Lady_Galleth

Mirror's Edge v. Catalyst

127 posts in this topic

Agreed, Voltage. But the story, imo, isn't as terrible as the first one's.

Mirrors' Edge all the way. Catalyst is a fucking travesty. Hate everything about it. Well done ruining a great game and making it fucking casual. Also they turned Faith into an uninteresting wimpy bitch. The story is 10 times worse then the original which is an accomplishmet of it's own.

Relentless, aren't you? X3 Of course it's all subjective anyway. But I loved it just as much as the first one. Faith in the first ME game didn't really have much of a personality to me. I liked this Faith. She's supposed to be "wimpy" because she's younger and more vulnerable. 

If you guys have never seen the Dev Commentary of Catalyst, I suggest you go see it on YT. ^^ It's by the channel SlicedLime.

From what I've played so far, I'd easily say that the original is superior. The main issue I have with catalyst at the moment is the movement. In the original, you could speed up your time by doing a side jump boost, kick glitch  (occasionally), wall boost etc...which could really separate the casual players from the above average. In catalyst it appears that you literally just spam the shit out of R2 in order to build up speed, making it far too easy to beat the dashes. I literally placed within

the top 1% on my first ever attempt at a dash. Also, I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but I keep running into a bunch of random bugs whilst playing catalyst. For instance, sometimes I try to jump off a ledge and it just blocks my jump. It's almost as if I run straight into an invisible wall or something. And the point system...just why? I can understand why some people may like it, but I would just rather have all the abilities from the get go. That's just my opinion though. I do like the open world aspect of catalyst though. It's great to stumble across a trial that another user has created and give it a go. And I'm glad that they actually went into detail with the story, I'm liking it so far.

Edited by Smithy

I agree with the skill tree, but DICE had their reasons. The good news is, it didn't take entirely too long to get back the skills! As far as the speed goes, the first game was really rushed, so it had numerous, gamebreaking bugs in it. They took their time with Catalyst in order to patch out some of those bugs. But I've never encountered any of those bugs. :/

It took me FOREVER to find this again with the new update. X3

Just picked this game up not long ago at Wal-mart for $10 in a discount pile. Gotta say, I really enjoy this game and I did not care for the original AT ALL. I'm on the road to platinum Catalyst, and aside from frustration in the timed deliveries everything else was  pretty damn fun. The combat was easily exploited in crowds, but taking enemies down on the fly was always fun. I liked the story and the characters even if Faith isn't exactly 'likeable' all the time and the cast was a bit too large to really flesh out the characters. Plastic was typical 'OMG Teh Nerrrd' kinda character that's on the spectrum and so such like every hacker stereotype in games. The rest of the cast is serviceable and I didn't really find anyone poorly acted. in the end exploring the city and the moment to moment gameplay was fun and I keep firing the game up to go back and clean up the trophies. I'd give the game a 7. It is a good game.

I'm glad you liked it!! And the first one wasn't for everyone. Trial and error, really. Some say the new Runner's vision helps Catalyst, some say it doesn't. But Glass looked absolutely beautiful!!! Aside from a few texture pop-ins, which I'd imagine isn't the case for PlayStation Pro players? 

I like the game, but I think it's just my love of the ip. My brother showed me the original on steam but at the time I had no way of playing it. I had to wait another year to get a PS3 for my birthday. I played the shit out of it, and when I heard of a sequel, the same thing happened. I got excited but had to wait to get a PS4. I'm also into parkour and urban climbing irl, so a game like this is right up my alley. I just might look past all the bugs and odd design choices because of my bias. 

Mirrors Edge 1 I consider as one of the most iconic Playstation 3 titles, a cult game. It's still relevant 10 years after release, mostly because it aged better  then pretty much any other game of this kind and also has a crazy level of gameplay-depth. Mirrors Edge 2 on the other hand will soon be forgotten – nothing special about this game. A lot worse than Mirrors Edge 1 in every regard. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone...

Just started playing a day or so ago after having had this sitting in my pile of shame since release day. I guess you could say I was worried that I wouldn't like it (loved the first Mirror's Edge) because of all the negative reviews and other people saying that this game was awful compared to the first.

Well, I'm liking it quite a bit so far. Mechanically I'm really happy with it. I can kind of understand Faith having to get her skills like the roll and coil back, as these aren't really things she could have practised in juvie. She would have gotten rusty during the year (or two) she spent there. The runner's vision is pretty handy for finding your way around the open world. I'll probably turn it down to how it was in the original once I get my bearings a bit better.

Graphically the game is gorgeous. I would have preferred the world to be a bit 'brighter' in terms of whiteness. The original really nailed the aesthetic of an almost painfully clean city with a dark heart beneath the surface. Catalyst allows glimpses of imperfection to mar the surface, which is cool, but I prefer the original.

Story-wise, can't really say that much yet. I fell in love with the original, so I was a bit worried that the writers got rid of Merc and changed Faith's family background. There was no need for that, as far as I can see. I'll give it a chance though. I'm sure Icarus is going to be an interesting character. I saw Celeste make an appearance in Exordium, so hopefully she will be in Catalyst too. Looking forward to continuing the journey!

I think that Catalyst is a good game (story aside), but I still think that the original is better for a couple of reasons, the first being that when the original came out we hadn't seen a game like this before, but now there are several other games that borrow heavily from the original. Secondly, I think the best parts of Catalyst are the story missions; they're great set pieces that show what the game and engine are truly capable of, despite being a bit too linear. Unfortunately, the majority of the game is not the story missions, but the open world, which, while it has its moments, isn't really all that great aside from providing something to do other than replay the same missions over and over. Getting all of the collectibles was fun, though.

9 minutes ago, Einigkeit said:

I think that Catalyst is a good game (story aside), but I still think that the original is better for a couple of reasons, the first being that when the original came out we hadn't seen a game like this before, but now there are several other games that borrow heavily from the original. Secondly, I think the best parts of Catalyst are the story missions; they're great set pieces that show what the game and engine are truly capable of, despite being a bit too linear. Unfortunately, the majority of the game is not the story missions, but the open world, which, while it has its moments, isn't really all that great aside from providing something to do other than replay the same missions over and over. Getting all of the collectibles was fun, though.

Well said! 

And I agree with that.  

I still view the original as my favourite but catalyst comes pretty darn close. 

The original took me by storm which is something that catalyst couldn't do just because I was already hyped for it you know? 

And to this day, this is one of my favourite franchises of all time. 

I think I've easily hit over a 100 hrs. 

I enjoyed both very much, but I'm split between choosing which is better. The movements, controls and mechanics from the original felt AMAZING, very tight and responsive. The music was very ambient and relaxing. The time trials were also very fun and had multiple routes to experiment with. However, I felt that the story was weak.

Catalyst on the other hand had a pretty good story, at least compared to the original. The movements and controls were ok, they felt a little slow and clunky compared to the original. The music was also pretty good. I didn't enjoy the timed races and story routes much because they somehow felt linear, even with the implementation of an "open world", probably because of the lack of multiple routes. What I did enjoy about the open world though was hunting for collectables. The collectables were placed in just the right places, giving opportunities to pull off some cool stunts.

Edited by EAGLEIYZ

8 minutes ago, EAGLEIYZ said:

I enjoyed both very much, but I'm split between choosing which is better. The movements, controls and mechanics from the original felt AMAZING, very tight and responsive. The music was very ambient and relaxing. The time trials were also very fun and had multiple routes to experiment with. However, I felt that the story was weak.

Catalyst on the other hand had a pretty good story, at least compared to the original. The movements and controls were ok, they felt a little slow and clunky compared to the original. The music was also pretty good. I didn't enjoy the timed races and story routes much because they somehow felt linear, even with the implementation of an "open world", probably because of the lack of multiple routes. What I did enjoy about the open world though was hunting for collectables. The collectables were placed in just the right places, giving opportunities to pull off some cool stunts.

I'd forgotten about the music somehow. I thought the original had great music, but Catalyst's soundtrack was largely forgettable, with the exception of a couple of tracks.

Bought for a fiver a few months ago, played 30 mins, sold to CEX for three quid. A truely awful game.

Hello everybody! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, a LOT of personal stuff has been going on. 

I don't like Faith in Catalyst, she's got the Reboot!Lara Croft syndrome of constant distress that's supposed to pass for heroic determination. The original one was cooler, less dramatic. Yes the story in Catalyst is more fleshed out but at the end of the day it felt like going in circles and accomplishing nothing. The original ends just as abruptly and on a bittersweet note as well, but at least something happened, you accomplished something that left you pumped for a sequel. Here it's as nondescript a sequel hook as you can get - "It goes on, I guess". Story aside I do think Catalyst improves the movement - everything's tighter and more responsive - but the design was lacking. Too many missions share the same stretches and the overworld gets repetitive the more you play/explore. Overall I feel like an opportunity was wasted in an origin story that goes through the same beats as the first game and barely "expands" on the mythology with some twists or details here and there that really weren't worth the hassle of a reboot.

Enjoyed Catalyst more.  Loved the open world but the story and characters were kind of meh, hope EA wake up and see the huge potential this franchise has or even better.... Sony goes and buy the IP.

On 5/6/2019 at 0:31 PM, Fr_0zt said:

Enjoyed Catalyst more.  Loved the open world but the story and characters were kind of meh, hope EA wake up and see the huge potential this franchise has or even better.... Sony goes and buy the IP.

That would be great but I don't think EA would be willing to give up Mirror's Edge, even if the series doesn't do all that well. They know people like the game and that people want more games, and EA wants money.

On 30.5.2019 at 0:07 AM, PortaledEdge said:

That would be great but I don't think EA would be willing to give up Mirror's Edge, even if the series doesn't do all that well. They know people like the game and that people want more games, and EA wants money.

Honestly, I don't think that there will ever be another Mirror's Edge. 

For me, the first one will always be remembered as one of the greatest videogames of all time. 

Posted (edited)

Story-wise Catalyst feels like it's a companion video game to some other media (usually movie). Characters weren't properly introduced as if we were already supposed to know them, saying that writing is weak is a huge understatement and I'm in half of the story right now and still have zero idea of what's going on and what happened in the past despite the fact that my character knows it all. That's bad writing, plain and simple. Story almost exclusively happens through voice chat anyway, those few cutscenes here and there are short and almost pointless. I know there was some comic book released prior to the game but I'm not paying any more money to EA to get background story that should've been in the game in the first place!

Gameplay-wise it's annoying running from point A to point B only to run to point C that's in A's direction only it seems even further away. Battles are terrible. Game is too repetitive.

I played original ME years ago and while I remember the story was weak I do remember it more fondly than this mess. It at least explained more at the beginning. Maybe gameplay was similar back then but that would only mean it aged badly and Catalyst was a bad game right from the release.

I'd given original ME 4/5 back in the day. Catalyst is 3/5 and depending on how the story goes might even go down to 2/5. I regret buying it already even though it was on sale for only 5 pounds or so. Got a huge backlog so this game is kind of a waste of time. At least platinum trophy seems easy enough.

Edit: Just learned they developed it with Anita Sarkeesian as consultant. That explains A LOT. Had I known this I would've been much more careful purchasing this game.

Edited by Terminus124