Mirror's Edge v. Catalyst

Hello! Call me L.G. I looooove this game to death!! :D And I was just wondering if anyone of you have played the first one, which one you prefer? What did you like that Catalyst improved on? What did you like that the first did that Catalyst didn't? Discuss away! I hope everyone's enjoying this game as much as I am. ;) 

~L.G.<3

• Like 2

I agree with the stress! The first one...I'm barely at 62% trophy wise. I'm just bad with time trials. XP I quite liked the open world feel. It made me feel like a Runner, that I was doing every jump, leap, and roll. The first one's story was almost nonexistent. And this story isn't triple A quality, it's still a step up from the first and I liked it. Characters had mire of a personality and feel for them than the first.

After playing the first game quite a bit, I can say that a lot was improved in Catalyst. Although I don't own the game I've watched several reviews and have been told by many people. I think the move to open world suits the gameplay well, you can parkour your way around the beautiful glass city which is what I wanted to do ever since I played the original Mirror's Edge. I think the main gripe with the game is the lack of side mission variety. My response is, I don't know what else they could've done. It's a parkour game, so it makes sense that most of the side missions involve running from point A to point B. Another thing people say is that the combat sucks. But again, it's a PARKOUR game. Not a fighting game. Overall I like Catalyst, the only real problems are some bugs and glitches.

Yeah, I do, too. The first one was a remarkable movement for the first person genre. I can't really decide which one I like the best. They're alike but different in their own regards. I absolutely despised the Diversions and the Covert missions, though!  :facepalm: The side missions are a bit lackluster and can get a little bit tedious, but still fun, nonetheless.  <3

Hello! Call me L.G. I looooove this game to death!! :D And I was just wondering if anyone of you have played the first one, which one you prefer? What did you like that Catalyst improved on? What did you like that the first did that Catalyst didn't? Discuss away! I hope everyone's enjoying this game as much as I am. ;)

~L.G. <3

I personally got everything I've wanted in a ME sequel. The entire city finally feels more realized with the advancements in technology and greater budget, not to mention I can freely explore it. The music is still good, and there are lots of things for me to collect which I enjoy. I still have a lot to do, so after thinking on it more, there may be some issues I take, but so far I have been really enjoying the game and I hope there are future installments. 

I do, too!!! I actually read that EA bought a "Mirror's Edge 3" url domain, SO THERE'S HOPE!!! But yes. Solar Fields is back to compose the music, and I hope they keep him for all of the series! (Which they're going to make or else I'm going to boycott.)  :P

Good games both of them, though catalyst definitely has the challenge removed... Sometimes the game feels a bit clunky and movement falters slightly, other than that pretty sharp. The open world caters to the idea of being a runner with lots of varied parkour

Hm-m. It certainly was fun, wasn't it? :3 Yeah, I encountered a few glitches with movement and sometimes Faith's arm would twitch or clip or things. But the graphics are AMAZING!!! I think it's stupid that Sony won't let us use screenshots as wallpapers. I've been working on quite a picture collection. I love the nighttime view of everything. <3

Another thing people say is that the combat sucks. But again, it's a PARKOUR game. Not a fighting game.

Yes the combat is lousy, but that's not what people are complaining about. The number of instances that you are forced into an onslaught of enemies is one too many, meaning Dice clearly had other intentions besides just making it a "parkour game". You are forced to fight, and it's pretty dreadful. Not hard, just tedious "shift + back + triangle" until all enemies are dead, and the game decides to let you move on. It preaches you can use traversal attacks to mix it up, but there are points where this isn't always a very viable option, and it's not always very wise to just run around looking for something to vault off of (assuming an unsuspecting foe is even there to receive your killing blow from above, or, worse yet, the controls are cooperating enough for you to be able to successfully land it) or a wall to wallrun off of to trigger a light or heavy traversal attack, especially when there is a lot of stuff going on at once and a lot of different enemies in the killbox. When all is said and done, the shift/back/triangle is actually the most pragmatic option to address any combat situation, since it's overpowered, and every enemy is susceptible to it.

I'm glad you are excited for the game, but you really got to play it to form any real opinion on it, since I don't think just watching it is going to do it justice. There's a lot of things the reviews kind of nitpicked, there's a lot of things that the reviews were dead on about, and there's a lot of things that you'll personally find annoying yourself that very few people seem to be addressing -- it's hard to get a true grasp of what's going on from a 5 minute video review vs. actually playing it for the platinum after 20 hours.

Edited by iamjax

I just got the PI Connors trophy. I don't know if I'll be going for the plat. or not. It's a lot easier than the first one.  D:

I only remember two instances where you were thrown into a fighting arena, so to say. And DICE did pick up the game after an 8 year long hiatus. I thought the combat was fine the way it is. A little clunky, but fine nonetheless. Maybe I'm just a n00b, but it was a little hard for me. Certainly took some getting used to. It's an improvement over the first. And I thought the 'no guns' fit just fine. :3 

Edited by Lady_Galleth

I feel like this game doesn't have a huge fanbase behind it, even though it has more than the original did. I found a brand new copy on Amazon for $40.00 USD. I read a little bit and found out that Amazon is allowed to, "set their own prices independently." And that Dice wants the game to be priced at full retail. So Amazon is selling it for less, and my theory is because nobody really knows/cares about it, which makes me sad. These are such great games, and are one of the high points of EA. I don't want to see this franchise suffer, because there is so much potential. I feel another reason for this reduced price is the fact it's being overshadowed by Battlefield 1. I mean, the day Catalyst came out I saw maybe one ad for it after a day on the internet, and about 30 ads hyping up Battlefield 1. This all comes full circle to the fact that Mirror's Edge doesn't have a very large fanbase. Certainly not as big as Battlefield's. Maybe if Dice releases some good DLC the game will get more popular, but we can only hope can we not?

I really, really hope that it gets DLC. I just can't get enough of this game! X3 The whole time I was playing Uncharted, I was thinking of Catalyst.  :P  Yeah. I do fear that EA/DICE are pouring all of their energy into Battlefield, since it brings more money. And as much as I liked the first one, I can't help but think what it could have been. I heard that DICE didn't even want to put guns in the game in the first place, just basing it all on movement kinda like Catalyst, but EA MADE them. And I also heard that the original writer quit because of EA's demands, and thus Pratchett was brought in. But, again, EA made her snip basically ALL of her story. And we got.....the first game. 

But those are all just rumors. But it kinda makes sense. I guess Pratchett didn't sign on for Catalyst was because EA cut her story to bits. X3

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bump. Anyone else?

Hey, I didn't play Catalyst because I don't have a ps4 yet :( but I can almost feel that it will be much better which of course I'm thinking is impossible since the first game is my favourite game by far on console. So.... Lol idk I'm just really excited

Hey, nothing wrong with that. You should have seen me in the store, bouncing around. The clerk even commented that I was dancing. X3 I got a ps4 JUST for Catalyst. If you adored the first one, then I bet you'll love Catalyst just as well. :D

Haha great! Can't wait. Idk if you've heard by Sony been working on the ps4 neo and supposedly it's coming very soon. So I held on a little longer so I can get a brand new and strong ps4. It's been already like 5-6 months but I know it may come out at the end of the year. I'm just gonna have to play on my ps3 till then and I don't mind it. Games are what matter( and their price of course. I tend to wait for games to go on bargain bins and I buy in bulk). :)

I actually heard that the Neo won't play ps4 games, but the ps4 can play Neo games. :/ I heard it from my brother so he may have misread something, but I think the Neo and the ps4 are basically the same thing, just a better graphics card? Like I said, I don't know.  If you play it on the PC, DICE released a patch for some bugs about a month ago. 

Edited by Lady_Galleth

I actually heard that the Neo won't play ps4 games, but the ps4 can play Neo games. :/ I heard it from my brother so he may have misread something, but I think the Neo and the ps4 are basically the same thing, just a better graphics card? Like I said, I don't know.  If you play it on the PC, DICE released a patch for some bugs about a month ago.

Lol it's the other way around. Ps4 neo will play old ps4 games without any improvement unless a patch is made by the developers. Any games in October must support regular mode and neo mode. Also regular ps4 will not b able to play neo mode. Ps4 neo basically has the architecture as regular ps4 with improved GPU and CPU to allow better framerates and graphics, while still being compatible. Lol I did a little research ;)

Still not a big enough difference for me to buy another ps4 again. But for a first ps4, I think that's great! :D And Catalyst for your first game is great too!!!

Definitely not worth it if you already have a ps4. I've been holding out for so long. I want to play the game pretty badly but can't! :/. Oh man when the day comes... I cannot contain myself lol. Every time I go to watch little snippets of the game, I exit right away so that I won't spoil it for me even if it's just free roaming.

Yeah. I was the same way. I stayed away from the Beta lps, the free running. The soundtrack is spectacular!! I was listening to it a few moments ago. Free roaming shouldn't be any spoilers, but I understand if you want to keep Glass all to your first time playing. :)

Yes! The amazing soundtrack by solarfields. I also refrained from Listening to any lol. I want to have everything fresh. And be mesmerized then than now :P. It's like I'm in a cubicle.

Yeah. I was the same way. I stayed away from the Beta lps, the free running. The soundtrack is spectacular!! I was listening to it a few moments ago. Free roaming shouldn't be any spoilers, but I understand if you want to keep Glass all to your first time playing. :)

Yeah this game makes me wish I'd of gotten a PS4 sooner. I waited once I heard rumors of a better PS4, but I realized it's not really worth it. Consoles are just becoming PC's nowadays. Where it used to be you bought a system and you were good until the next one. Now, you buy the launch one, buy the slim one, buy the one that has a better processor, and buy the one with backwards compatibility. For the Neo itself, I think they should include a black trenchcoat and sunglasses, but my hopes might be too high. Either way, I'll be getting a PS4 soon, and I'll probably never leave the City of Glass.

Yeah this game makes me wish I'd of gotten a PS4 sooner. I waited once I heard rumors of a better PS4, but I realized it's not really worth it. Consoles are just becoming PC's nowadays. Where it used to be you bought a system and you were good until the next one. Now, you buy the launch one, buy the slim one, buy the one that has a better processor, and buy the one with backwards compatibility. For the Neo itself, I think they should include a black trenchcoat and sunglasses, but my hopes might be too high. Either way, I'll be getting a PS4 soon, and I'll probably never leave the City of Glass.

Haha im literally on the same trail as you are. The wait is soo painful but whatever. It'll pay off I guess.