Also got that Rigs game through plus, but I think that may be too soon to try that! 

I could give the RIGS game a go for you, see if I barf :)

7 minutes ago, gazdavis11 said:

Im at the stage where a full game feels like it would be too much, still in that novelty stage where I want to try lots of little things for the effect 

I get that, sitting with a VR set on your head for too long isn't fun either. I do like Farpoint though and appreciate that it's longer than an hour or two. In my opinion, a VR game doesn't need to be the 15-25 hours I usually put in games but a full 5-10 hour campaign would be cool.

Just finished the first level in Doom VFR. I'm really enjoying it so far. I heard some people have been having some control issues but so far I haven't had any. I'm using the Aim controller with full locomotion and incremental turning turned off. I think the combination of full locomotion with the analog stick and teleporting works really well, right now I'm using both; locomotion for when I'm fighting enemies and teleporting when I want to get somewhere fast. I really like the mechanic of teleporting into enemies as well. If you have your VR legs then I'd say turn locomotion on as you'll probably get natural urges to use it, but that said if you don't have your VR legs yet then the teleporting in this game is actually pretty good and you won't be missing out on much. One complaint I do have is when text comes up on screen it is either way too close to your face and is difficult to read or it is in the corner of the screen and in your peripheral vision so it's difficult to read. Also, there are screens that come up within the game which are on an angle where again it is difficult to read.

Although maybe take my view with a grain of salt because most people are saying that they are having control issues. I am in a small space and am unable to full turn my whole body around but I find that to be completely fine. I also had to do the same thing with Farpoint but that didn't ruin the experience for me, I could still aim and shoot. I guess try out the DualShock 4 controls if you want and see if that suits you but right now I'm having no trouble with the Aim so I can't be bothered testing that out.

5 minutes ago, olimoo101 said:

Just finished the first level in Doom VFR. I'm really enjoying it so far. I heard some people have been having some control issues but so far I haven't had any. I'm using the Aim controller with full locomotion and incremental turning turned off. I think the combination of full locomotion with the analog stick and teleporting works really well, right now I'm using both; locomotion for when I'm fighting enemies and teleporting when I want to get somewhere fast. I really like the mechanic of teleporting into enemies as well. If you have your VR legs then I'd say turn locomotion on as you'll probably get natural urges to use it, but that said if you don't have your VR legs yet then the teleporting in this game is actually pretty good and you won't be missing out on much. One complaint I do have is when text comes up on screen it is either way too close to your face and is difficult to read or it is in the corner of the screen and in your peripheral vision so it's difficult to read. Also, there are screens that come up within the game which are on an angle where again it is difficult to read.

Although maybe take my view with a grain of salt because most people are saying that they are having control issues. I am in a small space and am unable to full turn my whole body around but I find that to be completely fine. I also had to do the same thing with Farpoint but that didn't ruin the experience for me, I could still aim and shoot. I guess try out the DualShock 4 controls if you want and see if that suits you but right now I'm having no trouble with the Aim so I can't be bothered testing that out.

Doesn't using AIM feel weird since in-game you're dual-wielding? Saw a vid and apparently while dual wielding with AIM, you move the right hand while the left one stays completely still.

7 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Doesn't using AIM feel weird since in-game you're dual-wielding? Saw a vid and apparently while dual wielding with AIM, you move the right hand while the left one stays completely still.

Before I had a gun in my hands it was pretty strange but when I got a weapon and adjusted to it over time I forgot about it. Also good to note that it is part of the peripheral vision so that's probably why I forgot about it and it didn't bother me.

Edited by olimoo101