only 2.99

terrylutz007

If you have not played any game in the series than yes thats the best price for getting that in my opinion. Its a good game first couple of bosses are quite hard and make you want to throw your controller but at the end they do get easy but a steal at  2.99 or you can get the complete edition ( all dlc) and that is scholar of the first sin but never played the series start from there.

Where is this is it on psn store?

Is it the PS3 or PS4 ? 

I decided to check for you.

The PS4 version is on a 50% sale (10% more for PS+) right now in the US but it's the PS3 version that is on a 75% sale (10% more for PS+), making it $5 for non-PS+ and $3 for PS+.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/dark-souls-ii/cid=UP0700-NPUB31358_00-DARKSOULS2DLGAME

Meanwhile, for the EU the base price is €40 instead of $20 and it has never been below €20. Sigh.

• Like 3

It's a great game. A bit steep -->learning<-- curve, but the games really aren't that hard once you get the feels for it, and when you do it plays really well. :P Dark Souls is among my favorite games of last generation. A ton of content for that price. I would highly recommend! :) But I see you got the game.

Even though I like the idea of the series, I never got far into them before being turned off by rage and even I think you should at least try it for that price.

May I ask what you think the idea of the series is?

Edited by MMDE

May I ask what you think the idea of the series is?

I think it's a throwback to the 'old' days of gaming, when games were still "Nintendo Hard". Your only way of winning was having the controls down and knowing exactly what the game would and wouldn't do, especially in boss fights.

Being of the generation that played the NES and SNES (the latter of which is my own first console and still my favourite), I like the idea of challenging but fair games, and the Dark Souls setting appeals to me.

In Dark Souls, I completed the tutorial section. At the new place with the well I went uphill, into a town and onto roofs, eventually finding myself on top of a wall with some huge troll running towards me and the door behind me slamming shut. The troll ran over me before I could even get a single hit in. Tried to get back there but the skeletons respawned and killed me about ten steps away from the fire, twice. At that point I thought I probably should play something else. Tried II a while later but the punishing gameplay again proved to be too much, at least back then. Don't know if I would appreciate it now.

(edit was to correct a typo)

Edited by BillyHorrible

I think it's a throwback to the 'old' days of gaming, when games were still "Nintendo Hard". Your only way of winning was having the controls down and knowing exactly what the game would and wouldn't do, especially in boss fights.

Being of the generation that played the NES and SNES (the latter of which is my own first console and still my favourite), I like the idea of challenging but fair games, and the Dark Souls setting appeals to me.

In Dark Souls, I completed the tutorial section. At the new place with the well I went uphill, into a town and onto roofs, eventually finding myself on top of a wall with some huge troll running towards me and the door behind me slamming shut. The troll ran over me before I could even get a single hit in. Tried to get back there but the skeletons respawned and killed me about ten steps away from the fire, twice. At that point I thought I probably should play something else. Tried II a while later but the punishing gameplay again proved to be too much, at least back then. Don't know if I would appreciate it now.

(edit was to correct a typo)

Nah, it really isn't. I know Dark Souls has been marketed as such by Bandai Namco, but it really isn't. FROM SOFTWARE has done these hack n slash dungeon crawler RPGs since very early PS1, and they've always been the same. With PS1 you had 3D graphics, so the natural succession of the old school dungeon crawler genre (games like Wizardry etc) was you exploring the caves more naturally in 3D environment. Not just walking one step forward in a big maze, but rather move around naturally and with real time battle system. Not turn based, but walking up and hitting enemies that can hit back. The first game was pretty much just 5 floors of a giant maze, with two bosses. You usually had to do some various stuff on each floor and there were people living there. Anyway, second game was more open, but still most of the game took place in a big cave AKA maze. Then you got even more open areas with the third game and the movement and graphics just kept improving. All three games were pretty dark too, almost getting into horror territory. After that they did some few horror games in similar fashion. On PS2 they did more of similar RPGs, even did one more game in that same series they started with on PS1. One huge difference between these games and Demon's Souls/Dark Souls is the early games were first person, Demon's/Dark is third person. Really, Demon's was just another iteration of these games, but this time third person and way more fluid controls and a good bit faster. This is solely due to better hardware. There's even unused enemy models in Demon's that you can see in King's Field IV (the PS2 game of the RPG series they started). There was other unused things too, like a character that could tell you what the various items were etc, but they cut this from the game. As we all know they did backstory for each item on their description. As for dying and respawning? It was a bit more limited back in King's Field, but it worked much the same, though you needed an item. They also did instant auto-saving, so no save and load. ;p

Anyway, the point is, they aren't really trying to do "NES hard", and the games really aren't "NES hard", they just got a bit of a learning curve. "NES hard" is usually associated with being unfair, the Souls games are anything but unfair. If you die, it's because you messed up. It is not because you necessarily suck, because the games really aren't that hard. For me, getting the platinum for Demon's is like 1/10 difficulty. :P Even for a new player, no way it is the 8/10 you find in the trophy guide on this site. A good indicator is the high completion percentage, even if the game has been free for PS+ in all regions.

Once you get the hang of how to play the game "properly" and have found some weapons you like, the game is pretty easy. I know in Demon's, my very first playthrough, except of the very first level and the times when I intentionally died, I died like 5 times I didn't want to die throughout entire NG... I'm not some amazeballs at the game. Same goes for Dark Souls, I even remember NG++, I did like over half the game in like 45 minutes and a lot of the time was wasted on this one time I died against what I else usually found to be one of the easiest bosses in the game. I guess I shouldn't have taken on him so lightly. lol

What you may experience in these games is that the first part of the game is some of the hardest in the entire game. lol They usually serve as a way for you to learn how to play the game. At some point they will be super easy, even without any leveling, and then you're totally ready for the rest of the game. :) No joke, and it's intentional. It's not long since I did Bloodborne, and I found the portion before the first boss to be some of the hardest in the entire game. This is especially true because you haven't leveled up much yet, but in Bloodborne, they also push a ton of enemies on you at the same time near the beginning. The rest of the game was rather smooth sailing (except for a couple of extra bosses you needed for the platinum, but once you get the trick with those they weren't that hard). How many times did I die PvE in Bloodborne? hmm 15 times max? Yeah, so really not that hard. Even back in PS1 days they started you out at places where you could get yourself killed within seconds of playing. :D A bit of the idea is that you learn from it, you learn to be a bit more careful, and if you are, there really aren't many surprises that will catch you off-guard. The games are in no way unfair.

Did you complete the tutorial section in Dark Souls? A troll? A door that slams shut? :S Did you fly away from where you started with a bird? Because what you describe sounds like 1 minute into the game where you are supposed to just run into a corridor on the left side. Then you will be taken through more tutorial and get yourself some equipment and then get back to the beast you saw earlier and kill him rather easily. Still, this isn't the entire tutorial IMO. I'd say the tutorial ends when you beat the Gargoyles. :P Why do I say that? Because the game throws a lot of different stuff at you up to and including that point, where you are supposed to learn different things. After that the game is rather smooth sailing for the most parts. Honestly, you often don't have to fight enemies. You can run past like at least 80% of the enemies in the game. :P

^ Definitely worth watching.

:P

• Like 2

Anyway, the point is, they aren't really trying to do "NES hard", and the games really aren't "NES hard", they just got a bit of a learning curve. "NES hard" is usually associated with being unfair, the Souls games are anything but unfair. If you die, it's because you messed up. It is not because you necessarily suck, because the games really aren't that hard. For me, getting the platinum for Demon's is like 1/10 difficulty. :P Even for a new player, no way it is the 8/10 you find in the trophy guide on this site. A good indicator is the high completion percentage, even if the game has been free for PS+ in all regions.

I always saw Nintendo Hard as being tough but fair - I remember Castlevania IV, Jurassic Park, Super Star Wars and sequels, Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels.

Once you get the hang of how to play the game "properly" and have found some weapons you like, the game is pretty easy. I know in Demon's, my very first playthrough, except of the very first level and the times when I intentionally died, I died like 5 times I didn't want to die throughout entire NG... I'm not some amazeballs at the game. Same goes for Dark Souls, I even remember NG++, I did like over half the game in like 45 minutes and a lot of the time was wasted on this one time I died against what I else usually found to be one of the easiest bosses in the game. I guess I shouldn't have taken on him so lightly. lol

What you may experience in these games is that the first part of the game is some of the hardest in the entire game. lol They usually serve as a way for you to learn how to play the game. At some point they will be super easy, even without any leveling, and then you're totally ready for the rest of the game. :) No joke, and it's intentional. It's not long since I did Bloodborne, and I found the portion before the first boss to be some of the hardest in the entire game. This is especially true because you haven't leveled up much yet, but in Bloodborne, they also push a ton of enemies on you at the same time near the beginning. The rest of the game was rather smooth sailing (except for a couple of extra bosses you needed for the platinum, but once you get the trick with those they weren't that hard). How many times did I die PvE in Bloodborne? hmm 15 times max? Yeah, so really not that hard. Even back in PS1 days they started you out at places where you could get yourself killed within seconds of playing. :D A bit of the idea is that you learn from it, you learn to be a bit more careful, and if you are, there really aren't many surprises that will catch you off-guard. The games are in no way unfair.

I may have quit too soon then... If only I could get it for €3 myself.

Did you complete the tutorial section in Dark Souls? A troll? A door that slams shut? :S Did you fly away from where you started with a bird? Because what you describe sounds like 1 minute into the game where you are supposed to just run into a corridor on the left side. Then you will be taken through more tutorial and get yourself some equipment and then get back to the beast you saw earlier and kill him rather easily. Still, this isn't the entire tutorial IMO. I'd say the tutorial ends when you beat the Gargoyles. :P Why do I say that? Because the game throws a lot of different stuff at you up to and including that point, where you are supposed to learn different things. After that the game is rather smooth sailing for the most parts. Honestly, you often don't have to fight enemies. You can run past like at least 80% of the enemies in the game. :P

Nah I had no problems with the tutorial boss, I definitely mean later on. I checked online and I meant the Taurus Demon. Didn't even know I could just walk past him without immediately getting hit :-( nor did I see that I could climb back up next to the door I entered from.

^ Definitely worth watching.

:P

Watched it, thanks for the link.

Nah I had no problems with the tutorial boss, I definitely mean later on. I checked online and I meant the Taurus Demon. Didn't even know I could just walk past him without immediately getting hit :-( nor did I see that I could climb back up next to the door I entered from.

Ah, that makes sense! :D It was the door locked behind you that threw me off, usually just a fog blocking your path.

I've still to get Dark Souls II for PS4, I only got it on PS3. :( I kinda want it on disc, but if it was 3USD in my PSN store, I'd buy it for sure! :P

Why? Two reasons, the PS4 version has it's own trophy list, and the game is a bit different, they mixed up of the enemy locations etc.

Edited by MMDE

I've played and platted Demon's Souls, so my question is do I need to play the first Dark Souls to understand DSII?

For $2.99 I shouldn't pass it up either way but I was just curious.

Ah, that makes sense! :D It was the door locked behind you that threw me off, usually just a fog blocking your path.

I've still to get Dark Souls II for PS4, I only got it on PS3. :( I kinda want it on disc, but if it was 3USD in my PSN store, I'd buy it for sure! :P

Why? Two reasons, the PS4 version has it's own trophy list, and the game is a bit different, they mixed up of the enemy locations etc.

Yeah with locked I meant the fog.

I think stacking doesn't need explaining if you liked the game and you go up a generation, or if you don't own the console you originally played on any more. I've replayed a lot on PS3/PS4 that I had already done on X360. Extreme example: I already own Super Star Wars on the SNES but that did not stop me from getting the PS4 version day one :-)

I think it's a bit weird if people play two or more different trophy/achievement related versions of a game right away, but hey if it makes them happy :-)

I've played and platted Demon's Souls, so my question is do I need to play the first Dark Souls to understand DSII?

As far as I understood, all Dark Souls can be enjoyed separately.

There is definitely lore you miss out on, but it's rather the separate self-contained experience. Like the game doesn't have a clear story line with lots of talking etc, so there isn't much you will feel you've missed.

I think stacking doesn't need explaining if you liked the game and you go up a generation, or if you don't own the console you originally played on any more.

I think it's a bit weird if people play two or more different trophy/achievement related versions of a game right away, but hey if it makes them happy :-)

I got three versions of Demon's. lol :D

There is definitely lore you miss out on, but it's rather the separate self-contained experience. Like the game doesn't have a clear story line with lots of talking etc, so there isn't much you will feel you've missed.

Thanks for the info guys :)

Definitely going to have to buy this now.

I got three versions of Demon's. lol :D

I indeed thought that the series only had 'story' in the way of logs and the like, but I didn't want to say that because I'd probably be wrong again...

I didn't even know there were three versions of Demon's... Only things I got stacked on PS3/PS4/Vita are some games I played on the Vita when I had already played them on the PS3/PS4. Vita is really handy if you're going away for a few days and you're not taking your PS3/PS4 with you - when AC Syndicate was just released I had planned a weekend away, so I took my PS4 with us, and when everyone was asleep or reading stuff or something I booted up the PS4 in the corner and connected to it with the Vita so I could get some collectables and viewpoints done :-)

I've played a lot on PS3/PS4 which I already had played on X360, but since I got rid of my X360 that was more of a 'restarting my collection' bit, with only the games I really enjoyed getting another chance. Assassin's Creed mostly, but also Telltale's Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us (on PS4, if only so I'd have my savegames again), Portal 2, Stick Of Truth, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, Mass Effect 1 and 2... Good luck getting me to play stuff like King Kong or Family Guy again though. I'm done with playing games only for achievements/trophies.

.....Aaaaanyway (told you lot I was a talker), I've been thinking about it and I'll probably give the first Dark Souls another shot. If you see me starting it, that's on you MMDE!

I indeed thought that the series only had 'story' in the way of logs and the like, but I didn't want to say that because I'd probably be wrong again...

I didn't even know there were three versions of Demon's... Only things I got stacked on PS3/PS4/Vita are some games I played on the Vita when I had already played them on the PS3/PS4. Vita is really handy if you're going away for a few days and you're not taking your PS3/PS4 with you - when AC Syndicate was just released I had planned a weekend away, so I took my PS4 with us, and when everyone was asleep or reading stuff or something I booted up the PS4 in the corner and connected to it with the Vita so I could get some collectables and viewpoints done :-)

I've played a lot on PS3/PS4 which I already had played on X360, but since I got rid of my X360 that was more of a 'restarting my collection' bit, with only the games I really enjoyed getting another chance. Assassin's Creed mostly, but also Telltale's Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us (on PS4, if only so I'd have my savegames again), Portal 2, Stick Of Truth, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, Mass Effect 1 and 2... Good luck getting me to play stuff like King Kong or Family Guy again though. I'm done with playing games only for achievements/trophies.

.....Aaaaanyway (told you lot I was a talker), I've been thinking about it and I'll probably give the first Dark Souls another shot. If you see me starting it, that's on you MMDE!

I totally get why you think the games are about it being "hard", because this is how a lot of people talk about it. It is a rather common misunderstanding people who hasn't really gotten into the games. The game is accepted as being "difficult", because it's not unfair. If you have a hard time, there are probably something you're missing or there are better ways to do it etc. Simply put, it's about learning the game. If you are careful and even a bit cheap, you can usually get through a new area you've never been to without dying. If you do die, you probably learned something not to do, and maybe you got ideas about doing it better the next time. The more you play an area, the more you learn the enemies and the area to know, so it gets a lot easier. Grinding isn't really needed. Usually you get enough souls (EXP) from just beating enemies and bosses you encounter, but some few early level ups can make a huge difference. Later not so much, and doesn't determine if you beat a level or a boss. Areas are often harder than the bosses, but usually if area is large, you get more "checkpoints" or can open up "shortcuts". :P The game also provide ample help to beat levels and bosses through co-op.

Yeah, 3 Demon's, one for JP, one for NA, and one for EU. This is because they were published by different companies. SCEJ, Atlus, Bandai Namco. :P Unlike on X360, you can play any region on your PS3, with like -->one<-- exception, and those cases with MMORPG where they check your region etc.

There is more story than just "logs"/descriptions, and there is dialogues with a lot of characters, but it's not a story told straight forward. You don't just happen to always be there when something epic happens. Thing has already happened, and you coincidentally meet interesting people who are still around. You fight your way through areas, encounter things, beat bosses with back story, explore areas etc. :P There are usually some few characters who tell most of the main story. Sometimes some characters will tell you what to do, and there's side-quest lines. Anyway, as I said, the story is very self-containing in Dark Souls II. It mostly refers to itself and people have just had to connect the dots between the games for the most part.

Anyway, the games for me are mostly about the good and deep gameplay. ^^ But also the setting of the game and the sound etc.

I never got far in AssCreed 2! xD I got many of the games, just idk. :P So maybe I will play that soon. xD

I'm a talker :P