Mirror's Edge v. Catalyst

Swag, you're amazing! X3 As for momentum, there's a button you can push to start running immediately. It's R2, and you can also use that, paired with a direction, to dodge during combat. It IS a lot smoother than the first ME. The story missions are linear, again, but gives you multiple paths you can complete your mission on. Does that make sense? X3 You have a lot more moves than the first one, too. 

Thanks! I don't usually share my opinions on things because I feel like other people explain things a lot better than I do. But thanks for giving me props nonetheless.

As for your question on if it feels arcadey; I don't feel that way but then again everyone is different. As for the momentum building; yeah it's pretty quick. I would say slightly faster when compared to the first Mirror's Edge.

Ok thx man for letting me know. Guess I wouldn't be able to tell till I get the feels myself. I know that many people felt the original was tough and unresponsive but tbh this is probably the closest parkour simulator I'll get. If I messed up, it's because I actually messed up. Looking forward for playing Catalyst.

P.S good to stumble upon a fellow Canadian :)

Swag, you're amazing! X3 As for momentum, there's a button you can push to start running immediately. It's R2, and you can also use that, paired with a direction, to dodge during combat. It IS a lot smoother than the first ME. The story missions are linear, again, but gives you multiple paths you can complete your mission on. Does that make sense? X3 You have a lot more moves than the first one, too.

Hey L.G. is this "R2" glitch like the sidestep boost from the original? :o

Ok thx man for letting me know. Guess I wouldn't be able to tell till I get the feels myself. I know that many people felt the original was tough and unresponsive but tbh this is probably the closest parkour simulator I'll get. If I messed up, it's because I actually messed up. Looking forward for playing Catalyst.

P.S good to stumble upon a fellow Canadian :)

Hey L.G. is this "R2" glitch like the sidestep boost from the origin

No problem. as for the "R2" thing L.G. mentioned; it works just like the sidestep boost but I wouldn't consider it a glitch because the game prompts you several times about it and how to effectively use it. I don't fully know yet but I believe the R2 button can only make you run forward immediately while every other direction will just make you do a dash/evade in that direction. Since L.G. is the one that mentioned it and you specifically asked him, I will let him elaborate more on what I'm saying. 

No problem. as for the "R2" thing L.G. mentioned; it works just like the sidestep boost but I wouldn't consider it a glitch because the game prompts you several times about it and how to effectively use it. I don't fully know yet but I believe the R2 button can only make you run forward immediately while every other direction will just make you do a dash/evade in that direction. Since L.G. is the one that mentioned it and you specifically asked him, I will let him elaborate more on what I'm saying.

Ok thx for the info.

Also L.G= lady galleth, so she is a woman :P.

Ok thx for the info.

Also L.G= lady galleth, so she is a woman :P.

No problem.

My deepest apologies Lady Galleth. It was late last night when I wrote that so I didn't clue in that I refered to you as a he. Silly me  :facepalm:

Edited by The Swag Doctor

Nah, don't apologize, I honestly don't care what gender you refer to me as. X3 It's fine. 

But yes, like the side jump boost, but you dash off forward into an immediate run. All other directions are, in fact, dodges, but I think it works either way.....? Don't quote me, though.  

Nah, don't apologize, I honestly don't care what gender you refer to me as. X3 It's fine. 

But yes, like the side jump boost, but you dash off forward into an immediate run. All other directions are, in fact, dodges, but I think it works either way.....? Don't quote me, though.

Alrighty thanks :). Will have to try the game myself first!

So I've been playing Catalyst very much since I've gotten it, and there are some major changes. First off, the combat has been moved to the face buttons, triangle for kicks and square for punches. You can no longer disarm an enemy, and you don't have the option to use guns. This also means that you no longer have the option to use the slow motion effect. The thing that I like about Catalyst is the option to have runner's vision give you an explicit path, be like the first Mirror's Edge, and completely off. I have it set to the classic mode for now and will likely completely turn it off when I'm used to the map. The parkour in general got a big overhaul. You have a focus shield now that stays up as long as you keep fluid movement. Slow down and you could end up in trouble if K-Sec finds you. Faith overall seems a lot more real, in the sense that I always seem to end up in heavy landings when I thought I would be okay. You also don't reset your fall distance immediately when you hit another solid surface. If you say fall onto a rail, you could keep falling and end up in a heavy landing. Sliding is more useful since you hardly lose speed, and being able to roll out of it is handy too. Overall I'd say Catalyst is a game that I'm going to have to get used to to fully enjoy it.

Yeah, it takes getting used to, especially the combat. I kept speeding up and dodging when I meant to hit. X3 And going from Catalyst back to the first is a complete nightmare. Especially when you have moves in Catalyst that you're used to, and don't have in 1. Like the double wall run, for instance. This could be a nitpick or I'm completely weird, but I liked the little thief vaults and different animations Faith has in Catalyst when jumping over things that she doesn't in one. And when you wallrun up a wall, you don't just fall down, you slide down, giving you enough time to turn and jump or do something else. 

• 1 month later...

It's not bad

The free running is as close to perfect as I can imagine

The running challenges and side missions are fun and it's fun to explore the city too

Collectibles are enjoyable

Combat is absolutely atrocious now though and the story is painfully bland

7/10 easy though

Lol,is combat optional though? I know it was during the first one.

Completely, though there are a few levels where they lock you in a room and force you to fight. But you honestly just have to keep slide kicking into them and they're down in a few seconds. X3

As the others,  Bunau, can you maybe explain why you think it's a bad game? 

And yes, Slay, all the running is fun! ^-^ And I personally liked the story way better than the first one's.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the mission structures were annoying, stop and start rather than natural free-flow running which would have made the missions more fun.

I also don't think it needed to be open world but apart from that it improves on the original in every way possible. 

• 4 weeks later...

Great game! I was playing the first game to "death" long before I was "hunting trophies". I made the hard mode multiple times for instance... just because I loved it so much.

There was some dissapointments and some things I liked about it...

A few bad things:

- Missions are a bit to long to run...

- I know it's based on a comic but I really wanted to know more details. Like what happened in between, about her sis etc.

- They changed the voice for Faith. The new actor sounds clearly younger even if it's a few years later. She also appears to behave more like a younger woman/girl than in the previous game. I felt that was a bit enjoying and not so realistic...

- I got the PS4 Pro and the graphics has improved and are not bad compares to current gen. But the original game had really stunning graphics compared to most if not all PS3 games at that point. When Mirrors Edge was released on PS3 I was as amazed as when I saw Battlefield 1 on PC with the new Titan X GPU.

- The new storyline are not as good as the old one

A few good things:

- Still a great game with a great storyline and extras. Give it a weak 8/10... if 10/10 is among the best of the best all-time.

- This game is what I've been waiting for years. And it didn't disappoint me... even if I had a bit higher (maybe too high) expectations for a "perfect" sequel.

- I was afraid that the story should be too short. But it was alright.

- Trophies seems to be a bit easier than the orignal one... in this case I feel it's a good thing.

Great! However I hope there will be no DLC for this one... I know some people wants it. But for me, personally I think it may be too much. I want a straight 100 %... which still requires some effort.

Edited by A-Rebirth
  • Like 1

Great game! I was playing the first game to "death" long before I was "hunting trophies". I made the hard mode multiple times for instance... just because I loved it so much.

There was some dissapointments and some things I liked about it...

A few bad things:

- Missions are a bit to long to run...

- I know it's based on a comic but I really wanted to know more details. Like what happened in between, about her sis etc.

- They changed the voice for Faith. The new actor sounds clearly younger even if it's a few years later. She also appears to behave more like a younger woman/girl than in the previous game. I felt that was a bit enjoying and not so realistic...

- I got the PS4 Pro and the graphics has improved and are not bad compares to current gen. But the original game had really stunning graphics compared to most if not all PS3 games at that point. When Mirrors Edge was released on PS3 I was as amazed as when I saw Battlefield 1 on PC with the new Titan X GPU.

- The new storyline are not as good as the old one

A few good things:

- Still a great game with a great storyline and extras. Give it a weak 8/10... if 10/10 is among the best of the best all-time.

- This game is what I've been waiting for years. And it didn't disappoint me... even if I had a bit higher (maybe too high) expectations for a "perfect" sequel.

- I was afraid that the story should be too short. But it was alright.

- Trophies seems to be a bit easier than the orignal one... in this case I feel it's a good thing.

Great! However I hope there will be no DLC for this one... I know some people wants it. But for me, personally I think it may be too much. I want a straight 100 %... which still requires some effort.

Thank you for not spoiling it and giving me hope that it'll be great considering the negativity people like to spew on the internet. I'll be definitely getting this game once I get a ps4 pro but in the meantime I can wait!

Don't worry! :D I think it's great!! :) 

And to me, you really can't compare the two games. For one, Catalyst is a prequel/reboot. I think Faith is....18 in this one. I think, don't quote me. And if you don't read the comics, you're not missing a whole lot imo. I did just for fun, but I agree. If we're paying 60 bucks for a game, I expect the FULL story. Thanks for sharing your opinions, Rebirth. :3 I love hearing other people's ideas and stuff. 

Good. 8-) Have you played the first one? Catalyst has nothing to do with it, I'm just curious. 

I did and I loved every bit of it, even the insane time trials :)

I was just a bit fearful about Catalyst due to it being open world.

I thought the first's best qualities were its level design and pace which were (in my opinion) dependent on it being a fairly linear experience.

Edited by JavaNext

I have absolute respect for the first game, but I had more fun with Catalyst. 

I found it faster paced and sleeker, all around more adrenaline pumped. That, combined with tighter controls made it a treat to play through, and I welcome the new springboard for the franchise.

Either way, no matter which one anyone picks, both endings are terrible.  B)

Edited by ERICVOLTAGE