PlayStation VR games discussion for VR players

Oobedoob S Benubi

I pre-ordered a couple of months ago, i keep asking the shop to take the money off me in full but they can't/won't.

I have paid the deposit and the rest is just sitting here... October can't come quick enough.

I know when my favourite game store had that.

Used to be they asked for a first deposit, minimum amount or higher. Whatever amount you gave then was all you could pay until the release because if they had to add more money to it, they had to cancel the pre-order, then pre-order again.

Luckily, they changed it to a system where they now can add money to a pre-order whenever you feel like it.

Not that I'm already paying it in full. I'm still hoping there will be a pack with move and camera to switch to.

Well i would say yes, for a couple of reasons...

1. When we see PSVR demo's played they are using the PS3 move controllers in them.

2. As far as I know there are no new move controllers imminently about to be released and PSVR is only 12 weeks away.

I would guess in time there will be bundles but this probably won't happen in October 2016.

I was lucky today and Best Buy had a free PS VR demo, it was pretty cool! :) Before I thought VR would kinda suck but I see now there's an entertainment only VR can offer and there's definitely potential. Don't know if I'll buy it myself on release but I'll be looking forward to what games come out for it and how it turns out.

• Like 1

Well i would say yes, for a couple of reasons...

1. When we see PSVR demo's played they are using the PS3 move controllers in them.

2. As far as I know there are no new move controllers imminently about to be released and PSVR is only 12 weeks away.

I would guess in time there will be bundles but this probably won't happen in October 2016.

My bad, I thought I saw people on E3 use a different kind of controller but that must not have been a PlayStation-only game because I googled some pictures and what I thought I saw looks suspiciously like the Oculus controllers.

Move controllers should not be mandatory though, I heard... The camera is necessary but you should be able to play the games with a normal controller. At least that's what I heard when they started talking about a VR-camera-move pack.

That's what the light bar is for on the PS4 pad, the headset and also on the Move controllers, so as to equally be detected by the PS4 camera.

It would be reasonable to assume that any games released that are compatible with the PS3 Move controllers are also compatible with the PS4 dual shock pad as it uses a similar motion detection system, but I would guess that the PSVR experience would be better and more 'natural' whilst using the Move controller due to its ergonomic designed shape when held in one hand than by fumbling around with a PS4 dual shock pad which was designed to be used in two hands.

Essentially I think everyone with a PS4 console a PS4 camera a PS4 dual shock pad and the PSVR itself will be 'good to go'... with Move controllers being non-essential, but just easier to use, if that makes sense.

Edit: I should add that I have tested my PS3 Move controllers on my PS4 with the PS4 camera and it all worked fine, the console detected the Move controllers and I was able to navigate with no issues around the PS4 menu's with the Move controller. So they are 100% compatible in that respect at least.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

I knew that's what the light was for (they said as much when people asked why the light could not be shut off), my mistake was assuming the two-handed controllers themselves would have been updated as well. Can those PS3 move controllers already be used on PS4?

I think I'd rather just be gaming by normal controller if that will be an option, not having to use move controllers or even look around the room (that's what :r3: is for). I know it will be more 'immersive' with looking around but I think having the move controllers is just limiting your options. I played Force Unleashed first on the Wii and then on X360/PS3 and I thought regular controls were much more fun.

Only downside of using the regular PS4 controller:

I probably will have to take off the batman sticker :(

BgN8jMHCQAIzwn3.jpg

(Not my own controller, just a google search one. I have this sticker on both my PS4 controllers though.)

Edited by BillyHorrible

I knew that's what the light was for (they said as much when people asked why the light could not be shut off)

Can those PS3 move controllers already be used on PS4?

I have tested my Move controllers on my PS4 and it does detect the PS3 Move controllers in 'devices' and I also able to navigate around the PS4's menu's with the Move controller alone, it worked fine with no issues.

I didn't test to see if I could play a PS4 game using the Move controller, I didn't think to.

Regarding the light bar, obviously depending on how bright your room is will depend on how bright you have the light bar set, I was testing in daytime and I had to have the light bar set to maximum, however in a dark room I am sure any setting would be fine.

Regarding the light bar, obviously depending on how bright your room is will depend on how bright you have the light bar set, I was testing in daytime and I had to have the light bar set to maximum, however in a dark room I am sure any setting would be fine.

Well, if there's no movement required and I can just sit with VR on my face and a normal PS4 controller in my hands, then light will be no issue because I can just remain seated in my mancave, where light is not permitted. If I'm required to use move or turn around and such then I'll have to move to the living room, where it's much brighter.

In any case, naturally I'll try gaming first before doing something drastic like removing a Batman sticker.

Is the light on the PS4 controller really needed by the way? I remember from playing Flower that it probably has a built in gyroscope or something like that.

Edited by BillyHorrible

No idea, but as the PSVR headset has a built in gyroscope then this could mean that it would not be required to use a PS4 pad, which basically means a Move controller would be fine to use.

Like I said before I would say both the PS4 pad and the PS3 Move controllers will be usable with PSVR, with some games being better with the PS4 pad and others being better with the Move controller, thus having both options = the best possible experience, that's why I bought a few Move controllers before they went up in price.

You're probably right but good luck finding new move controllers these days.

While searching the internet page of the game store I frequent, I did not find PS3 move controllers but I stumbled over PS4 move controllers:

http://www.gamemania.eu/game_images/games/000000000000034966_GM_PACKAGE_0001_M.JPG

I'll just order me one of those, I guess. €40 for a new move controller does not see mtoo expensive. I'm a bit bummed by the €60 price for the camera though.

That would mean by the way that a €500 pack of VR - move - camera would not grant me even a little discount.

P.S. I hope that Sony does the smart thing and immediately starts with VR compatible PS+ games.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Update to the discussion:

Apparently some box arts have been revealed - at least I can see them now on a Dutch online store.

The box art indicates if the game is VR required/compatible and for the "VR only" games it also shows what accessories are needed. Seems like some absolutely need move, some don't.

Examples:

9200000059672785.jpg

9200000059672779.jpg

9200000059672781.jpg

9200000059672493.jpg

9200000059672783.jpg

You're probably right but good luck finding new move controllers these days.

While searching the internet page of the game store I frequent, I did not find PS3 move controllers but I stumbled over PS4 move controllers:

http://www.gamemania.eu/game_images/games/000000000000034966_GM_PACKAGE_0001_M.JPG

I'll just order me one of those, I guess. €40 for a new move controller does not see mtoo expensive. I'm a bit bummed by the €60 price for the camera though.

That would mean by the way that a €500 pack of VR - move - camera would not grant me even a little discount.

P.S. I hope that Sony does the smart thing and immediately starts with VR compatible PS+ games.

I bought 3 x pre-owned Move controllers from CEX in the UK, they come with 2 years warranty and I chose 3 that I was very happy with, upon testing them at home all 3 were detected by the PS4 camera and all 3 worked equally whilst navigating the PS4 menu's.

That picture you posted is of a PS3 Move controller identical to the ones I have.

Be mindful of companies trying to make a quick buck from this.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

That picture you posted is of a PS3 Move controller identical to the ones I have.

See how little attention I've paid to move before VR...

So either the controllers have not been updated at all (visually), or there just aren't any new pictures out. The site only puts them as compatible with PS4 though, not with PS3.

You might want to research those controllers further.

I too am not exactly on the pulse of everything but as far as i am aware there are no current PS4 Move controllers, and if there was i am sure we would have seen pictures of them by now.

I could be completely wrong but it seems to me that those controllers you mentioned are indeed just regular PS3 Move controllers and are being misleading in their advertising.

Yes they are PS4 compatible (I know this and I apologise for saying it over and over but I have tested mine on my PS4), so yes they are right there but they are insinuating that these Move controllers are specifically for the PS4 which is not true, and new buyers could easily fall for this and pay heavily over the odds.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

They're just using what little information Sony gives them, which is that there's move controllers being re-released to coincide with the release of VR.

At any rate, this is a better price than I can find for a new PS3 move starter pack so I'll take this one nontheless, if I'm forced to play with one anyway. Or would I actually need to buy two before I've got enough for one person to play?

The least what they might do is give the move controller an updated flat USB port since PS3 uses thick ports and PS4 does not.

Yes the cable connection is different on the PS3 Move to the PS4 but as i have a PS3, and also 2 Move docking bay chargers i charge mine just fine that way and would not use them whilst they were physically connected to a device anyway, I would imagine you might need to be quite free of movement at times with the controllers and using them whilst they are attached to a 4 ft piece of cable does not seem practical.

I can't answer if you would ever need 2 Move controllers, I would say 'maybe' depending on what games come out and whether you actually play those games, so the answer could be a 'Yes' and also a 'No' which would vary from player to player, and as you will be able to buy more later I wouldn't worry too much about that at this stage.

Mine were cheap, 3 months ago I paid £10 each and I am very happy with that, especially as we don't yet know how good PSVR will actually be, the price of the controllers may rise the closer we get to PSVR release date as more and more people become interested.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

They're just using what little information Sony gives them, which is that there's move controllers being re-released to coincide with the release of VR.

At any rate, this is a better price than I can find for a new PS3 move starter pack so I'll take this one nontheless, if I'm forced to play with one anyway. Or would I actually need to buy two before I've got enough for one person to play?

The least what they might do is give the move controller an updated flat USB port since PS3 uses thick ports and PS4 does not.

Yes the cable connection is different on the PS3 Move to the PS4 but as i have a PS3, and also 2 Move docking bay chargers i charge mine just fine that way and would not use them whilst they were physically connected to a device anyway, I would imagine you might need to be quite free of movement at times with the controllers and using them whilst they are attached to a 4 ft piece of cable does not seem practical.

I can't answer if you would ever need 2 Move controllers, I would say 'maybe' depending on what games come out and whether you actually play those games, so the answer could be a 'Yes' and also a 'No' which would vary from player to player, and as you will be able to buy more later I wouldn't worry too much about that at this stage.

Mine were cheap, 3 months ago I paid £10 each and I am very happy with that, especially as we don't yet know how good PSVR will actually be, the price of the controllers may rise the closer we get to PSVR release date as more and more people become interested.

For games that require the Move on VR (only some games seem to require them, Dualshock 4 works for the others), you will need to have two Move controllers (one in each hand). They're used the same way they are on HTC Vive.

For games that require the Move on VR (only some games seem to require them, Dualshock 4 works for the others), you will need to have two Move controllers (one in each hand). They're used the same way they are on HTC Vive.

I have no knowledge whatsoever of the HTC but thanks for the confirmation.

I may get the move aim controller as the one launch game I'm interested in (retail, at least) is Farpoint.

• 3 weeks later...

Just heard that Rise Of The Tomb Raider is getting an additional story DLC (Blood Ties) which will be for VR, or compatible with VR at the least. Tomb Raider is being released on October 11 and this DLC will probably already be on disc so this is something playable at launch.

Wait, VR DLC? Does that mean you would play the game normally and then DLC with VR? =D