Days Gone: PS4 exclusive revealed at E3

KratosTheMighty

I'm surprised this hasn't been made already. This game looks, and sounds pretty good.

It stars someone you might be familiar with if you've seen Being Human(US) or played Star Wars The Force Unleashed I&II

Sam Witwer

More info on the game

DG2-e1465871988199.jpg

Edited by KratosTheMighty
  • Like 3

There wasn't a thread about this yet? For shame! Guess there were just too many awesome new games in that Sony conference, something had to be forgotten in the turmoil...

First impression of this game is great but I'll wait a bit before I get excited about it. Got a whole bunch of things upcoming that I'm excited for and afraid some will let me down...

It looks great! Glad to see Sony Bend making a AAA title.

It does indeed. You can ride your motorcycle through the world, which is open world btw. Imagine being chased by a horde while you're cruising through a forest? You'll also be able to craft weapons, upgrade your bike, pretty much just macguyvering shit as you go along. 

• Like 1

This got me pretty hyped when I watched Sony's conference. Graphically it doesn't look stunning or anything but I think the story and gameplay is going to be pretty fun.

I think it's still early on in the development, so this most likely isn't the final look. Even so, I'm sure some sacrifices will have to be made to allow that many enemies on screen at any given time. Looks don't supersede performance. At least imo.

• Like 3

This looks fantastic. Glad Sony Bend was working on something worth our time. I think the game looks great and the gameplay looks good. Can't wait to see more of this in the next few months. I am expecting a release date to be announced at PSX. 

Gonna say February 2017. 

Personally didn't care for The Last of Us but this one does look pretty good.
But kind of feel like there are enough Zombie games as it is.
Then again it might be partly because I would rather have more games with dragons and dinosaurs.
But this game does seem like one of the few zombie games I might like anyway.

The gameplay looks really neat, but I get the feeling that the story is going to be generic. I'm kind of tired of the 'dead spouse' plotline.

But truthfully, even if the story isn't great, the gameplay looks fun enough for me to play it anyway.

• Like 1

This looks like the zombie game I have always wanted. Frantic, crazy, creepy and still taking itself seriously. I wasn't really a huge fan of the Dead Rising games because of the later attribute.

Getting a real World War Z vibe seeing all of the zombies tumble over each other

Remember though, they aren't zombies... they're infected. Still living but infected. They're called "Freakers" and depending on your age when infected you become a different variant. Children freakers are called newts. They look like an even more fucked up version of gollum. 

This looks like Last of Us if it featured the cast of Sons of Anarchy.  The voice acting, the feel, the plot, the tone, even the music are nearly identical.  The only difference I see is you ride a bike, wear a leather jacket, and there's no little girl you're responsible for (but give them time, I'm sure that will be in the next trailer).  I loved Last of Us, and I still might play this, but I really don't think we need a clone only 3 years later.

So psyched for this. Nice to see a 'zombie' game that is more about defensive strategies and outrunning them, rather than just spraying them with bullets. Favorite game at E3 for me  :lol:

Strange there's no 'tired of zombies' comments on the Resi 7 or Walking Dead threads....

I thought it looked good, very good in fact, but as always it comes down to how well made the game is.   Engaging storyline, fleshed out characters, fun gameplay, intuitive hud, smooth mechanics etc...if they nail most of the basics it should be good, regardless of the genre.

The horde pouring out the train carriage was fantastic to look at and the ensuing chase was pretty exciting I thought.   The only thing that has me apprehensive is where the narrative endgame is going.   Are we figuring out where or how the infection came to be, and looking for a cure scenario, or a simpler lead the way to safe(er) territory for NPCs...   Again if it's well executed, but escape or remedy seem to be the limitations for the zombie apocalypse unfortunately, unless there's a tongue-in-cheek, comedic take on it.

Still, looks good.  ;)

Not sure why some people are so down on this game. It looks great! Yeah, I get that there are plenty of zombie games around (even though they aren't actually zombies in this game) and maybe you're tired of that. That's not all there is to this game though. I like the idea of riding around on a motorcycle, scavenging for parts and completing quests. The story sounds interesting and the spin they have about the infected being alive and needing water, etc is pretty cool. All I'm saying is that some of you are quick to write this one off. Give it a chance, will ya? I mean on paper The Last of Us is "just another zombie game" and look how that turned out.

I'm also finally glad to see Bend's new game! I loved Golden Abyss and I don't think that game got the credit it deserved. Maybe now they're doing a PS4 game it will.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

Indeed. It doesn't look like a run of the mill "zombie" game. To be honest, all zombie games are different. They treat the characters, the environment, and even zombies differently. This game looks great, which is why I made the thread. I also think Sam Witwer will do a pretty good job as the main character.

I was actually pretty bummed with TLOU and their 'literary zonbies'. Nothing wrong with regular zombies if you use it well.

Also, zombies in games means an enemy that you can kill with just about zero moral conflict.

Strange there's no 'tired of zombies' comments on the Resi 7 or Walking Dead threads....

It helps that those are established franchises (long runners, even, if you count other media for TWD), while Days Gone is another new IP. We expect zombies from RE, TWD, Dead Island, Dead Rising...

That being said, I've heard more than a few people say they prefer Wolf Among Us over The Walking Dead precisely because there's now zombies. The walkers seem to sell better though, which is why they are already on their way to a fourth title. How many of their games after TWD S1 have even gotten a second title?

I was actually pretty bummed with TLOU and their 'literary zonbies'. Nothing wrong with regular zombies if you use it well.

Also, zombies in games means an enemy that you can kill with just about zero moral conflict.

It helps that those are established franchises (long runners, even, if you count other media for TWD), while Days Gone is another new IP. We expect zombies from RE, TWD, Dead Island, Dead Rising...

That being said, I've heard more than a few people say they prefer Wolf Among Us over The Walking Dead precisely because there's now zombies. The walkers seem to sell better though, which is why they are already on their way to a fourth title. How many of their games after TWD S1 have even gotten a second title?

They're not 'zombies' though, they're alive, albeit infected, that said, there's usually little moral conflict killing just about any enemies in gaming, unless it's a directed dilemma or reveal, SotC for example.   Can't ever recall being morally compromised gunning down humans, soldiers, animals, aliens, robots or whatever type of sentience in most any games, save a scant few exceptions, and as I said, there's usually a directed point made of those situations.

Long running franchises is a fair point I suppose, but still, are Resi, TWD, DI, DR etc... immune just because they were around earlier?, because really Days Gone looks a better game than quite a lot of the entries in all those franchises...   I do take the point on board though.

I preferred TWAU to TWD, but that had nothing to do with zombies and was simply because I thought it was a great game, just edging TWD1, and I actually preferred TftB best of all, it was hilariously fantastic!   I've no problem people being tired of zombies, it's the same as those sick of military FPSs, pixelated platformers and yet another AC game, but you'd think if that was the case people would be tired of it regardless of its name brand, expected or not.   Just thought it was a bit harsh to slap a new IP with that tired tag when Bend look like they've put a lot of effort into making what looks like a very good game.

In all likelihood TWD sells and garners sequels, not just for the quality of the games, but for the recognition and popularity of the TV show, as well as the comics.   Would be great to get TWAU and Tales sequels though.  :)