Resident Evil VII Demo Discussion

Now that many of us have had a chance to play the RE7 demo, I wanted to start a discussion thread about it so we can put forth our opinions and theories about the direction the game is going. 

Personally, I found the demo to be a superb example of atmospheric horror, a genre that seems to be slowly dying and desperately needs a revitalization. I believe that Capcom has done an excellent job taking the game back to its roots if the demo is anything to go on. I legitimately jumped several times at shadows and loud sounds while exploring the dilapidated house. Taking actual control of the footage found on a video tape was a great twist to the standard gameplay elements and really added a unique mixture to the formula. The game looks stunning and the lighting effects are beautiful, the controls are tight and responsive.

All in all, Resident Evil VII has a lot going for it, and I am thoroughly excited for Capcom's new game. Hopefully they release another demo closer to release so we can get more gameplay! Below is my recorded footage of the demo from my PS4.

• Like 3

I liked it, Im liking the multiple routes albeit with the same pay off for each. No idea what I'm meant to do with the dummy finger, And I know it's not but I'm claiming the moving mannquins as a Doctor Who reference.  However.... a surprise demo launched at E3 consisting of a guy waking up in a house of horrors, weird stuff going on, rather unpleasant imagery, from a Japanese company, for a famed horror franchise. It's been done.

Personally I would prefer to see more RE games like this rather than having another mindless action shooter directed by Michael Bay that RE5 and 6 were, just my opinion!  :) I want to be scared by a RE game again like old times, something that I didn't get at all from the latest entries of the franchise.

Nothing about the demo takes "Resident Evil" back to it's roots, but that's not a bad thing. I enjoyed the spooky atmosphere of the building and hope they keep similar settings in mind for the new game, however, I don't want them to keep the first person view. It didn't really come as a shock that this was really just a hype builder rather than an actual taste of the game. If this spooky story about some haunted house were a sequel to the story of 5 and 6 I'd be super confused. xD It felt like this teaser could've been something else entirely that was good, but it wouldn't have been good as Resident Evil 7. 

• Like 1

Did any of you notice there is a ghost outside?

It is freaking creepy what I saw

Holy shit I didn't see that at all and I played the demo over and over nearly 7-8 times!

Nothing about the demo takes "Resident Evil" back to it's roots, but that's not a bad thing. I enjoyed the spooky atmosphere of the building and hope they keep similar settings in mind for the new game, however, I don't want them to keep the first person view. It didn't really come as a shock that this was really just a hype builder rather than an actual taste of the game. If this spooky story about some haunted house were a sequel to the story of 5 and 6 I'd be super confused. xD It felt like this teaser could've been something else entirely that was good, but it wouldn't have been good as Resident Evil 7. 

I should have clarified. I meant the open ended style and atmospheric qualities of the older games. Having to move around and explore to find your way out, and the sense of dread as you explored.

• Like 1

I never noticed that! Hella creepy! xD

I personally liked it. Nothing really scares me but the demo creeped me out. Not as much as P.T. did but it still had a creep factor.

The dolls and that basement though.. Totally put the Blair Witch Project movie images in my head.

I've never played a RE game but I am pretty excited to pick this up in January.

• Like 1

Seriously thought I was just seeing things. I saw her once outside and once inside of the doll room for a split second. I thought I was scaring myself haha. 

I found it to be quite enjoyable. As someone stated before, I'm not sure how I feel about this first person thing. I'd much prefer it to be third person as it has always been in previous games. It actually gave me that horror vibe though. I got anxious while playing through it my first time; feeling like someone was behind me or watching me make my way around. Froze me right in place. The sounds, the atmosphere, it really sets you in.

Didn't like it at all. Full of horror tropes and if you've played Outlast/P.T. Demo/Any horror PC game then you've seen this a million times before. Just seemed lazy and while I get that Resident Evil needs to 'reinvent' itself, it definitely isn't standing out of the crowd with something like this. It was missing that Japanese take on American horror B-movies vibe that was at least consistent throughout the entire series. Felt very 'western' and it felt like it was jumping on the 'Horror game perfect for YouTube' bandwagon. Played it a good 4 or 5 times and didn't appreciate the atmosphere or attempts at horror at all. I'm not someone who wants RE to go back to the PS1 era but this was disappointing in so many ways..

• Like 2

Boring and filled with cliches from 40 years worth of horror movies. RE games were never scary, so I have no idea what people are talking about.

maybe not to you but they were for a lot of other people, and we are talking about the pre-RE4 era, before the franchise became a mindless action shooter and lost all its horror atmosphere. but oh well i noticed that you only played RE6 and revelations 2, and not the masterpiece that is the REmake, the best RE game until this day and a TRUE survival horror unlike recent entries.

Edited by smellslikejavier
  • Like 1

It depends. Some people never found them scary but me personally growing up with them I found Resi 1 - 3 scary. 

I never played Resi 4 but I enjoyed Resi 5. I thought Resi 6 though was a joke.

I liked the demo. It is different. Not sure about the switch to first person but we will see what happens with it. Can't wait to see more of this game closer to release date. 

• Like 1

The demo was shorter than I expected but I really liked it. I loved the tense atmosphere that kept me on my toes though I was expecting more scares than I encountered. I definitely am interested in picking up the game when it comes out and playing it in VR would be amazing/terrifying.

Absolutely fantastic, that Blair Witch ripoff looking at the wall ( still one of the most terrifying scenes I have ever watched in a movie ) combined with the atmosphere and psychological terror is great. Personally I piss bolted for door soon as I got the key. Love to no what happens down the ladder but not enough balls here to find out,

The intensity of this in VR so gonna be mind blowing

Edited by cjshaitan
  • Like 1

It seems that Capcom is taking advantage of Silent Hills fall through. With this they will be able to take hold of the let down PT fan base.

Im a PT fan and a original Silent Hill fan and even i got sucked into this. Have to say im looking forward to the final product. 

emm at what part does the ghost appear? i haven't seen an ghosts lol

EDIT - nevermind, spotted now

regarding the topic, for now i am not sold at all. I was the type who liked RE6, actually all of the RE games, but this one i'm not digging it yet, mostly cus its FPS. Also i do hope that we will see some of the characters that we know.

Edited by Kyl542

Why people have the false notion that Resident Evil was scary? The series was always about zombie-outbreak survival, full of tension, scarce-resources stress and a few scare-jumps here and there, never about ghosts and paranormal activity. Although I liked what I played on the demo, I felt to me like some other game, not anything like RE.

• Like 1

Why people have the false notion that Resident Evil was scary? The series was always about zombie-outbreak survival, full of tension, scarce-resources stress and a few scare-jumps here and there, never about ghosts and paranormal activity. Although I liked what I played on the demo, I felt to me like some other game, not anything like RE.

scary doesn't only have to mean ghosts and paranormal activity. the tension, stress and jumpscares that you are talking about is also what contributes to something being scary, none of that was found on RE5 and 6 were you always feel protected with ammunition and supplies everywhere, checkpoints around the corner, a partner helping you, etc.